Nasturtium

Curious MENA question...

120 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hi! Now hopefully we can get in a few good replies and this won't go south...

I know some people on here are more or less agnostic or atheist. I was curious as to if you sort of keep this to yourselves when you meet your MENA spouse's family, if they know, or if even your spouse knows...

Obviously many MENA people are Muslim, several are Christian or Jewish so it would sometimes be an issue with some families, same as it can be an issue with families here, but I was considering the married to a Muslim aspect of it. Some people really don't care one way or the other. That's their business.

If anyone has an experience they would like to share, I would love to hear it. Otherwise, thanks for reading and good luck in your journey :)

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

I'm especially curious about practicing Muslim men marrying agnostic, atheist or secular Christian and Jewish women. They don't catch heck like Muslim women who marry Christian or Jewish men do, and rarely are called out to justify it.

Edited by Virtual wife

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Hi! Now hopefully we can get in a few good replies and this won't go south...

I know some people on here are more or less agnostic or atheist. I was curious as to if you sort of keep this to yourselves when you meet your MENA spouse's family, if they know, or if even your spouse knows...

Obviously many MENA people are Muslim, several are Christian or Jewish so it would sometimes be an issue with some families, same as it can be an issue with families here, but I was considering the married to a Muslim aspect of it. Some people really don't care one way or the other. That's their business.

If anyone has an experience they would like to share, I would love to hear it. Otherwise, thanks for reading and good luck in your journey :)

This is where Peezey should be dropping in... she's an outspoken atheist. :whistle:

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Timeline
This is where Peezey should be dropping in... she's an outspoken atheist. :whistle:

:innocent: I had thought about that.

Hey, I hope you're doing well. Ammar said the other day that LA looked like a nice place to visit and I brought you up again!

Timeline
I'm especially curious about practicing Muslim men marrying agnostic, atheist or secular Christian and Jewish women. They don't catch heck like Muslim women who marry Christian or Jewish men do, and rarely are called out to justify it.

That is what I was curious about-- I guess the families moreso than the men... I would figure the men were OK with it one way or the other... but the families can be a totally different story. Ammar's family KNOWS I am Christian and although they are OK with me I can assure you they are not happy about that fact. Of course I'm not a cousin in general so i miss the mark on a lot of points. One does have to consider that when you marry into a family you do end up having some association with that family, whether it be minimized or not. This really may not be the right place to find out about this issue though, as most people here are somewhat newlyweds. I'd be interested in some of the long-term stories.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Im sorry... Im new but Im curious.... what was the question?

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

-- Gandhi

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

Married the love of my life: 2006-10-18

I-130 Sent : 2008-05-13

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-05-16

I-130 Approved : 2008-07-22

Timeline

I know some people on here are more or less agnostic or atheist. I was curious as to if you sort of keep this to yourselves when you meet your MENA spouse's family, if they know, or if even your spouse knows, and how does the family deal with it.

Timeline

In the Muslim culture it is believed that the man is the decision maker on the childrens religion. This is why is it ok for men to marry out of his religion but it is harder to accept from women being ... it is believed that the man is the decision maker in the childs religion

This is why they discourage woman from marrying out of their religion

-- Gandhi

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

I was curious as to if you sort of keep this to yourselves when you meet your MENA spouse's family, if they know, or if even your spouse knows...

We both have kept it to ourselves, however last year's trip to Cairo proved that my husband refuses to hide his lack or religion to his family which caused some concern and many ruffled feathers. He refuses to "act" just to save face.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Julianna, what on earth have you started here, girl?

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Timeline

I know some people on here are more or less agnostic or atheist. I was curious as to if you sort of keep this to yourselves when you meet your MENA spouse's family, if they know, or if even your spouse knows, and how does the family deal with it.

Well personally I would just keep it to yourself when it comes to his family. If they have questions answer as basic as possible. Leave it to your husband to deal with his family. It is his life Choice to be with you so he can handle his family. Muslim men feel very strongly about their religion. Women too but its always good in a relationship to understand each others choice in religion. But I must warn u ... It can turn into a heated discussion :wacko:

-- Gandhi

IR-1 / CR-1 Visa

Timeline
I was curious as to if you sort of keep this to yourselves when you meet your MENA spouse's family, if they know, or if even your spouse knows...

We both have kept it to ourselves, however last year's trip to Cairo proved that my husband refuses to hide his lack or religion to his family which caused some concern and many ruffled feathers. He refuses to "act" just to save face.

I was kind of scared starting this, thinking it would digress into past threads. Thank you for your honest and nice answer LaL! I had wondered if many men who marry either outside their religion-- be it one of the "Islamically acceptable" ones or not were either not super-religious themselves or perhaps were more on the agnostic side (or even atheist). I imagine it really depends on where you come from-- small village versus large city-- as to what is easier to have accepted or not, and also it would depend on the general feelings of the family themselves. I wish you two the best :)

:blush: hopefully nothing. This is MENA though :)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I was kind of scared starting this, thinking it would digress into past threads. Thank you for your honest and nice answer LaL! I had wondered if many men who marry either outside their religion-- be it one of the "Islamically acceptable" ones or not were either not super-religious themselves or perhaps were more on the agnostic side (or even atheist). I imagine it really depends on where you come from-- small village versus large city-- as to what is easier to have accepted or not, and also it would depend on the general feelings of the family themselves. I wish you two the best :)

:blush: hopefully nothing. This is MENA VJ though :)

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Thanks :) It was a pretty darn stressful few days when they came to realization that he no longer practices. But his doubts started back in university and have steadily waned since. Essentially we both did not marry outside of our religions because we don't ascribe to such. It only was an issue during that trip. At this point - it's a nonissue :)

Timeline
Thanks :) It was a pretty darn stressful few days when they came to realization that he no longer practices. But his doubts started back in university and have steadily waned since. Essentially we both did not marry outside of our religions because we don't ascribe to such. It only was an issue during that trip. At this point - it's a nonissue :)

That's true. And that would be another part to my question if it applied-- how his/her family deals with him/her not practicing. Sounds like your inlaws took it in stride, about as well as any family tends to take this sort of thing, MENA, American, or wherever they are from.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.