Captain Ewok

Guides and FAQ cleanup

53 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Hey everyone-

After some recent conversations with other members we decided that a nice clean sweep of the Guides and FAQ's were needed. If you have some spare time and know a thing or two from experience take a look at some of the sections and if you find anything that is not clear, out of date, etc please post it here and your suggestion on how to make it better. As a team I am betting we can get through most of the stuff pretty quick and make many improvements while we are at it!

Once this is complete I am planning to "refresh" the FAQ's and to a degree the Guides to make them more readable, clearer and easier to find things in. Your feedback is welcome and please feel free to use this thread to list things you have found changes are need for :).

Please try and use a format similar to this:

URL (http://www.visajourney.com/guide-name)

Original text as it is written now

Your proposed changes if you know them

I promise to help in any way that I can to get these implemented and spruced up for everyone!

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

It would be clearer to have a flow chart for each VISA process. If they member is curious as to what VISA to persue, they would click on the link for that VISA to find out what that VISA is for. Flow charts are clearer, and simple to follow.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Filed: Timeline
It would be clearer to have a flow chart for each VISA process. If they member is curious as to what VISA to persue, they would click on the link for that VISA to find out what that VISA is for. Flow charts are clearer, and simple to follow.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k3flow

Edited by devilette

Timeline

We only have flowcharts for the K1 and K3 process. Adding more is an excellent idea :).

K1 Flowchart:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k1flow

K3 Flowchart:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;page=k3flow

Oh and the NVC process as well for IR1/CR1 applicants:

http://www.visajourney.com/examples/NVC_Pr...wchart_v1-2.pdf

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

In the K3 guide, there are instructions for putting together the I-130:

Assembling the I-130 Package: Checklist

Forms and Documents (follow these assembly instructions. All supporting documents must be in English or be translated as noted here.):

1. Payment as required by USCIS. Use a check so you can track the payment.

2. Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative (see example form)

3. Copy of the Birth certificate for the US Citizen (front and back) or a copy of ALL pages of the US Citizen's passport. This is used to establish citizenship. You may use a copy of your naturalization certificate or certificate of citizenship issued by USCIS.

4. A copy of your marriage certificate (If not in English then again get a translation)

5. If either you or your spouse were previously married, submit copies of documents showing that all prior marriages were legally terminated.

6. A copy of a prior spouse's death certificate. (If one or both were married before, and the prior spouse died)

7. G-325A (all four pages) filled out by the US Citizen signed and dated

8. One passport-type photo (see specification) of the US Citizen. Write the full name of the US citizen on the back. Place in a plastic bag and label the bag "Photo of ". Attach the bag to a sheet of paper and place behind the corresponding G-325A.

9. G-325A (all four pages) filled out by the foreign spouse signed and dated

10. One passport-type photo (see specification) of the foreign spouse. Write the full name of the foreign Spouse on the back. Place in a plastic bag and label the bag "Photo of ". Attach the bag to a sheet of paper and place behind the corresponding G-325A.

BUT -- the current I-130 also directs petitioners to include evidence that will be used at the time of AOS to show bona-fides of the relationship, such as -- joint lease, joint bank accounts, etc.

This aspect of the guide should be updated. But what range of evidence will be sufficient for newlyweds who have never lived together is something we don't know about yet ... so just how to update it is not so clear!

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Here are the new poverty guidelines for the mainland for 2007. I haven't seen them posted in the guides here yet. They went into effect March 1, 2007.

2007 Poverty Guidelines for the 48 Contiguous States and the District of Columbia

Size of family unit Poverty guideline 125%

2 13,690 17,120

3 17,170 21,470

4 20,650 25,820

5 24,130 30,170

6 27,610 34,520

7 31,090 38,870

8 34,570 43,220

For family units with more than 8 members, add $4,350 for each additional member.

I can't clean up the format.

Edited by Green-eyed girl

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

The guides recommend making two copies of everything -- and it is a very good idea. (I made three.) But the K3 flow chart recommends making just one copy. It would be good to commonize the flow chart recommendations with the guides.

I think both should recommend making two perfect copies of everything in the packet.

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Not that kind of flowchart. The ones we used in business projects.

The flowchart that is in the Guide is not very functional. For me, it doesn't really matter, but for new people they maybe a little annoyed at looking at this particular layout.

Business presentations always needs to be easy, and simple to follow. I'd suggest to try to be as redundant as possible with flowcharts. You have numbers there to show the sequence. Include arrows as well too pointing to the next stage.

Edited by consolemaster

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Suggest that people who want to work on them 'claim' their document so people aren't working on the same ones... then they can be submitted for feedback. Capt, can you list all of the docs that reside out there and post the revised list with name assignments as people come forward??

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Here are the new poverty guidelines for the mainland for 2007. I haven't seen them posted in the guides here yet. They went into effect March 1, 2007.

2007 Poverty Guidelines for the 48 Contiguous States and the District of Columbia

2 13,690 17,120

3 17,170 21,470

4 20,650 25,820

5 24,130 30,170

6 27,610 34,520

7 31,090 38,870

8 34,570 43,220

For family units with more than 8 members, add $4,350 for each additional member.

Complete 2007 Poverty Guidelines (100%) If this helps..

Poverty-1.jpg

Edited by Karin und Otto

Guides Main Page

TOC (Table of Contents)

Add

1) Would it be helpful to have FAQs (Link) listed?

2) "Begin Here" (I know it has a big arrow and is in red, but) - it goes to a pretty neat page and could definitely use some emphasis..title change to "Which Visa is for Me/You?" or something...

3) Is it possible to move the Ads? or insert a border/shading as a separation? (anyone have ideas/thoughts?) It doesn't bother me now, but I remember them when I first came and at first they seemed like part of the guide/page..if that makes sense..

Change/Update

1) Headings in TOC don't exactly match Headings for its section (i.e., "Spouse or Fiancé Immigration" - matches to - "Immigration Guides for a Spouse or Fiancé." I know it's a simple thing, but easy to change and might help.

2) The "Other Important Things" (Link) is Huge..could those links be added (for example) to "If You're Engaged"..which currently has "Getting a K1 Visa" "K1 Flowchart" and "K1 Visa Tips" but if it also had "General Assembly Instructions" "Affidavit of Support Tips" "Example Forms" and maybe some others (there are more down there) but perhaps Embassy Information (titles certainly can be changed to whatever anyone thinks is best).. But continue on down for "If You're Married".."Family Immigration" etc..even if the links themselves go to the same place..

Kind of a One Stop Shop kind of thing..if that makes sense..

Those are my immediate thoughts... thought I'd throw that out there..To me, the guides have so much value...

Edited by Karin und Otto

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I think there needs to be a section in the guides explaining the implications involved when an I130 is retained......for people who file the I130 & I129 and get surprised and/or confused that their I130 was retained. Perhaps this could also be a FAQ.....What should I do if my I130 is retained and I want to apply for a CR1/IR1 visa?

I-130

8/07/06 mailed I-130 to VSC

8/17/06 NOA1

12/14/06 NOA2

1/24/07 sent I-824 to have I-130 forwarded to NVC

6/15/07 NVC case # assigned.............It's about time!!

9/16/07 case complete after 2 RFE's for DS230

10/9/07 Interview

10/16/07 VISA!!

I-129F

9/10/06 mailed I-129F

9/19/06 NOA1

12/15/06 NOA2

1/09/07 Packet 3 received from Cairo Embassy

2/12/07 Packet 3 returned to Cairo Embassy

5/6/07 Interview..........It's about time!!

ضَاقتْ فلّما استَحْكمَتْ حَلقا تها فُرِجَتْ..................وَ كِدْتُ أظنها لا تفرجُ

Timeline

Do you know the answer to that? I will add it to the FAQ right now if so. :)

I updated the Guides Main page based on some comments. I will make more of the recommended changes later as I have more time :).

Timeline

2 13,690 17,120

3 17,170 21,470

4 20,650 25,820

5 24,130 30,170

6 27,610 34,520

7 31,090 38,870

8 34,570 43,220

To keep broken links down everytime on the site we reference that we point to this download page:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...;page=immiforms

The above page links to:

I-864P, Poverty Guidelines: This form is used to determine the minimum income requirement needed to complete Form I-864, Affidavit of Support under Section 213A of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Although I think the guides and FAQS are great, people are usually too lazy to read them and end up just asking in the forums. If there was any way to make new members read the guides and faqs before they were allowed to post, I think it would of help.

You know, like those customer service pages, where you want to ask a question and it shows like a pop up menu "what is question related to?" "AOS, K1, K3, etc", then depending on the choice of answer they could be lead straight to the correct guide, and at the bottom of the guide could be the famous "has this information helped you?" type thing leading back to posting a message if the guides weren't enough.

Actually, reading this it just sounds like too much trouble, but maybe if used only when posting in the most complicated forums.

One idea that would be nice is to make a little DOS AND DONT'S list for each pertinent forum. Bold letters, not too long, just to avoid confusion or frequent mistakes (i.e. DO ask for a copy of your vaccination sheet when completing the medical examination abroad.). I'm sure the members can think of a bunch of those. It could be a sticky on top of each forum.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1forms

The DS-156 form listed there is not working

Edited by Luis&Laura

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY