Scott & Lai

Where do you live?

Type of dwelling, density of area  

79 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of dwelling do you live in, in what type of area?

• Single Family House
    • Mobile Home
    • Apartment
    • Condo
    • Townhome
    • Inner City
    • Urban
    • Suburbs
    • Exurbs
    • Small Town
    • Rural
    • other (please specify)
  2. 2. Where would you prefer to live and why?

• Single Family House
    • Mobile Home
    • Apartment
    • Condo
    • Townhome
    • Inner City
    • Urban
    • Suburbs
    • Exurbs
    • Small Town
    • Rural
    • other (please specify)
  3. 3. What living situation would you willingly change to and why?

• Now living in single family dwelling, would move to multi-family dwelling
    • Now living in multi-family dwelling, would move to single family dwelling
    • Now living in low density area, would move to high density area
    • Now living in high density area, would move to low density area
    • other (please specify)

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Currently live in a SFH in an urban area. Would love to live in either a SFH in the country but not to far from a small town, or in a small town and for sure stay close to the water.

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently in a duplex in the heart of a large city (which is quite residential and green with much less traffic than the suburbs). Would be willing to move east to a smaller town, but with conditions.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

We live in an eight unit apartment building in the suburbs, density just under 5,000/sq mile. We love the area, but want a SFH. I was raised in SFHs in suburban areas; Lai was raised in tiny apartments in Hong Kong, definitely high density. I don't mind visiting urban areas like that, but couldn't handle living there for long; too stressful for my tastes. I need an area with miniscule crime, no grafitti, not the concrete jungle, peaceful, neighbors kept at a respectable distance (I need more than a wall separating them from me, and nature. Other than being in an apartment, that pretty much describes what we have now.

We were living in a denser suburb before, off a major road. There was a strip mall next to our complex, with a bar right across from our bedroom window and lots of seedy characters about. I had to call the police several times with noise complaints late at night. When our contract was up, we decided to look elsewhere. Now the nearest major road is about a mile away, and we have woods with a stream outside our bedroom window :) We see lots of rabbits, ducks, hummingbirds, egrets, frogs and other critters, and the whole area is much quieter. Our apartment is accessed by a stair that goes to our door and only one of our neighbors...before, there was a walkway that went around our building, so people were always stomping past our windows; not very private or quiet at all. Now it is so much more peaceful; it is a balm to the soul. Plus, we have most anything we could want as far as shopping areas and restaurants very nearby; pick an ethnic cuisine, we've got one or more representatives within a few minutes from us.

As for where I'd move, I could see going to a small town, close enough to a larger area for shopping/entertainment purposes, but far enough out to avoid the negatives of urban areas. Ideally, that would be when we retire (if we are ever actually able to), so that we wouldn't have to worry about commuting to work. Someplace within an hour or so of our church would be best. And I really want to be in a SFH. I want the privacy that comes with that, plus I worry about things like fire. In a SFH, you have far more control over that, if you do something stupid, you're the only one to blame, and generally your neighbors' homes aren't threatened, depending of course on how close other homes are to you and if you have lots of brush/trees close by. In an apartment or townhome, you can be very responsible, but if your neighbor isn't and starts a fire, you both are screwed.

No way in he!! would I move to an urban area.

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Other Timeline

We live in a 2 bedroom family/graduate apartment associated with the university that Vipul is going to. It's just the 2 of us right now.

November 18, 2005 - Visa in hand! (Day 184)

December 19th - Vipul arrives in US

March 22, 2006 - Applied for AOS, EAD, and AP

June 6, 2006 - AP approved

June 9, 2006 - EAD approved

Feb. 5, 2007 - Becomes permanent resident

Dec. 9, 2008 - Filed I-751 to remove conditions

February 2009 - Conditions Removed - Next step Naturalization

November 19, 2009 - Filed for Naturalization!

dsc01090fw8.th.jpg

B2zLm5.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We live in a single family home in a small town outside of Seattle, WA. We have a very large corner lot and for now, the yard work is managable, but when we retire (in about 9 years), I'd like to move to either a townhouse or condo.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Whilst I am away from John I live in a share apartment with two others. High density and urban.

When I go back to John it will be SFH in a rural setting. Outside a small city.

We live in an in-law apartment in the suburbs to which I am really appreciative about. Lake Chabot is just a 5-minute walk from the house itself. I need to commune with nature. :P I hated the city life although I appreciate the vibrant areas of San Francisco. We are looking at several SFH's right now but we're inclined to buy a ranch house in the bay area (we want ample space if our finances would allow it). It would be difficult for me to live in a multi-level apartment/condo though I had lived in several apartments and condos back in my country, when I was in college and while working in the city. I would love us some peace and quiet, and our privacy.

Edited by krakatoa