nunyab

Muslims

2,650 posts in this topic

During Hajj, both are together. When they circle the kabbah, they are side by side.

I didn't realize that. I guess I assumed that when I read men and women pray together in Mecca, that it meant there was no physical barrier between the two. Very intersting!

OOPS! I guess I misread your answer when I posted :blush:

I know there is no segregation when performing the circles around the Kaaba, but I meant segregation during salat in Mecca? When I read men and women pray together during hajj, does it mean they are side by side side or more traditionally men in the front and women behind?

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

OK, I know about the original political split of Shia and Sunni, but I had an additional question about ahadeeth and Shia which can totally be answered in non-inflamitory way so I thought I'd ask. Sunnis follow the ahadeeth which are proven/thought to have strong chains of evidence by Sunni scholars. Do Shia follow ahadeeth, or does that vary from person to person, mosque to mosque, area, or none do it? And if they do, I would guess they have their own scholars and what they consider to be strong evidence or not? Or does everyone more or less agree on ahadeeth and varying validities? (I figured this was barely more than a yes/no question or multiple choice to the different parts so it's not something for debate). I've never really gotten much of a straight answer on this and I figure there must be a straight answer, even if it is "it varies."

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline
OK, I know about the original political split of Shia and Sunni, but I had an additional question about ahadeeth and Shia which can totally be answered in non-inflamitory way so I thought I'd ask. Sunnis follow the ahadeeth which are proven/thought to have strong chains of evidence by Sunni scholars. Do Shia follow ahadeeth, or does that vary from person to person, mosque to mosque, area, or none do it? And if they do, I would guess they have their own scholars and what they consider to be strong evidence or not? Or does everyone more or less agree on ahadeeth and varying validities? (I figured this was barely more than a yes/no question or multiple choice to the different parts so it's not something for debate). I've never really gotten much of a straight answer on this and I figure there must be a straight answer, even if it is "it varies."

I found this link and it answered a lot of questions about things like that:

http://www.islamfortoday.com/shia.htm

Here are a couple key points:

Theological Differences and Attempts at promoting Unity

The line of Mohammed (pbuh) through Ali and Hussein became extinct in 873CE when the last Shia Imam, Muhammad al-Mahdi, who had no brothers disappeared within days of inheriting the title at the age of four. The Shias refused, however, to accept that he had died, preferring to believe that he was merely "hidden" and would return. When after several centuries this failed to happen, spiritual power passed to the ulema, a council of twelve scholars who elected a supreme Imam. The best known modern example of the Shia supreme Imam is the late Ayyatollah Khomeni, whose portrait hangs in many Shia homes. The Shia Imam has come to be imbued with Pope-like infallibility and the Shia religious hierarchy is not dissimilar in structure and religious power to that of the Catholic Church within Christianity. Sunni Islam, in contrast, more closely resembles the myriad independent churches of American Protestantism. Sunnis do not have a formal clergy, just scholars and jurists, who may offer non-binding opinions. Shias believe that their supreme Imam is a fully spiritual guide, inheriting some of Muhammad's inspiration ("light") . Their imams are believed to be inerrant interpreters of law and tradition. Shia theology is distinguished by its glorification of Ali. In Shia Islam there is a strong theme of martyrdom and suffering, focusing on deaths of Ali and, particularly, Hussein plus other important figures in the Shia succession. Shi`ism attracted other dissenting groups, especially representatives of older non-Arab (Mawali) civilizations (Persian, Indian, etc.) that felt they had not been treated fairly by the Arab Muslims.

Sunnis and Shias agree on the core fundamentals of Islam - the Five Pillars - and recognize each others as Muslims. In 1959 Sheikh Mahmood Shaltoot, Head of the School of Theology at Al Azhar university in Cairo, the most august seat of learning of Sunni Islam and the oldest university in the world, issued a fatwa (ruling) recognizing the legitimacy of the Jafari School of Law to which most Shias belong. As a point of interest, the Jafari School is named after its founder Imam Jafaf Sidiq who was a direct descendent through two different lines of the Sunni Caliph Abu Bakr. And Al Azhar University, though now Sunni, was actually founded by the Shia Fatimid dynasty in 969CE.

Practical Differences

On a practical daily level, Shias have a different call to prayer, they perform wudu and salat differently including placing the forehead onto a piece of hardened clay from Karbala, not directly onto the prayer mat when prostrating. They also tend to combine prayers, sometimes worshipping three times per day instead of five. The Shias also have some different ahadith and prefer those narrated by Ali and Fatima to those related by other companions of the Prophet (pbuh). Because of her opposition to Ali, those narrated by Aisha count among the least favored.

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
The Shias also have some different ahadith and prefer those narrated by Ali and Fatima to those related by other companions of the Prophet (pbuh). Because of her opposition to Ali, those narrated by Aisha count among the least favored. [/size][/font]

That about answers it, yep!

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

The Shias also have some different ahadith and prefer those narrated by Ali and Fatima to those related by other companions of the Prophet (pbuh). Because of her opposition to Ali, those narrated by Aisha count among the least favored. [/size][/font]

That about answers it, yep!

The further you move away historically from the first Caliphs after the deathf the prophet, the more the division seems to be. Amoung Shia'a there are divisions as well just as there are divisions among Sunnis.

Most Shia'a follow the Jafari school of lslamic law (as apposed to any of the major Sunni schools- Hanafi, maliki, ect) but over time tehre have been splits in the shia'a fiqh. This is where you find Ismailis for example.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yeah that's what I was trying to get at.... :thumbs: you just said it way better than me lol :blush:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
has anyone lost the....ummmmm personal feeling in prayer? I feel like a robot these days?????

I go through phases. Sometimes I'm into every single action in salat and others I just struggle to get it done. Make dua that you will feel your prayer better. I'm sure there's a formal dua out there somewhere but I usually just make my own up in my own words.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Timeline

I've started reading the quran in Arabic. :dance: I still need the english translations, but I can now recite it directly from my husband's quran with a little bit of confidence :dance:

So much easier to memorize things when you can read it that way - I've finally memorized more than 3 suras :blush: You know the short ones at the back and al-fatiha :blush:

يَايُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُوا اسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَوةِ اِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّبِرِينَ

“O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient. (Al-Baqarah 2:153 )”

Timeline
I've started reading the quran in Arabic. :dance: I still need the english translations, but I can now recite it directly from my husband's quran with a little bit of confidence :dance:

So much easier to memorize things when you can read it that way - I've finally memorized more than 3 suras :blush: You know the short ones at the back and al-fatiha :blush:

They're probably the same three suras that I use in my salat! lol. Those are the only ones I know aside from Al Fatima.

I've been listening to THIS this morning but they're too short and it's a pain to have to keep clicking on the next one to listen to.

Timeline

They're probably the same three suras that I use in my salat! lol. Those are the only ones I know aside from Al Fatima.

I've been listening to THIS this morning but they're too short and it's a pain to have to keep clicking on the next one to listen to.

:yes: how to pray, al-fatiha, and these three suras are the first things taught to any new muslim. The three suras are the last in the quran and also the shortest with alot of repeating words.

I had to find a page of something in arabic to read aloud in front of the class for my arabic final this week, and the quran has everything vocalized (with the vowels on it) and most modern arabic doesn't. So I went to my husband's quran to see if it was doable for me - and yay :dance: very easy for me to recite :dance:

يَايُّهَا الَّذِينَ ءامَنُوا اسْتَعِينُوا بِالصَّبْرِ وَالصَّلَوةِ اِنَّ اللَّهَ مَعَ الصَّبِرِينَ

“O you who believe! seek assistance through patience and prayer; surely Allah is with the patient. (Al-Baqarah 2:153 )”

Timeline

:yes: how to pray, al-fatiha, and these three suras are the first things taught to any new muslim. The three suras are the last in the quran and also the shortest with alot of repeating words.

I had to find a page of something in arabic to read aloud in front of the class for my arabic final this week, and the quran has everything vocalized (with the vowels on it) and most modern arabic doesn't. So I went to my husband's quran to see if it was doable for me - and yay :dance: very easy for me to recite :dance:

Good for you! There was a seminar that I didn't go to last year that a few of the women in my group at the mosque went to and after just one night they were able to at least attempt to read it in Arabic and they did sooo good! Now I wish I had gone with them!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.