applewow

good time to apply for SSN

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Uzbekistan
Timeline

I was reading somewhere that good time to apply for SSN is after 2-3 weeks since you arrived to US...Also that we have to apply for SSN before we got married and after marriage apply for a new SSN...I dont quit understand...Isd it okay to apply for SSN a week after I arrived??? Or what?

And next thing...Will it coust problems with paperwork(change of status) if I will get my fiance's surname or where is no differents at all??? :unsure:

Thank you!!! :star:

Oct.02 2007 I129F sent to VSC via ups.

Oct.25 2007 NOA1 receipt .

March 04 2008 Approval notice sent .

April 8 2008Interview . APPROVED

April 11 2008Visa in hand

April 27 2008POE - JFK

April 30 2008 WE GOT MARRIED!

July 3 2008 My sweet husband left for Afghanistan

320e71481745.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
I was reading somewhere that good time to apply for SSN is after 2-3 weeks since you arrived to US...Also that we have to apply for SSN before we got married and after marriage apply for a new SSN...I dont quit understand...Isd it okay to apply for SSN a week after I arrived??? Or what?

And next thing...Will it coust problems with paperwork(change of status) if I will get my fiance's surname or where is no differents at all??? :unsure:

Thank you!!! :star:

From what I understand your are suggested to wait two weeks to allow your records to be updated at the USCIS are arrival into the USA, then apply for SSN. If the court allows you to get married without SSN you could just wait till afterwards. Hope this helps.

Sal and Jay

K1 - Complete
AOS - Complete
EAD - Complete
AP - Complete
ROC - Complete

N400-Complete

I am a United States citizen!

I think there are problems applying after your married because you no longer have a 'valid' visa as the K1 expires when you get married or in 90 days which ever comes first. I believe thats why people recommend you apply before the wedding. You'll need a SSN to do things like open a bank account (in most cases) so its better to have one than not.After your married you just apply for a name change not a new SSN. If you leave it then you have to wait for AP and EAD i think, this is all based on what I have read on VJ, if you search through old threads its been talked about plenty of times.

Best Wishes

Bex xxx

Edited by BexandAlan

I-129F

12.03.08 ~ NOA1

12.05.08 ~ NOA2

06.06.08 ~ Packet 3

18.06.08 ~ Packet 4

25.06.08 ~ Medical

11.07.08 ~ Interview - Approved!

22.07.08 ~ POE Atlanta

K1 = 3months, 29days

AOS

07.11.08 ~ NOA 1 - AOS, EAD, AP

24.11.08 ~ Transferred to CSC

28.11.08 ~ Biometrics

31.12.08 ~ EAD/AP Approved :)

23.03.09 ~ RFE

06.04.09 ~ RFE response delivered to CSC

22.04.09 ~ Card production ordered

01.05.09 ~ Conditional GC arrived in the mail

Permanent Residence = 5months, 15days

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Uzbekistan
Timeline

Thank you guys...

Yeah,I need to go and search more information about that...

If someone will see my post(who already got SSN,etc) please

leave your opinion here... :unsure:

Thank you :star:

Oct.02 2007 I129F sent to VSC via ups.

Oct.25 2007 NOA1 receipt .

March 04 2008 Approval notice sent .

April 8 2008Interview . APPROVED

April 11 2008Visa in hand

April 27 2008POE - JFK

April 30 2008 WE GOT MARRIED!

July 3 2008 My sweet husband left for Afghanistan

320e71481745.gif

I think there are problems applying after your married because you no longer have a 'valid' visa as the K1 expires when you get married or in 90 days which ever comes first. I believe thats why people recommend you apply before the wedding. You'll need a SSN to do things like open a bank account (in most cases) so its better to have one than not.After your married you just apply for a name change not a new SSN. If you leave it then you have to wait for AP and EAD i think, this is all based on what I have read on VJ, if you search through old threads its been talked about plenty of times.

Best Wishes

Bex xxx

Absolutely agreed! Well said BexandAlan..

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Best Wishes

Bex xxx

Your K-1 visa expires 6 months after issuance or upon your arrival to the USA. Once admitted to the USA, you are granted K-1 STATUS for 90 days as indicated by the I-94. On K-1 status, you have 76 days after arrival to apply for a SSN. After the 76th day, you are precluded from applying and will have to wait until you are again eligible which occurs after approval of EAD (I-765) or green card (I-485), whichever occurs first.

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.