nunyab

Muslims

2,650 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Mona-jamie- ask anything u want lol dont worry about it.... well it is protected like u said the only thing that has affected mine is lack of oxygen.. so i make sure it gets enuff air when im not out (:

estadia- unfortunately lots of gurls here in egypt who r muslims but not religious wear it becoz they cant afford a nice hair at the salon :( sad!

lyrics.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I think becoz its the frst thing ppl will notice n talk about lol to most women it is the most important thing... they dont know that even hijabies care about their hair too; esp. when u re married u have to look nice for ur hubby ;D

I've wondered if your hair would end up in even better shape -- no UV rays and air pollutants soaking in all day long. Sorry if this exactly the kind of silly question you're tired of, but has anyone noticed their hair becoming healthier after you started wearing hijab?

No one has ever asked me about my hair. There is one dude at my workplace that I try to avoid because everytime I see him he asks me why I wear it. Then he goes on about the bible and stuff but I am usually in the elevator with him when he does this and then I get to escape.

My hair is in worse shape now then when I didn't wear hijab. When I take it off it's all knotted unless I had it in a ponytail but if I put it in a ponytail hair falls out due to my autoimmune disease. I have kind of a bald spot growing in the back of my head. My husband always wants to put this conditioner he used to sell in my hair but I'm always too busy. Maybe I'll let him do that to me this weekend. He did it once in Cairo and it was kind of nice having my husband do my hair. :)

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

I was actually intrigued by hijab when I first became a Muslim because of the fact that you did not have to spend gobs of time styling your hair. that was not really for "those" reasons, but I began to think that yes guys do notice that and that attracks attention to women which Islam says not to do. I began to think about one time male bosses picked apart my hair if it was wind blown (dont have a car so walk to work) before I even walk into my office (this only happened one time but he said it in front of everyone to embarrass me as if I was a pig). That was the main big example I could think of of how a guy noticed my hair. I could not think of any bigger or more examples. But that one sticks in my mind because everyone stared at me because of what he said. (and leave it to a man to judge a woman right). When I left my old place, I started to wear hijab when I moved to the east coast. This is the stuff I've gotten and it's kinda weird.

Yes, people ask me about my hair but not so often. Some people might ask me why I wear it and they are curious. One woman asked me what color my hair was. That does not bother me though. They are doing it because they are curious and they treat me no different after they know then before.

Nonmuslim men will come up to me on the street of all places and tell me how nice my scarf looks, LOL They are not being flirtatious...they just wanna say that and then go about their way. I don't know what that means. A little girl even told me this in the mall one time. Well, regarding the men, supposedly men respect you more if you cover. This is what I read about hijab and some of the scholars I've listened to say. So maybe that is why nonmuslim men took notice.

The Muslim men? Someones going to throw tomatoes at me for this one. They were the biggest jerks of all. Looking to get married in Islam, the guy naturally wants a girl who wears hijab and does all this and that to be ueber erligious. I was told that I have to look for a guy who respects the hijab, does this, does that, and beards are glorified too. But those guys see a woman in hijab and say "Oh mashallah mashallah mashallah!" as if they are giving a cat call! Because you know what those Muslims say? "OO...you are religoius but your face is not beautiful"

I stopped wearing hijab after last year's proposal went bad. Why do I want to wear a scarf that makes me look ugly because it does not allow me to beautify myself, it only MAKES people ONLY see the ugly part of me which is my face? Actually the only man I've known to respect me in both hijab and not hijab is my husband. So for that and for that only I say mashallah.

June 14, 2007 Sent I130 to Vermont Service Center via USPS overnight

June 15, 2007 Confirmed on usps.com that VSC has received packet

June 29, 2007 Check cashed by USCIS (hey they opened my packet!)

June 30, 2007 Received NOA1

July 7, 2007 I130 touched

July 9, 2007 I130 touched

July 10, 2007 I130 touched

Aug. 24, 2007 I130 touched

Aug. 26, 2007 I130 touched (stop feeling up my husband's case and get him over here, yala!)

Oct. 1, 2007 On my way to Palestine

Oct. 5, 2007 I130 approved, transferrerd to NVC YAY!!!!

Oct. 16, 2007 Return to US, ranks one of the saddest day of my life:(

Oct. 27, 2007 Agent form/AOS bill received from NVC

Nov 1, 2007 Overnighted AOS payment to NVC

Nov. 29, 2007 Received AOS form from NVC

Dec. 20, 2007 overnighted I864 packet to NVC

Timeline
I stopped wearing hijab after last year's proposal went bad. Why do I want to wear a scarf that makes me look ugly because it does not allow me to beautify myself, it only MAKES people ONLY see the ugly part of me which is my face?

I don't wear hijab for anyone but Allah. Who cares what I look like anyways? In the end I'm not going to get into heaven for having a pretty face and nice hair all the time, you know? If I bothered myself about how I look in hijab I don't think I'd last very long in it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
I stopped wearing hijab after last year's proposal went bad. Why do I want to wear a scarf that makes me look ugly because it does not allow me to beautify myself, it only MAKES people ONLY see the ugly part of me which is my face?

I don't wear hijab for anyone but Allah. Who cares what I look like anyways? In the end I'm not going to get into heaven for having a pretty face and nice hair all the time, you know? If I bothered myself about how I look in hijab I don't think I'd last very long in it.

:thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I stopped wearing hijab after last year's proposal went bad. Why do I want to wear a scarf that makes me look ugly because it does not allow me to beautify myself, it only MAKES people ONLY see the ugly part of me which is my face? Actually the only man I've known to respect me in both hijab and not hijab is my husband. So for that and for that only I say mashallah.

I'm confused :blink: ... were you proposed to by someone else last year? I'm assuming the proposal w/ your intended went well enough that you're filing for a visa.... :whistle:

BJsTm6.png

*No conflict when the flute is playing, for then I see every movement emanates from God's Holy Dance* ~ Hafiz

Timeline

I can't remember if you all brought up the topic of prayer yet but I have notsomuch a problem but kind of a dilemma. I don't always do my salat on time, but I do make a point of making them up at the end of each day if I have missed any. It's not that I don't want to make salat, I actually enjoy it and it's just about the only time in my day where I gain inner peace and feel relief, you know?

Anyhoo.....................................my husband is the salat king. LOL. It doesn't matter what he's doing when he hears the call the prayer (we have a software on the computer that has the call at each time) he drops what he is doing and goes and prays. Even if it's in the middle of a tv show where they're about to FINALLY say who dunnit. He does not hesitate.

Well after living with me for one month he noticed that I don't jump like him because sometimes I'm in the middle of something like I"ll have to take the kids to softball or I'm in the middle of working or whatever. I told him that although I know it's best to do it in it's time, I still have the right to make up the salat. He is of the opinion that my making it up after it's time is gone is useless since God will not accept it. I have tried to show him proof otherwise but the proof that I have is actually kind of weak.

Does anyone have fullproof proof (omg say that ten times fast...i dare ya!! ) or am I full of it and he's right?

This is what I understood in my reading...

as long as you make up ur prayer BEFORE THE NEXT PRAYER IS DUE then it is accepted. Therefore, If you try to make up ..say morning prayer..at night prayer, then it is not accepted. (sorry i'm so tired i can't remember the name of htem...other than fajr) anyway..thats how hubby and I do it coz we both translated it that way.

The only time they're accepted otherwise is if you have been traveling more than 100 miles (i'm fairly sure its 100 but please dbl check coz i'm probably wrong) and have not had the opportunity to pray or make woodoo.

hope this helps

(F) amal (F)

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Timeline

I would like to ask anybody here who converted from Christianity to Islam some things. Did you convert prior to meeting your SO? I know this may not make sense to some but did you suffer walking that line of decision? Do you have any suggested sites for somebody going through this to read besides talking to their SO? There is no pressure in my situation just dealing with my own issues. I would appreciate any suggestions.......

Edited by t and a

My recommendation is.. read the qura'an. It IS Islam and has everything u need. If you're considering converting..what better place than reading qura'an. I may even have an extra if u need one.

I'm fairly sure one of the good sites is islamicity.com if that helps any

Interview-December 2005

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Timeline
I can't remember if you all brought up the topic of prayer yet but I have notsomuch a problem but kind of a dilemma. I don't always do my salat on time, but I do make a point of making them up at the end of each day if I have missed any. It's not that I don't want to make salat, I actually enjoy it and it's just about the only time in my day where I gain inner peace and feel relief, you know?

Anyhoo.....................................my husband is the salat king. LOL. It doesn't matter what he's doing when he hears the call the prayer (we have a software on the computer that has the call at each time) he drops what he is doing and goes and prays. Even if it's in the middle of a tv show where they're about to FINALLY say who dunnit. He does not hesitate.

Well after living with me for one month he noticed that I don't jump like him because sometimes I'm in the middle of something like I"ll have to take the kids to softball or I'm in the middle of working or whatever. I told him that although I know it's best to do it in it's time, I still have the right to make up the salat. He is of the opinion that my making it up after it's time is gone is useless since God will not accept it. I have tried to show him proof otherwise but the proof that I have is actually kind of weak.

Does anyone have fullproof proof (omg say that ten times fast...i dare ya!! ) or am I full of it and he's right?

I got in trouble for doing salat at work - they said I was being ostentasious about my religion and it bothered alot of the employees - so I don't do it anymore. I have considered going into the back stairwell to pray, but it hasn't worked out so well since it's fairly dirty and dusty. I guess I just don't have the energy to fight it anymore :unsure:

My husband trys to do his on time as well, but works a dirty, manual labor job and can't always pray ontime either. He understands.

Admitting this has made me think that I need to try harder to find a place to pray :blush: I used to be the type that would pull off the side of the road if I needed to pray, but have somehow lost that along with all my hobbies and free time :crying:

يَايُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُوا اسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَوةِ اِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّبِرِينَ

“O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient. (Al-Baqarah 2:153 )”

and i'll also be happy to help with any questions that I am able to answer. Let me know if there is anythign I can do for u

Interview-December 2005

Timeline
I would like to ask anybody here who converted from Christianity to Islam some things. Did you convert prior to meeting your SO? I know this may not make sense to some but did you suffer walking that line of decision? Do you have any suggested sites for somebody going through this to read besides talking to their SO? There is no pressure in my situation just dealing with my own issues. I would appreciate any suggestions.......

Here's a nice place to start:

http://www.iprofess.com/english.htm

I met my husband while trying to convert him to Christianity. Obviously that didn't work out too well hahahaha. Anyways in order to make my point clearly I had to learn more about Islam so I bought the Islam for Dummies book. That was what opened up the door for me and after that I joined a few online forums like islamicboard.com and islamway for sisters. One person from a different board donated to me a bunch of books and the one that finally made me convinced was a book about the four gospels. I have to admit although I was Catholic and thought I knew my stuff I totally took the bible for granted and never questioned one iota of it. I don't want to get into it here but if you want the name of the book I can go look for it when I get home and tell you the name of it.

From there I contacted a local group that holds classes at Harvard and the woman who organized the groups invited me to lunch. The morning after that I said my shahada and the rest, as they say, is history. I made many mistakes along the way, one of which was asking questions on this forum about the religion. I learned to ask those questions in more relative forums and to people at the mosque that I trust.

I have to say not once did my husband ask me to convert and as a matter of fact even after I did he wasn't too too excited because he was afraid that I only did it for him.

Timeline

Thanks for the help! I know reading the Quran would be the best way to learn I just didn't have a Quran in English and I am by no means literate in Arabic enough to read from my husbands. Thanks Amal for your support!

Bridget, if you don't mind would you look for me and pm me when you find the name of the book?

Thanks again everybody! My husband has a world of knowledge if I ask him the right questions. It's just sometimes you wonder what to expect when you are in your valley of decision.

Thanks for the help! I know reading the Quran would be the best way to learn I just didn't have a Quran in English and I am by no means literate in Arabic enough to read from my husbands. Thanks Amal for your support!

Bridget, if you don't mind would you look for me and pm me when you find the name of the book?

Thanks again everybody! My husband has a world of knowledge if I ask him the right questions. It's just sometimes you wonder what to expect when you are in your valley of decision.

we should yahoo 2nite

bridget, will u pm me the name of that book as well? :)

Interview-December 2005

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.