14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Guyana
Timeline

Well, we sent our paperwork in back in January to NSC for lifting conditions and I had posted I was a bit worried since my mom and I owned our house together, and so dh's name is not on it, nor really on the bills. Also been driving Mom's car, and so his name is not on THAT either. Mom wrote a letter explaining this, that we live together so no rent, etc.

I sent in every possible piece of paperwork possible that we DID have, but still got that good ol RFE today in the mail. I put together a collage of pics as well, showing time frames and him being with us every holiday, etc. Guess it wasnt good enuff. :(

The ONLY thing I can think of is to get more letters (we sent 4 but were not notarized), and to open an IRA in both our names. Possibly put dh on car insurance as a driver as my Mom has had a stroke and so he is now going to be driving. I am wondering if that would be enuff? And this years taxes, but I dont have those finished yet, was going to get an extension since I have been at the hospital 24/7 and now Mom is in hospice its even worse. Just dont have TIME to want to fool with this #######. :crying:

I am just out of ideas. I sent everything, I mean everything that we had. I just dont know what to do, and we cant afford to buy a car together right now, to have it put in both our names.

I guess I am just ranting, but if anyone has any ideas on new things we can do together, ??? We have a joint checking, I am beneficiary on his work life insurance policy, all that. This would have to be something we could create I guess.

Sad and exhausted...

Jill

Timeline

May 15th Lake arrived NYC on tourist visa

6-15-05 Flew NCY to "fetch" Lake for visit here

8-17-05 He Proposed!

8-24-05 MARRIED!

9- 1-05 - SENT AOS, EAD, AP, & ETC

9-12-05 NOA1 - FOR I-130, I-145, & AP, EAD

10-5-05 RFE for Birth C. & medical

10-24-05 GOT LEARNERS PERMIT

11-3-05 DRIVERS LICENSE :)

11-16-05 overnited RFE

11-17-05 Rcvd NOA2 for EAD, bio set for 12-5-05

11-25-05 Recvd AOS bio letter, apptmt for 12-14-05

12-5-05 Biometrics (they did BOTH!)

Infopass, got temp EAD, AP no luck

12-6-05 Applied for SSN, not in system

12-10-05 AP finally arrives!

12-11-05 1 year EAD card!

12-23-05 Interview letter arrives! 3-3-06

1-17-06 SSN arrives!!

3-3-06 Interview-APPROVED! Passport stamped :)

3-14-06 Green card arrives!

Filed: Timeline

Did the RFE state what specific documents should be sent? Quite often, RFE letters are the result of information being lost. If I were you I would resend some of the things they already have along with a few new snippets. Open a bank account together, buy a cheap online life insurance policy if necessary (instant printout cards) or just use pictures, a notarized affidavit from someone, mail in her name to the same address as yours...

As long as you send SOMETHING they will usually be fine and approve you asap.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Well, we sent our paperwork in back in January to NSC for lifting conditions and I had posted I was a bit worried since my mom and I owned our house together, and so dh's name is not on it, nor really on the bills. Also been driving Mom's car, and so his name is not on THAT either. Mom wrote a letter explaining this, that we live together so no rent, etc.

I sent in every possible piece of paperwork possible that we DID have, but still got that good ol RFE today in the mail. I put together a collage of pics as well, showing time frames and him being with us every holiday, etc. Guess it wasnt good enuff. :(

The ONLY thing I can think of is to get more letters (we sent 4 but were not notarized), and to open an IRA in both our names. Possibly put dh on car insurance as a driver as my Mom has had a stroke and so he is now going to be driving. I am wondering if that would be enuff? And this years taxes, but I dont have those finished yet, was going to get an extension since I have been at the hospital 24/7 and now Mom is in hospice its even worse. Just dont have TIME to want to fool with this #######. :crying:

I am just out of ideas. I sent everything, I mean everything that we had. I just dont know what to do, and we cant afford to buy a car together right now, to have it put in both our names.

I guess I am just ranting, but if anyone has any ideas on new things we can do together, ??? We have a joint checking, I am beneficiary on his work life insurance policy, all that. This would have to be something we could create I guess.

Sad and exhausted...

Jill

It notice that you did not mentioned transcripts from prior year tax filings or bank accounts. The accounts should show a history..not only the most recent but an earlier statement to show that you did not just open the account..

best of luck

You did not mention anything about Joint accounts or joint insurances... do you have medical insurance, dental insurance... do you have a 401k that your husband is benefisury on..

You also need to include evidence from the time you were approved for the greencard right up to when you filed for the removal of conditions.... so include statements spanning the whole time not just the current period...

good luck

Kez

You're not alone. i got a RFE a few days ago. I thought I'd sent enough, but I guess not. I'm in a similar situation to you. The mortgage was in place before I got married so my name's not on that, same with utilities. But luckily my wife and I just filed joint tax returns so we will have that. She's also on my medical insurance and we have joint bank accounts. Strangely enough I did send tax return and bank statements last time too. But that was in january 07, so this will at least be newer additional proof.

All posts are based on my experience and the law may have changed, or situations may be different, any information provided should be taken as a guideline and not as fact.

VISA: K1

Check My Timeline for full details

Time from sending I-129F to I-485 approval 448 days!

-----------------------------------------

I-751 Sent 2007-01-11

I-751 Received at NSC 2007-01-17

NOA Received: 2007-02-02

Biometric Interview: 2007-02-15

Touched 2007-03-31

InfoPass 2007-01-22 (No additional news)

InfoPass 2007-03-18 I-551 (12 month) stamp

Case Transfer to CSC 2008-04-02

RFE 2008-04-11

Card Ordered 2008-05-14

Card Received 2008-06-01

Timeline

Yea,

I showed a history with our bank account, I I sent 2 statement from each year showing we opened it in June of 2006 and that its still current and also a copy of our check which has both of our names on it, as well as direct deposit of both of our checks spanning a time frame.

I also sent copies showing that I was HIS beneficiary on his life insurance policy thru his workplace, but I dont have a job with insurance so none there.

On the RFE is just said more evidence such as ...and listed quite a few things. I did NOT send 3 years tax forms, as I couldnt find them anywhere and I sent off for transcripts and never received them. I did send a copy of 2006 taxes and I had GIVEN them 2005 taxes in our interview so I figured they already had the darned thing, so it wasnt quite so important. But hopefully the last three years transcripts will satisfy them, will reorder them again, not sure why IRS never sent them to me. I imagine that is the biggie.

It also said on the list "name on mortgage, etc" but Mom wrote a letter explaining that one. My mom was not ABOUT to put someone's name on the house that was almost paid off that she was 1/2 owner of, I would think that would be understandable. I wouldnt do that with anyone, whether they be American or from Mars. :wacko: Now mom is lying near death so she cannot even sign her name now, let alone write a letter.

I was very careful showing the HISTORY part, but like I said, hopefully those tax forms and putting him on the car insurance will do the trick, but thats not gonna show history if we just now do it. The tax forms will, but nothing else. This is really hard to deal with right now.

I tried to very complete in other things with history as I knew we were very short on things like bills in both our names, and the mortgage or rent in both names. My packet was about 55 to 60 pages. sigh...

Timeline

8-17-05 He Proposed!

8-24-05 MARRIED!

11-16-05 overnited RFE

1-17-06 SSN arrives!!

You're not alone. i got a RFE a few days ago. I thought I'd sent enough, but I guess not. I'm in a similar situation to you. The mortgage was in place before I got married so my name's not on that, same with utilities. But luckily my wife and I just filed joint tax returns so we will have that. She's also on my medical insurance and we have joint bank accounts. Strangely enough I did send tax return and bank statements last time too. But that was in january 07, so this will at least be newer additional proof.

This sucks... first they take so long and then they send you an RFE! Seems like they either lost some of your stuff or just want updated info... Good luck! :thumbs:

Removing Conditioins

02/25/08 Mailed I751

03/05/08 Check cashed by Californice Service Center not Nebraska!

03/07/08 Got NOA1 Dated 02/27/08

03/15/08 Biometrics Letter rec'd

03/31/08 Biometrics Done

06/03/08 Got Approval Email

06/10/08 Gr. Card Received!

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer and nothing I say should be taken as legal advice, only an opinion.

Hi dbp,

I'm sorry you're in this horrid situation. (F)

One thing I would suggest is that you forget that logical approach for a start! :P

The USCIS doesn't care that we've all sent stuff in previous packages earlier in the process. They want nice new copies of everything relevant put together in a nice new package. According to the ex USCIS officer that posted here a year or so ago, it's in the lap of the gods whether our files end up with a lazy officer who flings out RFEs at the drop of a hat, or someone who's actually prepared to do a little bit of legwork to look for something that would have sent before in our records. So unfortunately we can't assume anything they've already had will ever surface again. You would imagine that the extortionate fees we pay would buy us a better service, but no. :angry:

I know it's going to be a real pain in the butt, specially now. But don't dispair - you can do it!

I think you should definitely get the tax forms and include them in your new, even fatter package. Hopefully you've got this year's done now, so include that as well.

Check the copies of those letters you sent from friends. You did send the originals, didn't you? Were they 'sworn or affirmed', as specified in the I-751 instructions? If not, either of those things might have prompted the RFE. If you need examples, there are a few in the VJ.com Guides, or do a search online for examples. I chose to get mine notarized, for peace of mind.

I'm assuming your photo montage included the wedding through to as recent as possible?

So, a few other things we tried to find ...

Perhaps you have some kind of paperwork connected with any joint trips since marrying? (We didn't.) How about receipts, bills, invoices, or statements that have both your husband's name and your address included on them. We have some and I put as many as I could in, and forthe bank/credit accounts, we also included about one per quarter from each account for each year, if available. What about any paperwork with just his name and address, or even just his signature on them for any household purchases, repairs or maintenance? Specially things like household maintenance services - roof, siding or window repairs, etc, equipment or furniture purchases or repairs, carpet cleaning, air conditioning services, etc?

Has he ever signed for any deliveries of any kind during the last two years? If some of the delivery notes or work orders have your name on them but he signed them, I actually think that's good - it shows your lives are 'intermingled' - just like real married people! Have you ever received any letters or cards with both your names on them? Don't suppose you happened to keep the envelopes too, did you? (Any time something like that came, I shoved the whole thing into my 'evidence' box, so if you haven't already done that before, start doing it from now on, just in case!)

Hopefully that might spark a few ideas for you. If so great, if not, well, I'm sorry I can't think of anything else, but I expect others will come up with some new ideas.

Best of luck, (F)

Sheila

Edited by Tex'n'Brit

All the best,

Sheila

(AKA Brit)

=======================================

Jun 01-2005: I-129F is at TSC

Sep 21-2005: K-1 Visa!

Oct 16-2005: Moved To DFW!

Oct 23-2005:
Wedding!

Mar 09-2006:
Green Card!

Mar 07-2008: I-751 (Lifting conditions) sent

Apr 17-2008: Biometrics Appt

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Junk mail

Cards & letters

Anything he bought and sent away for

Magazine subscriptions

Does he have a job? Paycheck stubs for both of you with your address on it. Also, any associated mail from the job like health insurance information, retirement information, welcome to the company, signed contract, whatever.

Phone bills.....surely he called back to the country he came from.

Did you send any money via Western Union back? Recipts are good.

You can download an advanced directive and then both fill out to make the other the decision maker for the other.

Any evidence of any sort of trips together....airline tickets, hotel receipts, anything.

Speeding or parking tickets

Copies of credit cards and/or statements in both your names

At this point, I would work on stuff that shows you both have the same address....even if it is just one of your names on the item. Get as much of that as you can.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Write your wills naming each other your executors and beneficiaries. Copies of Driver's Licenses or official state ID showing same address; copies of other type of membership cards - ie, Costco, video stores,etc., definitely letters written to him from his family back home with the addressed envelope, junk mail addressed to the two of you or him at your address; do you have joint credit card bills? a family phone plan with both names listed for cell phones (ie Sprint has such a plan)? any medical bills, whether you have insurance or not, mailed to your address?

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
The USCIS doesn't care that we've all sent stuff in previous packages earlier in the process. They want nice new copies of everything relevant put together in a nice new package. According to the ex USCIS officer that posted here a year or so ago, it's in the lap of the gods whether our files end up with a lazy officer who flings out RFEs at the drop of a hat, or someone who's actually prepared to do a little bit of legwork to look for something that would have sent before in our records. So unfortunately we can't assume anything they've already had will ever surface again. You would imagine that the extortionate fees we pay would buy us a better service, but no. :angry:

One of the things I learned during the AOS process is that parts of our files are stored in different locations. I couldn't be approved at the time of my AOS interview because part of my file (the K-1 petition stuff) which was saved at TSC had not been reconciled with the AOS information I had submitted which was at that time at the District Office. I had to wait until the two parts of my file were put together and reviewed by my adjudicating officer. I guess the OP's situation is a lesson for us all -- don't assume that they will have access to previous submissions.

To the OP: you've gotten some fantastic ideas for additional information to submit in this thread. Best of luck to you. :)

Edited by Cassie

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Timeline

You guys all have wonderful ideas. And yes, I sent everything in here mentioned, EXCEPT for we dont have any wills naming the other beneficiary.

We even sent copies of our fishing licenses. I have a list here somewhere of everything I DID send, but I bet its the 3 years tax stuff that held us up. Unfortunately, my sis has a tendency to put "important" tax stuff "away" in the basement. I looked for a month before I gave up on it, thought I would get the transcripts in the meantime.

I dont have this years done yet, have to file an extension as my mom is dying, in home hospice and we are doing 24/7 caretaking right now. So will get on it asap, and also get those stupid transcrips.

Since we were short on evidence, I tried to be SO thorough. Man I hate to copy all this ####### to send again. You think I need to resend ALL of it, or just what I come up with now.

I DID send all the original cards, letters addressed to both of us and so we dont have THOSE any more. :( Also sent about 6 pieces of junk mail with both our names. Copies of both our fishing licenses. 10 pages of pictures showing me and hubby at various events, fam reunions, xmas, thanksgiving, birthdays over the last 3 years. Sent the originals of those too, so they are gone, also sent fam portraits yearly, and since my nephew has a new baby (2 years now) they could see over the course of time she has grown, hubby babysitting her too, etc.

Copies of 3 pay stubs for each year, showing direct deposit, his address, me as beneficiary, etc. Also my pay stubs showing same address, going into same account. And a 3 page per year list of phone calls back to his country from our phone, with the bills showing our address from each year.

We didnt GO on any trips, except to Iowa (drove) to a fam reunion of his, I included receipts from the gas in Iowa, but we didnt stay at hotel, just a day trip, also pics of that. Copies of driving licenses, copies of CPR class we took together showing address and that we went at same time, etc.

Like you all said, they didnt want to bother to look, I think. What a bunch of #######. Well 2008 has been a stellar year. And I just got a call from my job this afternoon, they not sure they want to keep me, since I have been caretaking for Mom, my work has slipped and they think I need "retraining" on how to do it. Actually I KNOW how to do it, its just I have been doing the rudimentary important stuff and leaving the unimportant stuff to fix later. Phoooey! Well just venting, you all. Thanks for the ideas. I do appreciate it, their really isnt much you all have mentioned I didnt include except we dont have a will. And those stupid tax transcripts, aghhhhh!

Thanks all for letting me vent!

Edited by thndrdancr

Timeline

8-17-05 He Proposed!

8-24-05 MARRIED!

11-16-05 overnited RFE

1-17-06 SSN arrives!!

Like you all said, they didnt want to bother to look, I think. What a bunch of #######. Well 2008 has been a stellar year. And I just got a call from my job this afternoon, they not sure they want to keep me, since I have been caretaking for Mom, my work has slipped and they think I need "retraining" on how to do it. Actually I KNOW how to do it, its just I have been doing the rudimentary important stuff and leaving the unimportant stuff to fix later. Phoooey! Well just venting, you all. Thanks for the ideas. I do appreciate it, their really isnt much you all have mentioned I didnt include except we dont have a will. And those stupid tax transcripts, aghhhhh!

Thanks all for letting me vent!

You're really being out through the ringer right now aren't you, I am sorry. (F)

You did get lots of great suggestions, didn't you! But it actually sounds as though you compiled a pretty good package the first time around anyway. You are probably right about the lack of tax papers being the issue because they're mentioned specifically in the instructions. I think you'll help your case a lot by getting those sent off as soon as you can. Unfortunately, unless the RFE requests something specific, there's a slight possibility that some, or all of the evidence you sent before has gone astray somehow. So I think I would rebuild a copy of the same package, with the tax paperwork on top. It's a shame you didn't send copies of all the evidence the first time round ... but do the best you can and explain the situation in the covering letter.

One thing though, you mentioned the letters from friends weren't notarized ... The letters do need to be the originals, not copies and they must either be 'sworn', or 'affirmed'. So if they didn't include the legal affirmation drivel about perjury, etc, you will either have to get new letters that include the correct type of affirmation style wording, or they will need to be notarized.

Don't worry about venting, many of us have done that at some stage, and you certainly have verrrrry legitimate reasons.

Take care of yourself,

Edited by Tex'n'Brit

All the best,

Sheila

(AKA Brit)

=======================================

Jun 01-2005: I-129F is at TSC

Sep 21-2005: K-1 Visa!

Oct 16-2005: Moved To DFW!

Oct 23-2005:
Wedding!

Mar 09-2006:
Green Card!

Mar 07-2008: I-751 (Lifting conditions) sent

Apr 17-2008: Biometrics Appt

Timeline

Thanks Jomo for the idea of the receipt of money sent back home, I did NOT include that and we do have a couple of receipts. Great Idea.

Sent off for tax transcripts AGAIN. I had ordered them before actually and that is why they were not included, they never came, even tho I ordered and reordered and I wanted to get the info IN already. I hope this time is better go round.

I also got a letter from the drivers insurance that he and I are both insured on the vehicle and that we both are at this address.

I will again send everything I sent before, as well except the pics. I am a bit saddened I sent the last copy of family portraits and it was for naught.

Oh and get this...does the immigration office do credit checks? Got my cc bill inthe mail today, and my interest rate DOUBLED. I called them hopping mad, asked about why this would happen since NONE of my bills have been late with ANY of my cards, no other cards raised rates, I have been paying double or more the min payments, and havent had any troubles except with this same card last year, that got resolved. They told me in that case it had to be negative feedback from credit report, which COULD be triggered by a credit check for car, new job, etc. Since I havent applied for any new cards, a car, or havent started a new job, nor has hubby, it HAD to be immigration the way I figure it. Was told to get ahold of the credit reporting agencies to contest the negative feedback due to a credit check, but other than that, they could not help me.

So, now my rate doubles becuz of them, and still not approved. Talk about sucking. Grrrr! ticked off here...

Ok thanks for listening to my rant...anyone not having all three years of taxes, learn from this....

Jill

Timeline

8-17-05 He Proposed!

8-24-05 MARRIED!

11-16-05 overnited RFE

1-17-06 SSN arrives!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.