MDDM

where to send I-134: USCIS and Embassy?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before (quite sure it has!), but I'm trying to figure out what should be a simple thing and have received conflicting advice.

My fiance, in UK, has gone for a medical and has assembled all his documents with the exception of affidavit of support. I have filled out form I-134 and have supporting documentation and just need to get it notarized. At the bottom of the form, it says send this to USCIS. Should I also send a copy to my fiance so he can bring to his interview? Does he need original?

His information packet just says sponsors should use Form I-134 or provide affidavit of support. I don't know which one is better to submit and can't find any indication that if I send the I-134 to USCIS that they notify the embassy.

When I called USCIS to get more information, they said unless they requested it (of me), then my dealings are solely with National Visa Processing Center and US Embassy in London and they told me not to send them the form. I have not received anything from USCIS since receiving petition approval notice. I cannot get through to the NVC on their helpline and the USCIS website and Embassy sites are not clear.

Like everyone else here, I just want to do the right thing.

Any help/advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

a thousand times so you are not alone.

USCIS could care less about the I-134... it goes with the applicant to the consulate interview

YMMV

Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before (quite sure it has!), but I'm trying to figure out what should be a simple thing and have received conflicting advice.

My fiance, in UK, has gone for a medical and has assembled all his documents with the exception of affidavit of support. I have filled out form I-134 and have supporting documentation and just need to get it notarized. At the bottom of the form, it says send this to USCIS. Should I also send a copy to my fiance so he can bring to his interview? Does he need original?

His information packet just says sponsors should use Form I-134 or provide affidavit of support. I don't know which one is better to submit and can't find any indication that if I send the I-134 to USCIS that they notify the embassy.

When I called USCIS to get more information, they said unless they requested it (of me), then my dealings are solely with National Visa Processing Center and US Embassy in London and they told me not to send them the form. I have not received anything from USCIS since receiving petition approval notice. I cannot get through to the NVC on their helpline and the USCIS website and Embassy sites are not clear.

Thanks,

No, USCIS has absolutely NOTHING to do with your case anymore right now. So no, you don't send ANYTHING to USCIS. You give the original I-134 to your fiance and they bring it to the embassy for the interview, among other things.

The I-134 is the affidavit your fiance brings to the interview.

You don't need to call NVC, you don't need to call USCIS, you don't deal with ANYONE but the embassy.

I recommend reading the guides so you have a better understanding of the process.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi,

Thanks,

No, USCIS has absolutely NOTHING to do with your case anymore right now. So no, you don't send ANYTHING to USCIS. You give the original I-134 to your fiance and they bring it to the embassy for the interview, among other things.

You don't need to call NVC, you don't need to call USCIS, you don't deal with ANYONE but the embassy.

I recommend reading the guides so you have a better understanding of the process.

Further, there is absolutely nothing on the I-134 telling you to send it anywhere, much less to USCIS. Where did you get that wild idea?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline

Best advise is to follow the guides here on Visa Journey.

Our Relationship

(09-27-06)Met in Hungary

(11-25-06)Fell in Love

(11-24-07)Met again in Hungary

(02-19-08)Met again in Hungary

K1 Visa Petition

(09-27-07)Preparing to send K1 Petition

(12-03-07)K1 Petition Sent US Postal Service

(12-11-07)Received NOA 1

(12-28-07)Touched

(03-11-08)Recieved NOA 2

(03-21-08)Recieved at NVC

(03-27-08)Sent from NVC

(04-02-08)Received Packet 3

(04-27-08)Medical Completed

(05-15-08)Received Packet 4

(05-29-08)Interview Date

(05-29-08)Visa given 40 mins after approval

(06-02-08)Arrival at the JFK and EAD given

Hi,

Thanks,

Hi,

Thanks,

Thanks to everyone who replied. I did read the guides (and they are very useful) but didn't find any thing specific on this front. In any event I really wanted to see what others had to say as the instructions on USCIS website says send it to us.

Thanks very much

Hi,

Thanks,

Further, there is absolutely nothing on the I-134 telling you to send it anywhere, much less to USCIS. Where did you get that wild idea?

Here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi,

Thanks,

I see. Those instructions would only apply if USCIS is requesting the form, which is rare but you said this was on the bottom of the form. It is not.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Hi,

Thanks,

I see. Those instructions would only apply if USCIS is requesting the form, which is rare but you said this was on the bottom of the form. It is not.

Hi,

You are correct; it is not on the form, but the instructions on web that accompany the form. I used the wrong noun when posting. Throughout the process I've tried to double check everything before I mail it off as things (at least in my experience) don't match up all the time and who wants to risk adding undefined time to the process.

Since the embassy referred to it in their communication to my fiancé, I went to USCIS site to download the form. Hence my confusion about where I needed to send it or if I needed to send it (i.e., does the embassy prefer the official form or something original?).

It could make a sentence or two in a guide here, but perhaps I over thought it and it is of limited interest or I just haven't looked hard enough to find the reference!

Your precision much appreciated, your help even more.

I hope to notarize the form tomorrow.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi,

You are correct; it is not on the form, but the instructions on web that accompany the form. I used the wrong noun when posting. Throughout the process I've tried to double check everything before I mail it off as things (at least in my experience) don't match up all the time and who wants to risk adding undefined time to the process.

Since the embassy referred to it in their communication to my fiancé, I went to USCIS site to download the form. Hence my confusion about where I needed to send it or if I needed to send it (i.e., does the embassy prefer the official form or something original?).

It could make a sentence or two in a guide here, but perhaps I over thought it and it is of limited interest or I just haven't looked hard enough to find the reference!

Your precision much appreciated, your help even more.

I hope to notarize the form tomorrow.

The confusion is that the Consulate (a component of the Department of State) requested the information, and you went to the USCIS website (a component of the Department of Homeland Security). Important distinction is to always know who you are dealing with and do not comingle information retrieved from the website of one department and assume it is the proper instructions for your request. The two are not the same.

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.