86 posts in this topic

You guys [K3s] don't know how lucky you are if you end up with a CR instead of a K3. Sure wish we had after all the #######, cost, stress we went thru doing AOS.

Once CRs get thru NVC and the embassy interview they are done with USCIS for 2 years.

With the CR you get GC and SS card in the mail within a short time of arrival in the US.

Not having a SSN is almost as bad as not having GC.

When K3s arrive all hell breaks loose again. More paperwork. More money. More stress and normally another interview and even the possibility of facing deportation.

Some people take over a year to be approved for GC and sit in limbo waiting.

When we did the K3/K4 CRs were taking a LOT longer than the K/3.

We'd definitely have gone with the CR if the timeframe was what it is now!

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Just a thought. If the I-130 is approved before the I-129F, does that make it a CR-1?

It's kind of moot because the petitions are generally approved together, but yes, an I-130 petition getting through NVC to the Consulate abroad would result in an immigrant visa CR1 or IR1 whether approved first or second.

An I-129F for a spouse can only result in a K3 visa whether approved first or second.

Thanks, that is actually very helpful. So I guess wont worry about it at this point.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

The only part of the K3 that was faster was the NVC stage, that is where you would save those 2 months, but now with the online system up there is not a big difference. Before July both the I-129f and the I-130 would be approved at about the same time, you can ask your lawyer about it and I am sure he will tell you the same thing, I didnt use a lawyer for mine but i called a ton of them before i filed to get a good idea of what is what. If you are ready for the NVC part of things you could expect to be done with NVC in about a month. The only thing that stops me from being ready is my wifes police reports, in Brazil they are only good for 3 months and take 1 month to get. Since I am on month 6 of waiting I cant really say that I will be done with USCIS in the next 4 months. So I lose a month even when my petition is approved because I cant ask her to get her police reports now to have them ready because i fear that USCIS VSC is not making any progress. Ive pretty much given up on America though, my wife is getting ready to open her own Pharmacy and I agreed that it was a good idea so if she gets everything in order I will be moving there within the next 4 months or so.

i'm not sure if this varies from country to country, but in Dominican republic, even though the police reports say they're valid for only 3 months, for immigration purposes(sent to NVC), they're valid for 1 year. i'm pretty sure i need to take a second recent one with me to the interview, but the one i mail in could have been taken out anytime from a year ago to today. might wanna check up and see if thats the case for other countries as well. i thought it was 3 months only also cause i just sent my wife to get hers.

TIMELINE(CR1)

10-15-03 -- Met Future Wife

12-10-07 -- Married

-USCIS-

01-10-08 -- Mailed I-130 to VSC

01-14-08 -- NOA1 Received

02-11-08 -- NOA1 Notice Date

02-15-08 -- Received Hard Copy

02-24-08 -- Touch(Updated Into System)

08-22-08 -- Touch(Transferred to CSC)

08-25-08 -- Touch

08-27-08 -- Touch(Received at CSC)

08-28-08 -- Touch

08-29-08 -- Touch

09-16-08 -- NOA2

NVC(Using Loto's Guide)

09-23-08 - NVC Received File and NVC case number assigned.

09-25-08 - DS-3032 / I-864 Bill generated

09-25-08 - E-Mail DS-3032

10-03-08 - Pay I-864 Bill (Online)

10-04-08 - I-864 generated

10-06-08 - Overnight I-864

10-06-08 - IV Bill generated

10-06-08 - Pay IV Bill(Online)

10-07-00 - DS-230 generated

10-07-08 - Overnight DS-230

00-00-08- Case Completed at NVC

Consulate

Almost There!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
The only part of the K3 that was faster was the NVC stage, that is where you would save those 2 months, but now with the online system up there is not a big difference. Before July both the I-129f and the I-130 would be approved at about the same time, you can ask your lawyer about it and I am sure he will tell you the same thing, I didnt use a lawyer for mine but i called a ton of them before i filed to get a good idea of what is what. If you are ready for the NVC part of things you could expect to be done with NVC in about a month. The only thing that stops me from being ready is my wifes police reports, in Brazil they are only good for 3 months and take 1 month to get. Since I am on month 6 of waiting I cant really say that I will be done with USCIS in the next 4 months. So I lose a month even when my petition is approved because I cant ask her to get her police reports now to have them ready because i fear that USCIS VSC is not making any progress. Ive pretty much given up on America though, my wife is getting ready to open her own Pharmacy and I agreed that it was a good idea so if she gets everything in order I will be moving there within the next 4 months or so.

i'm not sure if this varies from country to country, but in Dominican republic, even though the police reports say they're valid for only 3 months, for immigration purposes(sent to NVC), they're valid for 1 year. i'm pretty sure i need to take a second recent one with me to the interview, but the one i mail in could have been taken out anytime from a year ago to today. might wanna check up and see if thats the case for other countries as well. i thought it was 3 months only also cause i just sent my wife to get hers.

A validity period assigned by the country issuing a police report has not meaning. The US Dept. of State is only concerned with the criminal status on the date of issue. They use their own standards for how recent the report needs to be.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

A validity period assigned by the country issuing a police report has not meaning. The US Dept. of State is only concerned with the criminal status on the date of issue. They use their own standards for how recent the report needs to be.

thats what i thought, so if the NVC told me one year, then its one year for all countries then, no? someone else might want to try calling and see if they get the same answer.

TIMELINE(CR1)

12-10-07 -- Married

-USCIS-

08-25-08 -- Touch

08-28-08 -- Touch

08-29-08 -- Touch

09-16-08 -- NOA2

NVC(Using Loto's Guide)

Consulate

Almost There!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

thats what i thought, so if the NVC told me one year, then its one year for all countries then, no? someone else might want to try calling and see if they get the same answer.

One year is the standard but a Consulate can set its own. The best practice is to obtain the police report as close to the interview date as is practical. We knew it would take three weeks, so ordered it shortly after returning the P3. The right timing will depend on how fast the Consulate is and how fast the report can be obtained.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello 000!

From what part of Brazil is your wife from? Pernambuco's police (one of the states where i lived, so I have to get the police reports) gives the reports in 2 days! Well, I was also surprised about it because I was expecting a lot more time to wait. But make sure you have the correct information. Anyway, I also have to check that information because I called them last week, but sometimes they give us the wrong info!

:angry:

I dont know about the federal police though. As far as I know, I have to get a separate report from federal and state police (where I lived for more than 6 months).

Well, that is... if you decide to go on on this awful journey...

Good luck!

Our Immigration Timeline:

Form I-130 sent to Chicago - 03/18/08 (Case in VSC)

NOA 1 - 03/26/08

Updates - 04/01/08; 06/16/08; 06/17/08

NOA 2 - 01/23/09

NVC received papers - 01/30/09

NVC generated DS 3032 and AOS bill - 02/02/09

DS 3032 sent by e-mail and snail mail - 02/02/09

NVC replied my e-mail confirming my choice of agent - 02/06/09

AOS bill received - 02/07/09

AOS bill and IV bill paid online - 02/07/09

AOS and IV display the PAID message - 02/11/09

AOS and DS-230 packages sent - 02/11/09

NVC received packages - 02/13/09

NVC sent RFE (mistake on DS-230) - 02/20/09

Form DS-230 re-sent (as requested) - 02/26/09

CASE COMPLETE - 03/05/09

Interview date assigned - 03/10/09

Case forwarded to the embassy - 03/11/09

Medical Examination - 04/08/09

CR1 interview - 04/09/09 - VISA APPROVED!

Visa in hand - 04/??/09

POE - 04/??/09

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." 1 Corinthians 13:4-8

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

She lives in Para but needs to travel to TO, they told her the standard time is 30 days. They might be faster or slower but they told her 30 days :crying: It doesnt matter at this point, I doubt she will be here before 2009 anyway so im not going to try to rush things. VSC is setting a pace of atleast 10 months for the I 130 as it is now, so they are really 10-12 months just for the I 130. If i get approved in November which is 1 year from when I filed there is no way to have everything done before 2009, i will be lucky to be done with NVC in Jan of 2009.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
She lives in Para but needs to travel to TO, they told her the standard time is 30 days. They might be faster or slower but they told her 30 days :crying: It doesnt matter at this point, I doubt she will be here before 2009 anyway so im not going to try to rush things. VSC is setting a pace of atleast 10 months for the I 130 as it is now, so they are really 10-12 months just for the I 130. If i get approved in November which is 1 year from when I filed there is no way to have everything done before 2009, i will be lucky to be done with NVC in Jan of 2009.

Well, I hope you don't have to wait that long! It's like torture! good luck!

Our Immigration Timeline:

Form I-130 sent to Chicago - 03/18/08 (Case in VSC)

NOA 1 - 03/26/08

Updates - 04/01/08; 06/16/08; 06/17/08

NOA 2 - 01/23/09

NVC received papers - 01/30/09

NVC generated DS 3032 and AOS bill - 02/02/09

DS 3032 sent by e-mail and snail mail - 02/02/09

NVC replied my e-mail confirming my choice of agent - 02/06/09

AOS bill received - 02/07/09

AOS bill and IV bill paid online - 02/07/09

AOS and IV display the PAID message - 02/11/09

AOS and DS-230 packages sent - 02/11/09

NVC received packages - 02/13/09

NVC sent RFE (mistake on DS-230) - 02/20/09

Form DS-230 re-sent (as requested) - 02/26/09

CASE COMPLETE - 03/05/09

Interview date assigned - 03/10/09

Case forwarded to the embassy - 03/11/09

Medical Examination - 04/08/09

CR1 interview - 04/09/09 - VISA APPROVED!

Visa in hand - 04/??/09

POE - 04/??/09

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." 1 Corinthians 13:4-8

its one year from the day you get it, so if she got it tomm, it'd be valid until 05-27-09. you'll definitely need it before then so might as well get it. you never know when you might get a surprise approval.

TIMELINE(CR1)

12-10-07 -- Married

-USCIS-

08-25-08 -- Touch

08-28-08 -- Touch

08-29-08 -- Touch

09-16-08 -- NOA2

NVC(Using Loto's Guide)

Consulate

Almost There!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

We will NOT be waiting that long. I speak it now. We WILL NOT.

I LOVE MY HUSBAND!!!!!!!!!!!

10-29-07 Overnighted I-130 to VSC

10-30-07 I-1-30 Received

1-17-08 NOA-1

8-6-08 MOVED TO CSC

8-20-08 Approved!

8-25-08 Received at NVC

8-28-08 DS-3032 emailed

9-5-08 Paid AOS bill online

10-8-08 Paid IV bill online

10-17-08 RFE, DS230

10-28-08 CASE COMPLETE!

2-19-09 INTERVIEW 8:30am, APPROVED

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.