w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Food Rationing in America

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. — Many parts of America, long considered the breadbasket of the world, are now confronting a once unthinkable phenomenon: food rationing.

Major retailers in New York, in areas of New England, and on the West Coast are limiting purchases of flour, rice, and cooking oil as demand outstrips supply. There are also anecdotal reports that some consumers are hoarding grain stocks.

At a Costco Warehouse in Mountain View, Calif., yesterday, shoppers grew frustrated and occasionally uttered expletives as they searched in vain for the large sacks of rice they usually buy.

"Due to the limited availability of rice, we are limiting rice purchases based on your prior purchasing history," a sign above the dwindling supply said.

Shoppers said the limits had been in place for a few days, and that rice supplies had been spotty for a few weeks. A store manager referred questions to officials at Costco headquarters near Seattle, who did not return calls or e-mail messages yesterday.

An employee at the Costco store in Queens said there were no restrictions on rice buying, but limits were being imposed on purchases of oil and flour.

For now, rice is available at Asian markets in California, though consumers have fewer choices when buying the largest bags. “At our neighborhood store, it’s very expensive, more than $30” for a 25-pound bag, a housewife from Mountain View, Theresa Esquerra, said. “I’m not going to pay $30. Maybe we’ll just eat bread.”

http://nysun.com/news/food-rationing-confr...eadbasket-world

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Sucks when most of your diet is based on rice.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

have a steak based diet

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: Other Timeline
have a steak based diet

I figure you were joking, but one problem: most cows eat corn, which is also going up in price.

I'm waiting for the riots in Kathmandu.... my husband's family eats more rice than I have ever seen, ald I grew up in Hawaii...There were demonstrations a couple of times in the last few years when the gov't raised fule prices. I wonder if the gov't is keeping rice prices down to maintain peace during the election and transition period?? I wonder if Nepal grows enough rice to supply their own needs, seeing that India has stopped exports... :unsure:

thkirby-1.gifpetblink46.gif
BuddhaEyesGlobe.gif1433707c1j51myzp6.gif

Filed: Timeline
I wonder if Nepal grows enough rice to supply their own needs...

Unlikely. And that's even with the heavy and steady (over the last few decades) migraton (undocumented, of course :jest:) of Nepalese out of Nepal and into India and Bhutan. Imagine if they had to suddenly go back...........

Edited by VJ Troll

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
have a steak based diet

I figure you were joking, but one problem: most cows eat corn, which is also going up in price.

Well you can always ration the feed and mix it with processed bits of other cows. Like they did in Britain in the 1980's ;)

soylent green////

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Why not both during the holidays?

good point..and since today is Earth Days.....then.....green it is..May day...red..

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

eat goat meat then.. goats eat whatever.. or rabbit, or hare, or quail... but, steak, that's the solution

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: Other Timeline
I wonder if Nepal grows enough rice to supply their own needs...

Unlikely. And that's even with the heavy and steady (over the last few decades) migraton (undocumented, of course :jest:) of Nepalese out of Nepal and into India and Bhutan. Imagine if they had to suddenly go back...........

Also into the Gulf states and Western countries, and even quite a few working as cooks, etc. in Lhasa... KTM is supposed to be one of the fastest growing cities in the next 20 years, and that's counting on current population patterns - if the migrants had to come back, oy vey.... :unsure:

thkirby-1.gifpetblink46.gif
BuddhaEyesGlobe.gif1433707c1j51myzp6.gif

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Sucks when most of your diet is based on rice.

Eat cake.

You say that like it is a bad thing!

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip