UmmSqueakster

Learning bellydancing

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hey, I know we have some bellydancers out there (hi Noura :whistle: )

Husband and I went to a cultural festival yesterday and representing Egypt were some bellydancers. Granted, not a one of them were actually Egyptian, but they did some pretty spiffy cane dances and the like.

Now, this has inspired me to add some variety to my fitness routine. I thought maybe I could learn bellydancing. Husband seems to think that I should be able to just watch a video of some dancing and learn it that way. Buttttttttttt, I'm completely ungraceful and inept when it comes to dancing, so I thought maybe I could find a dvd or vhs that is good for someone who has two left feet. Taking a class is out, unless I find a studio that is women only, so I'm thinkin video is about my only option.

A few years ago, I think I did a Veena and Neena video from the library. I still sort of remember how to do the hip thingy, yaaay. Are they decent instructers? Maybe a video that both teaches something that could be used to seduce husband and that would provide a good workout?

Edited by rahma

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Lebanon
Timeline

I bellydance but its something that I grew up with ... when I was a little girl my mom used to tell me

"Noone will marry you if you dont dance and weddings and parties"

Well that gave me incentive to get and do it. Nobody ever taught me how. I got up at the parties and mimicked what everyone around me did. I cant imagine learning by : step 1, step 2.

I learned by "you wont get married if you dont throw yourself in there and start shaking it" :lol:

Just get up and try it .. it's not that hard.

Reunited and it feels so good ....

NOA #1 - March 23rd, 2004

Interview- May 18th, 2006 (Success !)

Arrived in the US - May 27, 2006 (our IR-1 visa journey was 2 years and 2 months long)

Wedding - June 17th, 2006

It's a Girl ! Baby Hana's expected due date - March 30th, 2007

591088.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
I bellydance but its something that I grew up with ... when I was a little girl my mom used to tell me

"Noone will marry you if you dont dance and weddings and parties"

Well that gave me incentive to get and do it. Nobody ever taught me how. I got up at the parties and mimicked what everyone around me did. I cant imagine learning by : step 1, step 2.

I learned by "you wont get married if you dont throw yourself in there and start shaking it" :lol:

Just get up and try it .. it's not that hard.

LMAO!!!!! It takes alot of those parties too! Its fun, I grew up around it too :yes: My parents never mentioned the marriage thing, but they always pushed me to get up and shake it :lol: I used to be really shy about it when I was young, but not now :P

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi gals! yes, I love dancing w/ the arab-americans.... so natural for them!!! Some of the "technique" can be difficult for "westerners" just cuz it's so different than how we grow up dancing. :blink::lol:

As for some good workout/bellydance videos, I suggest Suhaila's workout collection (bellydance fitness fusion) which you can find on amazon, ebay, etc.... her site is: www.suhaila.com and also Delilah's Absolute Beginning Bellydance (www.visionarydance.com). Veena & Neena are fun to watch and some of their stuff is good, but I find some of their technique "lacking" (shall we say) in proper form. Also, if you're into yoga, Rachel Brice's Yoga Bellydance Fusion (Tribal style) is excellent for flexibility and isolations.... the woman has no bones :no:

At http://www.bayoushimmy.com/Beginners_Page.html you will find some wonderful recommendations of music and videos (by me & my former dance partner), and here: http://www.bayoushimmy.com/NourasPage.html you will find *me* ;) w/ a brief bio and blah, blah, blah. Ok, when are we meeting for a group class? It's a lot of fun and a wonderful exercise! Let me know if/when you want more info!

Noura :luv:

Met briefly in Baton Rouge, LA Nov. 2003 - not available :(

Met again in Baton Rouge, LA March 25, 2005 - 2 souls feel as 1

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

Daily phonecalls, discover internet chatting w/ video cam - OMG!!!

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

April 24, 2006- mailed in K1 Visa package - TSC

Oct 5, 2006 - Interview SUCCESS

Oct 12, 2006 - Called to pick up visa tomorrow!

Oct. 16, 2006 VISA IN HAND!

Dec. 24, 2006 - Said arrives in NOLA, just in time for the holidaze!

Dec. 31, 2006 - OUR WEDDING!!! Ringing in a New Year as husband & wife!

Jan 8, 2007 - applied for SSN

Jan 15, 2007 - recieved SSN

Feb 6, 2007 - checks cashed for AOS/EAD/AP - YAY!

Feb 8, 2007 - NOA1 on AOS/EAD/AP

Feb 14, 07 - touched EAD/AP

March 8, 07 - Biometrics appt in NOLA

April 17, 07 - AP approved

April 19, 07 - EAD approved

glitter_maker_12_25_2006_00_00_12_97213.gif

Filed: Timeline

Noura, you look very much like Kirstie Alley in the middle picture. Abdel commented that in the bottom picture you are wearing Moroccan Traditional dance attire.

Thanks for the links. I need to learn to bellydance before I go back to Morocco so I won't be so embarrassed when his sisters try to teach me.

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

I used to belly dance 5 years ago... and for 4 years... I love it...:thumbs:

brazilCq14.gifLiszy & Kenny usaCa.gif

----~~~-----

12/26/06 Sent AOS to Chicago

04/16/07 Green Card approved w/o interview !! YYYAAAYY

----~~~-----

03/16/2009 - I-751 sent to VSC

03/17/2009 - VSC received

03/18/2009 - NOA 1

03/20/2009 - Check cashed

03/23/2009 - NOA 1 in mail

04/01/2009 - Biometrics letter

04/14/2009 - Biometrics

04/15/2009 - Touched

04/16/2009 - I guess I can lay down and sleep now ?

07/16/2009 - 3 months later...... nothing... oh well

07/21/2009 - Card production ordered w/o interview again :) !! woohooo

07/22/2009 - Touched

07/30/2009 - Card is here !

----~~~-----

01/23/2019 - I-90 sent online

01/28/2019 - Notice of receipt in the mail

02/01/2019 - Biometrics notice in the mail

02/15/2019 - Biometrics

02/21/2019 - Card being produced

02/23/2019 - Card received!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ok, now I'm kinda rested so I wanted to tell you abt our day... the festival was on! It was storming at the studio as we left, but it was not raining downtown, so off we went. We were a big hit (as always :D ) and it was a good time. After we packed up our equipment, we all went out for mexican food and mango margaritas! go figure :lol: . I'm axiously awaiting the dvd of our impromptu party from yesterday - our own little "Fest for Y'all"! :dance:

So, I hope everyone's day was nice.... it's Monday soon :help:

Noura

Met briefly in Baton Rouge, LA Nov. 2003 - not available :(

Met again in Baton Rouge, LA March 25, 2005 - 2 souls feel as 1

Sept 17-Oct 3, 2005 Noura goes to Morocco to meet family & friends of Said (informally engaged)

Daily phonecalls, discover internet chatting w/ video cam - OMG!!!

March 25-April 14, 2006 Noura's 2nd trip to Morocco - formal engagement w/ family

April 24, 2006- mailed in K1 Visa package - TSC

Oct 5, 2006 - Interview SUCCESS

Oct 12, 2006 - Called to pick up visa tomorrow!

Oct. 16, 2006 VISA IN HAND!

Dec. 24, 2006 - Said arrives in NOLA, just in time for the holidaze!

Dec. 31, 2006 - OUR WEDDING!!! Ringing in a New Year as husband & wife!

Jan 8, 2007 - applied for SSN

Jan 15, 2007 - recieved SSN

Feb 6, 2007 - checks cashed for AOS/EAD/AP - YAY!

Feb 8, 2007 - NOA1 on AOS/EAD/AP

Feb 14, 07 - touched EAD/AP

March 8, 07 - Biometrics appt in NOLA

April 17, 07 - AP approved

April 19, 07 - EAD approved

glitter_maker_12_25_2006_00_00_12_97213.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Korea
Timeline

I have a couple of bellydancing vhs tapes as well, they are pretty cool, fun moves, I like it too :dance:

1/12/06 Mail I-129f express mail

1/13/06 TSC rec'd

1/23/06 NOA1 from CSC

1/27/06 - Check cleared

7/10/06 - NOA2

7/14/06- rec'd @ NVC

8/14/06- NVC sent petition to Consulate

8/17/06 - Korean Consulate rec'd Petition

8/23/06 - rec'd packet 3 from Consulate

8/25/06 - sent packet 3 back to Consulate

8/27/06 - got confirmation email from Consulate, they rec'd packet three

8/27/06 - requested interview date via Consulate internet site.

9/1/06 - Checked internet site for interveiw date, it was there

9/25/06 - Interview date - APPROVED

9/28/06 - Visa in Zaeems Hand - YEAHHHHH

1/6/07 - leaving for USA

1/20/07 - Wedding Date

1/20/07 - MARRIED!!!!!

2/10/07 - rec'd certified copy of marriage license

AOS

3/13/07 - AOS package rec'd at Chicago Lockbox

3/20/07 - Rec'd Social Security Card

3/21/07 - Checks Cashed and Case Status online

3/24/07 - NOA1 Rec'd for AOS and EAD

3/27/07 - rec'd Biometrics appt letter - scheduled for 4/20/07 @ 11:00am

4/02/07 - "touched"

4/20/07 - had biometrics appt.

4/21/07 - rec'd letter stating case was transferred to CSC

5/22/07 - rec'd Case Pending at CSC email

6/25/07 - EAD card production ordered

7/7/07 - EAD "touched"

7/7/07 - AOS "touched"

8-6-07 - Rec'd EAD Card in the Mail

5-20-08 - AOS INTERVIEW - APPROVED - PASSPORT STAMPED

7-2-10 - Received 10 year green card in mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thanks for the video suggestions. I'm going to get them as soon as my husband gets a job (ya Allah please be soon!)

I've been to enough parties where arab ladies will get up and shake their thing, and the indian/pakistani crowd will do their thing. They all urge me to get up and dance, but man, my hips don't move that way and I look really really silly :lol:

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.