l.j./1999

Biometrics experience/ concern

5 posts in this topic

My husband had his biometrics yesterday, and he said that the technician was not able to successfully scan about 4 of his fingers. The machine would stop at each problem finger and give some kind of score in the corner, indicating that print was not of good quality. He redid it 3 times with no improvement and then the woman just told him he was done.

He remembers that at his last biometrics appointment two years ago, the technician spent a long time redoing his finger prints until all of the rejected prints were accepted by the system. This time the woman was much less persistent.

Anyone else have an experience like this where not all fingers were successfully scanned? Does it mean the prints are not usable and husband will probably need to redo them? So far there's no touch on our case online, but I don't know if that means anything or not.

JOURNEY HIGHLIGHTS

04/23/05: Sent fiance petition (I-129F) to VSC

10/26/05: K-1 visa in hand

02/17/06: Flight to U.S. - POE Anchorage

03/01/06: We got married!!

03/04/06: Applied for Adjustment of Status

07/31/06: Received 2-Year Green Card in the mail

04/08/08: Sent application for Removal of Conditions to VSC

03/20/09: Received 10-year Green Card in the mail

04/11/09: Mailed N-400 application to Lewisville, TX Lockbox

08/18/09: Citizenship interview in Garden City, NY

08/27/09: Sworn in as a U.S. Citizen in Brooklyn Court House

08/29/09: Applied for U.S. Passport (routine service)

09/25/09: Received U.S. Passport in the mail

* Our Journey is Complete ! *

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I have read many instances when thy had to go back to redo the biometrics. Curious - does he do extreme hard work with his hands or is it genetic or skin condition? Maybe he can wear gloves for a week or so before the next exam and keep his skin 'healed'. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Timeline
I have read many instances when thy had to go back to redo the biometrics. Curious - does he do extreme hard work with his hands or is it genetic or skin condition? Maybe he can wear gloves for a week or so before the next exam and keep his skin 'healed'. Good Luck

My wife is a waitress and her hands are rough and calloused, and we suspected that she would have difficulties with her biometrics. Her first set of biometrics was illegible and she was given a second biometrics appointment. Again, her second set was illegible. She got an RFE requesting clearances from local police departments from all locales that she lived in the U.S. in the past five years. She only lived in one town and she provided a police clearance report stating that she had no history of arrests. She sent that in and she has since been approved and she is awaiting her permanent green card. Had we to do it all over again, we would have obtained police clearances as part of the original evidence submitted --- even before the first biometrics appointment. It might have shortened the process a bit.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I know that some of my prints were not great - he had to do them several times and never got a different score - he let them go through and said I was done. I asked about the re-doing and the scores and he said that the machine would not have let him 'finish' if it wasn't able to use the fingerprints so they should be fine. I have not heard anything different so I am assuming that they are.

If the fingerprints are not good enough, they will send another biometrics appointment. If that set isn't good enough, they generally require you to obtain independent police records of where you have lived so one way or another, you should be fine.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Thanks for all replies! We can't think of any reason my husband's prints would be hard to capture - he has no relevant medical conditions that we're aware of, and he works in an office with no particular strain on his fingers aside from typing and the occasional papercut (which he didn't have this week).

I guess we'll just wait and see if they send a new appointment, and if that happens hopefully they'll be more diligent about scanning the fingers.

JOURNEY HIGHLIGHTS

04/23/05: Sent fiance petition (I-129F) to VSC

10/26/05: K-1 visa in hand

02/17/06: Flight to U.S. - POE Anchorage

03/01/06: We got married!!

03/04/06: Applied for Adjustment of Status

07/31/06: Received 2-Year Green Card in the mail

04/08/08: Sent application for Removal of Conditions to VSC

03/20/09: Received 10-year Green Card in the mail

04/11/09: Mailed N-400 application to Lewisville, TX Lockbox

08/18/09: Citizenship interview in Garden City, NY

08/27/09: Sworn in as a U.S. Citizen in Brooklyn Court House

08/29/09: Applied for U.S. Passport (routine service)

09/25/09: Received U.S. Passport in the mail

* Our Journey is Complete ! *

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.