nunyab

Muslims

2,650 posts in this topic

Maliki is found predominately in Africa with the exception of Egypt, but also in some of the Gulf states on the Arab penisula.

Hanafi is found in Egypt, and most Muslim countries in Asia (Turkey, China, Indo-Pak Sub Continent etc)

Shafi'i is more often in far east like Indonesia, Malaysia but also in east Africa, Egypt and some parts of India

Hanbali is most concentrated in the Arabian penisula

Even within the regions where one school dominates, there are minority schools of fiqh too. These four are considered the four main school of law.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Just question to through out there....at mosques men and women pray separately....or at least men in front of the women. In Mecca, they pray side by side. I know there are millions there and it would be difficult to separate them. Anyone have any thoughts?

"Haters are confused admirers, they can’t be or figure you out so negativity comes out [their] mouth.”

-Chad Ochocinco "85" - WR Cincinnati Bengals

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Just question to through out there....at mosques men and women pray separately....or at least men in front of the women. In Mecca, they pray side by side. I know there are millions there and it would be difficult to separate them. Anyone have any thoughts?

I always thought that the women in Mecca had to pray separately. Actually I think there's been a big problem there in that there hasn't been enough room for the women or something so they had to even pray in a separate building.

Or I could be thinking of somewhere else but I swear I remember reading that last year somewhere.

At the mosque that I like it's an old church building and the women pray up in the choir area and the men pray down below. I love that because we get our own everything, even a children's room that is enclosed with a speaker in there so if you're with your child you can still hear the imam.

There's one in a city next to us where my husband goes just due to pure location that does not allow women!! Actually there's another one like that south of Boston too.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Do you mean segregated groups or literally side by side?

At one time some in Saudi Arabia suggested banning women from praying near teh kaa'ba altogether :blink:

erfoud44.jpg

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

During Hajj, both are together. When they circle the kabbah, they are side by side.

"Haters are confused admirers, they can’t be or figure you out so negativity comes out [their] mouth.”

-Chad Ochocinco "85" - WR Cincinnati Bengals

During Hajj, both are together. When they circle the kabbah, they are side by side.

I didn't realize that. I guess I assumed that when I read men and women pray together in Mecca, that it meant there was no physical barrier between the two. Very intersting!

erfoud44.jpg

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

Filed: Timeline

Attention cross-stitchers

I have brought out of the closet, my graphs for 4 small projects. One says "Allah" one is a mosque, one says Bismillah and the other is "Subhanallah'

I made 5 copies...and will start coloring them in. Whoever wants a set, pm me your address and I will send right away! These will also work on plastic canvas. Easier for kids and men to do ;) on plastic.

Any one or the set would make a great Eid gift! (or nice to display at your home too!)

Jackie

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline
Attention cross-stitchers

I have brought out of the closet, my graphs for 4 small projects. One says "Allah" one is a mosque, one says Bismillah and the other is "Subhanallah'

I made 5 copies...and will start coloring them in. Whoever wants a set, pm me your address and I will send right away! These will also work on plastic canvas. Easier for kids and men to do ;) on plastic.

Any one or the set would make a great Eid gift! (or nice to display at your home too!)

Jackie

Oh, that is so nice Jackie! I want one, but I will have to convince my husband it is okay to give you my address :( He constantly worries of the dangers of dealing with people over the internet. I managed to get the okay today to send Kathleen the baby shower gifts and he didn't fight it too much thank God (the return address will be on the box). I just have to space out these things so I don't overwhelm him, lol.

Also, in regards to the pics. I sent my husband's family pics of us in frames and they put them up in their living room on the tables. I feel bad though because they don't have any other pics since they had to leave a lot behind in Iraq. Thank God they enjoy them so much so it works out.

Edited by S and S

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yeah, I knew that too, it is just an infrastructure thing, too much chaos to even attempt to organize that aspect of it I guess. I don't like the whole women's balcony idea or whatever they do today in modern mosques, because that just gives the women license to talk during the khotba which makes me FURIOUS but I can't say anything about it because then my prayer will be invalid. I don't go to jumuah here in Morocco because they speak too fast. I do go when I'm in the States and if I keep having problems with the women who won't zip it, I'm going to request to the mosque director to let any women who want to, to be able to sit behind the men downstairs during the khotba to hear the imam. Let's see how that goes. :bonk: Then once the khotba's over I'll go run back to the women's section to hang out with the ladies lol.

02/08/2008 - sent I-130

02/11/2008 - I-130 received by USCIS

02/20/2008 - NOA sent

02/26/2008 - Touched!

06/18/2008 - I-130 Approved

07/02/2008 - DS 3032/AOS Bill sent to me

07/18/2008 - Sent payment of AOS Bill

.png

5360730_bodyshot_300x400.gif5482024_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Timeline

Hay April!!!! How's things going Guuuurrllll.. is your BIL still there??

I have a questons that I asked before but didn't see answered....

What is the difference between Shia and Sunna? I don't want to cause any arguements but just wondering

Rajaa

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline

What is the difference between Shia and Sunna? I don't want to cause any arguements but just wondering

Rajaa

There are a lot of differences. You can find a lot of information online. I'm not sure I want to get into it here.

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Timeline

Rajaa

There are a lot of differences. You can find a lot of information online. I'm not sure I want to get into it here.

I' have gone online but can't seem to find the stark contrasts all I know is everyone has strong feelings about the other and here i am wondering why... :unsure:

But thank you for responding

Rajaa

The basic difference is rooted in how should rule the muslim community after the death of the prophet. Sunnis accepted the elected leadership by the ummah and while Shia's followed the leadership through decendancy of the Prophet. since that "break" , sunni and shia islam has evolved under different leadership and legal schools.

Getting in to the particulars can be very complicated here :)

erfoud44.jpg

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.