zyggy

FAQ to Wiki style...

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Just thinking out loud...

Wouldn't it be easier for all of us if we took the FAQ and made it Wiki style. In this way everyine could update it if there were something new, with someone more experiences to look over things...

Just an idea...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

• 10 months later...
Filed: Timeline

zyggy,

Given the amount of confusion and misunderstanding exhibited by so many VJers, I think this would be very dangerous. In fairness to most people, putting their own personal 1 or 2 experiences into an overall context that they are unfamiliar with can be extremely difficult - the world does look flat, and the sun does appear to revolve around the earth when you first look at it.

Whoever gets the task of looking things over will have to be very vigilant. There are some very informed VJers, but even they tend to be most informed in somewhat limited areas and not so well informed in others. I think it would take an experienced immigration attorney to watch over a Wiki-FAQ to keep it free of garbage.

Yodrak

Just thinking out loud...

Wouldn't it be easier for all of us if we took the FAQ and made it Wiki style. In this way everyine could update it if there were something new, with someone more experiences to look over things...

Just an idea...

Reynaldo,

You mean like the sticky posts at the top of each forum? (Which so many VJers seem to ignore....)

Yodrak

I think this is a good idea.

The faq sections could continue to exist, but we could also have a wiki where people could collaborate with information

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Reynaldo,

You mean like the sticky posts at the top of each forum? (Which so many VJers seem to ignore....)

Yodrak

The faq sections could continue to exist, but we could also have a wiki where people could collaborate with information

If you don't know what to look for, it is not easy to find anything here...

Reynaldo,

Yodrak

If you don't know what to look for, it is not easy to find anything here...

That's being discussed/worked on in this thread Capt.Ewok started...

Guides/FAQs

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

My opinion would be no. While it's a good thought in *theory* I think we would get WAYYYY too many member who *think* they know the correct answer posting....or even "correcting" a possibly ALREADY correct answer. Could be pretty dicey to do something like that...I wouldn't mess with FAQ/Guides in that way...JMO. M.

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
My opinion would be no. While it's a good thought in *theory* I think we would get WAYYYY too many member who *think* they know the correct answer posting....or even "correcting" a possibly ALREADY correct answer. Could be pretty dicey to do something like that...I wouldn't mess with FAQ/Guides in that way...JMO. M.

Exactly - that can't be stressed enough!!

If we are going to post any generally available information that readers can access, it has to be as accurate and complete as possible, and opening it up in this way is a dire notion unless there is someone constantly moderating it who knows the right answers. Since none of us really do, we cannot afford to have anyone who just THINKS they know the the right details be in a position to update the FAQ or guides with potentially disastrous material.

Exactly - that can't be stressed enough!!

If we are going to post any generally available information that readers can access, it has to be as accurate and complete as possible, and opening it up in this way is a dire notion unless there is someone constantly moderating it who knows the right answers. Since none of us really do, we cannot afford to have anyone who just THINKS they know the the right details be in a position to update the FAQ or guides with potentially disastrous material.

Suggestion: (and not entirely related to the Wiki-style FAQ suggestion - I can see that not being exactly workable.)

There is a wealth if information on VJ, both in a documented fashion and in the living-breathing members.

Why don't some of the more knowledgeable members (working with Ewok) - go through the current FAQs (or come up with new ones) and determine if they are adequate (at least at some of the more basic/common-level) and get them implemented? Is there some underlying reason why this approach is undesirable?

(I know some already do this - but in an easy-to-understand format that is dynamic in that they get updated as the community/needs change.)