travel in jordan

38 posts in this topic

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

I don't know. I saw plenty of women in cabs by themselves when I went this year. I went there alone but I did meet up with someone.

MY HOT ARAB HUBBY!!

dreamy_Riyad-2.jpg2615261345_a42ed1904a.jpg

No one tell the hubby! Oh wait I already told HIM! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
For those of you have been to Jordan... do you think its safe for a single woman to travel around jordan by herself? (mostly touristy areas) :star:

Heck yeah! You could totally go by yourself. I've been there 5? times and I did a lot of things on my own. You will have no problems. Most people speak some English and a lot of sinage is in Arabic and English. If you're going to, say, Petra and the Baptism site, Mt Nebo, etc there are buses that run from the airport and you can arrange something fairly simply. You know some basic Arabic, so you'll be able to get around easier than the average person.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline

I think it is always better, regardless of the location, to have someone with you. Yet, if you really want to travel alone then just be as careful as posssible, know the areas you travel in well, strengthen your language skills, and just stay aware of your surroundings at all times. When I was in Jordan I was never alone except one taxi ride so I cannot say how it is to go around alone. I only want to advise you that it would be better to have someone you can trust with you and always have a plan for each place you go. You should know all possible modes of transportation for the area, if it has higher crime, how you can prevent crimes against you, and the exact route back to your hotel. This way you will not feel lost if something bad does happen.

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I felt totally safe when I was in Jordan, tho I was with someone the whole time I was there. I think the most animosity I felt when I was there was between me and a shop keeper that didn't want to deal with me directly,but with my husband.

My life has been blessed with the love of 4 of the sweetest men in the world. James, Jonathan, Nicolas, and Islam, my sons and my S/O.

OPSSSSSSS I DID IT AGAIN!

Filed: Timeline

Maybe in Amman alone..but not the villages. No, not even Amman.

We were at Mecca Mall, the ex was paying for something. I took 10 steps from the register to the doorway to look into the mall, and the security guard actually shoo-d me back in. Of course being the independant woman I am, I had to ask why. They were afraid of an American being alone.

Jackie

(To clarify--my 4 trips to Jordan--I felt 100% safe. I was with someone. Jen if you need a travel buddy to Jordan, I'll go :) )

Timeline
Maybe in Amman alone..but not the villages. No, not even Amman.

We were at Mecca Mall, the ex was paying for something. I took 10 steps from the register to the doorway to look into the mall, and the security guard actually shoo-d me back in. Of course being the independant woman I am, I had to ask why. They were afraid of an American being alone.

Jackie

(To clarify--my 4 trips to Jordan--I felt 100% safe. I was with someone. Jen if you need a travel buddy to Jordan, I'll go :) )

That is pretty strange! I wonder why? I was alone a lot and I know others who have traveled to Jordan by themselves, no guide, who moved between all the touristy areas (Jen said touristy areas) and even villages. None of us ever had a problem. Porbably the most adventurous friend I had went from QAI to Aqaba, then up to Petra via Wadi Rum, on to Jerash and Pella, then all the way up to Abila. I wouldn't think twice about going to a place like Petra which is incredibly catering to tourists and you see a lot of people wandering around alone... and it's not like you have far to wander outside the park as most of the hotels are like a 2 minute walk from the entrance.

ETA: as an FYI it's a cultural faux-pas for you to leave the store before your husband-- he has to at least "appear" to be making the decisions to leave or go in.

Edited by julianna

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Its true that Jordan is signed well in english, and lots of jordanians have at least rough english....There's no reason you couldn't get in and out safely but I wouldn't if I didn't have to. Let somebody show you Jordan. Seriously, if Jordanians are anything, they are hospitable and proud of Jordan. I know my husband and his family enjoyed showing me things that they were super proud of and I would have never found on my own, and if I did, I wouldn't have seen it the same way.

Another consideration (would be for me anyway) is to consider how conservative your guy and his family are because theres lots of people that would not see your traveling alone as independent or adventurous....they would see a girl alone and think "if she were a good girl, her father or husband wouldn't let her run all wild like that". I don't think I would want his family to know you did that if you do go, but I don't know him or them. I think there are travel sites about groups you could go with.

(On a side note, I wanna go too)

edited to add that I am not sharing that "bad girl' view, I think you are cool as can be, Julianna.

Edited by dawnnhatem

3dflags_jor0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Hatem & Dawn

Dec 09, 2004 I130 sent to USCIS

Mar 02, 2006 Arrives in US

15 months start to finish for cr-1 from Amman with no RFEs, ARs or other bonus hang-ups

complete timeline in profile

Nov 27, 2007 Three year Annivrsary. Two more and I can apply for a Jordanian Passport, and then we're going to Cuba (Just because I can). can't wait...

Timeline
Another consideration (would be for me anyway) is to consider how conservative your guy and his family are because theres lots of people that would not see your traveling alone as independent or adventurous....they would see a girl alone and think "if she were a good girl, her father or husband wouldn't let her run all wild like that". I don't think I would want his family to know you did that if you do go, but I don't know him or them. I think there are travel sites about groups you could go with.

(On a side note, I wanna go too)

edited to add that I am not sharing that "bad girl' view, I think you are cool as can be, Julianna.

LOL I had business to do. I just know it's possible. Most of my time was not alone, really, although I spent probably most of my alone time in Irbed. I also went to dressing like a local though and that's when all problems (as in the constant random declarations of love and interest in myself or sex) ceased for me. If I were in a setting where I was going to be associating myself with my husband though, I wouldn't likely be alone. You're right about the image it can get you with those who know your husband. In the village I probably won't be a lone wanderer unless it's between our place and his family's place. That's normal and acceptable, but me wandering to Abila would not be acceptable. Now me DRIVING somewhere like Irbed would be fine. It really just depends on what you're doing.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.