Scott y Kemerlita

What name should i use to file the forms after married?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Hello VJs... I will get married next Sunday and we r planing to fill the forms for Adjusting of Status after that..... what name should i use? the new married name or just keep the old one that i used for my K1 process? :unsure:

thanks!!!

Kemerly

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you plan on getting your SSN and driver's license or state ID in your married name, use your married name on the immigration forms.

If you plan on keeping your maiden name, use your maiden name.

Whatever you choose, just be consistent.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You are talking about AOS, and question should be in the AOS Green-card forum.

You use the name that you want on Green-card and/or EAD card. If you want married name the use married name on the I-485, and I-765. There are boxes on the forms for "Other names used" and "Name on I-94" that is here you put your maiden mane.

If you get green-card in maiden name and decide to later change it you will file I-90 and pay a FEE, over $300.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

You use the name that you want on Green-card and/or EAD card. If you want married name the use married name on the I-485, and I-765. There are boxes on the forms for "Other names used" and "Name on I-94" that is here you put your maiden mane.

If you get green-card in maiden name and decide to later change it you will file I-90 and pay a FEE, over $300.

I would use the name you intend to use going forward. If you use a new name, you'll find future international travel far more convenient if you also have the name changed on your passport.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
Hello VJs... I will get married next Sunday and we r planing to fill the forms for Adjusting of Status after that..... what name should i use? the new married name or just keep the old one that i used for my K1 process? :unsure:

thanks!!!

Kemerly

OMG, May 25th, last year I got married on a same date, I want to wish you the best on your wedding day and you visa journey later on. :thumbs::dance:

I would use the name you intend to use going forward. If you use a new name, you'll find future international travel far more convenient if you also have the name changed on your passport.

In the case of Colombia, I've been told that it is a pain in the neck to change one's name. So if I let my fiancee keep her maiden name for everything, at least all her documents will be consistent with her name in her passport, but at this point I don't know what's the best way to go. Any more comments regarding this issue? Thanks.

Pat's Husband

K-1 visa

Bogotá, Colombia

Interview Date :............2008-05-15, VISA APPROVED

Visa Received :.............2008-05-20

U.S.A.

POE Date :..................2008-08-30 Saturday, Miami FL (awful - more than 5 hours)

Wedding Date : .............2008-09-11 Thursday

AOS:

Interview Appt:.............2009-02-05

GC approved:................2009-02-05

GC arrived:.................2009-02-17 (END)

GC expires:.................2011-02-05**

Removing of conditions (ROC):

ROC will be filed with:.....CSC

ROC filing date:............2010-11-13 (ACTUAL SENDING DATE, SATURDAY)

ROC filing received by CSC..2010-11-15 (CONFIRMED VIA EMAIL)

ROC check cashed by CSC.....2010-11-17

ROC NOA date received:......2010-11-20

ROC NOA date printed:.......2010-11-15

ROC RFE dates(if any):......(none so far)

ROC Bio Appt Date(if any):..2010-12-22

ROC Interview Date(if any):.None

ROC GC approved Date:.......2011-02-16

ROC GC received Date:.......2011-02-22 (END)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there, another name change question I hope someone can help answer.

It seems I can just go ahead and write in my newly combined family name in the "Family Name" sections of the I-485, G-325A, I-765, and I-131 -- as long as I put my maiden name in the "Other Names Used" boxes on the respective forms. Is this correct?

Is there an official form I fill in to send in along with the AOS packet notifying USCIS I would like any future paperwork to be in my married name? Or when they see the marriage certificate they will just see my husband's surname is now part of mine so they'll just assume my name change request is fine?

I got married in SFO and I mailed in my request for my certified marriage certificates today BUT I forgot if on the forms I wrote I would like to request the certificates in my new married name. Does anyone know?

Thank you so much!

Timeline

Since you are filling out the form in your married name, and putting your maiden name in the "other names used" block, they'll get the idea to issue your subsequent GC, EAD, etc in your married name. You don't have to fill out another form or letter telling them that you are now using your married name.

If you want to use your married name, use your married name. A woman does not have to change her name if she chooses not to, so if it is easier to stay with her maiden name, that's ok too. The key to all of this is to be consistent and make sure that whatever you decide to do, you keep it the same across the board.

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Since you are filling out the form in your married name, and putting your maiden name in the "other names used" block, they'll get the idea to issue your subsequent GC, EAD, etc in your married name. You don't have to fill out another form or letter telling them that you are now using your married name.

I'm so glad you wrote that. I didn't want to * assume * they would get the idea, but I guess that's how everyone does it. I thought there was a special change of name form to download and send in.

If you want to use your married name, use your married name. A woman does not have to change her name if she chooses not to, so if it is easier to stay with her maiden name, that's ok too. The key to all of this is to be consistent and make sure that whatever you decide to do, you keep it the same across the board.

I agree with this up until I had a discussion with some relatives. The fact that my man and I are different nationalities, different status in USA, different ethnicities, AND he works and I don't, it would be in our best interest to show outright in our IDs that we are related by marriage, and for the future when traveling with children, it'll just be less hassle if my surname reflects my husband's and kids.

Plus, I'm adding his to mine so I will have two surnames, so I still have my own name I couldn't imagine just deleting my own altogether or making it another middle name, yet I needed to change it.

I have a silly question: did any of you change your signature? Are we supposed to change our autographs to reflect the new name? I haven't developed a new signature because I figure I should keep my signatures consistent...Is there a protocol?

Timeline

B)-->

QUOTE(Team J and B @ May 21 2008, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a silly question: did any of you change your signature? Are we supposed to change our autographs to reflect the new name? I haven't developed a new signature because I figure I should keep my signatures consistent...Is there a protocol?

I changed my signature because my name is no longer Cheryl S--------, but Cheryl H------. In my mind, getting married and changing my name = new signature.

I sign my US Customs declaration forms as Cheryl (S------) H----- because my Cdn passport is still in my maiden name and my GC is in my married name, so I tie the two together -- I am not sure if this is an official thing to do, but I haven't had a problem doing that yet. I also sign employment application forms with both names in case they check my Canadian references who may forget my married name.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.