Melyssa

Question about baby's passport, etc.

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Not totally sure where to post this (feel free to move to the appropriate forum) but I am trying to find some information on a few things and I figure maybe you guys would know!

- What does a baby born to an American/Canadian couple living in the States have to have in order to cross the border into Canada? I'm assuming an American passport. If so then how does one go about applying for one for a baby, and about how long does it take, and how much does it cost?

- What should happen if the baby is born on Canadian soil? (Haha no, we're not planning on that, but just curious... since I suppose it could happen!) Would he/she be a dual citizen? What paperwork would have to be done? How would we get the baby back into the U.S.?

Thanks!

Edited by Melyssa

March 6, 2007 - I-129F package sent

March 21, 2007 - I-129F NOA2

October 17, 2007 - K1 interview - approved

October 19, 2007 - K1 arrived in mail

October 21, 2007 - US entry

October 23, 2007 - Wedding day

November 27, 2007 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

December 7, 2007 - Received all 3 NOA's for AOS, AP & EAD

December 10, 2007 - Received letter for biometrics appointment

January 2, 2008 - I-485 transferred to California

January 3, 2008 - Biometrics

January 16, 2008 - RFE for I-485

January 22, 2008 - RFE for I-485 arrived

January 23, 2008 - AP approved

January 25, 2008 - Case status finally updated: AP approved January 23!

January 31, 2008 - EAD card production ordered

February 2, 2008 - AP arrived in mail

February 5, 2008 - Sending a letter/RFE to CSC

February 5, 2008 - EAD card production ordered (again?!)

February 7, 2008 - RFE/letter arrived at CSC

February 7, 2008 - EAD approval sent

February 9, 2008 - EAD card received, dated January 23rd!

February 25, 2008 - CSC finally acknowledges receiving RFE

February 27, 2008 - I-485 APPROVED!

February 27, 2008 - Online case status: notice mailed welcoming new permanent resident.

March 3, 2008 - Received welcome letter

March 3, 2008 - I-485 approval letter sent

March 6, 2008 - Green card arrived in mail.

November 2009 - Removal of conditions...

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

I can only speak from my experience. Baby was born to a German citizen (me) and an USC (my husband). We applied for the US Passport first. Check out www.usps.com http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/79955.pdf about a list of what documents you need. The total cost ist around 85 Dollars. We had the passport within two weeks.

Then check the site where you get a Canadian Passport from (don't know anything about it, sorry) and see if you can apply for a passport with a US birth certificate. It is possible when you apply for a German passport but - like I said - I don't know the rules for Canada.

Good luck and congratulations on your pregnancy.

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

03/19/2008 - package sent to TSC, let's hope for the best

03/20/2008 - check cashed

03/26/2008 - case sent to Vermont Service Center

04/17/2008 - Biometrics scheduled

05/19/2008 - received I551 extension stamp via INFOPASS

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

02/21/2009 - GC received...no mistakes...valid until 2019

Not totally sure where to post this (feel free to move to the appropriate forum) but I am trying to find some information on a few things and I figure maybe you guys would know!

- What does a baby born to an American/Canadian couple living in the States have to have in order to cross the border into Canada? I'm assuming an American passport. If so then how does one go about applying for one for a baby, and about how long does it take, and how much does it cost?

- What should happen if the baby is born on Canadian soil? (Haha no, we're not planning on that, but just curious... since I suppose it could happen!) Would he/she be a dual citizen? What paperwork would have to be done? How would we get the baby back into the U.S.?

Thanks!

For a US passport, you both have to go into a major post office and submit the form with two passport size photos. Tip, take them yourself with a digital camera and print them in CVS for 69c instead of the $8 or so they charge for taking them there....The passport cost about $80 if I remember!

My baby's passport came back in two weeks.

In Canada, all you would need to do is the both of you to go into the US Embassy and register the baby as a US citizen. You could then apply for a US passport for the baby to come to the US.

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

08/14/2020 - Sent N-400 and I-912 waiver to TX lockbox

09/18/2020 - NOA via text

06/05/2021 - Notification of biometrics scheduled

09/17/2021 - Interview - decision cannot be made

11/24/2021 - Denial letter, 30 days to appeal

12/24/2021 - Appeal sent back with I-912 waiver

12/24/2021 - Motion to terminate deportation proceedings from 2013 filed

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline
For a US passport, you both have to go into a major post office and submit the form with two passport size photos. Tip, take them yourself with a digital camera and print them in CVS for 69c instead of the $8 or so they charge for taking them there....The passport cost about $80 if I remember!

My baby's passport came back in two weeks.

I second that. I took them myself and printed them on photo paper on our computer. They really looked 'home made' but were accepted without problems.

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

03/19/2008 - package sent to TSC, let's hope for the best

03/20/2008 - check cashed

03/26/2008 - case sent to Vermont Service Center

04/17/2008 - Biometrics scheduled

05/19/2008 - received I551 extension stamp via INFOPASS

02/12/2009 - APPROVED

02/21/2009 - GC received...no mistakes...valid until 2019

Timeline

Thanks for the tips! That's a relief to hear both of your baby's passports came in just 2 weeks! :)

March 6, 2007 - I-129F package sent

March 21, 2007 - I-129F NOA2

October 17, 2007 - K1 interview - approved

October 19, 2007 - K1 arrived in mail

October 21, 2007 - US entry

October 23, 2007 - Wedding day

November 27, 2007 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

December 7, 2007 - Received all 3 NOA's for AOS, AP & EAD

December 10, 2007 - Received letter for biometrics appointment

January 2, 2008 - I-485 transferred to California

January 3, 2008 - Biometrics

January 16, 2008 - RFE for I-485

January 22, 2008 - RFE for I-485 arrived

January 23, 2008 - AP approved

January 25, 2008 - Case status finally updated: AP approved January 23!

January 31, 2008 - EAD card production ordered

February 2, 2008 - AP arrived in mail

February 5, 2008 - Sending a letter/RFE to CSC

February 5, 2008 - EAD card production ordered (again?!)

February 7, 2008 - RFE/letter arrived at CSC

February 7, 2008 - EAD approval sent

February 9, 2008 - EAD card received, dated January 23rd!

February 25, 2008 - CSC finally acknowledges receiving RFE

February 27, 2008 - I-485 APPROVED!

February 27, 2008 - Online case status: notice mailed welcoming new permanent resident.

March 3, 2008 - Received welcome letter

March 3, 2008 - I-485 approval letter sent

March 6, 2008 - Green card arrived in mail.

November 2009 - Removal of conditions...

• 6 months later...
Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Good Day All

I will be visiting America carrying an eight month pregnancy. I would like to know the exact procedure for a foreigner (visitor) like myself to the US who wishes to get an American passport for my baby. I was told that different states have different procedures. Can anyone please advice me on which (if any)states have easier procedures? I will be arriving on a B1/B2 visa. Can anyone also advice me with regards to registering with a hospital and how much the costs would be for a "normal delivery" for my baby? Being a visitor, I do not have any medical insurance but I am willing to pay the costs myself.

Thanks

Timeline
Good Day All

I will be visiting America carrying an eight month pregnancy. I would like to know the exact procedure for a foreigner (visitor) like myself to the US who wishes to get an American passport for my baby. I was told that different states have different procedures. Can anyone please advice me on which (if any)states have easier procedures? I will be arriving on a B1/B2 visa. Can anyone also advice me with regards to registering with a hospital and how much the costs would be for a "normal delivery" for my baby? Being a visitor, I do not have any medical insurance but I am willing to pay the costs myself.

Thanks

Hm, I always thought that woman over 6 months pregnant were prohibited from flying, or is at least not reccomended. Maybe I'm wrong.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.