ucla_cutie26

Transporting a wedding dress on a plane

9 posts in this topic

My husband and I are having our big, religious wedding in Mexico this August. I've ordered the perfect wedding dress, but now am worried about how to transport the dress. We will be taking a flight from Los Angeles, to Guadalajara, Mexico. Does anyone have any suggestions on transporting the dress? I really don't want to have to put the dress in a suitcase, it's a pretty big dress.

Anyone have any experience with this? I figured it's a good idea to post this question in the Latin America forum because some of you may have gone through this.

We will be traveling on Mexicana. Has anyone transported a dress thru them?

* * * * * * * * * K-1 VISA * * * * * * * * * * * *

06/21/06: Submitted I-129F to the CSC

10/18/06: NOA2 DATE

01/29/07: MEDICAL IN CDJ

01/30/07: INTERVIEW in CDJ **My fiance receives his visa**

03/31/07-04/08/07: I leave to Mexico and bring back my fiance

04/08/07: U.S. ENTRY at LAX

04/23/07: Married in Vegas

* * * * * * * *AOS, AP, & EAD * * * * * * * * * *

05/24/07: Submitted AOS, AP, EAD

06/01/07: NOA1 for AOS & EAD, NOA1 for AP missing, but they received forms

06/06/07: TOUCHED (AOS, AP, EAD)

06/23/07: RFE for I-864 paperwork

07/03/07: Biometrics for AOS & EAD

07/03/07: TOUCHED (EAD)

07/07/07: Submitted response to RFE

07/18/07: TOUCHED (AOS) They received RFE response

08/08/07: AP APPROVED

08/10/07: EAD APPROVED

10/17/07: AOS interview in Los Angeles -- APPROVED, pending name check :(

02/08/08: Name check has cleared, Notice welcoming new resident is mailed out

02/12/08: Card Production ordered, woohoo

02/15/08: Notice welcoming new resident is received

02/21/08: GREEN CARD IN HAND

08/23/08: After 7 years together . . . Religious wedding ceremony and HUGE PARTY in Jalisco, Mexico (we deserve it)

08/24-08/30: Spend our honeymoon in Acapulco, Mexico

Link to video clip of our wedding: http://www.youtube.com/user/dstradaproducc...f/1/wHiId9HZVRc

Nov. 2009: File to Remove Conditions

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

This is just a suggestion. Buy one of those enormous refrigerator-sized boxes and carefully package it inside. Then figure out what would be cheaper and/or more convenient: to ship it UPS/FED EX or to have Mexicana fly it.

Or check out this link: How Can I Ship a Bridal Gown?

About uShip: uShip is the first and largest online marketplace for shipping services. Members list anything they need shipped, from household goods to vehicles to freight, and receive bids from thousands of feedback-rated service providers, including movers, carriers, transporters, van lines, freight brokers and independent service providers. On any given day, there are thousands of shipments listed on uShip representing millions of dollars of business. It's totally free for members to list shipments and for service providers to place bids. uShip's reverse-auction format and patent-pending search technology dramatically reduce shipping costs by allowing service providers to find shipments along their routes and fill empty cargo space. uShip's feedback system holds service providers accountable for their service and rewards those that perform well!

Edited by thegreatgate

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

When I brought my wedding dress from Argentina, I checked it in as my carry-on luggage. It was a simple wedding dress, so I folded it on its cover on my carry on suitcase. But if yours needs a separate bag, you can always bring on board your purse plus the dress on its special bag/ cover/ box as your carry on, and you'll be sure that it won't get lost or dirty or anything like that during the flight and transfers.

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline

I bought my wedding dress in the United States and brought it to Guatemala inside a suitcase, the dress was in the garment bag and it was folded carefully. It is all wrinkled now, but I will have it professionally ironed before I use it.

I would not recomend using a courier as it can be very expensive (especially if it is a big dress!) and it will also be subject to importation taxes.

APPLIED FOR NATURALIZATION 07/2021

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.05.2011 - Check cashed

08.08.2011- NOA Received

08.19.2011 - Biometrics Letter Received

09.12.2011 - Biometrics Appointment

01.27.2012 - Card production ordered

02.01.2012 - 10 year GC Received

07.25.2021 - N400 filed online

08.09.2021- Biometrics re-use notice

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

05.19.2022- Oath Ceremony in MN

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Congrats on the ceremony!! I know when I got married in Jamaica, they allowed me to hang my wedding dress (it was in a dress bag from the bridal shop) up in the front with the long coats. My dress was a bit bulky and WAS NOT fitting in a suitcase. When I got to the resort, I just immediately took it out of the bag and let it hang...I did have to add some steam towards the bottom, but it wasn't too bad, and didn't take too long!! I would be leary of shipping it anywhere...having my dress lost in the postal system or held up somewhere where I can't see it just scares the begeezus out of me!! I'm waaay to ####### for that!! :lol::lol:

4ABAm4.png

Removing Conditions:

10/27/11: Petition mailed to VSC

10/28/11: Package received and signed for by Renaud

10/31/11: NOA1

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

always have ur dress as a carry on never leave it as a checked bag.......when we had thought about getting married in india one of the places that i looked for a dress at told me that and also said that the dress can be boxed into a box that has a handle for carry on......u might want to ask about that.........

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I wouldn't check or ship the dress. That is way too much of a gamble. I took my dress to Jamaica and had it in a long garment bag. I had heard that many planes have coat closets and would hang it for me. Unfortunately my airline AirJamaica did not. So the flight attendents rearranged an overhead case for me and I was able to lay my dress out on top of the luggage inside. It was completly fine when we landed. My dress didnt have a cathedral train or anything but it did have a train and lots of tulle which can get wrinkle. the wrinkles fell out 2 days later for the wedding.

One trick that really works for wrinkles is to hang your dress in the bathroom as you shower. The hot steam will steam your dress very well.

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Thanks everyone for all your responses, they have been very helpful. :thumbs:

* * * * * * * * * K-1 VISA * * * * * * * * * * * *

06/21/06: Submitted I-129F to the CSC

10/18/06: NOA2 DATE

01/29/07: MEDICAL IN CDJ

01/30/07: INTERVIEW in CDJ **My fiance receives his visa**

03/31/07-04/08/07: I leave to Mexico and bring back my fiance

04/08/07: U.S. ENTRY at LAX

04/23/07: Married in Vegas

* * * * * * * *AOS, AP, & EAD * * * * * * * * * *

05/24/07: Submitted AOS, AP, EAD

06/01/07: NOA1 for AOS & EAD, NOA1 for AP missing, but they received forms

06/06/07: TOUCHED (AOS, AP, EAD)

06/23/07: RFE for I-864 paperwork

07/03/07: Biometrics for AOS & EAD

07/03/07: TOUCHED (EAD)

07/07/07: Submitted response to RFE

07/18/07: TOUCHED (AOS) They received RFE response

08/08/07: AP APPROVED

08/10/07: EAD APPROVED

10/17/07: AOS interview in Los Angeles -- APPROVED, pending name check :(

02/08/08: Name check has cleared, Notice welcoming new resident is mailed out

02/12/08: Card Production ordered, woohoo

02/15/08: Notice welcoming new resident is received

02/21/08: GREEN CARD IN HAND

08/23/08: After 7 years together . . . Religious wedding ceremony and HUGE PARTY in Jalisco, Mexico (we deserve it)

08/24-08/30: Spend our honeymoon in Acapulco, Mexico

Link to video clip of our wedding: http://www.youtube.com/user/dstradaproducc...f/1/wHiId9HZVRc

Nov. 2009: File to Remove Conditions

My husband and I are having our big, religious wedding in Mexico this August. I've ordered the perfect wedding dress, but now am worried about how to transport the dress. We will be taking a flight from Los Angeles, to Guadalajara, Mexico. Does anyone have any suggestions on transporting the dress? I really don't want to have to put the dress in a suitcase, it's a pretty big dress.

Anyone have any experience with this? I figured it's a good idea to post this question in the Latin America forum because some of you may have gone through this.

We will be traveling on Mexicana. Has anyone transported a dress thru them?

My Wife just went back to Guadalajara with her dress last Tuesday, 04/09 (we're also having our Big Church wedding in Guadalajara in July !! :D )

I was very back and fourth about how we should go about it and I thought about FedExing it to her (Cost was around $80.00), but that didn't solve a whole lot of problems, because they'd just pack it tight anyway. I didn't want her to carry it on either because she was travelling alone with our boy, a two-year-old, and had her hands FULL (Poor Girl!). So, in the end, we just gently packed it in a large suitcase and checked it.

It was a risk, but so long as its in its plastic and you carefully pack clothes around it we figured it would be OK and it was. She flew Continental from Denver and had to go through Houston, but she told me that it got there just fine and nothing got ruined at all on her brand new dress. She'll probably have to have it pressed before the wedding but that was expected anyway (and WAY cheaper than shipping it).

I think your other option would be to just carry-it-on in the plastic and hang it up in the closet on the plane, but things could get hairy if you do it that way (the closet might be too small to accomodate it, or the closet could be reserved for First-Class only).

(NOTE: if you DO decide to check the dress like we did, call ahead to Mexicana and check how many suitcases are allowed per passenger. A lot of airlines are moving to only ONE checked bag per customer now and will charge you for a second one, which could be a problem because I'm sure there's almost no way you could fit all your stuff into the bag with the dress. I'm sure you wouldn't want to anyway ;) )

Best of Luck and Congratulations!

Edited by dhudson

Timeline:

02/04/2004 - A young Zinker arrives in Mexico to study Spanish and the dating game begins

2004--2005 - Many subsequent visits to Mx ensue to be with my love; engaged in March 2005!

04/??/2005 - I-129F is filed from within the US

06/09/2005 - Zinker moves to Mexico

09/??/2005 - I-129F is approved

10/15/2005 - Interview in Cd. Juarez and subsequently approved for a K1 Visa!..But visa is left in Juarez

10/17/2005 - Due to unexpected pregnancy and a job offer in Mx - we decide not to pursue the visa and it expires :(

01/04/2006 - Married in Mexico

10/09/2011 - Two children later and a comfortable life in Mexico... Preparing to file I-130 in December 2011. Stay Tuned!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.