trailmix

Butter or Margarine

Butter or Margarine  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Butter or Margarine - which one and why?

• I only use butter!
    • I only use margarine!
    • I only use some other kind of spread
    • I don't use butter or margarine or some other kind of spread
    • I use butter on bread etc and margarine for baking
    • I'm not answering this poll!

45 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My Father always used to keep a can for drippings too, never did figure out why, he didn't eat it :lol:

I don't even 'get' margarine, don't understand it (although I do realize that coffeemate is akin to the same thing :lol: ). Butter in Calgary is now almost $4 a pound and I have a theory that the price keeps going up because too many people are using margarine! Not that the price will come down now if everyone switches, but anyhoo.

I think it's about $2 a pound here on sale, not sure what the regular price is.

I too use olive oil for frying, I used to cook with butter, but not really anymore and if I am having say toast with peanut butter or jam or something, I don't put butter on it anymore and don't really notice the difference.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm with Laura ... what exactly is margerine? I was once told that it was the left overs from everything else (ie. garbage) in the processing of dairy products. I don't like to eat something if I don't know what it is.

Plus, butter tastes way better imo!

N-400

02/08/12 - Mailed N-400

02/14/12 - NOA

03/02/12 - Biometrics Letter

03/22/12 - Biometrics

04/09/12 - Interview Notice

05/16/12 - Interview and Oath - USC

ROC

11/16/10 - Mailed ROC

11/18/10 - Delivered to VSC

11/19/10 - NOA1

11/23/10 - Cheque cashed

12/29/10 - Biometrics

05/06/11 - ROC Approved

05/16/11 - Green card received. Yay! (6 months)

There's diamonds in the sidewalk, the gutters lined in song

Dear I hear that beer flows through the faucets all night long

There's treasure for the taking, for any hard working (wo)man

Who will make his home in the American Land

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

We use both...buying butter when it's on special and freezing it. Lately we've been using a lot of olive oil too. I have a big bottle of canola oil that rarely gets used but oh man do we go through the olive oil! We use Country Crock spread...but I'm looking for a way to take butter and make it spreadable right from the fridge rather than buying it that way...costs too darn much! Besides, I'm all for making things myself if I can.

The only thing I've found lard to be good for is making soap. :D

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Well, I grew up using butter, then we switched to margarine when we moved with my stepdad....

So really, I don't mind either. I like both as long as the margarine has that buttery taste. We have both here and use butter for some recipes as well.

The only thing is I don't like cold butter because you can't spread it, but when left out it becomes all liquid, so I use margarine. A non-hygrogenated type with no trans fat and Omega 3 in it, it tastes pretty good.

So any tip for the butter ?

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Margarine will kill you.

Dramatic?

Hahaha....well, it is really not natural.

I love butter and I use it half the time.

The other half I use, and I highly recommend this:

Earth Balance vegan spread.

You will not taste the difference and it is good for you, too.

There's a new cool site being put together too...google Earth Balance and check it out.

My 2 cents...

:star:

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: Timeline
Well, I grew up using butter, then we switched to margarine when we moved with my stepdad....

So really, I don't mind either. I like both as long as the margarine has that buttery taste. We have both here and use butter for some recipes as well.

The only thing is I don't like cold butter because you can't spread it, but when left out it becomes all liquid, so I use margarine. A non-hygrogenated type with no trans fat and Omega 3 in it, it tastes pretty good.

So any tip for the butter ?

Turn up your AC. :thumbs:

iagree.gif

I heard margerine is just one molecule away from being plastic. And it doesnt decompose on its own. That aint natural. I stick with butter.

Met... May 2004

Married in Brasil... October 4, 2007

Applied for Brasilian Permanent Residency... November 2007

Brasilian Residency recieved... June 2008

Turn up your AC. :thumbs:

Yeah sure I will crank up my electricity bill just for 1/2 lb of butter :lol:

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
we watch I love Lucy sometimes and I swear on one of those little commercials they do they have a cartoon version of Desi and Lucy spreading lard on some bread and eating it :wacko:

icon8.gif OMG, can you imagine? :o

I seem to recall this goo called Chrona or Crona, I think it was rendered animal fat. Just thinking about it makes my arteries slam shut, super EWWWWWWW.icon8.gificon8.gificon8.gif It was being marketing it as an alternative to butter, hard to believe but true; on second thought, Oreos used to have flavoured lard as the stuffing, so maybe it's not that hard to believe. :crying: I have no idea what exactly is margarine, but I'm pretty sure I know who Margerine is. :lol:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

were not really "butter people"...I just use it for baking... never buy margarine...if I do make something like French toast or pancakes, we put peanut butter on them...

the only time I think my husband eats butter is if he makes a tomato bagel sandwhich...

Kimmbo (Las Vegas,NV,USA)

Barry (Brampton,ON,CANADA)

Im an American married to a Canadian, I have no kids, yet Im a grandmother, I can pick things up off the floor with my toes

I-130

----------------

Feb/26/07 Sent I-130 (VSC)($190 US)

March/2/07 Rcv'd at VSC

March/5/07 NOA-1

July/23/07 NOA2(147 days)

I-129F

--------------

March/16/07 Sent I-129F (Chicago) ($170 US)

March/21/07 Received in Chicago

March/22/07 NOA-1

April/10/07 Transferred to VSC

April/23/07 Email from USCIS (case pending at VSC)

July/23/07 NOA2(129 days)

July/28/07 Rcv'd at NVC

July/31/07 NVC sent to Montreal

Aug/3/07 Montreal Rcv'd

Aug/8/07 Packet 3 Received

Aug/10/07 Packet 3 Sent

Aug/13/07 Packet 3 Received in Montreal

Oct/17/07 Medical Scheduled (Dr Seiden)

Jan/25/08 INTERVIEW MONTREAL...APPROVED!

Feb/6/08 Montreal sends Visa, finally!

Feb/8/08 Received Visa (14 days)

April/18/08 Moving Day/POE Sarnia

AOS/EAD

--------------

June/21/08 AOS/EAD package sent ($1010)

June/23/08 Received in Chicago

June/30/08 Check cashed

July/01/08 Received NOA's for I-765 & I-485 (dated June 27th)

July/02/08 Touch

July/07/08 Received Biometrics letter (dated July 1st)

July/18/08 Biometrics appt 8am

Aug/30/08 EAD card received (approval dated Aug 26th)

Sept/04/08 Applied for SSN

Sept/15/08 Social Security card received

Jan/23/09 letter received with interview date

March/10/09 INTERVIEW 9:30am...APPROVED!!

March/19/09 Welcome Letter received

March/23/09 GREENCARD RECEIVED, DONE WITH USCIS UNTIL 2019!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Butter will kill you before margarine will for sure. The fat in butter, natural or not, is actually really bad for your heart.

My Dad nearly died of a heart attack, his arteries were almost completely blocked and this was because of his butter intake. He was a skinny, fit and young guy.

Whoever said butter is made from plastic is wrong. It's made from oils. Different kinds of margarine is way better than others. The cheap margarines made from sunflower oil, soy oil etc. are definitely not good for anything. I mean obviously a tub of margarine for 99 cents can't be good you for you.

But good quality margarine made from vegetable oils is significantly healthier for you than butter in terms of fat content. My father was directed by his Dr. to never touch butter again and is only allowed to eat Becel Light. The nutritional label is much much better than butter.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Butter will kill you before margarine will for sure. The fat in butter, natural or not, is actually really bad for your heart.

My Dad nearly died of a heart attack, his arteries were almost completely blocked and this was because of his butter intake. He was a skinny, fit and young guy.

Whoever said butter is made from plastic is wrong. It's made from oils. Different kinds of margarine is way better than others. The cheap margarines made from sunflower oil, soy oil etc. are definitely not good for anything. I mean obviously a tub of margarine for 99 cents can't be good you for you.

But good quality margarine made from vegetable oils is significantly healthier for you than butter in terms of fat content. My father was directed by his Dr. to never touch butter again and is only allowed to eat Becel Light. The nutritional label is much much better than butter.

:thumbs:

The only margarine I like is canola based marg. Which is more difficult to find in the US so I mostly buy it in Canada. I do use butter more now in the US as it seems cheaper than in Canada. I guess marg was much cheaper than butter in Canada when we were growing up so that's what I'm use to. I believe that marg. is just as natural as butter as it is's made with canola, corn or vegetables.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

:lol: just found this and I thought it was interesting....

in Canada, margarine was banned from 1886 until 1948 though this ban was temporarily lifted from 1917 until 1923 due to dairy shortages. Nevertheless, bootleg margarine was produced in neighboring British colony of Newfoundland from whale, seal and fish oil by the Newfoundland Butter Company (which, in fact, produced only margarine) and was smuggled to Canada where it was widely sold for half the price of butter.

The Supreme Court of Canada lifted the margarine ban in 1948. In 1950, as a result of a court ruling giving provinces the right to regulate the product, rules were implemented in much of Canada regarding margarine's color requiring it to be bright yellow or orange in some provinces or colorless in others. By the 1980s most provinces had lifted the restriction, however, in Ontario it was not legal to sell butter-colored margarine until 1995. As of 2008, Quebec, which requires margarine to be colorless, is the only jurisdiction in North America to regulate the color of margarine. Quebec's margarine law was upheld by the Supreme Court of Canada in 2005.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margarine

:blink: :blink: :lol:

Modern margarine can be made from any of a wide variety of animal or vegetable fats, and is often mixed with skimmed milk, salt, and emulsifiers. Margarine made from vegetable oils is especially important in today's market, as it provides a vegan and pareve substitute for butter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margarine

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.