TheATeam

Vancouver Interview Review!

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, hold on folks, this is going to be a long one! :P

As you know, we had to do things the backwards way. This meant getting here on Monday night, doing the interview on Tuesday, and then the medical on Wednesday!

So, I flew in to Vancouver on Monday night, while Andrew flew up to Seattle and then drove the rest of the way to meet me. We stayed at the Radisson hotel, which was very nice! You might wonder why I'm telling you about the hotel, but you'll see!

We got up early on Tuesday morning, checked out of the hotel and made our way into Vancouver. We parked near the Consulate and then walked around downtown, looking for a place to go eat. I highly recommend Urban Rush. It's a gourmet grocery store/cafeteria style restaurant. It was some of the best food that we had during our stay. It was a block down from West Pender and Hastings I think. I'm not sure the exact directions, but google it! :P

Anyhow, we went for our interview, and I realize that I should have left my coat in the car. It was a bit of a hassle to take everything out of the pockets, and carry it all around. You have to go through two security check points so make sure you don't put everything BACK in your pockets! Anyhow, I didn't bring any electronics, or my purse or anything, so that was good! We got up to the interview room, after the second security checkpoint. It's kind of neat, after the first checkpoint you go up a flight of stairs where you tell the officer you're there for your K visa appointment. He pushes the up button on the elevator and when it opens, scans his card so you can access the 20th floor. When you get up there you do a second checkpoint, after which he opens the locked door and lets you into the room. Before he let us into the room though, he called ahead to let them know that we were there.

After waiting a little bit we were called to the first window. While waiting I was really nervous. At the first window, A, she asked for my paperwork in a certain order. We did all of that, and we got to the last piece, the medical. I told her I didn't have it and for a second she looked at me like "WHAT?!", and then asked me what I meant. I produced the email saying that I could have the medical the day AFTER the medical, and she said alright, as long as I knew I'd have to bring the results back the next day. I said that I did and she told me that I'd have my fingerprints taken at window 1 and then I'd have my interview at window 4, and asked us to sit down.

We sat down and started talking. I felt MUCH better at that point. There was another couple doing a K1 visa as well. They were in their late 40's I'd say and were doing everything just a step in front of us. Other than that, there was no one else in there. Anyhow, I did my fingerprints, which were super easy and then sat down again. Just as the other couple were starting their interview, another couple came through the door. The room is pretty small there, and they don't actually have rooms, just windows, so if you talk in a regular voice, even a whisper you can hear everything.

The couple were having their interview, and then the other couple was talking to an officer. We could simultaneously hear both conversations at once. The interview for the one couple was going smoothly. There were a few hitches. The interviewer paused a little when the lady said she was already living in the States with her niece. She also had trouble when the interviewer asked if she'd ever had trouble crossing the border and she said no. They obviously had had trouble cause the interviewer could see whatever the border crossing agent had written about it. It took a few minutes but the couple eventually elaborated. Obviously it wasn't a huge issue as they were approved. Apparently they had driven in from the States for a day, and wanted to know how she would cross the border without her passport. The interviewer told her she couldn't cross, and she'd better stay overnight!

The other couple were more complicated. It sounded like the man was the USC and the wife was down in Seattle on a TN visa. They got married and were looking into the process of filing the I-130 when they came up to Vancouver/Canada on a visit. When they tried to get back through the border to go home, the wife was denied as they were married and she didn't have a greencard etc. Boy did I ever feel bad for them. The officer told them what we all know, that the wife would have to remain here and they'd have to apply for her visa. How sad.

Our interview was very straightforward. She asked how we met and when, when we first met in person, when we got engaged, what I did for a living, if I intended to work when I got to the States, what he did for a living, and how much money he made. Then we talked about the medical and she said that everything was fine except that I needed the medical. She gave me a piece of paper that allowed me back into the Consulate the next day to return with that information and that was it, 2 hours later.

We went to check into our hotel, The Inn at False Creek, after that. It was TERRIBLE! It looked awful, but that I can deal with! The problem was that whatever they used to clean that place was SO strong I had a headache within 5 minutes. Needless to say, we hightailed it out of there. Then we had a problem. Where were we going to stay? Well, 4 hours of driving around later, we decided to stay out by the airport again, at the Richmond Inn, a Best Western. That was a great hotel! The problem was it meant that we had to be up by 5 to get into Vancouver for my medical at 6:15. That was a LONG day! It started off locking the keys in the trunk! YIKES! Thank goodness the car was unlocked!

We got to the medical, and had a little trouble finding reasonable parking at that hour. I'll post a link in another thread, but we found good parking only a block away for $8 for the whole day. The medical was very straightforward. I gave them my paperwork, they sent me for a quick blood test, then a quick x-ray, and then a quick doctor visit. He didn't ask my hardly any questions, just checked my eyes, listened to me breathe, and checked my reflexes. They also did my height and weight! NO problem! Oh, and I didn't have to have the HPV shot. They said that it was so new that the government isn't quite enforcing it yet. Since I didn't want it, they marked Contraindicated on the vaccine sheet for me! YAY! I was all done the medical by 9 am. We were back there at 1:45, had the results by 2:10 and were at the consulate to drop them off by 2:15.

I ran in there, with nothing other than my passport, my letter, and my medical. I waited about 15 minutes for someone to see me. She opened my medical envelope, looked it over for a few seconds, and said everything was fine. She took my passport and told me to come back the next day at 2 and pick up my visa! YAY! APPROVED!

So, after that we checked into the Pan Pacific Hotel on the waterfront. Man it was AMAZING! That was definitely the best night! 4 hotels in 3 nights! What a wild ride!

So, that brings us to today. We got to the Consulate, picked up my visa, and now here I am waiting at the airport for my flight! The visa package is in my carry on bag, my passport is in my purse, and I'm worried that I'm going to lose it! ~giggles~

I'll be flying home to Edmonton tonight, getting rid of the rest of my belongings tomorrow, and then flying home to be with my baby on Saturday afternoon! I'm SO excited!

October 2006- Met Taktyx playing the World of Warcraft

I-129F

September 26, 2007- I-129F Package sent by courier to CSC

September 28, 2007- Received at CSC

October 29, 2007- NOA1 hardcopy arrives!

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

April 22, 2008- Interview!

April 26, 2008- POE Edmonton

June 5, 2008- Legal wedding

October 11, 2008- Wedding ceremony with family

AOS

December 6, 2008- AOS package mailed

December 8, 2008- Package received

December 15, 2008- Check cashed! WOOHOO!

December 22, 2008- All 3 NOA1's received

January 5, 2009- I-485 transferred to CSC. Here's hoping for no interview!

January 14, 2009- Biometrics

February 23, 2009- EAD and AP received in the mail, dated Feb 14th.

April 23, 2009- Welcome to the United States Letter arrives. Card to follow.

June 1, 2009- GC received in mail. Approval date 04/09/09

Done with USCIS until 04/2011!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

COOOOOONNNNNNNNNGRATS ATEAM!!!!!!!!! i knew it'd be easy for you two :)

i miss edmonton :(

Edited by David_n_Amber

k-1

I-129F Sent : 2007-04-28

I-129F NOA1 :2007-06-05

I-129F NOA2 :2007-11-28

NVC Received : 2007-12-20

NVC Left :2007-12-27 (due to holidays tongue.png)

Consulate Received :2007/12/28

Packet 3 Received :2008-01-07

Packet 3 Sent :2008-01-07

Medical Exam: 2008-01-24

Packet 4 Received :2008-01-14

Interview Date :2008-02-11---APPROVEDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!

Visa Received :2008-02-13

US Entry : 2008-02-20

Church Marriage : 2008-05-03

POE @ Edmonton International Airport: 2008-02-20

Courthouse marriage: 2008-02-26

ROC

ROC Filed with CSC: 2010-04-13

NOA1 recieved in mail dated: 2010-04-15

Biometrics Appointment: 2010-05-17

Approval Notice: 2010-08-03

Card Received: 2010-08-13

N-400:

N-400 sent 2013-12-02

NOA:|12/09/13|

BIOMETRICS:|12/27/13|

IN-LINE for INTERVIEW 12/31/13

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Well, hold on folks, this is going to be a long one! :P

As you know, we had to do things the backwards way. This meant getting here on Monday night, doing the interview on Tuesday, and then the medical on Wednesday!

So, I flew in to Vancouver on Monday night, while Andrew flew up to Seattle and then drove the rest of the way to meet me. We stayed at the Radisson hotel, which was very nice! You might wonder why I'm telling you about the hotel, but you'll see!

We got up early on Tuesday morning, checked out of the hotel and made our way into Vancouver. We parked near the Consulate and then walked around downtown, looking for a place to go eat. I highly recommend Urban Rush. It's a gourmet grocery store/cafeteria style restaurant. It was some of the best food that we had during our stay. It was a block down from West Pender and Hastings I think. I'm not sure the exact directions, but google it! :P

Anyhow, we went for our interview, and I realize that I should have left my coat in the car. It was a bit of a hassle to take everything out of the pockets, and carry it all around. You have to go through two security check points so make sure you don't put everything BACK in your pockets! Anyhow, I didn't bring any electronics, or my purse or anything, so that was good! We got up to the interview room, after the second security checkpoint. It's kind of neat, after the first checkpoint you go up a flight of stairs where you tell the officer you're there for your K visa appointment. He pushes the up button on the elevator and when it opens, scans his card so you can access the 20th floor. When you get up there you do a second checkpoint, after which he opens the locked door and lets you into the room. Before he let us into the room though, he called ahead to let them know that we were there.

After waiting a little bit we were called to the first window. While waiting I was really nervous. At the first window, A, she asked for my paperwork in a certain order. We did all of that, and we got to the last piece, the medical. I told her I didn't have it and for a second she looked at me like "WHAT?!", and then asked me what I meant. I produced the email saying that I could have the medical the day AFTER the medical, and she said alright, as long as I knew I'd have to bring the results back the next day. I said that I did and she told me that I'd have my fingerprints taken at window 1 and then I'd have my interview at window 4, and asked us to sit down.

We sat down and started talking. I felt MUCH better at that point. There was another couple doing a K1 visa as well. They were in their late 40's I'd say and were doing everything just a step in front of us. Other than that, there was no one else in there. Anyhow, I did my fingerprints, which were super easy and then sat down again. Just as the other couple were starting their interview, another couple came through the door. The room is pretty small there, and they don't actually have rooms, just windows, so if you talk in a regular voice, even a whisper you can hear everything.

The couple were having their interview, and then the other couple was talking to an officer. We could simultaneously hear both conversations at once. The interview for the one couple was going smoothly. There were a few hitches. The interviewer paused a little when the lady said she was already living in the States with her niece. She also had trouble when the interviewer asked if she'd ever had trouble crossing the border and she said no. They obviously had had trouble cause the interviewer could see whatever the border crossing agent had written about it. It took a few minutes but the couple eventually elaborated. Obviously it wasn't a huge issue as they were approved. Apparently they had driven in from the States for a day, and wanted to know how she would cross the border without her passport. The interviewer told her she couldn't cross, and she'd better stay overnight!

The other couple were more complicated. It sounded like the man was the USC and the wife was down in Seattle on a TN visa. They got married and were looking into the process of filing the I-130 when they came up to Vancouver/Canada on a visit. When they tried to get back through the border to go home, the wife was denied as they were married and she didn't have a greencard etc. Boy did I ever feel bad for them. The officer told them what we all know, that the wife would have to remain here and they'd have to apply for her visa. How sad.

Our interview was very straightforward. She asked how we met and when, when we first met in person, when we got engaged, what I did for a living, if I intended to work when I got to the States, what he did for a living, and how much money he made. Then we talked about the medical and she said that everything was fine except that I needed the medical. She gave me a piece of paper that allowed me back into the Consulate the next day to return with that information and that was it, 2 hours later.

We went to check into our hotel, The Inn at False Creek, after that. It was TERRIBLE! It looked awful, but that I can deal with! The problem was that whatever they used to clean that place was SO strong I had a headache within 5 minutes. Needless to say, we hightailed it out of there. Then we had a problem. Where were we going to stay? Well, 4 hours of driving around later, we decided to stay out by the airport again, at the Richmond Inn, a Best Western. That was a great hotel! The problem was it meant that we had to be up by 5 to get into Vancouver for my medical at 6:15. That was a LONG day! It started off locking the keys in the trunk! YIKES! Thank goodness the car was unlocked!

We got to the medical, and had a little trouble finding reasonable parking at that hour. I'll post a link in another thread, but we found good parking only a block away for $8 for the whole day. The medical was very straightforward. I gave them my paperwork, they sent me for a quick blood test, then a quick x-ray, and then a quick doctor visit. He didn't ask my hardly any questions, just checked my eyes, listened to me breathe, and checked my reflexes. They also did my height and weight! NO problem! Oh, and I didn't have to have the HPV shot. They said that it was so new that the government isn't quite enforcing it yet. Since I didn't want it, they marked Contraindicated on the vaccine sheet for me! YAY! I was all done the medical by 9 am. We were back there at 1:45, had the results by 2:10 and were at the consulate to drop them off by 2:15.

I ran in there, with nothing other than my passport, my letter, and my medical. I waited about 15 minutes for someone to see me. She opened my medical envelope, looked it over for a few seconds, and said everything was fine. She took my passport and told me to come back the next day at 2 and pick up my visa! YAY! APPROVED!

So, after that we checked into the Pan Pacific Hotel on the waterfront. Man it was AMAZING! That was definitely the best night! 4 hotels in 3 nights! What a wild ride!

So, that brings us to today. We got to the Consulate, picked up my visa, and now here I am waiting at the airport for my flight! The visa package is in my carry on bag, my passport is in my purse, and I'm worried that I'm going to lose it! ~giggles~

I'll be flying home to Edmonton tonight, getting rid of the rest of my belongings tomorrow, and then flying home to be with my baby on Saturday afternoon! I'm SO excited!

Congrats!!!!!! :thumbs: Now comes the fun part. :lol:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats!! I think I stayed at that best western!! Our flight from halifax to vancouver to comox was delayed in Halifax, so we missed our Comox portion, so on DND's expense we stayed there!! Drank many a beer that night,lol Congrats!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Thanks for the congrats guys! I'm SO glad that the "hard part" is over. At least we'll be together for the next part! I neglected to mention in my review that I missed my first flight to Vancouver because of Alberta's wonderful weather on Monday! Thank goodness that I wasn't taking the last flight out! YIKES! I'm almost done now! I'll be flying out to Boise on Saturday afternoon! YAY!

I-129F

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

AOS

Congrats! You will have to tell us later about your POE. Mine is going to be edmonton too. Good luck and I wish you all the best. I am getting excited my interview is on Monday.

AOS

Filed AOS............................October 17/08

NO1 for AOS,EAD, AP............October 31/08

Biometrics letter....................November 7/08

AOS sent to California.............................November 11/2008

Biometrics Appointment in York...............November 28/2008

AP Approved.............................................December 23/2008

EAD Card Received....................................January 3/2009

AP Received (I-512L)..................................January 5/2009

AOS Pending...............................................January 23/2009

AOS Approved, card on order will receive in 3 weeks..............March 10/2009

GREEN CARD RECIEVED MARCH 12/2009

ROC

VERMONT RECEIVED............................................DECEMBER 20/2010

NOA1 1 YEAR EXTENTION APPROVAL..............................DECEMBER 27/2010

RECIEVED BIOMETRICS APP.....................................JANUARY 7/2011

BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT......................................JANUARY 21/2011

APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...................................MAY 9/2011

CARD WITHIN 60 DAYS

Congratulations my dear friend!

I've enjoyed talking on MSN all throughout your journey and I'm so proud and happy for you and Andrew.

Have a safe trip home.

Thanks for being here during my journey too, you've helped me so much.

Love you girl

~Laura

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Did they keep your pictures or even look at them?

AOS

Filed AOS............................October 17/08

NO1 for AOS,EAD, AP............October 31/08

Biometrics letter....................November 7/08

AOS sent to California.............................November 11/2008

Biometrics Appointment in York...............November 28/2008

AP Approved.............................................December 23/2008

EAD Card Received....................................January 3/2009

AP Received (I-512L)..................................January 5/2009

AOS Pending...............................................January 23/2009

AOS Approved, card on order will receive in 3 weeks..............March 10/2009

GREEN CARD RECIEVED MARCH 12/2009

ROC

VERMONT RECEIVED............................................DECEMBER 20/2010

NOA1 1 YEAR EXTENTION APPROVAL..............................DECEMBER 27/2010

RECIEVED BIOMETRICS APP.....................................JANUARY 7/2011

BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT......................................JANUARY 21/2011

APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...................................MAY 9/2011

CARD WITHIN 60 DAYS

Timeline

That was the other thing I forgot to add into my review. At the very end of the interview she asked us if we had any pictures to show her. I pulled out my pictures and showed them. She picked the one with my puppy and said that was her favorite. She didn't keep anything though. She gave everything back, except for the copies of my certificates!

I-129F

February 5, 2008- NOA2!

April 23, 2008- Medical

AOS

Timeline

Conratulations!!!!!!

I am so thrilled for you both!!!

P.S.

Just to update....we have 2 weeks till the wedding!!!!!!!!!!

May 5-sent I129f to Texas and they forwarded to CSC

May 11-priority date according to NOA1 on Hard Copy

May 14-received by CSC...notice sent (never received)

May 15-money order cashed

July 19-called about Hard copy..said they would resend

July 23-lawyer calls and is told application is lost and to resend application

July 25-sent a duplicate application to Texas and it is forwarded to VSC

July 27-called again...said they would resend from CSC

July 31/aug.3/aug.6 "touches"

Aug. 16 received the NOA1 from VSC for duplicate application

Aug. 16-called about Hard Copy...said that they would resend (3rd time) from CSC

Aug. 17-"touch"

Aug. 19-FINALLY RECEIVED THE NOA1 HARD COPY for original application from CSC

October-19-CRIS sent message that they were moving our application to VSC?!?!?

(seems USCIS sent our first application to the wrong center)

November-16 origianl is at the VSC

Dec. 3-congressmans office calls VSC...will be processed by July application date

Feb. 6-APPROVED!!!!

Feb. 7 sent to NVC

Feb. 13 sent to MONTREAL...WRONG EMBASSY!!!!!!! SUPPOSED TO BE VANCOUVER!!!!!!!

Feb. 14 arrived in MONTREAL

Feb. 20 talked to NVC center....supervisor will try to "catch" the application call back in 10-15 days

Feb. 29...talked to the State Department (Visa)...they had NVC send cable today to Montreal instructing them to send packet to VanCouver

March 4...K visa application received at VanCouver

March 6 packet 3 ARRIVED

March 10 packet 3 checklist and DS230 faxed back

March 12 medical exam

March 20 packet 4 received

April 8....interview date

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats to you, and good luck on the move. And your right the hard part is going to be over since you will be together for the next part. :thumbs:

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.