Wogan

Filing for Advance Parole before K-1 approved?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm about to start the K-1 visa process, with intentions to marry in spring next year. Unfortunately, another member of my family has planned their wedding for two months after mine. I hear the advance parole takes around 90 days to process, which means I'd miss their wedding. Is there any way to file for advance parole earlier, or is there anything else I can do?

You wouldn't be able to file for AP until you enter the US on your K1 and get married however as soon as you are married contact your local field office and they will be able to issue you with a letter that you can show at immigration when re-entering. Write a letter to them explaining your situation, where, why and how long you will be leaving the country if you know (you might want to make an info pass appointment at the time) and they should issue you with permission to do this. This will not effect your AP application which you should start as soon as you are able to do also. The process takes 90 days now but your guess is as good as anyones what the wait might be next spring! This is only an option too - they may refuse to grant you the permission. Other posters probably know more about it than I do.

Obviously you understand how important it is that you DO NOT EXIT the US until you either have a letter from USCIS allowing you to re-enter or your AP. You had better make sure your family are aware of this importance too in case things don't work out. I'm sure they will understand.

Good Luck with your journey!

Bex xxx

Edited by BexandAlan

I-129F

12.03.08 ~ NOA1

12.05.08 ~ NOA2

06.06.08 ~ Packet 3

18.06.08 ~ Packet 4

25.06.08 ~ Medical

11.07.08 ~ Interview - Approved!

22.07.08 ~ POE Atlanta

K1 = 3months, 29days

AOS

07.11.08 ~ NOA 1 - AOS, EAD, AP

24.11.08 ~ Transferred to CSC

28.11.08 ~ Biometrics

31.12.08 ~ EAD/AP Approved :)

23.03.09 ~ RFE

06.04.09 ~ RFE response delivered to CSC

22.04.09 ~ Card production ordered

01.05.09 ~ Conditional GC arrived in the mail

Permanent Residence = 5months, 15days

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You can do a court wedding a week after arriving, file for AOS and AP (and EAD) and then do the fancy wedding a little later - this will hopefully give you enough time to get the AP (sometimes it gets issued faster than 90 days). Make sure and find out if you need to get a SSN before the court wedding (some states require that). Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I'm about to start the K-1 visa process, with intentions to marry in spring next year. Unfortunately, another member of my family has planned their wedding for two months after mine. I hear the advance parole takes around 90 days to process, which means I'd miss their wedding. Is there any way to file for advance parole earlier, or is there anything else I can do?

You can make an infopass appointment and request "emergency" AP. From what I've seen your "emergency" qualifies. The problem is you'll pay the separate fee.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can make an infopass appointment and request "emergency" AP. From what I've seen your "emergency" qualifies. The problem is you'll pay the separate fee.

I have never seen a family wedding qualify as an "emergency".

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Emergencies for AP to leave and return are different that hardships that would expedite your visa process.

First visit:2007-09-12 to 2008-09-23

I-129F Sent : 2007-11-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-31

NVC Received : 2008-04-21

NVC Left : 2008-04-23

Consulate Received : 2008-04-28

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interivew date : 2008-08-07 CO asks inappropraite questions

His father died: 2008-08-18

Retain Marc Ellis 2008-09

Visited Nigeria again: 2008-11-12

petitioned returned to CSC :2008-11-27

returned to USA 2008-12-13

His father buried 2009-01-03

picks up K1 visa Nov 2009

Marriage Dec 2009

take throne as Igwe /Lolo 2010 or 2011

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I have never seen a family wedding qualify as an "emergency".

I've seen wanting to accompany a spouse on a business trip, get immediate AP. That's why I put "emergency" in quotation marks.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.