HumanUnit

Two kinda lame questions...

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi again all...I've checked the Guides and I'm not quite sure of how to go about these things.

First: does anyone know how I should go about getting the police check done? I haven't received the instructions yet but I want to be proactive! Is there someone in Toronto where we can just go? Also - really dumb - should I get a police check on both of us or just my spouse (I'm the US citizen)?

Second: has anyone encountered problems visiting the US during the processing time? My husband and I plan to go to the US to look for apartments at least once! I really hope this isn't problematic!

Thanks in advance, of course! :D

Nov 29 2005 I-130 received at VSC

Mar 13 2006 I-130 approved at CSC

April 24 2006 $380 mailed to NVC

May 5 2006 I-186 mailed to NVC

May 18 2006 I-186 received by NVC

Have a read here about police certificates http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5635&hl=RCMP I am assuming it will be the same for CR-1

As for travel whilst it is being processed there is no 100% guarantee but that also applies at any time... having a petition in process can give them grounds to deny as they can deem that you have immigrant intent. Take with you all info regarding your case so you can show that you are not far off an interview so therefore will return. Any other ties that you still have in home country eg work etc. Thats all you can do really.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think this is where you'll want to look for your police certs:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/reciprocity/C...ada.htm#Ontario

It's a few clicks (and a correction to a state.gov document with a bad link) out of aussie's timesavers link in her sig. :)

for anyone else looking for how to get police certs for your country, this seems to be a good place to look:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/reciprocity/country_pick.htm

ttyl,

mich

Let me show you how to get your tax returns the easy way

aussiewench's thread for kicking butt in the NVC ('cause i'm too lazy to keep looking it up - haha)

Our DS-3032 email to the NVC

02 Jan 2006 - Married

...----===::: CR-1 :::===---...

22 May 2006 - Case # Assigned @ NVC

14 Jul 2006 - DS-230 Package Received by USC

We stopped pursuit of CR-1 to pursue K3/AOS. For us, both required the same document, we could only have one valid copy, and the K3 was moving faster.

See profile for the details up to and in between the events listed here.

...---===::: K3 :::===---...

17 May 2006 - Date NVC says petition shipped to embassy

18 May 2006 - Case # Assigned @ NVC

01 Jul 2006 - Packet "3" received from embassy

18 Jul 2006 - Medical

21 Sept 2006 - K3 Interview Date (APPROVED)

27 Sept 2006 - Received Visa

06 Oct 2006 - Arrives in the USA! Finally home together. :)

(Truncated timeline - sig too long. See profile for all details.)

Timeline
Have a read here about police certificates http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5635&hl=RCMP I am assuming it will be the same for CR-1

As for travel whilst it is being processed there is no 100% guarantee but that also applies at any time... having a petition in process can give them grounds to deny as they can deem that you have immigrant intent. Take with you all info regarding your case so you can show that you are not far off an interview so therefore will return. Any other ties that you still have in home country eg work etc. Thats all you can do really.

Oh no....they could really turn him back?? That's so frustrating! We have to go look at apartments for three days :(. Do you happen to know if it's common that people are turned back?? I'll definitely take evidence of our flight and hotel bookings - maybe a letter from our broker stating that we're going to see her to look for apartments?? This is super stressful!

Thank you for the link!

Thanks mich for the links! :)

Edited by HumanUnit

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Do a search!!!! This topic of us Canadian visiting the USA while the process is ongoing comes up every week!!

Yes he could be denied entry. Some do, some do not. Many like myself never had a problem visiting the USA. I travvled monthly to DC and not one problem. Ensure one has ties to Canada, ie letter from employer, return ticket home, apartment lease. But what it pretty much boils down tois the POE officer. If he has any feeling he may stay illegally, he may deny him entry. if the POE officer is having a bad day, he may deny him, lol! Ensure one has a back up plan in case he does get denied entry!! Its not that big of a deal, just a pain in the butt!! Answer the officers questions honestly, but do not "add" to your answer!! Do not travel with lots of baggage and do not have any resumes in your possesion! As stated earlier, some have problems, some do not!! If you do a searcj, you should find lots of info

Regarding the police check. In the Greater Toronto area, you need to see the Commisionaires. http://www.commissionaires.ca/

If he has never had a criminal record,he only requires the Canada wide back ground check. If he has had a criminal record he wil lmost likely require fingerprinting rcmp.ca for info. The back ground check doesnt take long. but if he requires fingerprinting that can take awhile (like up to 6 months) Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Thank you!! Honestly you guys all rock - this is seriously one of the most confusing things I've ever been through. It's kind of embarassing because I just graduated from law school and should be fairly comfortable with complicated, bureaucratic nightmares :P.

Edited to add: I see that this Commissionaires site is a private entity. Another poster provided a link which said I could go to the "Criminal Investigation Department" on Jarvis - is there an advantage to one over the other? Maybe cost wise? Thanks again.

Edited by HumanUnit

Timeline

Majority of Canadian use the RCMP. At 1 time they were pretty much the only ones that had the Canadian wide search capability. Now Many City police forces have it as well. Forget the actual name of the system,but it has to be CANADA WIDE. in the GTA you use the Commisionaires!! Not sure how long it takes, but if you do a search, I'm sure you will find that info. many people forget all about the search button!! best of luck

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
Majority of Canadian use the RCMP. At 1 time they were pretty much the only ones that had the Canadian wide search capability. Now Many City police forces have it as well. Forget the actual name of the system,but it has to be CANADA WIDE. in the GTA you use the Commisionaires!! Not sure how long it takes, but if you do a search, I'm sure you will find that info. many people forget all about the search button!! best of luck

Thanks for your help! I tried a couple of searches but I'm obviously not the sharpest tool in the box because I either get nothing or tons of irrelevant stuff :blush: .

Timeline

After doing a few searches and reading, I have a few more specific questions about trying to visit the US:

When we try to cross the border - do we tell them that we have this application open and are pre-interview? Or will they find out themselves by running my husband's name? I'm just wondering how much information we should be offering up!

From what I understand, these are good documents to take:

• employment letter, saying he's on vacation
  • receipts for return plane tickets
  • receipts for hotel room
  • bank statements

Any other ideas? Of course, from what I understand, even with all this information they could deny entry!! :angry:

Timeline

I just answered their questions and that was it. Didnt give up any more info. if they asked If I was on business or pleasure, i stated Pleasure and returning on such a such date and that was about it. I was never asked to show evidnece(i had it with me) and I never told them I was in the process of getting my cr-1 visa!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.