shakermaker

best way to bring my money to america?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hey guys!

I have an add on question to this (and I did try to find the info already!)

I have a lump sum (The marvelous SSIA for you irish hanging around) that I want to transfer.

If I transfer it now, into my Fiance's account, will he be taxed as it is above the annual tax free gift limit.

If I transfer it later, into my own account, will I be taxed again? Its all clean money and I've paid tax on it here in Ireland

Thanks for replies or points in the right direction!

HSBC offshore also does Euro accounts so that may be an otpion, see link above. You can exchange some or all in as Dollars now to gain access but you will basically have it available to do what you want with before or after you move.

And no i don't work for bank but i use this account and it has been very useful

Snail Line...

I-129F Sent : 07-27-2007

Returned wrong fee and sent again

I-129F NOA1 : 09-06-2007

Touched: 12-26-2007 Well it was only to update my address

Touched: 03-27-2008 Big surprise, damn, means expectations going high again, don't let me down!

I-129F NOA2 : 03-31-2008 Well it was a nice touch!!!

Interview Date (K1 Visa): 06-10-2008 in Manila

Visa Received : 2008-07-11

US Entry : 2008-07-18

Marriage : 2008-08-30

11.gif

Filed: Timeline

Quite a number of us use Custom House. I believe xe is affiliated with them, also.

Personally, I would wait until you are married and and transfer it then because the gift tax does not apply to spouses. Also, according to the IRS, your fiancé does not have to report the gift. Since you are not here, yet, I can't see where there would be a problem but I am certainly no tax accountant.

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Regholdsworth - HSBC probably isn't any good to her, cos they don't have them in Ireland.

Slightly Bonkers - well done for hanging on to your SSIA for this long, I'm actually also going to use up the last of it on this move, but happy to have it. (Forty Coats would be proud!!)

Oh and also Kritkrit sounds like she knows what she's talking about on the IRS front, so I'd take her advice on the transferring business

The UK Wiki

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.