chri'stina

Prince Caspian

75 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
so?? anyone see it??

I loved it. Absolutely loved it! What I loved more than the movie itself was watching my kids (9 and 16) watch it. To me this is just a childhood dream come true (yes, I know I sound like a nerd) because I spent HOURS reading all the books over and over and over and imagining the scenes. Of course there were parts to the movie that differed and bothered me a bit, but overall it was well done and true to the story, I think. But what was great was watching my daughter's eyes light up and seeing her get so into the movie. She read the first book (LWW) and started this one a few weeks ago but hasn't finished.

Even though Lewis was a theologian and a friend of Tolkein's and obviously writing these books with a meaning in mind, I don't see them as shoving Christianity down our throats. It's there if you look for it, sure, but I think it's cleverly done.

I can't wait for the next one :) And thank goodness this Lucy is better than the BBC one!!

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

We saw it yesterday. We have been looking forward to this for more than 2 years. Mahmoud and I absolutely loved the first film -- we saw it initially at the theater, and he has watched it over and over again on cable.

But I have to say-- we didn't think it was nearly as good as the first film. The animation and makeup effects didn't seem as spectacular, and the plot had some serious problems.

With that said, I think it's still worth the ticket (well.... if you go to the matinee.)

Now on to Indiana Jones !

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

I can't wait to see it. I loved THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE. Will be taking the little one to see it.

for anyone who is going to take their children to see it:

just be aware that there is a good bit of violence in this film... it is true to the book, not gratuitous... my daughter is 9 and has read the book, but was still having to bury her face under my arm because it scared her... that being said, she wouldnt have missed it for the world ;)

you dont really see much in the way of the gore, but just lots of battle scenes... it *is* about fighting to regain the throne for prince caspian and freedom for narnians

"True love is falling in love with your best friend,

and only then, will you find the meaning of happiness."

tony_1.gif

my daughter is reading up on c.s. lewis for a report...

i found this very interesting:

Lewis was strongly opposed to the creation of live-action versions of his works. His major concern was that the anthropomorphic animal characters "when taken out of narrative into actual visibility, always turn into buffoonery or nightmare". This was said in the context of the 1950s, when technology would not allow the special effects required to make a coherent, robust film version of Narnia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._S._Lewis

i read that lewis' stepson, douglas gresham, who also co-produces TLTWTW and Prince Caspian, agreed to let the films be made after he saw the CGI and knew that it would be done right

voyage of the dawn treader is in pre-production and is set for a release date of may 2010... they were supposed to start filming already, but accommodating the childrens' schedules and the writers strike have delayed it until october 2008... it also has a different director...

"True love is falling in love with your best friend,

and only then, will you find the meaning of happiness."

tony_1.gif

Timeline

Keltic, if you are interested in Lewis, may I suggest Shadowlands? It's about Lewis's marriage to Joy Gresham, her death, and how he dealt with it. It's very moving.

Also, slightly OT, but about 2 weeks ago my daughter (also 9) and I found the box set of the Chronicles from the 60s (remember the white box with the bright illustrations on the box and books?) in a Salvation Army store here in almost mint condition....for $1.49!!!!!! It's her most prized possession now. :)

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: Other Timeline
I can't wait to see it. I loved THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE. Will be taking the little one to see it.

for anyone who is going to take their children to see it:

just be aware that there is a good bit of violence in this film... it is true to the book, not gratuitous... my daughter is 9 and has read the book, but was still having to bury her face under my arm because it scared her... that being said, she wouldnt have missed it for the world ;)

you dont really see much in the way of the gore, but just lots of battle scenes... it *is* about fighting to regain the throne for prince caspian and freedom for narnians

Will keep that in mind. Thanks.

Life is so strange but it sure keeps you on your toes!!!

Timeline
we'll probably wait until it comes out to rent because we're not really that into the movies. we saw the first one and enjoyed it but wouldn't watch it more than once

That's how P feels. I think you need to have been a real fan of the books to really love the movies.

penguinpasscanada.jpg

Filed: Timeline
we'll probably wait until it comes out to rent because we're not really that into the movies. we saw the first one and enjoyed it but wouldn't watch it more than once

That's how P feels. I think you need to have been a real fan of the books to really love the movies.

I don't remember what the heck I read when I was little but those weren't books I was a fan of. I didn't like Lord of the Rings either!

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: Timeline

Prince Caspian Rules Box Office

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- "The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian" dethroned "Iron Man" as ruler at the box office, pulling down $56.6 million, according to studio estimates Sunday.

The Walt Disney Co.'s action sequel took in less domestically in its opening weekend than "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe," which sold $65.6 million in North America in its debut weekend in December 2005. "Caspian" also raked in $20.7 million overseas.

But Disney expects the PG-rated movie, based on the C.S. Lewis fantasy series, to ride high through the coming Memorial Day weekend. The first "Narnia" tale grossed $745 million worldwide over its theatrical run.

"This is a film that we think is going to play all summer long and it's got nothing but school holidays in front of it," said Mark Zoradi, president of the Walt Disney Studios Motion Picture Group.

Disney is in pre-production on the third of the series, "The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader," set for release in the summer of 2010.

Marvel Studios' "Iron Man" slipped to second place after two weeks at No. 1 with $31.2 million, bringing its domestic total to $222.5 million.

Paul Dergarabedian, president of tracking firm Media By Numbers LLC, said the flawed superhero flick is holding its appeal better than "Spider-Man 3" did the previous May.

"'Iron Man' continues to hold very well," he said. "It's definitely cutting into audiences across the board."

The 20th Century Fox comedy "What Happens in Vegas," starring Cameron Diaz and Ashton Kutcher, came in third, with $13.9 million in its second weekend. Its domestic total reached $40.3 million, well above its $35 million budget.

"It's clearly the comedy, non-family movie in the marketplace right now," said Chris Aronson, a Fox senior vice president.

Warner Bros.' disappointing "Speed Racer" slowed to $7.6 million for fourth place, driving in $29.8 million over two weeks.

The studio said it was not ready to call it game over on the Wachowski brothers movie, which cost $120 million to make.

Jeff Goldstein, Warner Bros.' executive vice president of distribution, said next weekend was "do or die" for the movie.

Overture Films' acclaimed drama, "The Visitor," crept into 10th place at the box office with $687,000.

The distributor picked up the indie film, about a professor who discovers a couple living in his little-used New York apartment, at the Toronto Film Festival for a reported $1 million. It has grossed $3.4 million so far.

"It's good to know that you don't have to have special effects in your movie to make money," said Overture Films' senior vice president Adam Keen.

"Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull," which received a somewhat ho-hum reaction at the Cannes Film Festival on Sunday, whips its way into theaters on Thursday.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/05/...e.ap/index.html

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I think it was down on what they were expecting for the opening weekend - I think there's a bit of oversaturation going on - too many of that kind of "epic" fantasy movie. Inevitable after LOTR - but surely there's only so many CGI pitched battles you can watch before the concept gets a bit old.

I'll probably watch it one day this week.

Looking forward to Indiana Jones - assuming George Lucas hasn't buggered it - the way he did the Star Wars movies.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Like others who said the books changed the way they felt about reading, it's true for me too. My aunt and cousin(the same age as me) are the ones who really introduced me to the books. My dad had read some of them and liked them, but he had kinda forgotten about it. I started reading them and it was so exciting for me. So they definitely have a warm place in my heart and I have read them over and over as well. I hope that Kavi will love them one day like I do. Sujeet isn't a big reader(he'd rather look through a techie book hehe), but he loved the first movie and I am sure he'll like this one too. I got one our nieces in India into the books though, and she read them all and loved them. He had brought it with him on one of his trips, the huge book that contained all 7 books in it.

keltic-I have been a huge fan of CS Lewis during my life hehe. I have 2 different biographies, some of his theological works, and I liked Shadowlands too. I can't get enough. I just really connect to the way he explains things whether fiction or religion. Have you read the space trilogy?

jundp-I bet it is so exciting to see your kids like something you have liked for a long time.

Anyone read any George MacDonald books? CS Lewis gives him some credit for feeding his imagination. Like Phantastes...I read it because CS Lewis said he loved it, but it was way over my head and mind boggling for me. Lilith was crazy too IMO. I did like the easier to understand, cute fantasy stories The Princess and the Goblin, and The Princess and Curdie(its sequel). I sent those over to India too. I wish I would have known about them as a kid. There are some really cute short stories too.

Edited by stina&suj

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord