happyimmigrant

Montreal - still waiting

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I was doing some reading today thinking of the backlog and found a couple of things that might be having an impact on things.

From January this year:

To decrease the wait time for visa appointments for travelers, and building on best practices at several posts, all American embassies and consulates have now established procedures to expedite the processing of business visas and are working closely with local American Chambers of Commerce in over 100 countries to expedite the visa process for bona fide business travelers.

source

Also From January, but since the number of student visa greatly increaes between June - August this probably is having a major impact.

The assistant secretary outlined a number of steps the State Department has taken to expedite the processing of student visa applications, including:

• Adding more than 500 new consular positions since September 2001;

• Negotiating extended reciprocity agreements so that students are not required to apply for visas as frequently, or for renewals; and

Directing its embassies and consulates to put student and exchange visitors at the head of the queue when scheduling visa interviews

“We do not want to lose a single student and we don’t want them to miss the beginning of school,” she said, adding the State Department has “made processing of student and exchange visitor visas a priority at every post.”

source

With business visas being expedited, and student visa's being placed ahead of all others and expedited, we're kind of left behind

Edited by PsychoKat

July 12, 2002 - Married

I130

May 18, 2005 - Sent Certified Mail USPS with Money Order for fees

May 20, 2005 - Received Date

June 2, 2005 - Notice Date

June 6, 2005 - Received NOA1

September 10, 2005No action to date

December 1, 2005 -Approved

I129

August 25, 2005 - Sent Certified Mail USPS with Money Order for fees

August 26, 2005 - USPS tracking shows Delivered, August 26, 2005, 1:54 pm, CHICAGO, IL 60680

September 7, 2005 - "touched" I think

September 12, 2005 - Received NOA1 showing receipt date of August 30, 2005

October 17, 2005 - APPROVED!!!

November 27, 2005 - Received by NVC

November 3, 2005 - RFE received from Consulate

November 18, 2005 - RFE delivered to Consulate

November 28, 2005 - Instructions received

December 6, 2005 - Medical Appt Much confusion and lack of communication by Physicians caused much delay :(

March 23 - Checklist received

May 12 - Packet 4 received

June 1 - Interview

June 1 - APPROVED!!!!!

June 7 - Steve Arrived home

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Additionally in regards to expediting student visa's in the past students were not allowed to arrive until 30 days prior to the beginning of classes, that has been increased to 120 days. That's 3 months and if you figure classes to start around the end of August or beginning of September that 120 days prior is right about now.

Edited because I found that information

Students allowed to arrive 120 days prior to classes

It does seem they are REALLY expediting them also

Harty said that almost all visa applications -- some 97.5 percent -- are processed within two days, and that the screening process for the 2.5 percent of visa applicants subject to special screening requirements for security reasons has been streamlined, typically taking one week to two weeks.

Also from one of the pages linked in my previous post

Edited by PsychoKat

July 12, 2002 - Married

I130

May 18, 2005 - Sent Certified Mail USPS with Money Order for fees

May 20, 2005 - Received Date

June 2, 2005 - Notice Date

June 6, 2005 - Received NOA1

September 10, 2005No action to date

December 1, 2005 -Approved

I129

August 25, 2005 - Sent Certified Mail USPS with Money Order for fees

August 26, 2005 - USPS tracking shows Delivered, August 26, 2005, 1:54 pm, CHICAGO, IL 60680

September 7, 2005 - "touched" I think

September 12, 2005 - Received NOA1 showing receipt date of August 30, 2005

October 17, 2005 - APPROVED!!!

November 27, 2005 - Received by NVC

November 3, 2005 - RFE received from Consulate

November 18, 2005 - RFE delivered to Consulate

November 28, 2005 - Instructions received

December 6, 2005 - Medical Appt Much confusion and lack of communication by Physicians caused much delay :(

March 23 - Checklist received

May 12 - Packet 4 received

June 1 - Interview

June 1 - APPROVED!!!!!

June 7 - Steve Arrived home

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
scott i dont know what else you could do. you cant actually complain. dont want them to hate you. but it's bullsh!t what they are doing, and being rude and stuff. they've got to start moving. geez.

Hi, Can I ask you something, How much time did Montreal Consultant give you to prepare your interview to Montreal after notification letter? Thanks a lot.

My timeline:

K-1

10-12-2005 I-129F Sent to Vermont Service Center

12-12-2005 Rec Petition I-129F NOA1

I-129F RFE(s) to Montreal, Canada

2006-01-27 Montreal consulant asked for copy of my passport

2006-03-07 Montreal consulant asked for residential information

2006-04-08 Packet 3 Received

2006-04-21 DS-230 sent

2006-05-06 Check list sent

2006-05-09 Check list received by consulant

2006-05-18 Interview letter received

2006-07-05 Interview!~

2006-07-06 Visa in hand

2006-07-23 Arrive USA

2006-08-04 Just Married!~

AOS

2006-10-07 file AOS

2006-10-16 NOA1 for I-485

2006-10-30 case transfered to California service center

2006-11-30 received biometrics letter

2006-12-21 biometrics appointment

2007-02-09 welcome letter

Removing Conditional residency

2008-12-2 Mail the package though Fedex

2009-01-10 biometrics appointment

2009-05-07 conditional residency removed

2009- new green card received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Looking at the time lines Lucy, you are going to have a bit of a wait.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Believe Ziggy made a good point. Since the addition of DCF, it has really slowed down MTL. Would be nice if Vancouver took some of that backlog. And one has to take in to consideration how many others applying for K1, k3 cr-1 use VJ. I had not heard of VJ til lright near the end of my cr1 experience. Hopefully you get some good news soon.

Aye. gsmaclean, you guys seem like a really nice couple, but you are driving yourselves to an early grave! Pull your fingers away from the telephone and stop torturing yourselves with a bi-weekly run-in with the Montreal operators! :) And just use the statistics you find here on VJ as a guideline, not as gospel. I completely realize that you have had the longish end of the estimated waits, and how frustrating that can be, but I don't want to see you enter the US with a bleeding ulcer, you know?? :)

I sincerely hope you hear about your appointment date soon! (F)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

we too are waiting... but I am a bit confused... We filed the I130 Sept 2, 2005 and then the I129F March 10, 2006 ( didnt know we could file that and he would be here waiting for the I130 processing instead of Montreal UGH!) I thought it was the K3 Visa was what we applied for but our paperwork from the NVC says CR1.. We sent DS-230 and waiting rersponse for an interview as well.. Does NVC set up our interview? I have been stressed about the 2-4 month waiting period for Montreal. My husband and I were married last August but have our formal family and friends wedding this August 19th.... Lots of deposits to be lost with delays... I would very much like to get into more conversations with all the great people here but it seems whenever I post I don't get too much feedback..am I doing someting wrong? Everyone's postings come to my regular email but mine never show either. Lastly I cannot figure how to get my timeline to show on this blog like others.. it has been 8 months and 5 days...

Thank you very much

Well if nothing else, at least SOMETHING has happened at Montreal: Harding got an interview date of June 8 for her CR-1:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12146

Of course, that's for a CR-1, and the interview date for those is assigned by NVC, not by Montreal. I'd be happy just to see ANY K-1 person get a Montreal date at this point.

09/2005 submitted I130, 08/09/2006 completed medical,case left NVC to Montreal Embassy July 7, 2006
06/07/2006 NVC CASE COMPLETE! (278 days from I130 submitted to NVC case complete)
August 2006 Interview at Montreal Embassy, need to submit I601 & I212 waiver.July 2007 submitted waivers to Montreal Embassy who forwarded to Vermont Service Center
October 2007 rec'd receipt and notification or waiver processing from VSC, April 2008 rec'd RFE for I601 July 2008 submitted RFE, and rec'd receipt, advised written decision within 60 days
October 24, 2008 sent written request for case status to VSC, May 2009 after written request for status update recd letter "being processed"
July2009 requested Senator inquiry again.. response "with officer, required extra processing" if no response check back 6 months!
Dec 09 requested senator inquiry again, Jan 8 2010 requested more than "general inquiry" senator Jan 11, 2010 Senator requested supervisor
Jan 12, VSC told senator's office we wld recd notice in mail 7 - 10 days Jan 20, 2010 I601 DENIED.... letter dated Jan 14, 2010
April 2010, granted 290b approval to send to Appeal for review

October 2011 Appeal denied due to fraud, now dumped by husband, now with Canadian Arabic woman from Tunisa for Canada residence.. processing Immigration with her now

thru Canada

July2013 He ws deported back to Egypt almost a year ago due to out of status for almost 2 years

movin on to a new life
Felicia

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Looking at the time lines Lucy, you are going to have a bit of a wait.

The way Montreal works, she may get her interview date next week. :)

Believe Ziggy made a good point. Since the addition of DCF, it has really slowed down MTL. Would be nice if Vancouver took some of that backlog. And one has to take in to consideration how many others applying for K1, k3 cr-1 use VJ. I had not heard of VJ til lright near the end of my cr1 experience. Hopefully you get some good news soon.

Aye. gsmaclean, you guys seem like a really nice couple, but you are driving yourselves to an early grave! Pull your fingers away from the telephone and stop torturing yourselves with a bi-weekly run-in with the Montreal operators! :) And just use the statistics you find here on VJ as a guideline, not as gospel. I completely realize that you have had the longish end of the estimated waits, and how frustrating that can be, but I don't want to see you enter the US with a bleeding ulcer, you know?? :)

I sincerely hope you hear about your appointment date soon! (F)

The problem is, there ARE no recent statistics here on VJ. The most recent statistics show that we should have already had our interview. But obviously Montreal has slowed down considerably since then. So until they do start actually issuing some dates, we have no way of knowing just how long it will be.

What you may not realize is yes, we're at the longish end of the K-1 wait, but we have actually been dealing with USCIS on a visa for me now for 17 months. That's how long we have been waiting since our original submission. So you can understand that when we get to the final interview stage and they just keep telling you "check back next week" week after week...you think it's SO close, and then the months continue to tick away - we were told "two to four weeks" eight weeks ago. Eight weeks ago, we thought we were just a few weeks away, ending this 17 month nightmare. So you can imagine what it's like waiting for those last few weeks that never seem to come, and they continue to just dangle this carrot out in front of us, but not actually ever letting us know when it might finally end.

Timeline

If it has been 17 months, time for the USA citizen to contact her congress person!! Phoning Mtl and gettig upset is pointless!! I'm sure the staff thier are doing their best, but most likely swamped!! As i stated earlier, get the USA citizen to contact the congress rep!! Squeaky wheel gets the grease! best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I know. We waited a lot longer than most people here going through Nebraska at the same time for our NOA2. When we finally got the NOA2 back in the beginning of February, we thought; "well, now that THAT is overwith, at least we're past the slow part of this process!" Looking at the speed Montreal was working back then, we figured we'd be be done and together sometime in mid to late April. Little did we know that the consulate part of the process was going to take even longer than the original petition process!

We figured it would take 6-7 months for the entire process, from initial submission to POE crossing, because that's what most people from Canada were experiencing. Assuming we get an interview date in July, it will be 10 months.

hey

same here

btw, I don't know if u remember me mentioning that my fiance in Chicago got a letter saying that the interview date is coming to me(Toronto)...... so he finally checked who it was from: Department of Homeland Security....... that was random I guess, because how the hell would they know that I would/wouldn't get the appointment(last week)??? Just to clarify I DIDN'T GET anything yet - the norm, what else is new? this waiting process SUCKS!

take care

Peace

Elunia28 :luv:

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Additionally in regards to expediting student visa's in the past students were not allowed to arrive until 30 days prior to the beginning of classes, that has been increased to 120 days. That's 3 months and if you figure classes to start around the end of August or beginning of September that 120 days prior is right about now.

Edited because I found that information

Students allowed to arrive 120 days prior to classes

It does seem they are REALLY expediting them also

Harty said that almost all visa applications -- some 97.5 percent -- are processed within two days, and that the screening process for the 2.5 percent of visa applicants subject to special screening requirements for security reasons has been streamlined, typically taking one week to two weeks.

Also from one of the pages linked in my previous post

This would make sense... except.. the Non-Immigrant Visa Units and the Immigrant Visa Units are totally seperate entities. They do not rob Peter to pay Paul in this sense. Immigrant Visa Units only process Immigrant Visas.. They do not deal with business, student or any other type of non-immigrant visas with the exception of K visas.

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline

I know. We waited a lot longer than most people here going through Nebraska at the same time for our NOA2. When we finally got the NOA2 back in the beginning of February, we thought; "well, now that THAT is overwith, at least we're past the slow part of this process!" Looking at the speed Montreal was working back then, we figured we'd be be done and together sometime in mid to late April. Little did we know that the consulate part of the process was going to take even longer than the original petition process!

We figured it would take 6-7 months for the entire process, from initial submission to POE crossing, because that's what most people from Canada were experiencing. Assuming we get an interview date in July, it will be 10 months.

hey

same here

btw, I don't know if u remember me mentioning that my fiance in Chicago got a letter saying that the interview date is coming to me(Toronto)...... so he finally checked who it was from: Department of Homeland Security....... that was random I guess, because how the hell would they know that I would/wouldn't get the appointment(last week)??? Just to clarify I DIDN'T GET anything yet - the norm, what else is new? this waiting process SUCKS!

take care

Peace

Elunia28 :luv:

I do remember - that's really odd, because I haven't heard of that happening with anyone else. How strange that he got a letter from DHS - I wonder if that means you were having some sort of security check done by DHS?

Timeline
Does NVC set up our interview?

Lastly I cannot figure how to get my timeline to show on this blog like others.. it has been 8 months and 5 days...

NVC sets up the date for CR-1 interviews.

Montreal does the K-3 interviews.

To set up your timeline:

Go to Immigration Timelines above. On the left side, you'll see add/edit my timeline. Click on this and just enter your info.

Good luck!

Edit: I just noticed you just did that. :) Please ignore this post.

Edited by Cygnet

CR-1

09/16/2005 Mailed I-130 (CSC)

09/21/2005 NOA 1

02/07/2006 NOA 2 (Day 143)

02/25/2006 Petitioner receives AOS Bill in U.S. (Day 161)

02/27/2006 AOS Bill (regular USPS) and DS-3032 (Canada Post regular) are mailed out

03/21/2006 Petitioner receives I-864 package (Day 185)

03/22/2006 Beneficiary receives IV Bill and sends payment - regular mail (Day 186)

03/24/2006 Petitioner sends back I-864 (Day 188)

04/13/2006 Beneficiary receives DS-230 (Day 208)

05/10/2006 Beneficiary sends back DS-230 and docs to NVC via Fedex (Day 235)

05/19/2006 NVC issues RFE on Question # 20 on the DS-230. (Day 244)

05/29/2006 Beneficiary receives RFE and sends it off (Day 254)

06/02/2006 NVC receives RFE (Day 258)

06/16/2006 Case Complete! (Day 272)

07/07/2006 Case forwarded to Consulate in Montreal (Day 293)

08/11/2006 INTERVIEW! VISA APPROVED!

08/14/2006 Picked up visa and crossed the border.

08/25/2006 SS card arrives in the mail

09/07/2006 GC arrives in the mail.

K-3

02/01/2006 Mailed I-129F

02/07/2006 NOA1

04/14/2006 I-129F is approved!

04/24/2006 NVC forwards the application to the consulate in Montreal

05/01/2006 Packet 3 is received from consulate & is sent of 3 days later

07/07/2006 Medical

08/08/2006 INTERVIEW- cancelled bec. of CR-1

Timeline

I had my fiance contact the Montreal consulate a couple of weeks ago since we've been waiting for an interview for what seems like forever now (the consulate website says that Montreal's interview waiting period is 43 days as of 5/3/06. Somehow I don't think that's very accurate). Anyways, the man on the phone told him that he already called 2 weeks ago and to stop calling because there was nothing else he could do. My fiance was in the middle of saying "Ok, well thank you for your time" when the man hung up on him!

What is the matter with these people???!!!

I'm sure the consulate is tired of hearing people call in and ask about when their interview date is going to be, but maybe all of these people wouldn't need to keep calling if Montreal could actually speed things up a bit.

When we started this process back in January, we were only expecting a 25 day interview wait period (as stated on the consulate website). But Montreal has had our Packet 3 information for about 56 days now and still no word...

This is just getting more and more depressing as each day goes on. I'm trying to stay optimistic but then I read forums like this where people have been waiting for an interview for even longer than I have. I'll keep telling myself that maybe our interview letter will come in the mail tomorrow....

Edited by Jen&Joe

Timeline:

2/03/06 - I-129F Sent

2/13/06 - I-129F NOA1

2/16/06 - I-129F NOA2

3/16/06 - Packet 3 Received

Timeline
I had my fiance contact the Montreal consulate a couple of weeks ago since we've been waiting for an interview for what seems like forever now (the consulate website says that Montreal's interview waiting period is 43 days as of 5/3/06. Somehow I don't think that's very accurate). Anyways, the man on the phone told him that he already called 2 weeks ago and to stop calling because there was nothing else he could do. My fiance was in the middle of saying "Ok, well thank you for your time" when the man hung up on him!

What is the matter with these people???!!!

I'm sure the consulate is tired of hearing people call in and ask about when their interview date is going to be, but maybe all of these people wouldn't need to keep calling if Montreal could actually speed things up a bit.

When we started this process back in January, we were only expecting a 25 day interview wait period (as stated on the consulate website). But Montreal has had our Packet 3 information for about 56 days now and still no word...

This is just getting more and more depressing as each day goes on. I'm trying to stay optimistic but then I read forums like this where people have been waiting for an interview for even longer than I have. I'll keep telling myself that maybe our interview letter will come in the mail tomorrow....

I know exactly what you are talking about. We're at 51 days now, right behind you. I was hung up on last Friday when I called them. We started this K-1 process six months ago exactly as of today, and all along we thought the consulate portion would be the quick part at the very end. The way it's going right now, the consulate/interview part of the process is going to have taken even longer than the original petition approval - and that took long enough in itself!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.