Karaoke

K-3: was is smart?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

I have been doing some thinking about the K-3... Perhaps we should have not filed for it. After reading the AOS procedure, I almost threw up... It is as bad as I-130 abd I-129F!

We filed for K-3 because we think that it might be considerably faster than CR-1 (2-3 months faster, discounting the NVC process), but now I almost wish that the rumors about VSC not processing K-3s are right... So far I only got 3 touches on the K-3, about 3 weeks after NOA1... Perhaps my K-3 is proceeding, and the I-130 is not... :(

A question about RFE: if you get one, at what stage you get it? Only after the adjudicator picks up your forms? I mean, if A and B file at the same time and get adjudicated at the same time, will then a get an approval (say after 6 months) and B gets RFE at the same time, or they check the forms BEFORE final approval, so that b will get the RFE before A gets the approval, and if speedy in its information submission, he can catch up with A again?

We are not even 2 months into the process and I am already going bonkers.. I hope to get a NOA2 for whichever in the next 2 months!

Filed: Other Timeline

If an RFE were to be sent to you (and I wouldn't worry about it unless it actually happens) it won't happen until your file has been assigned to an adjudicator, so there is no way of knowing how many weeks or months along in the process it would happen.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Hey Charisma,

We all know how frustrating the waiting for the visa can get, especially when seeing all these people before us that have already been waiting for so long.

However, it's not because the K-3's have been problematic for the past 9-6 months due to the backlogs, that USCIS won't pick it up again in the next months!

You're saying only three touches on your I-129F in three weeks since NOA1. That isn't bad at all, is it though?

And AOS process will indeed be an extra step. But so would be sending all the documents to NVC for the immigration visa, let alone waiting months longer at NVC. Plus AOS it can't be that much more tricky than the ones we already completed for the I-130 and I-129F. And, at least you'll be together with your husband in the meantime.

Maybe look on the plusside: you'll have a little bit more time to enjoy and friends and family and Europe (though of course I don't feel much better either when someone mentions that to me)?

After we just got married, filed for the visa, and we saw the time difference between K-1 and K-3 (IR was/is not an option for us), i felt slightly sick to my stomach too, but no sense in regretting the past, so hang in there!

Website US Department of State, Consular Affairs Bureau: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1339.html

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

I debated between the K-3/IR-1 myself after we submitted the I-130. After looking at the time lines, it didn't make a whole lot of sense to me to file the I-129F. It didn't appear all that faster. In the long run, it actually seems longer to go the K-3 path and definitely more expensive to get from initial filing to the end (work authorization, ssn, etc). Overall, it seems worthwhile to put in a couple extra months at the front end to get a 10 year unconditional green card (we qualify for the IR-1) for my husband and be done with the government intrusion on our lives than to have him get here and spend more time jerking around with USCIS to apply for EAD and all that other #######. Moreover, having waited over 100 days just for the NOA-1, it seemed like going backwards to then file a I-129F.

My blog

10/01/2005: Married in Toronto

02/15/2006: Began Canadian Immigration

09/19/2007: Withdrew CIC application (they still hadn't processed anything)

10/01/2007: Moved back to U.S.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IR-1 application through Montreal Consulate

10/26/2007: I-130 mailed to CA Service Center

10/29/2007: USPS confirmation of receipt of I-130

02/13/2008: NOA-1 received (107 days)

07/02/2008: I-130 approved

07/22/2008: AOS filed including EAD and AP

07/25/2008: NOA-1s for all 3 received

08/20/2008: Biometrics appointment

08/22/2008: Received RFE for Affadivit of Support and Medical

10/21/2008: Submitted I-865W in lieu of co-sponsor and medical info to NSC

11/14/2008: online case status not updated since filing of AOS in July 2008

01/20/2009: Received another RFE for Affadavit of Support Info

02/02/2009: Responded to RFE with brand new AOS based on 2008 tax return (if that doesn't shut them up, dunno what will)

02/19/2009: EAD card received in mail (no updates on Online Case Status ever made)

02/23/2009: AP received (again, no online updates)

02/26/2009: Received interview appointment letter for 4/6/09

04/06/2009: AOS approved for unconditional GC

04/21/2009: GC received

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
I debated between the K-3/IR-1 myself after we submitted the I-130. After looking at the time lines, it didn't make a whole lot of sense to me to file the I-129F. It didn't appear all that faster. In the long run, it actually seems longer to go the K-3 path and definitely more expensive to get from initial filing to the end (work authorization, ssn, etc). Overall, it seems worthwhile to put in a couple extra months at the front end to get a 10 year unconditional green card (we qualify for the IR-1) for my husband and be done with the government intrusion on our lives than to have him get here and spend more time jerking around with USCIS to apply for EAD and all that other #######. Moreover, having waited over 100 days just for the NOA-1, it seemed like going backwards to then file a I-129F.

delicias i saw you created a k1 stat page (very nice of you), could be too much work for you to get update on the k3 visas for that stat page? Will be a loooot of people who will apreciate this from you . Thank you in advance

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

delicias i saw you created a k1 stat page (very nice of you), could be too much work for you to get update on the k3 visas for that stat page? Will be a loooot of people who will apreciate this from you . Thank you in advance

Actually, my page is for IR-1/CR-1 filers, not K-1. I am reluctant to start a K-3 page as it would just be too time consuming.

My blog

10/01/2005: Married in Toronto

02/15/2006: Began Canadian Immigration

09/19/2007: Withdrew CIC application (they still hadn't processed anything)

10/01/2007: Moved back to U.S.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IR-1 application through Montreal Consulate

10/26/2007: I-130 mailed to CA Service Center

10/29/2007: USPS confirmation of receipt of I-130

02/13/2008: NOA-1 received (107 days)

07/02/2008: I-130 approved

07/22/2008: AOS filed including EAD and AP

07/25/2008: NOA-1s for all 3 received

08/20/2008: Biometrics appointment

08/22/2008: Received RFE for Affadivit of Support and Medical

10/21/2008: Submitted I-865W in lieu of co-sponsor and medical info to NSC

11/14/2008: online case status not updated since filing of AOS in July 2008

01/20/2009: Received another RFE for Affadavit of Support Info

02/02/2009: Responded to RFE with brand new AOS based on 2008 tax return (if that doesn't shut them up, dunno what will)

02/19/2009: EAD card received in mail (no updates on Online Case Status ever made)

02/23/2009: AP received (again, no online updates)

02/26/2009: Received interview appointment letter for 4/6/09

04/06/2009: AOS approved for unconditional GC

04/21/2009: GC received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We went through the same feelings not knowing which path to take. I tried to leave both doors open and filed both I-130 and I-129F but following USCIS's own instructions marked very clearly several times on our I-130 that we were pursuing CR-1 visa even though we were also filing an I-129F.

Really we wanted the CR-1 but I was worried about which path would go faster and also seen people who had just filed I-130 that seemed to be stuck...that's why I tried to file it so both paths would be opened.

Anyway, when they approved both forms, they completely ignored all my requests that we wanted to pursue CR-1 visa (which I was following their own instructions on this)...they only forwarded our I-129F on and sent the I-130 to the archives awaiting later adjustment of status. We were a little unhappy because the CR-1 path seemed so much cleaner and we had already prepared documents for doing this, etc. but at this point there was not really a good choice but to follow the K3.

I had called a few times about re-activating the CR-1 path but having them retrieve the I-130 but after them telling me it could be severely delayed I realized we were dancing on the edge of visa hell and decided not to fight them and just follow K3/Adjustment of Status path.

Anyway, looking back, I'm happy overall that we did this. My wife and I were able to be together in the USA about 2-3 months sooner than we would have by following the CR-1 path. (Note: the money was not an issue for us though...just being together more quickly was the most important). AOS was a little bit of a pain, but really it's about the same amount of work as following the CR-1 path...you just are able to be together while waiting.

I can also tell you that it was really hard for us being apart the last few months...the additional wait for CR-1 would have REALLY been tough for us. Contrast this with the fact that while we have been waiting for Adjustment of Status we've been having a great time and don't really even care about the wait at all. We did the required steps while waiting and it was no big deal and our AOS interview will be tomorrow. The most important thing is we've started our lives together and have had 5 incredible months so far. Overall, the K3 visa/AOS path ended up being much better.

I think overall, with USCIS being the way it is, you can never really know for sure what path is the best or will let you be together more quickly. They operate in too much of a random fashion and whenever you think you have figured out their behavior and/or have an edge...they change again.

My advice would be to compare the times for K1, K3, CR-1/IR-1 for your specific situation and weight that against your goals (being together more quickly or saving money, etc.)

Hope this helps some and I wish everyone the best of luck!!!

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

thanks for your post! Made me feel a bit better!!

I just need to find something to do for the next 2 months that keeps me away from checking everyday for an approval that will not come any time soon! When we start seeing the first January filers' approvals, I think I'll get very very fidgety even if I am only early March...

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
thanks for your post! Made me feel a bit better!!

I just need to find something to do for the next 2 months that keeps me away from checking everyday for an approval that will not come any time soon! When we start seeing the first January filers' approvals, I think I'll get very very fidgety even if I am only early March...

Charisma1, I really liked LvivLovers comments, it hits the nail on the head. I would add to her comments, that if you are feeling a lot of anxiety, which is understandable, you should consider taking a break from VJ. I went through a period of extreme bitterness over the long wait, and checking this site only made me more anxious because I saw many people getting approval before me that filed after me. It only made the wait harder on me. Many of my posts on here reflected that. In fact many of my posts were ANTI-K3. And very negative. This wait is going to take as long as it takes. And no amount of anxiety or calling USCIS is going to change it. Trust me. My congressman was calling every Monday on my behalf, I opened an inquiry through DHS. I got mad a LOT. None of it made anything move faster. It only made me a bad person to be around. So just take a break from this site for a few weeks if you need to, because honestly, it can be harmful to your optimism. Just know that eventually you will get your approval. I feel your pain I really do. I just got my approval today for both the I-130 and the K3. And I filed in JULY 2007!

Good luck!

View our personal blog

Our timeline:

2007-06-25 Married in Brazil

I-130

2007-07-16 Filed I-130 with Nebraska

2007-07-27 NOA1 received

2007-07-28 Touched; no idea why..

2008-01-29 thru 02-01,03 Touched

2008-02-05 Called RFE line, was told my app is on HOLD because I CALLED TOO MUCH!!!!

2008-02-13 my app was assigned to an adjudicator

2008-02-19,20,25,26 Touched

2008-03-04 Congressman called; USCIS called him and told him my cases were being processed any day now... SERÁ??

2008-03-04,05,10,11,12,13,14,17,18 Touched

2008-03-28 Received RFE, dated the 18th (delayed 10 days to receive)

2008-04-08 Sent requested evidence

2008-04-11,13,14 Touched

2008-04-21 RECEIVED NOA2 APPROVAL!!! (Date shows 4-14)

I-129

2007-09-19 Filed I-129F/K3; sent directly to CSC

2007-09-21 NOA1 received

2007-09-25 Touched: Filing fee waived

2008-01-30 thru 02-01,03,04,05,10,11,13,14 Touched

2008-04-14 Touched

2008-04-21 RECEIVED NOA2 APPROVAL!!! (Date shows 4-14)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.