ktun

Computer & Discs Question

10 posts in this topic

Whilst I'm back briefly in the UK, I'm taking the opportunity to get some files off my computer here to transfer onto my new computer back in the States. The C drive stuff shouldn't really be too much of a problem as I'm going to get a memory stick. My question is really about files that have been stored on the A floppy drive. My new computer doesn't have a floppy drive, is there an easy way of moving these files?

I also have a floppy disk that seems to have an error on it now. It says that it needs to be formatted and wont read or display any files. However, it was formatted, as this particular one has my Final Year university files on it and my dissertation. I'd really like to be able to access these again. Does anyone know how this can be done, or is all my work lost permanently?

Thank you for your help

Kate :)

AOS TIMELINE

16th December 2005 - Sent I-130, AOS, EAD & AP USPS overnight to Chicago Lockbox

18th December 2005 - Received at Chicago 9.18pm.

23rd December 2005 - NOAs for I-130, AOS, EAD, AP!! Didn't expect them that quickly

13th January 2006 - RFE for Medical and additional I-864 info

17th January 2006 - INFOPASS Apt about RFE.

23rd January 2006 - Appointment notice for Biometrics on 10th Feb.

10th February 2006 - Biometrics Appointment

21st February 2006 - Medical. Cost $250 including all blood tests, Td Shot, TB test and Titers for MMR and Varicella.

27th February 2006 - Appointment with immigration lawyer re. RFE for I-864.

1st March 2006 - Final results Medical. Papers in hand to send.

10th March 2006 - RFE responses to Lees Summit

13th March 2006 - RFE responses signed for at Lees Summit

24th March 2006 - Emergency AP approved in Omaha

28th March 2006- Collected AP

31st March 2006 - EAD Approval online

7th April 2006 - EAD arrived in mailbox.

21st April 2006- Received Interview Date for 22nd June

9th May 2006- Received SSN

22nd June 2006- AOS INTERVIEW APPROVED

REMOVING CONDITIONS

June 20 2008 - Package mailed to CSC under new rules. Would have been an NSC transfer

June 23 2008 - Package recieved at CSC

June 27 2008 - Recieve NOA1

July 16 2008 - Biometrics

July 17 2008 - Touched

September 9 2008 - Card production ordered

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

NOT to be one of those who says..sorry dunno..but...sorry, I don't know. hehe..ok, what I really wanted to say was I wish Craig was here because he would know..he's great with this stuff..but I'm sure you'll get an answer here..we have some puter whizzes here I think!! I hope you get your work back...I'm sure there must be a way! :yes::) M.

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

couple lil silly questions........lol Im typing this while my son is talking to me.

Is the safety switch on? Its a lil switch in the corner of the floppy oposite the metal or plastic thingy

Did you format the floppy originally yourself or was it on another computer by someone else?

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Yes, indeed I did originally format the disc myself the very first time I put it in the computer and that message comes up. The same message is coming up now, but I haven't 're-formatted' it as that would wipe all the files on the disc, wouldn't it?

I'm not sure what you mean by the 'safety switch' I didnt know they came with such a thing, or what that would do? *Confused* Sorry that's not much help is it, but I'm rather clueless on these discs, and I'm normally good with computer stuff. :(

Michelle, I appreciate your 'sorry dunno' :) Read in one of the other threads that you weren't feeling great last night, hope you're doing better now.

AOS TIMELINE

16th December 2005 - Sent I-130, AOS, EAD & AP USPS overnight to Chicago Lockbox

18th December 2005 - Received at Chicago 9.18pm.

23rd December 2005 - NOAs for I-130, AOS, EAD, AP!! Didn't expect them that quickly

13th January 2006 - RFE for Medical and additional I-864 info

17th January 2006 - INFOPASS Apt about RFE.

23rd January 2006 - Appointment notice for Biometrics on 10th Feb.

10th February 2006 - Biometrics Appointment

21st February 2006 - Medical. Cost $250 including all blood tests, Td Shot, TB test and Titers for MMR and Varicella.

27th February 2006 - Appointment with immigration lawyer re. RFE for I-864.

1st March 2006 - Final results Medical. Papers in hand to send.

10th March 2006 - RFE responses to Lees Summit

13th March 2006 - RFE responses signed for at Lees Summit

24th March 2006 - Emergency AP approved in Omaha

28th March 2006- Collected AP

31st March 2006 - EAD Approval online

7th April 2006 - EAD arrived in mailbox.

21st April 2006- Received Interview Date for 22nd June

9th May 2006- Received SSN

22nd June 2006- AOS INTERVIEW APPROVED

REMOVING CONDITIONS

June 20 2008 - Package mailed to CSC under new rules. Would have been an NSC transfer

June 23 2008 - Package recieved at CSC

June 27 2008 - Recieve NOA1

July 16 2008 - Biometrics

July 17 2008 - Touched

September 9 2008 - Card production ordered

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

I have a couple pain pills in me,and at the moment I'm feeling better than I have in days, so thank you, yes!! :)

Yes, reformatting WOULD wipe the files, so definitely don't do that! :no:

What Lorelle is referring to is, as she said, a little tab on one ofthe sides of your disk.If it's pushed one direction or the other it prevents things from being recorded..kind of like if you pop that little tab out on an old cassette tape! good thought Aussie; it never occurred to me!

Best of luck with it girl, and hope you're having a nice time over there..you're closer to my guy than I am right now... :(;) M.

Edited by MichelleandCraig

ManU2.jpg

10 year green card received

mid March, 2008. Done 'til Naturalization! WOOT! :)

Floppy discs are notorious though unfortunately for comming up with errors....and are very unreliable when it comes to viewing data and you may very well of lost everything.

If you havent reformatted your computer and still have the same file system as it was when you saved the data to floppy ........and the safety switch hasnt been locked........then there is unlikely anything you can do. They are not like CD's. Someone else may know something that myself and my son dont so here's hoping.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

That is a common problem with floppies. You might try to look at it on another computer. I have found that you can get one more look at it that way. As for the rest of your floppies just transfer them to your desktop and them put them on a USB memory stick.

If you don't have a floppy go to a computer shop. They may be able to 'repair' the floppy.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Do a search online, there are some disk recovery programs available you could try. Most cost but there are a couple of free ones out there. Basically what you would do after installing one of these programs on your computer is put the floppy in, if it has tthe option of saving the files contiguously then do so, and tell the program to recover the files. They'll then have to be written to another disk.

July 12, 2002 - Married

I130

May 18, 2005 - Sent Certified Mail USPS with Money Order for fees

May 20, 2005 - Received Date

June 2, 2005 - Notice Date

June 6, 2005 - Received NOA1

September 10, 2005No action to date

December 1, 2005 -Approved

I129

August 25, 2005 - Sent Certified Mail USPS with Money Order for fees

August 26, 2005 - USPS tracking shows Delivered, August 26, 2005, 1:54 pm, CHICAGO, IL 60680

September 7, 2005 - "touched" I think

September 12, 2005 - Received NOA1 showing receipt date of August 30, 2005

October 17, 2005 - APPROVED!!!

November 27, 2005 - Received by NVC

November 3, 2005 - RFE received from Consulate

November 18, 2005 - RFE delivered to Consulate

November 28, 2005 - Instructions received

December 6, 2005 - Medical Appt Much confusion and lack of communication by Physicians caused much delay :(

March 23 - Checklist received

May 12 - Packet 4 received

June 1 - Interview

June 1 - APPROVED!!!!!

June 7 - Steve Arrived home

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Second PsychoKat's suggestion above. I have managed to recover floppy disks using Norton Disk Doctor and others. But I wouldn't count on it. If using floppies, I would usually keep a copy of the contents on my C: drive.

The initial mystery that attends any journey is: how did the traveller reach his starting point in the first place?

---Louise Bogan, Journey Around my Room