djcess

divorce within 1 year of marriage

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone. I have a quick question but a little bit complicated. Someone I know got divorced within just 1 year of marriage. She came here on a fiance visa, got her conditional permanent resident card. I know she can't remove her conditional status. What happens next? I believe she should leave the country am I correct? Thanks.

She's still staying in the US.

(CHECK MY PROFILE INFORMATION FOR COMPLETE SIGNATURE)

August 19, 2006 VISA ON HAND!!!

September 5, 2006- POE @ SFO

September 8, 2006- Applied for SSN

SSN arrived more than a month after.. GRRR!!

November 8, 2006- MARRIED @ San Francisco City Hall

November 21, 2006- Received official marriage certificate

Dec. 19, 2006- sent out AOS

Jan. 3, 2007- Cashed cheques for AOS and EAD

March 15, 2007- AOS interview; APPROVED!!

March 23, 2007- Welcome letter/notice received from mail

March 27, 2007- GREENCARD

Sept 5, 2007 - my first anniversary in the U.S

Jan 30, 2009 - Mailed I-751 removal of conditional residence status

Feb 2, 2009 - Package mailed 10:22 AM at Laguna Niguel, CA (CSC)

Feb 5, 2009 - Check cashed

Feb 26, 2009 Biometrics

The Newlyweds: DJ and PRINCESS

watch clearer version[/color]

mylove.jpg

Hi everyone. I have a quick question but a little bit complicated. Someone I know got divorced within just 1 year of marriage. She came here on a fiance visa, got her conditional permanent resident card. I know she can't remove her conditional status. What happens next? I believe she should leave the country am I correct? Thanks.

She can remove conditions with a wavier provided that the marriage was in good faith.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

She can remove conditions with a wavier provided that the marriage was in good faith.

Thanks for your reply. So if she removes that she can stay? As far as the marriage, all I can say is it's definitely not.

(CHECK MY PROFILE INFORMATION FOR COMPLETE SIGNATURE)

August 19, 2006 VISA ON HAND!!!

September 5, 2006- POE @ SFO

September 8, 2006- Applied for SSN

SSN arrived more than a month after.. GRRR!!

November 8, 2006- MARRIED @ San Francisco City Hall

November 21, 2006- Received official marriage certificate

Dec. 19, 2006- sent out AOS

Jan. 3, 2007- Cashed cheques for AOS and EAD

March 15, 2007- AOS interview; APPROVED!!

March 23, 2007- Welcome letter/notice received from mail

March 27, 2007- GREENCARD

Sept 5, 2007 - my first anniversary in the U.S

Jan 30, 2009 - Mailed I-751 removal of conditional residence status

Feb 2, 2009 - Package mailed 10:22 AM at Laguna Niguel, CA (CSC)

Feb 5, 2009 - Check cashed

Feb 26, 2009 Biometrics

The Newlyweds: DJ and PRINCESS

watch clearer version[/color]

mylove.jpg

Thanks for your reply. So if she removes that she can stay? As far as the marriage, all I can say is it's definitely not.

If petitioner divorced beneficiary they can remove conditions and stay as other poster said "The marriage was in good faith". If beneficiary has record of being abused she can definitely remove conditions.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

If petitioner divorced beneficiary they can remove conditions and stay as other poster said "The marriage was in good faith".

Absolutely! Tell the Permanant Resident to read the instructions for the I-751 Petition to Remove the Conditions of Residence. If the marriage was entered in "good faith" then there is a chance the individual may be granted a ten year renewable green card. If she leaves the country subsequent to her conditional green card expiring, she more than likely will not be able to enter at the POE.

Cheers!!!

Sheriff Uling

Edited by Sheriff Uling

[CLICK HERE] - MANILA EMBASSY K1 VISA GUIDE (Review Post #1)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ Acronyms and USCIS Form Definitions (A Handy Reference Tool)

Manila Embassy K1 Visa Information

4.2 National Visa Center (NVC) | (603) 334-0700 press 1, then 5....

4.3 Manila Embassy (Immigrant Visa Unit) | 011-632-301-2000 ext 5184 or dial 0

4.4 Department of State | (202) 663-1225, press 1, press 0,

4.5 Document Verification | CLICK HERE

4.6 Visa Interview Appointments website | CLICK HERE

4.7 St. Lukes | 011-63-2-521-0020

5.1 DELBROS website | CLICK HERE

6.2 CFO Guidance and Counseling Seminar | MANILA or CEBU

6.3 I-94 Arrival / Departure info | CLICK HERE

Adjustment of Status (AOS) Information

Please review the signature and story tab of my wife's profile, [Deputy Uling].

DISCLAIMER: Providing information does not constitute legal consul nor is intended as a substitute for legal representation.

• 2 weeks later...

What if the couple isn't divorced yet? The I-175 instructions say that if the marriage was in "good faith" but didn't work, that the divorce decree should be filed along with the I-175 (not joint filed, I mean). So, what happens if the couple decides to get divorced shortly before the deadline for removing the conditions?

LIFE IS WHAT WE MAKE IT (E. Dickinson)

PREFIERO SER CABEZA DE RATÓN QUE COLA DE LEÓN.

L'HOMME EST CE QU'IL SE FAIT (J.P. Sartre)

ON NE NAÎT PAS FEMME; ON LE DEVIENT (S. De Beauvoir)

ALEA IACTA EST (I. Caesar)

Afortunado aquel

Who understands

Le langage secret

Das estrelas,

Der blumen

Et delle cose mute

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

She needs to have the divorce decree in hand to file for removal of conditions. Others have done it - you can do a search on VJ. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: Timeline

If the spouses just decided (mean still have the same marital home...just on the terms of well we going to separate further divorce) and they still are in good terms...you may apply as joint, but later on you must re-file (you pay the fee again) with the divorce waiver. Or you wait until get divorce (and then just one time fee)...which then you may won't comply with the time of filing since you may not have the decree on time. If the spouses are not in good terms...you must filed a divorce asap and check out how long it takes in your state (time and requirements are different by state), so you can get the divorce decree in hand on time. If not try to file jointly if still that can't happening...I read a case that the person anyway filed alone without the divorce decree and practically aka buy-out time until got the RFE and then sent the decree. But will all depends on how long it takes every step.

Filed: Timeline

Are you suggesting that you know the marriage was not bonafide?

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.