Henia

MENA WCs

44 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Inspired by a few comments about WCs on another thread ...

What are the toliers like in your SO's country? Turkish style squat toliets or the English style sit down toliet? Do they use bidets for cleaning up only or do they offer a roll of paper too? Running water or buckets of water? Just curious ...

Here in Algeria ... there are both types of toliets. But generally still most homes and everywhere out in public are the Turkish style toliets.

Water has been a problem in Algeria, so of course the city water system and indoor plumbing has not reached all areas.

Generally toliets in the homes are clean, very fragantly smelling of hard chemicals like bleach. A bucket of water and a cup is there for cleaning up. I have yet to see in an Algerian home toliet paper. Only found in the home's of foreigners and Algerians who have lived aboard.

But the toliets outside ... are the nastiest thing you could ever see! I try to not drink too much when I am out. But in the emergency cases, I go to the bus station where I can pay 10dinars (nothing in American money) but here same as loaf of bread for that quick release. Toliets are generally not seperated. But the doorman is generally nice enough to exit it out all the men ... Except no toliet paper, even soap ... and many times no water. I usually have something with me.

Toliet paper is sold in the markets, buuut only in the larger superettes. Rolls are expensive! (Baby wipes outrageously priced! BTW) But I see Algerians, the few that do buy it, use it for cleaning the nose!

And now you!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jordan
Timeline

my in laws have two bathrooms in their home in jordan....one was an arabian style toilet with walk in shower, the other was an american style toilet, a bidet, and a full bath and shower...

funny story, sofyan has a handicap brother who cannot get into the tub which is why they built him the walk in shower, so he always used that one...and me, i always used the american toilet and tub obviously...so all the nieces and nephews referred to the bathrooms as

"hamam Kelly" and "hamam Adnan"

img_0169.jpgimg_0192.jpg

qo5Tm6.png

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Inside: Squat type in the little shower room under the stairs, bucket of water, toilet paper (very soft, thin, and pink), and something resembling a ski rope for -- um -- foreign visitors. :blush: Extremely clean, even with 11 people staying over one night and using just the one. I still don't know how they managed that. I got used to it quickly.

Outside, well, I tried to time things so that I wouldn't have to do that, but I carried baby wipes everywhere. There were some nice ones out and about, often Western style, usually with an attendant.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

I hate Algerian toilets or squat toilets. I don't like using them at all I'm grateful to enjoy this now luxury American Toilet :thumbs:

I remember vaguely my parents every year before visiting Algeria they'd teach me how to use the squat toilet I was just like uhh :blink: no paper? Here in America our family uses paper AND water.

My dad eventually imported/exported things from France to build a French style home there over the years and we have American toilet there. My spouse bought and installed an american toilet in his mothers house because he knows I won't be able to use. Going out to the salon, shopping, etc anywhere basically I just have to deal with using the squat toilets. My aunts or husband keep a toilet paper roll there for me in the car for when we go out. That's one thing I never miss.

بحبك يا حبيبي اكمني بهواك و بحس انك مني

5474201_bodyshot_300x400_1214598846979.gif

5474626_bodyshot_300x400_1214601075246.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Squat style in family's home in Morocco. I remember the pink TP too! There was a hose thingie there for cleaning as well.

His aunt and uncle had a regular toilet bowl. I much prefer that on, well you know, certain bathroom occasions.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Like Kelly's description, there was two bathrooms -- one modern style, next to a bidet. Of course, TP don't go down the plumbing. Which is something I got weirded out about at first, but got used to. My honey did not explain that part -- but I quickly caught on.

The other bathroom, which I never went into except for one occasion (doing laundry), has the hole in ground thing, with a shower. When my honey brought us home, he showed me the "modern" bathroom, and other rooms. I pointed out the 2nd bathroom, he said "oh, you won't use it" "Why?" oooh..

Outside, I realized that it is a good idea to bring own wipes.... only very seldom are TP offered. Most had the American style TP. One time, I had to pee.... but didn't because I looked into every stall, and NO American style toilets! Um, there is actually a picture of me going into that WC specifically.... I did not know my picture was being taken! So here's the WC that wasn't so..... (for me):

IMG_2079.jpg

hmmm, sorry if it appears side ways.

Filed: Country: Libya
Timeline

At my hubby's home in Libya, he just redid his bathroom before coming here. It's still the traditional all in one room with the Arab toilet and shower together and completely tiled in a gorgeous green tile but he updated it by adding an American style toilet beside the Arab toilet. I understand no one has used the American toilet to this day :whistle:

I have used the Arab toilet once in my life, here in the US! Because I went to a masjid in LA and that was all they had that worked that day :unsure: I didn't care for it but managed without falling in lol

I don't know how anyone uses tissue paper with a bidet as I've found that just makes a nasty mess so I don't even bother buying TP anymore. My hubby installed spray hoses on both toilets when he got here and we use water. My mom brings a roll with her when she visits :lol:

Muslimwoman-1-1.jpg

99GEAq-6owA

We need a Ramadan!! (part one)

VP's Blog

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

ahmeds family home had two (squat style) but the sisters house where we stayed had one small old squat on the 3rd floor off the balcony but a very nice large american style with tile shower next to the bedroom on second floor

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Like Kelly's description, there was two bathrooms -- one modern style, next to a bidet. Of course, TP don't go down the plumbing. Which is something I got weirded out about at first, but got used to. My honey did not explain that part -- but I quickly caught on.

The other bathroom, which I never went into except for one occasion (doing laundry), has the hole in ground thing, with a shower. When my honey brought us home, he showed me the "modern" bathroom, and other rooms. I pointed out the 2nd bathroom, he said "oh, you won't use it" "Why?" oooh..

Outside, I realized that it is a good idea to bring own wipes.... only very seldom are TP offered. Most had the American style TP. One time, I had to pee.... but didn't because I looked into every stall, and NO American style toilets! Um, there is actually a picture of me going into that WC specifically.... I did not know my picture was being taken! So here's the WC that wasn't so..... (for me):

IMG_2079.jpg

hmmm, sorry if it appears side ways.

BTW, Jordan looks very beautiful from whatever little I can see in the photo. My friend is Jordanian but went on a study program to finish an Arabic language course in Jordan and wow through the web cam Amman was sooooooooooooo beautiful!!!

My husband's family's home in Algiera had two bathrooms, both american style sit-down toilets :thumbs: and both had toilet paper and also a faucet and bucket. NOT a very strong flusher though.... Everything needed a little help to get down, apparently what they would do is use the water an dbucket to push everythign down the pipes.. I caught on eventually...

Edited by hollyw

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
I hate Algerian toilets or squat toilets. I don't like using them at all I'm grateful to enjoy this now luxury American Toilet :thumbs:

I remember vaguely my parents every year before visiting Algeria they'd teach me how to use the squat toilet I was just like uhh :blink: no paper? Here in America our family uses paper AND water.

My dad eventually imported/exported things from France to build a French style home there over the years and we have American toilet there. My spouse bought and installed an american toilet in his mothers house because he knows I won't be able to use. Going out to the salon, shopping, etc anywhere basically I just have to deal with using the squat toilets. My aunts or husband keep a toilet paper roll there for me in the car for when we go out. That's one thing I never miss.

That is why I try to avoid the public toliets .... imagine the smell in that small cramped cubicle ... then imagine slipping on God knows what weird stuff on the floor. OMG NASTY!

And the public baths are not much better either ... funny since you pay in my opionion alot of money to go there, but there is an attendant. :wacko:

Also imagine being pregnant trying to use asquat toliet ... Urrrgggh ...but when I was in the hospital ... there was 2 toliets (squat and sit down) .. guess which one I picked? vomit-smiley-31.gif I never imagined women could be nasty!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

what does "WC" stand for?

:unsure:

The one in their appt was sit down type but you had to fill a bucket of water and pour it in the thing in order to flush, and no tp at all. The whole bathroom is always soaking wet because basically the shower is in the same spot as the toilet. The bidet is a metal pipe that shoots out from the toilet so basically you're sitting on the toilet and this small thin metal pipe is aimed at your azz ready to shoot water when you're all done.

I always got the portable Charmin before I flew there for both inside the house and for when I went outside at a store or restaurant. Had to be real discreet though and make sure the tp was buried in the trash since you couldn't flush it.

Our bidet here is a hose but unfortunately it broke last week and there was water coming into the basement from it. THAT was fun. LOL

Edited by bridget

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
what does "WC" stand for?

:unsure:

women and children first. :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

That is why I try to avoid the public toliets .... imagine the smell in that small cramped cubicle ... then imagine slipping on God knows what weird stuff on the floor. OMG NASTY!

And the public baths are not much better either ... funny since you pay in my opionion alot of money to go there, but there is an attendant. :wacko:

Also imagine being pregnant trying to use asquat toliet ... Urrrgggh ...but when I was in the hospital ... there was 2 toliets (squat and sit down) .. guess which one I picked? vomit-smiley-31.gif I never imagined women could be nasty!

small CRAPPED on cubicle

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.