yodaid764

Challenging situation-Filing while deployed to Iraq

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello all,

I am in a difficult situation and could use some advice.

I am currently deployed to Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. This means it is never easy to get access to phones or the internet to call an embassy or consulate (or whatever organization I need to contact) to get information. My fiance is in the Philippines, Cagayan de Oro City, which is a ways away from the Manila Embassy. I just finished my mid tour leave visiting her and we tried to finalize the paper work as much as possible for the K-1 visa to get the process going. THere are a few set backs however.

My plan was this: Deploy to Iraq and begin to get some of the paperwork done prior to my mid tour leave. Go on leave to be with her, finish the paperwork together and mail off the I-129F packet to get the ball rolling. Continue to get the paper work done in order and in a timely fashion so that she has the K-1 prior to me returing to the States. Redeploy to Fort Hood, Texas around Feb 2009. Somewhere between Feb-Apr 2009, when we have our 30 days post deployment leave, return to the Philippines to have a ceremony and reception so her friends can see her get married (not a legal wedding as I am told it would violate the K-1 process), then bring her to the states to have an official wedding in my home of Omaha, Nebraska. Last, begin our lives together.

Potential Problems with this concept:

1) I dont have a home back in the states currently. I am using my dad's address as my home of record. So, for any forms where I am supposed to put an address in the states, I have used his address. Is this wrong? If so, what should I put. I closed out my appartment when I deployed.

2) The engagement ring is still on order, but will the sales reciept be sufficient for proof of engagement?

3) On form I-134, it is supposed to be sworn before some official of the embassy or consulate. But I am nowhere near any such thing. How can I get that signature? Secondly, WHEN do I file the I-134???? I have looked over the K-1 process and dont recall when this fits in (admittedly, there is alot of overwhelming information to take in so far, and I might have missed it.)

4) While visiting her this past month we tried to call the Philippines embassy and the Visa Call Center to get some answers but had no luck! The Embassy number just had a voice recording telling us to call the VCC. When we tried to call the VCC (1-909-101-7878) her cell phone would not allow the call. Nor would a pay phone. Very frustrating.

I THINK we have everything else in order, but since the I-129F is the first step in the process it is very frustrating and painful. Even more so without some local agency either in Cagayan de Oro or in Iraq to get some help from a live person. I have a friend who married a wonderful woman from Brazil and he says it is very frustrating at first, but after a certain point it is much easier.

Can anyone offer any advice?

I really do appreciate any help on this matter.

1LT Thomas J. Piernicky

Fox Troop, 2/3 ACR

FOB Caldwell, Iraq

yodaid764@yahoo.com

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

1.) your dad's address if fine

2.) they dont care about rings. ;)

3.) the affidavit of support is required for the embassy stage of the process. There has to be notary public somewhere on base or nearby, no? Maybe one of your commanders? An Embassy, A bank??

As a side note... Thank you for serving our country. :thumbs:

I'm not sure if the military expedite works for those already deployed but it's probably worth a shot if you're wishing to speed things along.

Expedite Criteria and phone # for service center...

The guides are here to make it easier for you. Everything about the process is explained... you will find example forms... etc.

timeline.jpg

Timeline

Hello my friend,

I am from cebu Philippines and have my K1/2 because i have a kid i am just come here in US last April 18,2008.In your situation don't be confuse about the address of yours. Just use the address of your father and that is permanently your address while processing your papers..well its up to you if you file K3 but to have that visa it will takes 1year more to approve that..If you file a K1 for her it will takes 6months to bring your Filipina here.you can log on to www.manilausembassy.gov/wwh3234.html to see everything and all information what you want to know....

thanks,

best regard liza

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
1.) your dad's address if fine

2.) they dont care about rings. ;)

3.) the affidavit of support is required for the embassy stage of the process. There has to be notary public somewhere on base or nearby, no? Maybe one of your commanders? An Embassy, A bank??

As a side note... Thank you for serving our country. :thumbs:

I'm not sure if the military expedite works for those already deployed but it's probably worth a shot if you're wishing to speed things along.

Expedite Criteria and phone # for service center...

The guides are here to make it easier for you. Everything about the process is explained... you will find example forms... etc.

jag offices have notary publics.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

Well, I had an 8 hour layover in Manila on my way back to Iraq and stopped by the US Embassy to get some help in this situation. Wow....the employee was next to worthless and only added to my frustation.

He is now telling me I DO need the I-134 to be filed with the I-129, but that I DONT need it sworn :unsure:

He handed me a FAQ sheet that was SUPPOSED to help. I noticed one major issue within minutes. Originally, I was intending to send my application to the California office based off of information i got from the USCIS website prior to my deployment. But page one of the doc he gave me says I need to file it in Nebraska (my home state), yet page 3 says I need to file it to the California address. I asked the guy which is right....he didnt know!!!

To make matters worse, my fiance forgot to sign the G-325a forms, and the passport photos we just had taken have the wrong color back ground (blue when I guess it should be white).

And now this guy tells me I also need to have a G-325a.

(I thought I read on this site you dont need the G-325a for a K-1, only the beneficiary needs it.)

Also, Nikka and I forgot to print and fill out a couple of documents (our goof up trying to sort this all out). Am I supposed to also include the 82063 and App for Alien Registraition with the I-129F packet?? I didnt see it listed on the example I-129F cover sheet of what to include, so we didnt.

All of this puts me back at least another month for filing. I am getting more frustrated and confused by the hour. I wont give up on being with her, but I hate seeing delays like this so early. :help:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Don't get frustrated, it is not that difficult.

Take a deep breath.

Read the guides in this forum.

Get the paperwork together that is mentioned in the guides! (No I-134! your fiancee needs that at the interview (a while to go!))

You do need the G-325A for you and your fiancee and signed on all 4 pages!

Look at the USCIS website to where to file your I-129F. There are only two service centers processing them (California and Vermont!).

Take another deep breath. Read the guides again. Get the rest of your paperwork together (proof of having met at least once! in the past 2 years, letter of intent to marry, maybe some pictures showing the two of you together, my lawyer made me write a statement of how we met and what went on until filing (about 2 pages), so USCIS could not question a lot) ...). All explained in the guides!

Take another deep breath. Look over your paperwork again.

Start your cover letter for the documents to be sent. List everything! Check the guides! Compare your list with the guides.

Take another deep breath. Send of your application.

Your dad's address is fine. As soon as the check is cashed and you have your file number, sign up for online access and email notification, it might get you information quicker.

Sending you strength and patience.

Sib

Perhaps others with fiancees in the Phillipines could recommend someone to help you with the paperwork. You don't need anymore stress. Is there a chance your Dad, another friend or relative could help you? My son filed a G 28 so I could legally represent them, as with his remote work and travel it would have been very difficult otherwise. It's allowed me to act on their behalf - calling the USCIS, the NVC, emailing the embassy and preparing paperwork. If he can't attend the interview (he expects to be in OCS), I might end up going. It would need to be someone who can attend to detail, really cares about your case, has the time and will take advantage of the VJ, USCIS and DOS websites to educate themselves regarding the process. I think my son's wife is the best thing that ever happened to him and I really, really like her; otherwise, I would be doing other things with my time.

JAG is supposed to help you. Your home of record address is your address, even if you aren't physically present.

Thanks for serving! Be safe! Best wishes on your journey.

P.S. The USCIS also has a dedicated military helpline. 1-877-CIS-4MIL (247-4645). There are probably varying opinions on their helpfulness. Since you are deployed, an expedite might be possible for you so you can meet your time frame. Email would certainly be easier for deployed military, but the USCIS hasn't figured that out yet. Fortunately the NVC and most embassies have.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/Mi...pLine081307.pdf

Timeline

Take a deep breath.

Get the paperwork together that is mentioned in the guides! (No I-134! your fiancee needs that at the interview (a while to go!))

Look at the USCIS website to where to file your I-129F. There are only two service centers processing them (California and Vermont!).

Take another deep breath. Read the guides again. Get the rest of your paperwork together (proof of having met at least once! in the past 2 years, letter of intent to marry, maybe some pictures showing the two of you together, my lawyer made me write a statement of how we met and what went on until filing (about 2 pages), so USCIS could not question a lot) ...). All explained in the guides!

Start your cover letter for the documents to be sent. List everything! Check the guides! Compare your list with the guides.

Your dad's address is fine. As soon as the check is cashed and you have your file number, sign up for online access and email notification, it might get you information quicker.

Sib

That is a lot of deep breaths....I think I might hyperventahilate! Just kidding.

Thanks for the tips. I am meeting with a JAG tomorrow since Im stuck at Balad as there are no new flights to my FOB for a few days. Looks like fate is throwing me a bone.

TOm

Timeline

Take a deep breath.

Sib

That is a lot of deep breaths....I think I might hyperventahilate! Just kidding.

Thanks for the tips. I am meeting with a JAG tomorrow since Im stuck at Balad as there are no new flights to my FOB for a few days. Looks like fate is throwing me a bone.

TOm

Another question:

I have reviewed the guides again. As far as making 2 complete copies of the packet, I only have 1 extra passport photo (provided I can find it!). Will they accept a photocopy of the first page of my pass port instead?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

The second copy is for you just in case something happens to the first and/or to send to your fiance for reference before the interview.

Sorry you got such poor advice at the embassy. Follow the guides here and the uscis instructions. It seems the more you ask the people who are supposed to know...the more you find they are wrong. :(

timeline.jpg

I am meeting with a JAG tomorrow since Im stuck at Balad as there are no new flights to my FOB for a few days. Looks like fate is throwing me a bone.

TOm

I hope your 'local' JAG office knows about this pro bono program. It is fairly new, so they may be unaware of it. Your case sounds straight-forward, but those with complex cases might benefit if JAG can consult with an immigration attorney.

http://www.aila.org/content/default.aspx?docid=24296

Hope the bones keep coming for you.

• 5 months later...

Hi, my Fiance is also a US military, we're together last September,, our application was already sent to USCIS,,we're still waiting for our case number,,

I am sad because he will be deployed in Iraq next year,,

I hope that our application can be expedited because he will be deployed..

by the way, hows your proccess going?? :innocent:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.