nunyab

Muslims

2,650 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

May Allah reward you Amy inshallah. Just keep in contact with her and keep her encouraged and inshallah her heart will stay pure

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Amy I think you are doing the right thing! Having a good companionship is so important when you are new! I remember when I decided to take my religion seriously I had the most amazing friends who really stood by me and supported me when so many ppl in my family and even friends were against for so long!!

Like Kenza said May Allah reward you for this and keep you both on the right path always ameeeen.

lyrics.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

One of the best pieces of advice I've ever seen for newbie converts comes from the now defunct iprofess website:

The Most Important Advice that We Can Give You

The most important advice that we at I Profess.com can give to you, the new Muslim, isn't how to do your hijab, or how to tell others about Islam, or how to find a halal meat market. No, the most important piece of advice that we can offer is, oddly enough, one that many, many new Muslims don't even think about, or don't want to deal with.

It is exciting to go out and wear your new identity on your sleeve (or head), and it is exciting to discuss new politics and to tell others why they should become a Muslim. I agree with you, that those things are very exciting. And as a new Muslim, you have an abundance of energy and emotions that you, naturally, want to spend.

I'm asking you to slow down for a second and really consider what I have to say, without thinking, "Oh yeah, I know all this, I've heard it before." I titled this essay "The Most Important Advice that We Can Give You," because if I had put the subject in the title, I doubt that many of you would even be reading this. It is a subject that some new Muslims deem "boring," "unnecessary," or even think "I have lots of time to do learn this." If I was in the same room with you, I'd close the door, and make you sit in front of me. I need your undivided attention for this.

The most important thing for you to learn, as a new Muslim, is not how to wear hijab, and not how to speak Arabic, and not where to buy halal meats. It isn't to learn how to tell others about Islam, or to change your name to an Arabic name, or to get married. No. The most important piece of advice that we at I Profess.com, and I personally, can impart to you is that you learn how to do your required, or fardh, prescribed prayers, or salat (Salat-ul-Fardh). It is the first thing that you should learn, and the thing you should be most eager to accomplish as a Muslim.

Is it really that important??

In a word, yes. I did not understand the importance of making salat, or prescribed prayers, when I first became a Muslim. I dragged my feet when it came to learning the movements, the words, and other matters of prayer, and I still have not accomplished a comprehensive knowledge of the various aspects of salat. All the knowledge of hijabs and of da'wa and of Arabic will not save you on the Last Day, when it is asked of you, "How often did you pray?" Living and coming from a culture that emphasizes "squeezing it all in," "all work and no play," and which commends people who arrange for "quality time" with their families, it is important for us to realize that Salat-ul-Fardh is not only the time when we give Allah His "props," it is also a break for us from the craziness of our daily lives. It's five or ten minutes here and there, when we slow down, when we have only one obligation, when we have a little peace, and yet, we are accomplishing something far more important than brokering business deals or landing a big account. If you think that you are "too busy" to make five prayers a day (and three of them are done at home), look at the example of Muhammad (peace be upon him). This man was an advisor, a husband, a father, a statesman, a military leader, AND a prophet, and yet, not only did he have the time to make his Salat-ul-Fardh, he had the time to do EXTRA prayers, Salat-ul-Sunnah, AND to spend at least 1/3 of the night engaged in prayer

It continues at the link.

Also, I know I promised a few people I'd send them prayer cards, and procrastinator that I am, haven't gotten around to it yet. If you'd like a set, please email me (E, I do have yours all set to go). ummsqueakster at gmail dot com Gah, procrastination. This month has sucked. I suck. I apologize :(

Edited by UmmSqueakster

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I don't post in this thread much, but I totally love it!! :thumbs:

UmSqueaster, mashaAllah your efforts are great! :thumbs:

HLM, I stick with the simple easy way to wear a hijab too! I usually wear a matching color band under my hijab :)

I recently read that book 'Does my Head Look Big in This?' By Randa Abdel-Fattah who is an Australian of an a Palestinian-Egyptian origin. Its a novel about a 16-year old girl who decided to wear the hijab at her last year of high school. It discusses the issues she faced in a non-Muslim community and how it took her through a journey of spiritual growth. The book is VERY-WELL written, also it's hilarious!! The book tackles other issues as well, some of them cultural differences, and just being Muslim in a non-Muslim country... I got it for John last week... I totally recommend it! :)

Does My Head Look Big in This?

Amy, keep it up sister! InshaAllah she will stay strong! :star:

Edited by Aya&John

ROC Timeline

8/1/12: ROC window opens
9/4/12: ROC packet sent
9/8/12: ROC packet delivered to VSC
9/12/12: Check cashed
9/14/12: NOA letter received (NOA dated 9/10/12)
9/20/12: Biometrics letter received (Bio appointment 10/15/12)
10/12/12: Early biometrics walk-in

4/27/13: RFE received

6/17/13: RFE response sent

7/1/13: ROC petition approved

7/5/13: GC received in the mail.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I somehow misplaced this thread in the shuffle... :unsure: I have tried to contact that woman a couple times since I posted this, but she hasn't gotten back to me, and didn't show up at Jummah the last couple weeks. I am not sure what's going on with her, but I make dua for her.

Okay, something that has come up with all the baby-business going on in our part of the woods (we are having a girl, woo! Now I can put off dealing with circumcision! :thumbs::whistle:) is the Egyptian naming thing. I am sure some of you are familiar with this, you have First-name father's-name grandfather's-name, and so on. My husband has five names, which is pretty common. He actually managed to have them put all of his names on his visa, somehow (but only two made it onto his SS card :P) Anyway, he has been insisting to me that this form of naming is Islamic, but I am really unsure about that. The closest thing I could find was this wikipedia article on Arabic names (if you scroll down to the "Arabic family naming convention" part, it explains it better), but it doesn't specify if it is cultural, religious, or what. I know there are a lot of non-Arab Muslim countries that don't practice this naming convention, and I have a hard time believing that all those people are misinformed.

For the record, I have no issue with this type of naming scheme, and I will throw as many of my husband's names onto our daughter's name as the US government will allow. :) I am just curious about the origin of it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

May Allah guide her inshallah. Mabrook Amy on the baby girl! Sorry, I don't have much to say about the naming cuz in Morocco they do just two names formally but when talking about someone might say bint..wild...etc. I don't think there is anything said Islamically. If you want several names, I would go with her first name, your husband's and stop with her grandfathers. Name, Grandfathers name, husbands name, last name. IDK good luck, others inshallah will have a better response!

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

Timeline
I somehow misplaced this thread in the shuffle... :unsure: I have tried to contact that woman a couple times since I posted this, but she hasn't gotten back to me, and didn't show up at Jummah the last couple weeks. I am not sure what's going on with her, but I make dua for her.

Okay, something that has come up with all the baby-business going on in our part of the woods (we are having a girl, woo! Now I can put off dealing with circumcision! :thumbs::whistle:) is the Egyptian naming thing. I am sure some of you are familiar with this, you have First-name father's-name grandfather's-name, and so on. My husband has five names, which is pretty common. He actually managed to have them put all of his names on his visa, somehow (but only two made it onto his SS card :P) Anyway, he has been insisting to me that this form of naming is Islamic, but I am really unsure about that. The closest thing I could find was this wikipedia article on Arabic names (if you scroll down to the "Arabic family naming convention" part, it explains it better), but it doesn't specify if it is cultural, religious, or what. I know there are a lot of non-Arab Muslim countries that don't practice this naming convention, and I have a hard time believing that all those people are misinformed.

For the record, I have no issue with this type of naming scheme, and I will throw as many of my husband's names onto our daughter's name as the US government will allow. :) I am just curious about the origin of it.

congrats on the babe amy!

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Amy, congrats on the baby girl! My son has 5 names. I am not sure whether it was an Arab tradition or Islamic so I can't answer the question. If our son was a girl, we would have picked her first name and given her the rest of her father's names. I agreed because if she did move back to the ME she would be named like everybody else. Here my son normally has three names but on his ss card and birth certificate all three are present.

I was told when I was kind of bummed about all of the names that here in the US we are one of the few countries that name as we do instead of the bloodline. Not sure of the facts of this though...

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

The Aim, Purpose, and Consequence of Consistent Spiritual Routines- Imam al-Haddad, with Commentary from Faraz Rabbani

In the Name of Allah, the Benevolent, the Merciful. May Allah’s blessings and peace be upon His Beloved Messenger, his companions and folk. Imam Abdallah ibn Alawi al-Haddad (Allah have mercy on him) (d.1132 Hijri) said,

‘The aim and spirit of spiritual routines (awrad) is presence with Allah.

Aim for it; you will reach it only if you travel the road that leads to it, which is performing the external activities and striving to be present with Allah during them. When you persevere in this you become immersed in the lights of Proximity, and the sciences of gnosis emanate upon you, at which your heart becomes wholly intent on God and presence becomes its nature and well-established quality.’ [The Book of Assistance]

Commentary on Imam Haddad’s Saying

A wird (plural: awrad) is any regular routine of worship, such as prayer, remembrance (dhikr), supplication (dua), fasting, and so on. One can also consider regular routines of religious study and reading to be a wird.

It is sunna to be consistent in one’s works; to take on only as much as one can sustain with excellence, without feeling overwhelmed; to focus not only on actions, but on excellence in one’s actions; and to strive for gradual, meaningful increase that is sustainable.

Prophetic Guidance on Consistency and its Consequence

The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Take from actions that which you can sustain, for verily Allah doesn’t tire until you tire.” [bukhari & Muslim, from A'isha (Allah be pleased with her)]

This means, as Imam Nawawi explains, that Allah doesn’t tire of rewarding and accepting your works until you tire of performing them; or that it is not Allah who tires (for He is exalted beyond imperfection) but it is you who tires.

And our Beloved Messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Verily, this religion is ease, and none will make the religion difficult except that it will overwhelm them. So remain steadfastly committed; do your best; and be of glad tidings. And seek assistance in the early mornings; the late afternoons; and something of the depths of the night.” [bukhari and Nasa'i, from Abu Hurayra (Allah be pleased with him)]

Making the religion difficult is to take on more than one can manage. Remaining steadfastly committed entails seeking knowledge of who to seek Allah Most High, how to act according to the Prophetic example of excellence, and to strive to act accordingly. Doing one’s best is to take on what one can sustain; to keep consistent; and to do the best one is able to manage if one can’t do everything completely. Being of glad tidings entails celebrating the favour of Allah Most High having gifted one with the urge to seek His pleasure; the knowledge of how His pleasure is sought; and for inspiring one to act accordingly. “Say, in the bounty of Allah and His blessings, in that let them rejoice…” [Qur'an, 10.58]

The three blessed times that are particularly beneficial for spiritual striving are (1) Fajr time and after sunrise, when there are few distractions (the early mornings); (2) Asr time, or during and after one’s return from work (the late afternoons); and a little of the late night, after having slept (tahajjud time)–the time for true lovers of Allah to stand with their beloved.

The Reality of Sincerity, its Manifestation in Consistency, and its Consequence

Sincerity is to seek Allah Most High alone in one’s actions. This meaning is manifest in consistently–as it affirms that one acts for the sake of Allah whether one have the inclination to or not; and it manifests the trueness of one’s yearning for Allah.

Consistency also strengthens one’s resolve to seek Allah; makes one’s efforts add up; changes the heart, polishes it, and directs it towards Allah. And if one’s seeking becomes consistent, then one will surely find Allah–and attain unto His closeness, love, and presence.

Walking to Allah and Allah Rushing to You

The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) related that Allah Most High says, “I am as My servant thinks of Me. And I am with them when they remember Me. And, by Allah, Allah rejoices more in the repentance of His servant than when one of you finds their lost property in a vast space. Whoever draws close to Me by a handspan, I draw close to them by an arm’s length; and whoever draws close to Me by an arm’s length, I draw close to them by two arm’s lengths; and whoever directs themselves to Me walking, I direct Myself to them running.” [Muslim, from Abu Hurayra (Allah be pleased with him); Bukhari mentions it with similar wording]

This means that anything the one does of the good for the sake of Allah is magnified in its reward and spiritual consequence–and that when one’s directing oneself to Allah becomes consistent and true, then Allah rushes to one by granting His closeness, love, beholding, and concern. [Ayni, Umdat al-Qari Sharh Sahih al-Bukhari, and others]

cdc3c5aa-d12d-4e6b-902e-a7b7071e8593.jpg

Imam Ahmad relates that the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) said that Allah Most High says, “O child of Adam! Stand up for Me, and I will walk towards you. Walk towards Me, and I will rush towards you.” [Ahmad, Musnad, with a rigorously authenticated (sahih) chain of narrators according to Imam Mundhiri, in his Targhib ]

May Allah make us of the people of sincerity, consistency, trueness in turning to Allah–and of those whom Allah accepts, turns to, loves, draws close, and grants His spiritual beholding, such that we worship, submit, and live “as though we behold Him,” with every step and breath expended on the footsteps of His Beloved Messenger Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him and his folk).

And Allah alone gives success.

Faraz Rabbani

Ashrafiyya[/url], with thanks.]

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline
Amy I think you are doing the right thing! Having a good companionship is so important when you are new! I remember when I decided to take my religion seriously I had the most amazing friends who really stood by me and supported me when so many ppl in my family and even friends were against for so long!!

Like Kenza said May Allah reward you for this and keep you both on the right path always ameeeen.

I am so glad to have found this thread and wish that I had found it months ago. I converted to Islam a little over a year ago and sometimes it has been very difficult, because I don't have a companion here to guide me, answer questions, show me the right way for things.

I read Amy's post about the woman she met and think it is the best advice she could give a person. I tried to learn everything at once.. wudu, salat, hadiths, wearing the hijab, learning what I could no longer eat, etc. It was all so overwhelming. Focusing on the most important things first, and worrying about small details like hijab later, helped for it to become a little less overwhelming. Though I must admit, even a year later I am HORRIBLE at trying to wear the hijab correctly :)

We do have a decent size Muslim population in my area, and I had tried to attend women's meetings at the mosque near my home, but they were always held during the weekday afternoons and it was not possible for me to miss work to be able to attend these. I tried a few times, but it was just too difficult with my work schedule and then they stopped holding these meetings, so it was no longer an option for me. My work schedule also keeps me from going to prayers at the mosque, so learning has been difficult for me.

I have had to learn much on my own..reading from the internet, reading from books, and I sometimes find that things I thought I had been doing correctly I was not. I taught myself Salat from watching videos on the internet. On my last visit to Turkey, my fiance's sisters showed me that I had been doing some things wrong.

We don't speak the same language, but they were wonderful in trying so hard to communicate to me what I was doing wrong and what I needed to do differently. I was upset that what I had thought I had been doing correctly all this time wasn't correct at all, but my Fiance was very quick to point out that what was in my heart was what was most important.. and if I what I had been doing was what I truly believed was correct then it did not matter and I should not worry about mistakes I had made with salat in the past.

We both look forward to the day we will be able to be together and he can help to answer my questions and help me to learn the things I still do not know. INSALLAH.

Once he is here, I will be able to change my work schedule and will hopefully able to meet some other women in my area that can help to guide me.

Amy, I hope you will see that woman again and be able to help her. I wish I had met someone like you when I first began this journey.

02/23/08 - Met in Turkey
07/09/08 - Denial of Visitor Visa to U.S.A.
06/04/09 - 2nd Denial of Visitor Visa to U.S.A.

09/22/09 - I-129F Sent
09/24/2009 - NOA1
10/19/2009 - NOA2

INTERVIEW DATE - February 23, 2010 - also the two year anniversary of the day we met smile.png

03/30/2010 - Married

04/29/2010 - Mailed AOS Packet
07/14/2010 - AOS Approved!
07/24/2010 - Green Card in Hand!

04/26/2012 - Mailed ROC Packet
01/03/2012- ROC Approved

01/10/2013 - 10 year Green Card in Hand

04/14/2102 - Mailed N400 Packet

05/13/2013 - Biometrics
08/19/2013 - Citizenship interview

09/18/2013 - Oath Cermony.

It's finally all over! He's a citizen :)

Timeline
I am so glad to have found this thread and wish that I had found it months ago. I converted to Islam a little over a year ago and sometimes it has been very difficult, because I don't have a companion here to guide me, answer questions, show me the right way for things.

I read Amy's post about the woman she met and think it is the best advice she could give a person. I tried to learn everything at once.. wudu, salat, hadiths, wearing the hijab, learning what I could no longer eat, etc. It was all so overwhelming. Focusing on the most important things first, and worrying about small details like hijab later, helped for it to become a little less overwhelming. Though I must admit, even a year later I am HORRIBLE at trying to wear the hijab correctly :)

We do have a decent size Muslim population in my area, and I had tried to attend women's meetings at the mosque near my home, but they were always held during the weekday afternoons and it was not possible for me to miss work to be able to attend these. I tried a few times, but it was just too difficult with my work schedule and then they stopped holding these meetings, so it was no longer an option for me. My work schedule also keeps me from going to prayers at the mosque, so learning has been difficult for me.

I have had to learn much on my own..reading from the internet, reading from books, and I sometimes find that things I thought I had been doing correctly I was not. I taught myself Salat from watching videos on the internet. On my last visit to Turkey, my fiance's sisters showed me that I had been doing some things wrong.

We don't speak the same language, but they were wonderful in trying so hard to communicate to me what I was doing wrong and what I needed to do differently. I was upset that what I had thought I had been doing correctly all this time wasn't correct at all, but my Fiance was very quick to point out that what was in my heart was what was most important.. and if I what I had been doing was what I truly believed was correct then it did not matter and I should not worry about mistakes I had made with salat in the past.

We both look forward to the day we will be able to be together and he can help to answer my questions and help me to learn the things I still do not know. INSALLAH.

Once he is here, I will be able to change my work schedule and will hopefully able to meet some other women in my area that can help to guide me.

Amy, I hope you will see that woman again and be able to help her. I wish I had met someone like you when I first began this journey.

Welcome Jenn its always nice to hear from another sister to islam I too am a new convert of over a year. My husband is here and has done some teaching to me, but for the most part of it, I have been on my own, studying online, at the masjid, reading, and talking to other sisters. This is a good group of girls here, I've learned alot from all of them. If you have any questions or need an special answer to anythnig here is the place to ask! Incha allah you fiance will be here with you soon and help teach you more.

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

Timeline

Post coming soon on the month of Rabi al-Awwal and our beloved Prophet (saws), but until then, check this out:

22447_307645082166_307641152166_394.jpg

irhal.jpg

hehe I don't have anything to say BUT I did like those stylish hijabs :P I hope everybody is doing well ensha'allah

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Timeline

The price of the celebrate mercy event has gone down to $5! It's a steal to be able to hear so many awesome speakers and come together with muslims from all over the world to celebrate our Prophet (saws).

3.jpg

irhal.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.