SunShineFL1210

Can one marry on K1 before going to the US?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello VJers!

My fiance wants to get married in the Philippines before flying out to the states and just register or have a court house wedding once we're in the US. He wants my family, friends and colleagues to attend coz that'll make me extremely happy :lol:

Anyway, can we do this? Will it not jeopardize my K1 visa? Anybody experienced getting married here before heading out to USA? Would love to hear your inputs, insights or opinions.

Thank you..

ApriL Dawn

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

The K-1 visa is a fiance visa.

If you get legally married before you enter the US, your fiance visa will then be null and void. You will then have to start all over again and have to apply for a spousal visa.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ethiopia
Timeline

You have a K1 visa, you can not marry before you enter the US. Seems the point is for your friends and family to celebrate with you...what about an engagement party or going away party to celebrate your journey to the US?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hello VJers!

My fiance wants to get married in the Philippines before flying out to the states and just register or have a court house wedding once we're in the US. He wants my family, friends and colleagues to attend coz that'll make me extremely happy :lol:

Anyway, can we do this? Will it not jeopardize my K1 visa? Anybody experienced getting married here before heading out to USA? Would love to hear your inputs, insights or opinions.

Thank you..

ApriL Dawn

Sounds that will make your situation complicated regarding "immigration stuff".

You have a K1 visa, you can not marry before you enter the US. Seems the point is for your friends and family to celebrate with you...what about an engagement party or going away party to celebrate your journey to the US?

That's what we did :thumbs:

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

I have (two) friends who got married in the PI before flying here in US and they didn't have any problems. The marriage was only for their relatives to see them get married and was not registered nor recorded under marriage indices. But I am not encouraging you to do the same.

So to answer your question, you can BUT, are you willing to risk and jeopardize everything? A formal engagement or a send off party sounds better to me.

--Mae

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I have (two) friends who got married in the PI before flying here in US and they didn't have any problems. The marriage was only for their relatives to see them get married and was not registered nor recorded under marriage indices. But I am not encouraging you to do the same.

So to answer your question, you can BUT, are you willing to risk and jeopardize everything? A formal engagement or a send off party sounds better to me.

--Mae

Of course your friends didnt have any problems. They didn't get caught! :whistle:

But imagine a consular officer at your POE who happen to notice a photo album in your bag and in that album are photos that looks like wedding photos. Imagine trying to explain to the officer that you got married but its not real or registered. Even worse, imagine explaining the marriage was real.

Going back to the original post, the OP asked if he can get married here in the PI. And the answer to that is no he cannot without technically voiding the fiance's approved visa. And if they fly to the US with the "voided" visa, that's immigration fraud.

I've seen this question many times here on VJ before. I'm on K1 but can I can I marry? The simple answer is basically no.

You can be on K1 or you can be on K3/CR1/IR1. You can be a fiance or you can be a spouse. You cant have both and you cant be either at the same time

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

--Mae

We had our formal engagement party last year. The reason why I asked is coz he was told by a immigration lawyer that it is ok for us to marry here after issuance of fiancee visa. I think that lawyer has no client/s! :lol:

Oh well, i guess he can marry me again here and celebrate with my relatives and friends after a year or two hehehe..

Thanks Mae. and thank you all who replied. :)

-ApriL

--Mae

Of course your friends didnt have any problems. They didn't get caught! :whistle:

But imagine a consular officer at your POE who happen to notice a photo album in your bag and in that album are photos that looks like wedding photos. Imagine trying to explain to the officer that you got married but its not real or registered. Even worse, imagine explaining the marriage was real.

Going back to the original post, the OP asked if he can get married here in the PI. And the answer to that is no he cannot without technically voiding the fiance's approved visa. And if they fly to the US with the "voided" visa, that's immigration fraud.

I've seen this question many times here on VJ before. I'm on K1 but can I can I marry? The simple answer is basically no.

You can be on K1 or you can be on K3/CR1/IR1. You can be a fiance or you can be a spouse. You cant have both and you cant be either at the same time

You may want to re-read my post. My friends are not the only one who did it and they did it because they were willing to take the risk. Having said that, I asked the OP if she is willing to take the risk and jeopardize the whole thing. And I also said that I am not encouraging her to do the same.

Geez...

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

NO! NO! and NO! then NO! again...

Please read the "Spouse and Fiance(e) of an American Citizen" from the Department of States (DOS) website [CLICK HERE]. When you are done with that please thoroughly read the Manila Embassy K1 Visa Guide.

Cheers!!!

Sheriff Uling

Edited by Sheriff Uling

[CLICK HERE] - MANILA EMBASSY K1 VISA GUIDE (Review Post #1)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ Acronyms and USCIS Form Definitions (A Handy Reference Tool)

Manila Embassy K1 Visa Information

4.2 National Visa Center (NVC) | (603) 334-0700 press 1, then 5....

4.3 Manila Embassy (Immigrant Visa Unit) | 011-632-301-2000 ext 5184 or dial 0

4.4 Department of State | (202) 663-1225, press 1, press 0,

4.5 Document Verification | CLICK HERE

4.6 Visa Interview Appointments website | CLICK HERE

4.7 St. Lukes | 011-63-2-521-0020

5.1 DELBROS website | CLICK HERE

6.2 CFO Guidance and Counseling Seminar | MANILA or CEBU

6.3 I-94 Arrival / Departure info | CLICK HERE

Adjustment of Status (AOS) Information

Please review the signature and story tab of my wife's profile, [Deputy Uling].

DISCLAIMER: Providing information does not constitute legal consul nor is intended as a substitute for legal representation.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

As long as people have to wait for the noa2.........and then get the k1 visa........i personally would never put that in jeopardy at all not for anything........its too long of a wait and way too much trouble to refile or get bared from the USA because when u came in they found pics of a wedding when coming on a k1 visa

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
You may want to re-read my post. My friends are not the only one who did it and they did it because they were willing to take the risk. Having said that, I asked the OP if she is willing to take the risk and jeopardize the whole thing. And I also said that I am not encouraging her to do the same.

Geez...

I've re-read your post and it still sounded like an oxymoron to me.

I know people who did it and they're ok but dont do it coz you might not be ok.

I just felt like you were encouraging and discouraging at the same time. Thats the only resaon I responded. Sorry if I offended you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.