KarenCee

I am sick...

46 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We too, have been through this, with my fiancé's ex, relating to his 14 year old daughter.

The reason for the "permission" letter is to prevent parental kidnapping, but it is not a permission letter, so much as it is proof that the non-traveling parent is aware of the trip. This is in conjunction with a bill called "The Hague Convention". It is not an option for the non-traveling parent to withhold the travel letter unless:

1- the child is going into an unstable area (war zone or politically unstable)

2- the child, should they be injured in the foreign country, will not have proper medical care.

3- the trip interferes with the child's education

4- the traveling parent doesn't have adequate medical insurance coverage in case the child is injured while abroad.

5- the trip is to participate in a dangerous activity (sky-diving, safari, you know, somewhere where you are deliberately putting the child in a high-risk situation)

Also, this travel letter is not permitted BY THE COURTS

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry about the double post, I hit enter too fast!!!

We too, have been through this, with my fiancé's ex, relating to his 14 year old daughter.

The reason for the "permission" letter is to prevent parental kidnapping, but it is not a permission letter, so much as it is proof that the non-traveling parent is aware of the trip. This is in conjunction with a bill called "The Hague Convention". It is not an option for the non-traveling parent to withhold the travel letter unless:

2- the child, should they be injured in the foreign country, will not have proper medical care.

4- the traveling parent doesn't have adequate medical insurance coverage in case the child is injured while abroad.

5- the trip is to participate in a dangerous activity (sky-diving, safari, you know, somewhere where you are deliberately putting the child in a high-risk situation)

Also, this travel letter is not permitted, BY THE COURTS, to be used as a tool of manipulation by the witholding parent, against either the child or the traveling parent. There could be severe financial penalties to the witholding parent for not signing the letter, and could even result in detention for causing a "nuisance" case in court.

This is all information that we've used against my fiancé's ex, and to date, it's worked pretty well. Good luck to you!!

If you would like more information concerning The Hague Convention, try googling it, or e-mail me at carr_122@hotmail.com

Please ensure that you put something into the subject line letting me know that you're contacting me concerning this, because I usually delete all messages from unfamiliar addresses.

Good luck to you!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Sorry about the double post, I hit enter too fast!!!

Also, this travel letter is not permitted, BY THE COURTS, to be used as a tool of manipulation by the witholding parent, against either the child or the traveling parent. There could be severe financial penalties to the witholding parent for not signing the letter, and could even result in detention for causing a "nuisance" case in court.

This is all information that we've used against my fiancé's ex, and to date, it's worked pretty well. Good luck to you!!

If you would like more information concerning The Hague Convention, try googling it, or e-mail me at carr_122@hotmail.com

Please ensure that you put something into the subject line letting me know that you're contacting me concerning this, because I usually delete all messages from unfamiliar addresses.

Good luck to you!

Thank you...this information is priceless to me right now!!!! I have emailed you about this. I will also google The Hauge Convention. Methinks when I get armed with enough information he will back down and stop being a jerk.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
Anna is very upset about this...she has cried quite a bit about it. I'm frantic, tbh. I've googled, searched everywhere else, and I'm about ready to call Canada Customs just to see what they tell me...then again, that might make things worse.

I would hate for any child to hate their parent, but I agree...she won't forget things like this. How can a man who claims to love his child do this to her? I can only hope that he will change his mind. *sigh* 9 more years of his #######....

I'm with you on that one, Karen. I've got 9 more years of it too. But I have to deal with his new wife as well. She is 25 and is convinced she knows everything about parenting. She insists on being in on all custody/visitation arrangements and is the one who emails and calls me. She is condescending to me and always tries to tell me how important she is. It's maddening, but most of the time for the sake of Bella, I hold my tongue and let things go.

I don't know what to tell you about this except that any time I've gone into Canada (even when my ex and I were still married) I had to show a letter that gave permission by the other parent to travel with my kids. If you are the primary custodial parent can you get something from the courts that preclude you needing a letter of permission from your ex?

I wish you luck. Try not to get too worked up over it, because I guarantee that is what he wants.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Timeline
Anna is very upset about this...she has cried quite a bit about it. I'm frantic, tbh. I've googled, searched everywhere else, and I'm about ready to call Canada Customs just to see what they tell me...then again, that might make things worse.

I would hate for any child to hate their parent, but I agree...she won't forget things like this. How can a man who claims to love his child do this to her? I can only hope that he will change his mind. *sigh* 9 more years of his #######....

I'm with you on that one, Karen. I've got 9 more years of it too. But I have to deal with his new wife as well. She is 25 and is convinced she knows everything about parenting. She insists on being in on all custody/visitation arrangements and is the one who emails and calls me. She is condescending to me and always tries to tell me how important she is. It's maddening, but most of the time for the sake of Bella, I hold my tongue and let things go.

I don't know what to tell you about this except that any time I've gone into Canada (even when my ex and I were still married) I had to show a letter that gave permission by the other parent to travel with my kids. If you are the primary custodial parent can you get something from the courts that preclude you needing a letter of permission from your ex?

I wish you luck. Try not to get too worked up over it, because I guarantee that is what he wants.

That's the plan...to get something from the courts that will preclude this document. He's using it to be manipulative and controlling, which is one of the main reasons WHY we are divorced now! I am the primary custodial parent too and what makes this situation awful is that he's never had a problem before. When he signed the consent form to get her passport he KNEW what that meant...that we would be travelling internationally. I don't have time now to petition the courts for this, it wouldn't make the docket in time for this trip. I can only hope she can convince her father to sign it. She's already told him she wants to go. I figured girlfriend #11 would be a calming influence on him. *rolls eyes*

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Fortunately my daughter is now 12 and a half. She's old enough to make her wishes known in court if need be. Since that incident with her dad ,and subsequently his complaints getting quashed in court.....we haven't seen or heard much from him.

She even said to him, "I don't understand why I can't see Australia. Why are you being mean to me?"

He didn't have much of an answer for that.

But he was being such a pain that I was awarded full physical and legal custody. (Really good and very expensive attorney)

Now we're recouping from the financial losses, but I can take her anywhere in the world I want to now.

Just remember him being a jerk will come back to bite him. I know my daughter is like me in that she loves to travel. Her dad trying to stop that didn't sit well with her at all.

I-130

Service Center :California Service Center

Consulate : Sydney, Australia

Marriage : 2007-05-15

I-130 Sent : 2008-04-28

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-05-05

US Entry : 2007-11-13

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Touched 6/04/08

Port of Entry : Los Angeles

POE Date : 2007-11-13

Adjustment of Status:

CIS Office : Chula Vista CA

Date Filed : 2008-04-28

NOA Date : 2008-05-05

Bio. Appt. : 2008-05-22

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Employment Authorization Document:

CIS Office : Chicago National Office

Filing Method : Mail

Filing Instance : First

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Touched 6/04/08

2008-07-03 EAD Card Production Ordered

Touched 7/4/08

Timeline

Just thought of something.

Do you have the ability to do an emergency exparte order?

Here its on Monday and Wednesday morning you can walk into court in the morning and fill out a form to see a judge and request a temporary order, in this case allowing you to take your trip, and then revisit it when you get back.

Then when you get back you can have a hearing, and then have a permanent order allowing you to take her out of the country.

If I were you I'd call your family court and see if you can do something like that. You will have to notify your ex if you can get in to see a judge, but maybe that will do the trick. Be nice if a judge told him to pull his head out and quit being a jerk.

I-130

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Touched 6/04/08

Adjustment of Status:

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Touched 6/04/08

Touched 7/4/08

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Karen,

My ex is doing the same.....won't give me permission to get the kids passports. Keep in mind this is the one that sees his kids maybe once every 3 months and calls them once a month, pays no child support, etc. He only live 5 miles away too. We're going to end up taking him to court over the matter I'm sure. Sorry you're ex is being a jerk.

Timeline
Karen,

My ex is doing the same.....won't give me permission to get the kids passports. Keep in mind this is the one that sees his kids maybe once every 3 months and calls them once a month, pays no child support, etc. He only live 5 miles away too. We're going to end up taking him to court over the matter I'm sure. Sorry you're ex is being a jerk.

Maybe this will help?

http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds3...ds3053_846.html

Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16: DS-3053

Complete Form DS-3053 Statement of Consent or Special Circumstances: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16 online now.

This form should be notarized and submitted (within 3 months of being notarized), along with the DS-11 Application for Passport, for minors under age 16 as evidence of parental permission if:

• You are a non-applying parent or guardian consenting to passport issuance for your child, or
  • You are an applying parent or guardian, and the written consent of the non-applying parent or guardian cannot be obtained
Duration of Consent: The written consent (from the non-applying parent) that accompanies an application for a new passport must not be more than 3 months old. The applying parent will need to submit a new written consent if the consent on file pre-dates the new application.

If you would prefer to complete the current Form DS-3053 online or by hand, please do so legibly and in black ink. Illegible applications may delay application processing times.

The part in red...do you think that will apply to your situation? I think I remember seeing where you have to explain the circumstances by which consent cannot be obtained. I'm just wondering if your circumstances fit this criteria. I hope things change and you're able to get their passports. I know my ex drug his feet about signing it, but he eventually did. Miracles do happen...and I'm praying for one now. :)

Timeline
Just thought of something.

Do you have the ability to do an emergency exparte order?

Here its on Monday and Wednesday morning you can walk into court in the morning and fill out a form to see a judge and request a temporary order, in this case allowing you to take your trip, and then revisit it when you get back.

Then when you get back you can have a hearing, and then have a permanent order allowing you to take her out of the country.

If I were you I'd call your family court and see if you can do something like that. You will have to notify your ex if you can get in to see a judge, but maybe that will do the trick. Be nice if a judge told him to pull his head out and quit being a jerk.

TBH, I don't know...but I will check into this. Maybe just the thought of me going to this length to be able to travel with my daughter will straighten his ####### up. He is and always will be a control freak! My girl loves loves loves to travel, especially flying on airplanes. I was given the name of a very good (translate kick azz) lawyer by my dental hygenist. Methinks I'll be calling him next week.

Timeline

My girl is the same way. Watches the travel channel and asks all the time, "Can we go there?"

My attorney actually had write ups about him. He was known as a cockroach in a suit (God Bless him). Pricey....but AWESOME.

He has an actual hammerhead shark hanging up on his wall in his office.

I knew we were in good hands when we walked into court (this was after I had been doing the court stuff without an attorney) and the opposing counsels eyes got big and said, "When did she get him?"

That moment was worth every penny.

Edited by Mrs. BB

I-130

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Touched 6/04/08

Adjustment of Status:

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Touched 5/8/2008

Touched 5/16/08

Touched 6/04/08

Touched 7/4/08

Sorry I can't give any advice. I hope that things will fall into place for you and your little girl's travel plans.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Timeline

After an agonising weekend...diphead decides to give me the letter yesterday. I emailed him with the information Carrie gave me (bless her heart...I love it!!!!!) and I suppose the threat of legal action is what got his butt in motion plus the fact that our daughter called him and asked him to sign it, cos she wants to go fly on the airplane and go to Canada.

The thing that pi$$es me off so much about this whole deal is...he had already signed and had the letter notarised DAYS before! So when he tells me he won't sign it, he had already signed it. AUGH, he's still trying to be manipulative! Anywho, I plan on taking action so that this doesn't happen again.

Thanks SOOOOOO much to everyone who suggested things, gave moral support, or just wished us the best. I don't know what I would do without you guys. (F)

After an agonising weekend...diphead decides to give me the letter yesterday. I emailed him with the information Carrie gave me (bless her heart...I love it!!!!!) and I suppose the threat of legal action is what got his butt in motion plus the fact that our daughter called him and asked him to sign it, cos she wants to go fly on the airplane and go to Canada.

The thing that pi$$es me off so much about this whole deal is...he had already signed and had the letter notarised DAYS before! So when he tells me he won't sign it, he had already signed it. AUGH, he's still trying to be manipulative! Anywho, I plan on taking action so that this doesn't happen again.

Thanks SOOOOOO much to everyone who suggested things, gave moral support, or just wished us the best. I don't know what I would do without you guys. (F)

I'm glad it worked out for you :) People that are trying to manipulate often counts on the ignorance of the other person, but when you put them in front of the facts.....they are powerless ;)

Enjoy your trip Karen :)

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.