w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Rising gas prices threaten to kill the lifestyle of the exurban commuter

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
I never understood why someone would live that far from his/hers work anyway. There are guys where I work that live more than 50 miles away. They have taken an apartment in town and just go home on the weekends. It's insane. I found a very nice neighborhood just 5 miles from work. All the appeal of suburbia and a short drive to work.

Not everyone has that option available.

I guess it's the advantage of choosing the right place to live.

you make it sound all so cut and dry. People have to find jobs wherever they are. The neighborhoods in the surrounding area might not be in someone's price range. And then people may find they have to change a job...changing housing isn't so easy in this housing market. I believe Platy works far from home, but he lives in a home that is paid off (I believe it's a family home...I may be wrong on this). Why should he move if he likes his home, just to live close to a job that may be in an area he doesn't like, is more expensive, isn't as safe, the reasons could go on and on.

As Troll says, it's a choice. I moved 3 years ago for a better job and it was the best thing I ever did. I had to make some sacrifices along the way (living in an apartment for 2 years) but it was worth it.

So you made a sacrifice that someone else might consider insane...live in an apartment, throwing away rent money?? Insane... *shrug* There isn't a one-size-fits-all choice.

Of course not. But it's undeniable that as energy costs increase, the lifestyles of many will have to change. What form that change takes is a choice, but the change itself will be inevitable.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
Of course not. But it's undeniable that as energy costs increase, the lifestyles of many will have to change. What form that change takes is a choice, but the change itself will be inevitable.

who knows? there are all kinds of discretionary spending habits that people can change... they may decide to cut out eating out once a week, for example, instead of cutting fuel.

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

you make it sound all so cut and dry. People have to find jobs wherever they are. The neighborhoods in the surrounding area might not be in someone's price range. And then people may find they have to change a job...changing housing isn't so easy in this housing market. I believe Platy works far from home, but he lives in a home that is paid off (I believe it's a family home...I may be wrong on this). Why should he move if he likes his home, just to live close to a job that may be in an area he doesn't like, is more expensive, isn't as safe, the reasons could go on and on.

People can move if they want to. But like you said, often they don't want to. In which case, they're making a choice, they can't reasonably say they have to.

Everything is choice. You can choose to buy a house just to be close to work and then hate where you live. You shouldn't have to hate where you live just because it's more convenient. You can also choose not to work and sleep on a park bench.

Aye, I inherited my house and I absolutely would not sell it for anything. Sentimental value, family history, etc. I currently pay $0/month for housing. If I were to buy a house (which couldn't possibly happen - horrible credit) I'd have a payment of $500 or so per month. That'll still buy a lot of gas. Meanwhile, my house would sit here unsold since it's 50 miles from Indy, 50 miles from Terre Haute, 50 miles from Lafayette, and 50 miles from Bloomington. ie: the middle of nowhere. How is that in ANY way preferrable to driving 120 miles per day 4 days per week?

Instead, I stay here where the quality of life is good, crime is very low, there's excellent bike riding everywhere, state parks for recreation, right in the middle of the "Big Four" towns. Partly because I have to financially, but also partly because I love it here. Also, I still make more (after paying for gas) than I would working here in town unless I got one of the 5 good jobs in the area. Would I prefer to work close to home? Of course! Can I? Not at the moment, no. The only thing around here are factories, and I DETEST factory work. I'd be making less money too, AND hating my job. I love my current job, and you can't put a price tag on that.

That being said, if gas hits $5.50/gallon, I'll have to rethink my employment situation. That's my breaking point for being ahead of the local payscale.

"You want fries with that?"

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

yeah SoCal is kind of crazy...

we are lucky that we live about 20 minutes or so from hubby's work... but some people have a couple hour commute...

housing seems to be cheaper in the towns surrounding LA ....

Edited by *Marilyn*
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline
I never understood why someone would live that far from his/hers work anyway. There are guys where I work that live more than 50 miles away. They have taken an apartment in town and just go home on the weekends. It's insane. I found a very nice neighborhood just 5 miles from work. All the appeal of suburbia and a short drive to work.

:thumbs:

It's not as easy as some are making it sound.

We live about 44 miles from where Sujeet works. When we decided to stay in the city we are in, the gas was not so pricey and the cost of housing is a lot less here than in Tampa. So we decided to have a more enjoyable living situation in a less crowded and less expensive area. Well now that gas prices are high, we can't easily change things. We bought our house, the market went down, and we have a sinkhole that has to be repaired by the insurance company. I wish things were as easy as some make it sound.

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
The thought of suburban living gives me the hives... :huh:

that's the job of chiggers.

House prices in his rural subdivision beyond the Blue Ridge Mountains in Charles Town, West Virginia, have plunged as commuting expenses have soared. A four-bedroom home down the street from his is listed for $239,000, after selling new for $360,000 five years ago.

i'm shocked! who'd have known they have houses in west virginia selling for 360k! :blink:

runs off before becca sees this. :P

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

People can move if they want to. But like you said, often they don't want to. In which case, they're making a choice, they can't reasonably say they have to.

Everything is choice. You can choose to buy a house just to be close to work and then hate where you live. You shouldn't have to hate where you live just because it's more convenient. You can also choose not to work and sleep on a park bench.

Aye, I inherited my house and I absolutely would not sell it for anything. Sentimental value, family history, etc. I currently pay $0/month for housing. If I were to buy a house (which couldn't possibly happen - horrible credit) I'd have a payment of $500 or so per month. That'll still buy a lot of gas. Meanwhile, my house would sit here unsold since it's 50 miles from Indy, 50 miles from Terre Haute, 50 miles from Lafayette, and 50 miles from Bloomington. ie: the middle of nowhere. How is that in ANY way preferrable to driving 120 miles per day 4 days per week?

Instead, I stay here where the quality of life is good, crime is very low, there's excellent bike riding everywhere, state parks for recreation, right in the middle of the "Big Four" towns. Partly because I have to financially, but also partly because I love it here. Also, I still make more (after paying for gas) than I would working here in town unless I got one of the 5 good jobs in the area. Would I prefer to work close to home? Of course! Can I? Not at the moment, no. The only thing around here are factories, and I DETEST factory work. I'd be making less money too, AND hating my job. I love my current job, and you can't put a price tag on that.

That being said, if gas hits $5.50/gallon, I'll have to rethink my employment situation. That's my breaking point for being ahead of the local payscale.

"You want fries with that?"

start putting those kitties to work! :sleepy:

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

I just crunched the numbers and it turns out that even assuming $5/gallon gas, I don't end up spending more by moving out to the eastern PA exurbs. Why? The difference in property taxes offsets it almost exactly. I would have never thought that to be the case.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Other Timeline

I guess it's the advantage of choosing the right place to live.

As Troll says, it's a choice. I moved 3 years ago for a better job and it was the best thing I ever did. I had to make some sacrifices along the way (living in an apartment for 2 years) but it was worth it.

C'mon Gary, tell the whole story and not just part of it. You were also waiting for Luz to get here before you bought a house. In fact, I'd dare say that's the main reason you were in an apartment and not buying.

Filed: Other Timeline
i'm shocked! who'd have known they have houses in west virginia selling for 360k! :blink:

runs off before becca sees this. :P

:lol:

We have lots of 'em.

The thought of suburban living gives me the hives... :huh:

Me too. Been there done that wouldn't do it again no matter what - yuck.