VisaJourneyLady

Yes!! It's another shipping thread

170 posts in this topic

LMAO Oh dear - at least he has a sense of humour!! And you'll be able to domesticate soon too!!!

Now I want Jeremy here so we can drive down to Santa Ana... I don't fancy buying a car in the dark and he has to find his registered keeper's certificate thing and change his brakes... :unsure:

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yay for Mavens furniture arriving!! We don't have any, so I think we're going to be improvising for a while, till we get jobs.

To answer the question above, we were also quoted 8-12 weeks from door in London, to port in LA. We've got a few weeks to go till we hit 8 weeks, so I'll update here when they arrive :star:

The UK Wiki

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Glyn is convinced hurricane Bertha wiped out the ship and that we just haven't been told yet. LOL....I think he has an over active imagination.

Just a thought, if you know the name of the ship do a google search on it.

I did when our stuff was shipped over. The ships name threw up a tracking site and I could see where it was each day as it crossed the Atlantic, sailed down the east coast and threw the Panama Canal. (Not much to do each day when you don't have a job)

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Filed: Timeline
Yay for Mavens furniture arriving!! We don't have any, so I think we're going to be improvising for a while, till we get jobs.

To answer the question above, we were also quoted 8-12 weeks from door in London, to port in LA. We've got a few weeks to go till we hit 8 weeks, so I'll update here when they arrive :star:

POiteen -

Where are you staying when you get here???

Yeah, where? We are trying to get the social occasion of the summer -- your arrival -- organised.

Ooooh, and I have a prezzie for you, Poiteen. I accidentally ordered two copies of a book -- "The Newcomer's Guide to LA." It's very useful and I've used it quite a bit already. Since I have a mint one on hand, would you like it?

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I'm sorry that this whole post is going to be OT, but I promise to do a wiki entry in the future to make up for my crimes :star:

We got a very cheap hotel just off Santa Monica beach. It was advertised on Westside rentals, so we'll see. We've only booked it for a week. I think of it as a good way to be by the beach at least for a week of our time in LA, and also to demonstrate to C what the commuting would be like.

Thanks for the offer Maven, sounds great, I'd love it. We splashed out on getting iphones, so hopefully that should help us to get around and find places to live etc more quickly. I've been reading VJ on it, which makes me happy.

We're arriving on the 6th, I got a small conference thingy on the 8th and 9th (Friday and Saturday) but after that I got no plans. So organise away, I can't wait.

Aly - any chance of you coming over to the meetup? Got you're new car yet? Or maybe we could do an excursion to Palm Springs later? Can't wait to see you both again, and also meet up with those I haven't met already.

:star: :star: :star: :star:

The UK Wiki

Filed: Timeline
We got a very cheap hotel just off Santa Monica beach. It was advertised on Westside rentals, so we'll see. We've only booked it for a week. I think of it as a good way to be by the beach at least for a week of our time in LA, and also to demonstrate to C what the commuting would be like.

:dancing:

On me & Robin's side of town!!!

Glyn is convinced hurricane Bertha wiped out the ship and that we just haven't been told yet. LOL....I think he has an over active imagination.

Just a thought, if you know the name of the ship do a google search on it.

I did when our stuff was shipped over. The ships name threw up a tracking site and I could see where it was each day as it crossed the Atlantic, sailed down the east coast and threw the Panama Canal. (Not much to do each day when you don't have a job)

Hmmm - would be great to do that! I'm a sucker for torturing myself like that!!! Maybe I will e-mail Pickfords and see if they can tell me :D

Aly - any chance of you coming over to the meetup? Got you're new car yet? Or maybe we could do an excursion to Palm Springs later? Can't wait to see you both again, and also meet up with those I haven't met already.

:star: :star: :star: :star:

Ha! New car... well we got to Yucaipa and spent 90 minutes looking for Jeremy's registration certificate thing for his van and couldn't find it so we came home again. I had an awful day yesterday and today I am poorly so I am generally quite grumpy. I just want to eat ice cream :(

We're in AZ on the 7th-11th (4 nights) doing our legal wedding thing but if like the following week has something planned then we may be able to do something, depending on budget - we have so little money right now it is insane :( But if you keep me posted on the details then we might be able to work something out :) Maybe we should continue the plans in the OT thread though :lol:

Oh - we could ship me to LA - ok back on topic now :rofl:

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Just a quickie! :whistle:

I used Allfreight to ship my gear over.

It took less than two weeks and everything got here in one piece. :dance:

Only took us around and hour and a half to wait for it to be cleared through customs. I'm sure they had a good laugh when they saw the amount of shoes I had shipped over. :blush:

So I'm more than happy with the service I received!

:thumbs:

Our things have finally made it to port...now we just have to wait for them to clear customs. It will be 7 weeks on Friday that our things were picked up. :wacko:

10/26/03 Met in Yahoo chat room
06-2004 Glyn flies to Boston for 2 week holiday with me in White Mountains
06/07/2006- HE PROPOSES!!
12/13/2006- Glyn and Simon the best man fly in for wedding.
December 16,2006- Happiest day of my life
12/25/2006- Best and worst Christmas ever. Glyn flies back to England at 6 pm Christmas Night.
02/19/2007- UK spousal visa approved in NY after only 4 days.
March 2,2007- Reunited in England with Glyn.
01/21/2008-mailed I-130 to USCIS in London
01/24/2008-NOA1
04/13/2008-Panic. RFE received
April 17, 2008-Mailed off again.
April 22, 2008-NOA2 received dated April 21, 2008.
April 26, 2008-Packet 3 received
April 28, 2008-Mailed off DS-230
May06,2008-Packet 3 sent
May 08, 2008-Medical scheduled
May 22,2008-Packet 4 received
June 03,2008-Interview APPROVED!!!!!

June 04, 2008-Visa in hand
June 20, 2008-Shippers come for our things.
June 25, 2008-Flying to the USA
November 15, 2010-Sent off VERY late I-751 along with many prayers.
04/09/2011-10 year GC arrives in mail.
09/08/2011-Glyn leaves for UK
01/30/2012-Biometrics for UK spousal & dependent visas sent out w/ application same day
02/24/2012-UK settlement visas issued

04/16/2013-I-130 sent off-----04/19/2013 NOA1

05/15/2013-NOA2

Never received packet 3 although it was mailed to us on May 29th

07/17/2013-Sent off packet 3 after finally getting ALL our documents together

08/19/2013-Medical scheduled (there were earlier appointments but unfortunately, we couldn't get there for them due to hubby's work)

09/24/2013-Interview APPROVED

11/01/2013-POE BOSTON

01/13/2014-10 Year green card received

03/09/2019- Sent I-130 to Chicago lock box for step-son

03/20/2019- NOA 1

08/10/2019-NOA 2

Timeline

Seven seas does look good - a good clear website is a new thing to me !

I only brought 4 suitcases in 2 trips and threw everything except photos

I worked on starting a new life with new stuff - it's amazing all that keeping stuff that I didn't need to do

Stuff in the US is dirt cheap anyway (It's embarrassingly cheap ) so now I have all new

I am working on returning for a week every 4 months as my sis/mother are 'in care' and I will just take 1.5 empty suitcases each time and bring the photos back slowly..

Wish I had digitized them and thrown them away ! Think I will digitize them when i get here so my mrs doesn't see em !

£125 for a tea chest door to door is good and struggling with extra suitcases in airports is awful - and renting a bigger car to get boxes in (and hoping they fit) just adds to the trauma

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Wales
Timeline

Yeah, Seven Seas have been pretty decent so far. Apparently, my guff is floating somewhere in the Atlantic at the moment, due for delivery in approx 3 weeks or less.

If I had to be pedantic, I'd moan about the insurance they offer, or, more specifically, how you set it up. When it said "list all the items" in the box for the full coverage (at 5% value of the box), I figured saying "dvds 50 quid, books 50 quid" etc would be sufficient. No, you need to itemise every dvd and book individually. Good grief. Couldn't be bothered, went with the cheaper insurance which lets you say "dvds, 50 quid".

K1:

(See timeline)

AOS:

(See timeline)

ROC:

11-8-10 - ROC file sent

11-10-10 - CSC received file

11-10-10 - NOA1 date

11-15-10 - Check cashed

12-11-10 - Received biometrics letter

12-22-10 - Biometrics appointment (have to reschedule)

1-12-11 - Biometrics appointment (rescheduled appointment)

3-3-11 - Approved!

• 3 weeks later...

Just in case anyone is still looking for shippers. DO NOT USE UPAKWESHIP! Our things are here in the States. Have been cleared out of customs for 2.5 weeks and nothing yet. We have received 1 phone call from Euro-USA...the actual registered name of upak...all other contact I have initiated. I have written back to the UK asking for help....no reply. We have been told to expect a phone call this morning(Tuesday)...it is now 7pm and nothing. We are still using the internet at the library as our pc is in South Carolina sitting in a truck. I cannot describe how angry I am. :angry: I just started my new job today and had to go and spend quite a bit of money as most of my "work" clothes have not yet arrived.

I am very unhappy as is Glyn. It is now about 11 weeks since our things shipped. I don't know who to turn to with this. Is there some place in the EU that handles these things? Do I have to suffer now as I am here even though the contract is from there? I am to the point that I am going to go out and purchase a laptop...I need a pc at home...this is ridiculous.

Sorry for the rant. I just really wanted to warn people away.

10/26/03 Met in Yahoo chat room
06-2004 Glyn flies to Boston for 2 week holiday with me in White Mountains
06/07/2006- HE PROPOSES!!
12/13/2006- Glyn and Simon the best man fly in for wedding.
December 16,2006- Happiest day of my life
12/25/2006- Best and worst Christmas ever. Glyn flies back to England at 6 pm Christmas Night.
02/19/2007- UK spousal visa approved in NY after only 4 days.
March 2,2007- Reunited in England with Glyn.
01/21/2008-mailed I-130 to USCIS in London
01/24/2008-NOA1
04/13/2008-Panic. RFE received
April 17, 2008-Mailed off again.
April 22, 2008-NOA2 received dated April 21, 2008.
April 26, 2008-Packet 3 received
April 28, 2008-Mailed off DS-230
May06,2008-Packet 3 sent
May 08, 2008-Medical scheduled
May 22,2008-Packet 4 received
June 03,2008-Interview APPROVED!!!!!

June 04, 2008-Visa in hand
June 20, 2008-Shippers come for our things.
June 25, 2008-Flying to the USA
November 15, 2010-Sent off VERY late I-751 along with many prayers.
04/09/2011-10 year GC arrives in mail.
09/08/2011-Glyn leaves for UK
01/30/2012-Biometrics for UK spousal & dependent visas sent out w/ application same day
02/24/2012-UK settlement visas issued

04/16/2013-I-130 sent off-----04/19/2013 NOA1

05/15/2013-NOA2

Never received packet 3 although it was mailed to us on May 29th

07/17/2013-Sent off packet 3 after finally getting ALL our documents together

08/19/2013-Medical scheduled (there were earlier appointments but unfortunately, we couldn't get there for them due to hubby's work)

09/24/2013-Interview APPROVED

11/01/2013-POE BOSTON

01/13/2014-10 Year green card received

03/09/2019- Sent I-130 to Chicago lock box for step-son

03/20/2019- NOA 1

08/10/2019-NOA 2

Timeline

Thats awful and you have my sympathy - i used to take my desktop pc and screen in my hold luggage on the plane - poor mans laptop !

You dont realise how much you need a computer til you dont have one...

I have found an ace company for internal US moves - united van lines - absolutely wonderful --but I have no experience on international shipping

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

Oh that sounds dreadful :( Mine has taken about seven weeks or something so far - I did e-mail them to ask if they had the ship details but nothing - I figured that I have up to another month to wait anyway :) That was with Pickfords :)

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.