rs1971

K1 -vs- K2 and General Questions

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Apologies in advance if this isn't exactly the right forum for this question but I didn't see anything for general Visa discussion.

So, my girlfriend and I have recently started to talk about marriage and I just wanted to get a little advice on what strategy we should pursue. I am a natural born US citizen and she is a Colombiana who is currently living in Santiago, Chile where she has just recently begun a Master's program which she will be finishing in December '09. Her not finishing her Masters isn't an option so December '09 would be the earliest she could leave Santiago (permanently).

Our goal then is to get her to the States as soon after December '09 as possible. It seems that there are, generally speaking, two options. She can either come her on a K1 and we'd get married here or I can travel to Colombia (or even Santiago) and we could marry there and then she could come on a K3. I'm having trouble figuring out the pluses and minuses between these two approaches.

One other thing I'll mention is that we'll be spending three weeks together in August, traveling through Chile/Uruguay/Argentina and she'll be most of January and February here (as things stand now on her Tourist Visa). Does it make sense for us to try to use either of these dates to help us along in the process (eg, try to get her a K1 by January, or maybe get married in Chile) or would we be better off just waiting to start the process after she finishes school? I suspect the latter, but thought I'd throw this out there. Okay, thanks in advance for any thoughts anyone might have. This looks like a great site.

-rs1971

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I think overall, K-1 is a faster process, but having said that, there's nothing that says a K-1 will take EXACTLY this long, and a K-3 will take EXACTLY this long. It fluctuates from month, to year, to country, to situation.

Basically, if you get a K-1, you get the visa, go to the US, and within 90 days get married. Then she can stay, file for AOS, etc. If you pursue a K-3, you need to get married in her country (just a civil marriage will do) and then apply. Depending on the process for marriage in Chile, that could take a couple months, then the K-3 process could take up to another 6, 7, 8 months, or more.

If you get married in Chile, you might also want to consider a CR-1. It's just like the K-3, but without the 129f petition, and when you arrive in the US, you get residence status so you don't need AOS and they can also work immediately. We started as K-3 and didn't get our 129f approved at the same time as our 130, so we were changed to a CR-1 by USCIS. It wasn't our first choice, but it worked out none the less, in not much more time than the K-3 would have.

You can't really say "I'd like the visa by _________" (month). It just won't work like that.

I-130 (almost 5 months)

12/04/2007 I-130 sent

05/01/2008 I-130 NOA2 (approval) from CSC!

I-129f

02/06/2008 I-129f sent

05/30/2008 I-129f NOA2 (approval)--too late!

NVC (changed from K-3 to CR-1) (31 days)

05/06/2008 case received and case # assigned

05/12/2008 DS-3032 and AOS bill generated

05/13/2008 DS-3032 sent (by e-mail)

05/13/2008 AOS bill invoiced (paid online)

05/14/2008 AOS bill PAID and cover sheet printed

05/16/2008 AOS package sent to NVC (FedEx from Peru)

05/19/2008 AOS package received by NVC (9:30 AM)

05/20/2008 DS-3032 Choice of Agent accepted (confirmation by e-mail)

05/20/2008 AOS entered into NVC system

05/21/2008 NVC recording says I have info missing (false RFE confirmed by NVC operator!)

05/24/2008 IV bill invoiced (paid online)--bad timing-Memorial Day weekend!

05/28/2008 IV bill PAID and cover sheet printed

05/28/2008 DS-230 sent to NVC (FedEx from Peru)--received DS3032 via snail mail!

05/30/2008 DS-230 received by NVC (9:40 AM)

06/02/2008 DS-230 entered into NVC system

06/06/2008 case complete at NVC!

06/12/2008 sent to embassy in Lima, Peru!

06/16/2008 papers arrived at Embassy

06/18/2008 received interview packet (in US)

07/02/2008 medical exam

07/11/2008 Interview in Lima, Peru!

08/20/2008 POE Atlanta, then fly to Seattle

09/05/2008 Received Welcome Letter

10/20/2008 1st wedding anniversary!

10/20/2009 2nd anniversary!

02/06/2010 Daughter born!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

For a K-1, she would also have 6 months before having to even use it after it's issued. I'm not sure if the K-3/CR-1 are the same since that isn't the route we took; but if it is, keep that in mind for your processing. You might want to have a bit of a cushion so she isn't waiting after she's ready to move.

PJ

1-21-09 Getting Naturalization documents together.

smiley-995.pngsmiley-996.png

Disclaimer: i dunno nuthin bout birthin no babys, or bout imugrayshun.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

rs - your options are exactly the same ones that people told you on PBH :lol: its in how you want to do it - thats up to you. If I remember its crucial to her to finish her masters - so wait till she is about to finish (one semester or so before she finishes) And then apply for whichever visa you choose - K1 or K3 - the worst case will be she may have to spend a couple months more in Colombia - but doesn't she want to see her family one more time before leaving for USA? Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Apologies in advance if this isn't exactly the right forum for this question but I didn't see anything for general Visa discussion.

So, my girlfriend and I have recently started to talk about marriage and I just wanted to get a little advice on what strategy we should pursue. I am a natural born US citizen and she is a Colombiana who is currently living in Santiago, Chile where she has just recently begun a Master's program which she will be finishing in December '09. Her not finishing her Masters isn't an option so December '09 would be the earliest she could leave Santiago (permanently).

Our goal then is to get her to the States as soon after December '09 as possible. It seems that there are, generally speaking, two options. She can either come her on a K1 and we'd get married here or I can travel to Colombia (or even Santiago) and we could marry there and then she could come on a K3. I'm having trouble figuring out the pluses and minuses between these two approaches.

One other thing I'll mention is that we'll be spending three weeks together in August, traveling through Chile/Uruguay/Argentina and she'll be most of January and February here (as things stand now on her Tourist Visa). Does it make sense for us to try to use either of these dates to help us along in the process (eg, try to get her a K1 by January, or maybe get married in Chile) or would we be better off just waiting to start the process after she finishes school? I suspect the latter, but thought I'd throw this out there. Okay, thanks in advance for any thoughts anyone might have. This looks like a great site.

-rs1971

K1 is generally the fastest way to a visa but you aren't in a hurry. If I were in your shoes, I would seriously consider marrying in Columbia sometime in late 2008. You might be able to marry in Santiago but sometimes the process for two foreigners to marry can be cumbersome. You might check that out.

Then once you're married, I'd skip the K3 and just file an I-130 for a CR1 immigrant visa. Her interview and visa issue would be about a year after filing and she'd have six months to enter the US. Once she enters, she has permanent resident status, so is work authorized and would have a conditional two-year green card in hand within a month. The K3 is faster (you're not in a hurry.) but more expensive and takes several months to be work authorized after entry. It does offer some additional flexibility in that you have two years to use it after issue. K3 must interview in the country of marriage, so that can complicate your situation too.

K2 is for the child of a fiance(e).

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.