6 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Al shall be moving in Mid June to New York City,

we are planning a Civil wedding in one of the Courts in Queens and are not planning to hv a proper reception we plan a small get 2 gather with a few family members at my place since Al will not be wrkng till he gets his EAD, and we are planning to apply for our AOS as soon as we get our marriage cert. from the court so that should be within 7 days of our marriage..and then we would go for our lovely honeymoon...

bcos Al's family is back in India they wont be here for the marriage

Now is all this reqd for the AOS do they ask like why didnt you do a church ceremony and booked a hotel or banquet hall for the reception.. I wrked out only on the reception cost it is more 15k minimum.. with few people and we dont hv tht kind of money to spend??

So is it problem with the AOS?? and do they need all this at the intereview or do we need these things when we apply?? so any suggestions are welcome

Thanks

Priya

PARENTS JOURNEY

Dec 10 - sent I130 for Mom & Dad

Jan- Recd NOA1

Feb- Recd RFE for missing BC

Mar- Recd RFE for missing BC

Apr- NOA2 Case approved

May- NVC case #

May- paid $88 AOS FEE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

No, the most important thing for USCIS is that you are legally married - whether it is by a JP, a Minister or whatever. Many VJers have not had a big wedding nor a big reception. Since neither my husband and I are religious we chose to get married by a judge in the heritage gardens at an historic site then we all went to a local tearoom afterwards for refreshments. We had a very small ceremony with my father and a few friends only attending (my husbands parents were too infirm to travel) - and it was a wonderful event. We both felt that it was more important for us to focus on the marriage rather than the wedding, and so we did - and are:-) with no regrets. I hope you have a wonderful wedding - and a great marriage.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
Hi All,

Al shall be moving in Mid June to New York City,

we are planning a Civil wedding in one of the Courts in Queens and are not planning to hv a proper reception we plan a small get 2 gather with a few family members at my place since Al will not be wrkng till he gets his EAD, and we are planning to apply for our AOS as soon as we get our marriage cert. from the court so that should be within 7 days of our marriage..and then we would go for our lovely honeymoon...

bcos Al's family is back in India they wont be here for the marriage

Now is all this reqd for the AOS do they ask like why didnt you do a church ceremony and booked a hotel or banquet hall for the reception.. I wrked out only on the reception cost it is more 15k minimum.. with few people and we dont hv tht kind of money to spend??

So is it problem with the AOS?? and do they need all this at the intereview or do we need these things when we apply?? so any suggestions are welcome

Thanks

Priya

Priya,

We are in the same boat here... we just did a court marriage back in December with my parents and a few relatives present and filed for AOS... we didn't do a religous ceremoney because a) out of cash since I had to go to India to sort out the ####### at delhi embassy, B) there are no temples here, c) the nearest temple is about 300 miles away in seattle and requires advanced "booking", d) not a lot of friends relatives wanted to come to our town or seattle in that weather especially at a short notice like that.

We did have a reception (booked a banquet hall and such) in April since the weather was good and most friends relatives were able to come...

We didn't have a fancy honeymoon as far as going somewhere nice and stuff becaus of [see above - a) out of cash...]. So not sure how thats going to work. We are however planning eventually since wife just got her EAD hopefully soon she'll find a job and we can save up for one.

So for AOS we are going to take about 500 photographs of us (Traveling together, at local parties, court marriage, reception and pictures of our religious engagement "shagun" in India)

Then we have a few bank statements of joint checking/savings, joint visa credit card statements, joint cable bill, library card, car insurance documents on both names, junk mail with my wife's name, letters from medical association etc.

We have no health insurance because I lost my job when I went to India to sort out things there... and just got a new job... (We have cosponsors for support), have no rent/lease since we live at my parents house... so hopefully the limited documents we have are enough for our AOS next tuesday (16th)

Edited by planeobsessed

AOS

2006-02-xx - AOS Packet Sent

2006-02-15 - NOA1 Received

2006-03-11 - Biometrics Appointment Letter Rec'vd for (04/05/2006)

2006-04-05 - Biometrics Done for both EAD+AOS

2006-04-05 - Another Biometrics Appointment Letter Rec'vd :-0

2006-04-05 - AOS + EAD Touched

2006-04-06 - AOS + EAD Touched

2006-04-14 - Interview Letter Received (5/16/06)

2006-04-28 - EAD approval e-mail (whopping 18 days before AOS interview)

2006-05-03 - ANOTHER EAD approval e-mail!

2006-05-03 - Received EAD card in mail! - this is getting really really weeeiiirrdd!!!

2006-05-16 - AOS Interview went pretty smooth IMO. Hopefully will see GC soon.

2006-05-16 - Touched (Still no change from original AOS receipt status)

2006-05-19 - Received WELCOME LETTER in mail. (No change in online status)

2006-05-23 - "Approved and Card Ordered" - E-mail received and online status changed.

2006-05-25 - "Approval Letter Sent" - E-mail received and online status changed.

2006-05-26 - Received GREEN CARD in mail.

There is NO Substitute for Common Sense, especially not a Lawyer.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

A "fancy" wedding is not necessary for the AOS process, so you don't have to worry at all. All they want to see is your marriage certificate, and proof that you are a bona fide married couple.

Good luck.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

We just as many others on VJ have gotten married in a court (minimum cost) and many opt for a bigger wedding with family etc. later (after Green card is received and they can travel freely.) So, don't worry about the size or format of the wedding - you just need a certificate to show you are married. I would suggest - save the money and take a few trips (or give them to my friends in Vegas :lol:) Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline

For time, religious and financial reasons, we got married at city hall with only one friend in attendance - not even our parents! Both sets of parents live several thousand miles away, and since we were just having a small, non-religious ceremony - with plans to have a big religious ceremony later, when we can afford to get everyone together - it was not really worth it for them to come.

I, too, am hoping this is okay. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out

4.21.06 - Married!

5.2.06 - Mailed AOS and EAD to Chicago

5.4.06 - Application arrives in lockbox

5.9.06 - NOA 1 for AOS and EAD

5.11.06 - NOA 1 rec'd!

5.17.06 - Touched (AOS, EAD)

5.19.06 - Touched (AOS, EAD)

5.20.06 - Biometrics notice for AOS and EAD

5.30.06 - Biometrics!

6.1.06 - Touched (AOS)

6.3.06 - Touched (AOS, EAD)

6.26.06 - Interview notice!!! (Aug. 9 at 10 a.m.)

7.6.06 - Touched (EAD)

7.8.06 - Touched (EAD)

7.10.06 - Touched (EAD)

7.11.06 - EAD approval notice!!!

7.15.06 - EAD card rec'd!

8.9.06 - Interview - APPROVED!!!

sawavingflag.gifuswavingflag.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.