happilycontent

Drivers License

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I feel like I'm 16 years old all over again. Apparently WA state does not accept a Canadian drivers license.. So, I have to take the knowledge and road test here.. haha. NOt a big deal.. I passed the knowledge test easy, and have my road test on the 28th of this month, but gosh it's just so weird.. Weird to allow us as visitors to drive in the state or country yet not allow us to surrender ours and get a state DL.. weird.. :bonk: So did you guys have to do the same thing? Or is it just this state.. I seriously thought when we were in VA that they accepted it, just had to chang eit over and surrender... Anyone?

N-400
05/30/2013 Sent N-400 package to AZ lockbox via USPS priority mail with delivery confirmation
06/14/2013 Biometrics letter received
06/17/2013 Early Biometrics

06/19/2013 In line for interview
08/08/2013 Scheduled for interview
08/13/2013 Received interview letter
09/16/2013 Interview (Passed)

10/25/2013 Scheduled for oath

10/29/2013 Received oath letter

11/15/2013 Oath

ROC Process I-751
1/12/2010 Sent I-751 package to CSC via USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation
1/25/2010 Received NOA1
2/04/2010 Received Biometrics Letter
3/29/2010 Approved. Card Production ordered.
4/03/2010 Card Received! (Total: 81 days)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

Non-Americans have to redo all of the driving tests - written, eye and driving- to get a Driver's License in Georgia too. I had to do them all and turn over my Ontario Driver's License in order to get my Georgia license as well - it is illegal to have more than one DL in your possession at one time.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Non-Americans have to redo all of the driving tests - written, eye and driving- to get a Driver's License in Georgia too. I had to do them all and turn over my Ontario Driver's License in order to get my Georgia license as well - it is illegal to have more than one DL in your possession at one time.

I am also moving to Washington state and not looking forward to having to do my written and road test either. 28 years of bad habits!!!!! My husband says I will have to watch out for those "califorian stops" lol

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

had to have the written and road test here in Cali too.. and I was supposed to surrender my Canadian DL too.. but the lady asked for it and wrote something down off of it and handed it back to me and I said are yo sure I am supposed to get this back and she said yup... :blink:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

First off, it depends what state you are moving in. Some will just do the transfer with no other requirements, some will require only a written test (like in Illinois) and some will make you do it all. It's really a state specific thing.

And I thought it was only illegal to have DL from 2 different states, not from 2 different countries? :blink:

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Timeline

You were right in VA it is just to give them your Canadian one and get a VA one. Although they are very strict on the documentation they will accept in order to do the exchange. I am sure you will do fine on your driving portion since you did on your written.

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Nothing "UNITED" in the United States of America. All differ. in VA just a simple 1 for 1 exchange, and I kept all my motorcycle endorsement as well, was to easy. Nothing like seeing Armed security in a DMV,lol free world baby!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Nope I just handed my drivers licence in at the mall DMV, took a quick eye test, came back 10 mins later and ta-da my new 8 year licence. No written or driving tests. Of course this was 10 years back, so things might have changed. I didn't have to show my passport or anything and it was in the middle of the mall in a booth (which they no longer do)...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I had to go through the written and driving exam here in Louisiana. I just went a few days ago.

It was a hellish ordeal, but I got it and it is done.

They did not ask for my Canadian License, so I still have it.

Edited by MissStacey

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Nothing "UNITED" in the United States of America. All differ. in VA just a simple 1 for 1 exchange, and I kept all my motorcycle endorsement as well, was to easy. Nothing like seeing Armed security in a DMV,lol free world baby!!

They way the folks at the DMV act sometimes, I'm not surprised that they're not behind bulletproof glass. :lol: Texas DPS gave me the choice, so I kept my Ontario DL. Maine is the same.

Edited by IR5FORMUMSIE

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Hi! I just went through the process of getting my WA driver's license. I think it is commonly believed in Washington that us Canadians don't know how to drive. I was talking to a woman sitting beside me in the DMV and when I told her that I had to take a road test, she said, "well, you guys need to learn how to drive properly." Then she had the nerve to try to continue a conversation with me. I was so mad. They are quite lenient on the road test. I think they are much more stringent in BC. Best of luck on your road test!

Timeline
Hi! I just went through the process of getting my WA driver's license. I think it is commonly believed in Washington that us Canadians don't know how to drive. I was talking to a woman sitting beside me in the DMV and when I told her that I had to take a road test, she said, "well, you guys need to learn how to drive properly." Then she had the nerve to try to continue a conversation with me. I was so mad. They are quite lenient on the road test. I think they are much more stringent in BC. Best of luck on your road test!

HAHA :rofl: that's funny, because I think the same thing of WA state drivers.. Even before I moved here from Vancouver. Every time I saw a WA plate, I automatically thought "oh boy, here we go another really bad driver"

My road test is on Wednesday.. I heard it's only a 10 minute test.. I hear ya on the years of "bad driving" I thought to myself.. do I even know how to drive according to the drivers book? I mean I don't know about you guys but I don't even drive with 2 hands on the steering wheel. unless it's windy or something like that.. ;)

YES! we used to live in VA and they said I could just surrender my license and get a VA license... is that because they're a commonwealth state? anyhow, it's somewhat ridiculous considering how our rules are pretty much the same yet someone from say the Philippines can go to FLA and just take the written and be done with itand have their license.. haha

omg, what if I failed that would be hilarious! :no:

N-400
05/30/2013 Sent N-400 package to AZ lockbox via USPS priority mail with delivery confirmation
06/14/2013 Biometrics letter received
06/17/2013 Early Biometrics

06/19/2013 In line for interview
08/08/2013 Scheduled for interview
08/13/2013 Received interview letter
09/16/2013 Interview (Passed)

10/25/2013 Scheduled for oath

10/29/2013 Received oath letter

11/15/2013 Oath

ROC Process I-751
1/12/2010 Sent I-751 package to CSC via USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation
1/25/2010 Received NOA1
2/04/2010 Received Biometrics Letter
3/29/2010 Approved. Card Production ordered.
4/03/2010 Card Received! (Total: 81 days)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

HAHA :rofl: that's funny, because I think the same thing of WA state drivers.. Even before I moved here from Vancouver. Every time I saw a WA plate, I automatically thought "oh boy, here we go another really bad driver"

My road test is on Wednesday.. I heard it's only a 10 minute test.. I hear ya on the years of "bad driving" I thought to myself.. do I even know how to drive according to the drivers book? I mean I don't know about you guys but I don't even drive with 2 hands on the steering wheel. unless it's windy or something like that.. ;)

YES! we used to live in VA and they said I could just surrender my license and get a VA license... is that because they're a commonwealth state? anyhow, it's somewhat ridiculous considering how our rules are pretty much the same yet someone from say the Philippines can go to FLA and just take the written and be done with itand have their license.. haha

omg, what if I failed that would be hilarious! :no:

a few little things I can think of that they look for:

Seatbelt on as soon as you get in the car

Looking behind you before backing out

Shoulder checking when changing lanes

2 second rule- not following too close

stay below speed limit- especially in a residential area

coming to a complete stop at a stop sign and stopping before the line

don't take corners too fast

at red lights, keep a good distance between you and the car in front of you

She gave me the sheet that she was filling out while I was doing the driving test, I only glanced at it quickly before they took it back.

-

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.