11 posts in this topic

I have got I-551 stamp since I understood it is better to get unrestricted SS card (for a new job; good luck to me with this -people comment that this did not work; will report about my experince). Plus, I want to change my last name and, hopefully, the name check was completed already (being 6 mo at VSC). I guess, on GC it does not matter what name I would have-so, no plans to inform CIS about name change-don't want any complications (will apply for citizenship in 6 mo and plan to use married name on N-400).

But my question is, "Does everyone who got I-551 stamp, also got an annotation under the stamp saying that I-751 is pending?" Or it was just overly zealous officer? By the way, my lawer got NOA1 about 2 weeks after submition. But I never got one. (biometrics apps were sent to both of us). It turned out that CIS has never sent NOA1 to me. Looks like I will get one soon since the office requested the one on computer (even when I said that I just need a stamp). Overall experience, I brought my big bag inside as usual (including cell but turned it off). My case was not even touched because when I asked about timeframe-She said that now I takes a while to adjudicate I-751 and regarding my case-could be interview/could be adjudicated at Vermont...So, they have not touched it. I should have asked about name check. Usefull thoughts are always come late...

Karina and Tomy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

As far as name changes go, you are confined to changing your maiden name to your married name until after you get your citizenship, if the only basis for the name change is marriage. My wife was going to follow the convention of using her maiden name as her middle name when we submitted a name change after she got her conditional green card, but CIS (or at least the field office) would not allow her. She was only allowed to change her maiden name to her married name and had to use her given middle name. We were told she could change her name however she wanted after she received her citizenship.

Meh

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The stamp is in red. The following is printed as part of the stamp "Upon endorsement, serves as temporary 1-551 evidencing permanent residency for one year. Issue Date:________ Officer________ EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZED Valid Until __________________________________________ 01436 USDHS USCIS"

Above the stamp is handwritten my A number. The issue date, officer and valid until dates are handwritten in. Below the stamp is handwritten:

"CFI 05/24/06 Phu" (the date my greencard was issue). Below that is my SRC case number, and "I-751 filed on 03/03/08" (the date my I-751 was physically received in TSC)

The card was issued for one year from 05/07/08 to 05/07/09

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
As far as name changes go, you are confined to changing your maiden name to your married name until after you get your citizenship, if the only basis for the name change is marriage. My wife was going to follow the convention of using her maiden name as her middle name when we submitted a name change after she got her conditional green card, but CIS (or at least the field office) would not allow her. She was only allowed to change her maiden name to her married name and had to use her given middle name. We were told she could change her name however she wanted after she received her citizenship.

Thanks for the info regarding name changes. We were thinking of waiting for the 751 to be adjudicated first before doing that. I guess if it's only the last name, it could be done before citizenship. Of course, we plan on combining the last names to reflect the names from the old country some years back -- they probably wouldn't like that, since it wouldn't be "standard".

--

02/27/08 - sent I-751 (remove conditions)

03/07/08 - check cleared

04/24/08 - transferred to VSC

04/25/08 - touched

08/??/08 - reschedule photo & prints

09/19/08 - photo & fingerprints

12/25/08 - touched

12/31/08 - card production ordered

06/14/11 - N-400 app sent

06/16/11 - N-400 NOA

07/07/11 - Biometrics appt.

09/07/11 - N-400 Interview

09/26/11 - Oath ceremony

Filed: Timeline

My stamp states the same thing. It is normal since the I-551 stamp is for many reasons.

Our case is I-751 pending, the same stamp can be for I-485 waiting for the card in an emergency travel, can be for a person in 10yr green card with a previous expired card or can be a person who just arrived in the US and waiting for their physical card, etc. So the stamp has many uses so they should put a note about what is your case.

When I had my AOS interview I got a stamp and I remember the guy put something about I-485 something.

I was thinking of using double name (maiden-married-which is quite popular convention in Russia). But understood that court has to approve it -so, it is a bit complicated. Now I just want to use married name. Initially, I wanted to change it after I-751 since my last name is very very rare-so, name checks should go faster. My husband's name is very very common and my first name is very very very common. I was afraid to get stacked at FBI clearance process. The other reason, my passport will expire end next year only and takes time (and not so cheap) to get a new one. So, I was thinking that it is better to have GC matching my passport. But I am looking for a new job now and decided to get unrestricted SS (if could; to avoid all these troubles happend to other folks) and change name at the same time. But I am not planning to submit name change to CIS at this time for GC.

James, have I understood you correctly that I would have to use my maiden name even on N-400 and would be able to change it only after citizenship? Or this is related only to non-standard name changes?

Karina and Tomy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
James, have I understood you correctly that I would have to use my maiden name even on N-400 and would be able to change it only after citizenship? Or this is related only to non-standard name changes?

You can use your married name on the N-400 if you change it with CIS by filing form I-90 and showing the local office your marriage certificate. You can also go to court and get your name changed to whatever you like, then go the I-90 route with CIS and file the N-400 with the new name. We were just told that my wife could not use her maiden name as her middle name with a name change just based on the marriage certificate.

Meh

THANKS TO EVERYBODY!!! Will go on Mon to SS office for unrestricted SS card with married name.

You can use your married name on the N-400 if you change it with CIS by filing form I-90 and showing the local office your marriage certificate. You can also go to court and get your name changed to whatever you like, then go the I-90 route with CIS and file the N-400 with the new name. We were just told that my wife could not use her maiden name as her middle name with a name change just based on the marriage certificate.

Karina and Tomy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.