carolinasfinest

Is it better for me to move to Canada??

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Ok, you guys have been very helpful so far with info and sharing your experiences with waiting, waiting, and more waiting to get to the US. My fiances company in Edmonton offered ME a position and a very good salary there. What do I do now? I know this is all about Visas and trying to get to the US but do any of ya'll know what it would actually take for me to move to Canada? It can't be as difficult as a Canadian moving to the US .....right? Any insight would be helpful.

thanks,

Nikki

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I know there is still a lot of red tape going to Canada. I am guessing you need to decide where you would like to live and then file the papers for the appropriate country. Good luck in your decision.

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Ok, you guys have been very helpful so far with info and sharing your experiences with waiting, waiting, and more waiting to get to the US. My fiances company in Edmonton offered ME a position and a very good salary there. What do I do now? I know this is all about Visas and trying to get to the US but do any of ya'll know what it would actually take for me to move to Canada? It can't be as difficult as a Canadian moving to the US .....right? Any insight would be helpful.

thanks,

Nikki

Why wouldn't it be just as difficult, they are both governments :lol:

While it isn't as poorly set up as U.S. immigration (ie: you send in all your documents together), it's still a lot of paperwork. First of all you have to be married, there are no fiance(e) visas for Canada.

Secondly, while you can live in Canada if you want to, while your permanent residency status is pending, you can't work until it is approved. When my Husband applied for his PR in Canada about 9 years ago, that only took 6 months, however now - and this is only what I have seen on these boards, it can take a year or more.

After seeing Kathryn's reply, I now realize you might be talking about an actual work visa - but the above applies if you are thinking of family sponsorship. Work visas are not easy to get - as Kathryn has outlined.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The Canadian company has to prove to Human Resources and Social Development Canada - HRSDC - that there is no Canadian available who is qualified to do the job. The company also submits your qualifications for the job with their application. Once the job has been approved, you then submit an application for a work visa to Canada to Immigration through the Canadian Consulate for your part of the US.

The actual Work visa process is listed here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-how.asp

Here is the general Canadian immigration website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp

The Canadian company will already know how to get in touch with HRSDC.

This is if you wish to enter Canada on a work visa to try and get there faster. You can also pursue the spousal immigration route as Trailmix suggested. The information for that is also on the Canadian immigration website.

It won't be fast and quick in either direction. You just make the best choices for yourselves and then live through the process until it is done.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I've gone through both routes. My hubby is an engineer and US citizen. When we met he was working in Canada via his US company, but he didn't 'work' for the Canadian company he was helping so he didn't have a work permit. Anyways, when he moved to Canada in June to be with me after we were engaged, he looked for several jobs in his field and quickly found one as engineers are hard positions to fill typically. The company did all the legwork, we didn't have to lift a finger. The only thing I did for the company was to contact Human Resources Canada and find the person who the company would contact directly. I did this because my hubby's soon-to-be company had never done this before so I was trying to speed things up.

It took about a month from the time the company contact HR Canada until he was able to start his new job after being approved. Once he was, we sped up our wedding date by a few months and afterwards we started the paperwork for him to get permanent residency. The longest part of that process was getting the FBI and State police checks. If you do plan to move and live in Canada, that would be the FIRST thing I would do as that can take months to get, particularly the FBI check. One thing I loved about Canada's process is that you get one package, you fill out everything and then wait. It took just over a year for my hubby to get his pr card. With that he was then also able to file for the provincial health care program. We lived in Ontario so ours was OHIP. I can't stress enough about moving on those police checks though. That was the long drawn out part. We were also from previous marriages so we also had to deal with getting divorce certificates, etc. Looking back I truly liked this process over the US immigration process which I find annoying, beaurocratic and slow and hell. At least with Canada you will be able to have your permanent residence interview or oath ceremony close to home. Ours was held 10 mins at a gov't office located nearby. Whereas with the US process I had to fly to Montreal for my interview as that's the only place that does K3 interviews. Very expensive and time consuming.

My two cents.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

do you really wanna work at the same place as your wife?

AOS Timeline

12/05/2007 - Mailed AOS package

07/03/2008 - Received Welcome Letter and Green Card in Mail.

Timeline
do you really wanna work at the same place as your wife?

Carolinasfinest is the wife :hehe:

Anyway, my Husband and I worked at 2 different places at the same time, it was great!!

Does he feel the same way? lol :devil:

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Considering the benefits you'd have in Canada - and if you don't have many ties here in the US - I would definitely move to Canada if I were in your position.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Filed: Other Timeline

I know I don't 'belong' in this forum, but I popped over here from the active topics list.....

And the only advice I have to offer is personally I wouldn't make a decision about where to live based upon the immigration process. I'd make the decision based on what was best for the family and the family goals.

I know I don't 'belong' in this forum, but I popped over here from the active topics list.....

And the only advice I have to offer is personally I wouldn't make a decision about where to live based upon the immigration process. I'd make the decision based on what was best for the family and the family goals.

You "belong" rebeccajo! You're part of our VJ family! Your sage advise is always welcome! (F) You need to become an honourary Canadian...we even have a badge you can wear! :yes:

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

You are *always* welcome RJ!!!

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

What the heck? You've been reading the Russia forum, haven't you? :lol: You are welcome here anytime. We have created our own little sanctuary here in the Canada forum, far from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the VJ world. The rules are no racism and you must be polite. If you can't be polite you need to be funny. I think you also need to acknowledge that Tim Hortons coffee is the best in the world. (Even if it isn't.) Did I miss anything? :unsure:

iagree.gif

Timeline

What the heck? You've been reading the Russia forum, haven't you? :lol: You are welcome here anytime. We have created our own little sanctuary here in the Canada forum, far from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the VJ world. The rules are no racism and you must be polite. If you can't be polite you need to be funny. I think you also need to acknowledge that Tim Hortons coffee is the best in the world. (Even if it isn't.) Did I miss anything? :unsure:

I think that pretty much covers it krikit!

And yes Flames, of course he did :hehe:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.