kerewin21

Buying a car off of craigslist

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

you haft to be very careful with people on craiglist!... i never got burned which is good and we sell and buy a lot from craiglist but only locally ...we've traded our motorhome for a nice truck, my husband bought me a used car and we end up selling again cause some financial problems bummer ...if you do everything local then craigslist is awesome!!!!...

newhelmet007jpg1.jpg9GSxm8.pnglittlerocker031jpg1.jpgbKkQm7.png

3.jpg3s2lm8.png

We bought husbands first car from craiglist locally, it was a 98 isuzu rodeo. The guy sold it for a couple hundred dollars less because it needed a break job. It was also fully loaded with sound system, keyless entry and remote start even had a dvd player in it. He did not want anything extra for the things inside. You have to call as soon as you see something you are interested in because if its a good deal it's liable to go fast!!!!! All in all it was a very good experience!!!!!

Edited by forchika

****Removal of Conditions ****

7/13/09 Sent I-751 application VSC

7/16/09 Package arrived at VSC at 2:08pm signed by D. Renaud

7/24/09 Rcvd I-797C, NOA from VSC

7/29/09 Rcvd Biometric letter...biometrics appt 8/18/09

11/24/09 Rcvd ROC approval ltr...dated 11/18/09

12/04/09 Rcvd 10 yr Green Card in mail

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
Sheesh, 2 more responses, both trying to sell me a car from far away (one from IL, one from CA).

I'm not sure what you are doing, but you certainly can choose the area where you are searching from.

Go to front page:

http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites.html

Click on city or state you wish to narrow your search in. Also, you can filter out to show only private sellers.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Sheesh, 2 more responses, both trying to sell me a car from far away (one from IL, one from CA).

I'm not sure what you are doing, but you certainly can choose the area where you are searching from.

Go to front page:

Click on city or state you wish to narrow your search in. Also, you can filter out to show only private sellers.

sometimes people who post the ads post them in the wrong spots...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Go to front page:

If the listing doesn't have the location noted like this - (LOS ANGELES, CA.) I won't bother with them...most likely scammers.

For example:

1995 Toyota 4Runner 4Runner Limi - $2600 - pic

2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 - $2800 - pic

CAMARO-RS 1992 !!!!!!!!! FLOW MASTER EXHAUST SYSTEM !!!!!!!!! - $1200 - (LOS ANGELES, CA.) pic

2005 Mazda 3i sedan 46K Silver - $10900 - (Anaheim) pic

2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4 - $12000 - (Fullerton)

1994 BMW 325I LEATHER , AC RUNS GOOD - $4200 - (ANAHEIM) pic

The first 2 listings don't have a location...a definite red flag.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

We just sold our car on Craiglist. I received a lot of emails from scammers. I didn't know they also tried to scam buyers with the "shipping" thing. I also had emails from people who flaked on me. They'd tell me they were going to come look at the car and never showed. We had two serious buyers. The first paid for a 50 point inspection and a car fax. She wanted me to lower the price $800 and I said no, especially since the car passed the inspection with flying colors. She gave me the mechanics report and the carfax and I gave those to the man who eventually bought the car.

I'd be careful where you meet to look at the cars. You can choose an neutral place like a well-lit grocery store parking lot. I also don't think it's too much to ask for copies of receipts for all services done on the car.

Summer 2001--we met in Manzanillo, Mexico

10/02--129F submitted (We had 1 RFE)

7/03--Interview in Ciudad Juarez

2/15/04--Married

4/2/04--AOS submitted

8/23/04--Interview in Chula Vista, CA (approved pending name check)

5 EADs, 3 APs, multiple Senators' inquiries and infopass appts, 2 AOS biometrics,

and one move to Seattle later...

3/3/08--AOS Biometrics renewal in Seattle

6/9/08--10 year green card arrived in the mail. My husband is no longer in immigration limbo and is a realio, trulio permanent resident! It says he's been a resident since 04/17/2008.

1/17/11--Apply for Citizenship

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
I'm trying to buy a used car, and have been looking through craiglist. Over the past few days I've sent emails to 10 of the posters regarding their vehicles and haven't heard back from even one of them. What's going on? Do they just go so fast that sending an email 5 minutes after the ad is posted is too late? Are they all scams?

So confused. Has anyone had luck with craigslist for a car?

make a free email account and use it to send from, it may be someone trolling for emails to spam.

Bingo. I have:

1.) Found a house to rent.

2.) Got a good job.

and 3.) Bought a car off of Craigslist.

The problem is the spammers.

We just sold our car on Craiglist. I received a lot of emails from scammers. I didn't know they also tried to scam buyers with the "shipping" thing. I also had emails from people who flaked on me. They'd tell me they were going to come look at the car and never showed. We had two serious buyers. The first paid for a 50 point inspection and a car fax. She wanted me to lower the price $800 and I said no, especially since the car passed the inspection with flying colors. She gave me the mechanics report and the carfax and I gave those to the man who eventually bought the car.

I'd be careful where you meet to look at the cars. You can choose an neutral place like a well-lit grocery store parking lot. I also don't think it's too much to ask for copies of receipts for all services done on the car.

:rofl: Ever consider a job in car sales?

Go to front page:

Yeah, all of the ones that I contacted claimed not only to be in NYC, but in my borough, in the title of the post. Argh.

So still no luck with craigslist, I am fed up and going to dealers.

Inlovingmemory-2.gif

October 13, 2005: VISA IN HAND!!!

November 15, 2005 - Arrival at JFK!!!

January 28, 2006 - WEDDING!!!

February 27, 2006 - Sent in AOS

June 23, 2006 - AP approved

June 29, 2006 - EAD approved

June 29, 2006 - Transferred to CSC

October 2006 - 2 year green card received!

July 15, 2008 - Sent in I-751

July 22, 2008 - I-751 NOA

Have you tried backpage? They're local classifieds with an interface not unlike Craig's list but not quite so overwhelming.

http://newyork.backpage.com/AutosForSale/c...p;category=4423

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]