diana9199

Bringing over 21 child to the US.

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My son(30 yrs) wants to move to California with me. I am a PR married to a US citizen. Can he reside with me and do the paperwork and what type of paperwork? My son's daughter and her mother live with me. They both are Native American and were able to come here from Canada without any paperwork. Who would be best to sponsor my son to come live with his daughter and family? Myself or his daughter(5yrs old) or the child's mom? He does not want to be split up from his family and would like to come here asap. What is the best and fastest way to come live here? Paperwork or finally marry his daughter's mom? My daughter also would like to move out here and she is 27. I wish they did not make it so hard for the children of PR's no matter the age to live with or near the mother or father. I hope I did not confuse anyone, but we are just trying to figure out the best way for him to be with his daughter and family in a very short time span.

Thanks

Diana

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

bumping topic

hi, i also have this same problem, my mum has just passed her NCLEX-RN exam and is not far from getting her green card, the problem i have is i'm already 22 and when my mum leaves i will have no where to live as she will be selling her house, i know about the I-130 form, but the 7+ year waiting time is too long and i'll have nothing left in the UK for me when she leaves.

so is there a way that i can go with her and apply over in the US, i know i won't be working til i have my own green card so there must be someway of allowing me to go with my mum quick

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

When talking about speed, family based options are limited to non-existent for adult children other than the long procedural I-130...

FYI - A 5 year old cannot petition for a parent...

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Diana,

I think the best way would be for you to become a US citizen and petition your son and daughter. Or your son's wife can become a US citizen and petition him, which actually would be the faster route for him.

Rukia,

Unfortunately, there's no easy way for this one. The fastest route would be for your mother to become a US citizen in either 3-5 years and then send a petition for you.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline

Been going around in circles on this issue with my immigration attorney, wife has a 26 year old son in Venezuela we can't even get him up here as a visitor for a couple of weeks as he doesn't own property. The US Consulate in Venezuela is overly strict on this matter and want to make damn sure he has good reason to go back. Shame they are not doing anything about those 20 million illegals crossing the border. Even suggested he built a raft and float across as I heard they were giving Cubans permanent residency by using that approach.

One approach would be for him to apply for a student visa if accepted, but he doesn't want to leave his girl for that long. As a US citizen, I can't do a damn thing as he is my step kid, not one of those natural born ones. The other way is to let my wife apply for a I-130 after she gets her US citizenship, but if he marries that gal, and she is a honey, already met her, he would have to leave her behind until he became a US citizen.

So for now, provided that Chavez doesn't declare war against the USA, we can go down and visit him. He is a great kid, never had a caring father, appreciates the deep love his mother and I have for each other, and I really like him.

What I fear is Chavez could draft him into his army and we will be shooting at him rather than that #######, Chavez. Makes me wonder why these nuts become our leaders, and do we really need leaders in the first place? A democracy is suppose to be a form of government where the majority of it's people form the rules and laws, but that never seems to happen quite that way. Who made these rules regarding immigration and concern about our loved ones, can bet a cup of coffee it certainly was not you or me.

Even I was put into a position as an 18 year kid by this country where I was suppose to kill another dumb 18 year old kid. Seemed right at the time, but doesn't seem right now, especially when the leaders can hide in a safe place. That isn't right either and not what the father's of our constitution wanted. George Washington led his own battles for our freedom. This can be and was a great country.

Filed: Timeline
My son(30 yrs) wants to move to California with me. I am a PR married to a US citizen. Can he reside with me and do the paperwork and what type of paperwork? My son's daughter and her mother live with me. They both are Native American and were able to come here from Canada without any paperwork. Who would be best to sponsor my son to come live with his daughter and family? Myself or his daughter(5yrs old) or the child's mom? He does not want to be split up from his family and would like to come here asap. What is the best and fastest way to come live here? Paperwork or finally marry his daughter's mom? My daughter also would like to move out here and she is 27. I wish they did not make it so hard for the children of PR's no matter the age to live with or near the mother or father. I hope I did not confuse anyone, but we are just trying to figure out the best way for him to be with his daughter and family in a very short time span.

Thanks

Diana

If your son were to marry the mother of his child (she has PR status, I believe) she could petition her spouse (he'd be second prefence, subject to priority date). Looks like there'd be a wait of at least 5 years. Alternatively, if marriage to the mother of his child is not in the cards, you could petition him now as an LPR, and upgrade petition when you naturalise.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Timeline

Looks like there'd be a wait of at least 5 years.

That sounds just about right plus another year or so for the I-130 application. Probably wouldn't be so bad if our life spans weren't so short. Even with a 100 year life span, still will spend 6+% of it waiting.

Does the USCIS make any exceptions even for a visa in case of an accident or disease that is a near death situation? So her son can come up and see her one last time? Or are they heartless in this respect?

That sounds just about right plus another year or so for the I-130 application. Probably wouldn't be so bad if our life spans weren't so short. Even with a 100 year life span, still will spend 6+% of it waiting.

Does the USCIS make any exceptions even for a visa in case of an accident or disease that is a near death situation? So her son can come up and see her one last time? Or are they heartless in this respect?

Kez's adult children were given B2 visa to come and spend the last 4 months with her before she died, as were her parents. The Boston office and the London Embassy were very good and everything was delt with quickly and with understanding and sympathy.

Jon

From the way I read this post it appears the son is in Canada. I am not aware of any prohibition to permitting a Canadian resident to visit the US. Now living here without the proper status is a whole different affair.

Kez's adult children were given B2 visa to come and spend the last 4 months with her before she died, as were her parents. The Boston office and the London Embassy were very good and everything was delt with quickly and with understanding and sympathy.

Jon

Jon,

Nice to see you on here! Hope the days are getting easier for you. :)

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.