PeterFB

Sending Money to Vietnam

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I left my ATM card for my parent, it work out great.

I-751 Process

05/01/08 Sent I-751 Package to TSC

05/07/08 Checks Cashed

05/15/08 CRI89 transferred to VSC

05/21/08 NOA Date

05/28/08 Biometrics

12/24/08 The Application transferred to the USCIS Memphis Sub Office

01/22/09 Contact USCIS about the case

04/08/09 Got email about Card Production Ordered

04/11/09 Received Approval Letter by Mail

04/16/09 Received 10 years Green Card

Naturalization

08/10/09 Sent N-400 package

08/13/09 Check cashed

08/17/09 Received NOA

08/29/09 Received Biometric appointment Letter

09/04/09 Biometric

09/21/09 Received Interview Letter

11/06/09 Interview

12/17/09 Oath Ceremony

Passport Processing

03/10/10 Applied US Passport (Normal)

03/25/10 Received US Passport

03/27/10 Received Naturalization Certificate

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Here's the final update on using Wamu for sending wires to Vietnam. There's law that requires all international wires be processed thru a 3rd party bank. If the bank in Vietnam has a special relationship with the 3rd party bank, there may be no fee charged by the 3rd party bank. That fee, if charged, is taken out of the funds being wired. The 3rd party bank could be one of many. Then it's up the local bank to not charge the person recieving the wire a fee. Since we couldn't get a straight answer from the Vietnamese bank about which 3rd party bank to use (we can request Wamu use that 3rd party bank to avoid a fee) and whether they would or would not charge a fee to Thi's family, we decided on a different way.

Anh Minh Money Transfer Inc. charges $2 to send $100 USD to Vietnam and they deliver the cash in USD. Her mother gave the driver who delivered the money a tip of 10,000 VND. You can find some Anh Minh Money Transfer locations (agents) online but mostly they are to be found in local immigrant neighborhoods. In our case there's one at K Video in Reseda, Ca. Their aggreement says it can take up to 10 days to deliver the money but most times it's the next day. The downside is they didn't give her mother a receipt. I don't know if that's because she didn't ask for one or what. We did get one for sending the money. We sent the money on a Saturday and her mother got the money on Sunday (US times). If you use this service before your interview, I would make sure to get receipt of your fiane(e) recieving the money or use a different service.

Hope this helps others needing to send money overseas.

Peter and Thi

I-129F Sent : 2007-05-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-06-11

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-10-26

Touched: 2007-11-02

NVC Recieved: 2007-11-16

Consulate recieved ??????

Packet 3 sent 2007-12-11

Packet 3 received 2007-12-24

Packet 3 returned 2007-12-28

Packet 4 sent 2008-1-14

Email Reply with Interview Date 2008-1-23

Interview Date 2008-2-27

Passed Interview 2008-02-27

Visa Pick Up Date 2008-3-05

Received Visa 2008-2-29 (called to pick up earlier)

POE 2008-3-05 Los Angeles

Wedding 2008-4-26

• 1 month later...
Timeline
This may sound like a stupid question but do you live in Indiana? I would love to meet up with others that are or have gone through this process and I only know of one person.

That was my thought. I was just going to leave an ATM card on an account I have here in my city. When I wanted to send money I would just deposit money into the account and tell them they could withdraw however much it is. There will be an ATM fee and international fee of a total of $3 for the bank I use myself. For now though when I have needed to send Xuan any money we just use Western Union. It gives receipts of who from and who to and it has that information on the web site too. It does cost more but the quick access to money and receipt are worth it to me.

Just a thought

Jack in Whiteland there is are 2 Pilot Travel Centers and in Seymour there is a Travel Center of America. Western Union has a special program called Direct Connect. You call 877.984.0473 and give them the information. They will then give you an 8 (or maybe 10) digit code. You then take the cash (and it must be cash, as stupid as that is these days) to either travel center (to my knowledge only Pilot and T/A participate) and pay them. It is only a $6 fee for up to $300 I think. It is cheaper than the regular Western Union service. If you do it make sure and ask if you can get a gold card. That way you just give them your number every time and they pull up the information.

No, I'm a Trucker in the Entertainment Industry. I'm getting ready to go out with the "Warped Tour". It's a bunch of punk/alternative bands. We will be in Noblesville, IN on July 31st. It's above Indy, so it's a little ways away from you. That's as close as I'll be all summer if they leave me on the tour. Sometimes things change here. It's hard to make plans. If you want to make the drive though I'll gladly meet up. I just met Melrose Plant and his wife Mai at a Flying J truck stop the other night. It was pretty cool.

I have used Xoom twice now and they were very quick both times and soon after I did the debit card the money was sent and a email in reply that the money was ready to be picked up. I sent the info to Fiancee and she went right down and received it with no problem. I did try to use moneygram or western union but the nearest places that she could go to retrieve money was far. She seems to be a bit outside of normal places that have newfangled thingamijigs to do anything.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
I am also a truck driver for almost 10 years and need to use the internet for most things. I am only home 4-5 days a month.

4 or 5 days? Lucky! I knew home time with this company was virtually non existent going in though. Who are you with?

Timeline
I am also a truck driver for almost 10 years and need to use the internet for most things. I am only home 4-5 days a month.

4 or 5 days? Lucky! I knew home time with this company was virtually non existent going in though. Who are you with?

Was with Crete for almost 7 years but had to leave them. Have been with JB Hunt for almost 3 months but they suck so looking at another company right now. I stay out usually until I get road happy and need some hometime and ask to go home for fun.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I have always used International Wires through my bank. They smack me pretty hard, $40, for each time and then the bank in Vietnam takes another chunk. However, it has always been pretty efficient for me and my wife.

western union is only about 12 bucks for sending 2 or 3 hundred

2008-03-03 : I-130 Sent

2008-03-03 : I-130 NOA1

2008-05-08 : Touched

2008-10-16 : Touched

2008-10-20 : Touched and Approved (NOA2)

2008-03-27 : I-129F Sent

2008-03-31 : I-129F NOA1

2008-04-24 : Touched

2008-10-03 : Touched

2008-10-05 : Touched

2008-10-06 : Touched

2008-10-20 : Touched and Approved (NOA2)

2008-10-22 : NVC Receive

2008-10-24 : NVC Left

2008-10-30 : USEM Receive

2008-11-10 : Wife's Medical - PASSED

2008-12-01 : Son's Medical - PASSED

2008-12-19 : USEM Interview - PASSED

2009-01-14 : VISA RECEIVED

2009-01-25 : US Entry (JFK)

Timeline
I have always used International Wires through my bank. They smack me pretty hard, $40, for each time and then the bank in Vietnam takes another chunk. However, it has always been pretty efficient for me and my wife.

western union is only about 12 bucks for sending 2 or 3 hundred

Xoom cost me about half that.

• 2 months later...
Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I send money to my relatives in VN all the time using this Hoa Phat. They charge $1 to $3 per $100. The charge is dependent upon how much I send and the final destination. If I send $200 to my relatives in Saigon, the charge is $2.

Their internet site is semi-functional. The web-based service is not functional. You have to go to one of their stores; click "locations" on their website - www.goitien.com.

My husband and I never experience serious problem with Xoom for over a year now...

They're always reliable. :star:

F2A

Petitioner (My Mom)

Beneficiary (My Sister 18 y.o)

06-07-19- Sent I-130

06-11-19- NOA1

02-19-20- "Initial Review, Transferred to another Visa Center"

03-11-20- APPROVED!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.