Jamaica and the NVC

223 posts in this topic

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hey Bailey! Girl I forgot you just got your NOA2!! Woo Hoo....you're on your way. Your about a couple steps behind me as far as your timeline tells.

Well as far as the K3 vs CR1 visa....I think many people will tell you to go CR1 if you are at this stage now. The only problem is since the new fee hike back in July 2007, the K3 visa route didnt have an additional fee payment. So the idea is that once you submit that I-129F to apply for K3 you cannot go back to CR1. USCIS is supposed to forward only your K3 (I-129F) approved application and save your CR1 (I-130) application for when your husband arrives and decides to adjust status. I have heard that some people are still having both their I-130 processed at NVC while their K3 visa moves on to the Embassy.

I would strongly suggest you do the CR1 if still possible. You can call the NVC once you get a KNG# and ask if your CR1 visa is still being processed and that you want to abandon the K3. The reason I encourage the CR1 is because its not that far behind the K3 and in the end you will be DONE for 2 years. With the K3 you will have to file AOS within 90 days and that fee is $1010 or so! The CR1 has fees in total of $470 during the NVC process. Your K3 will also have fees during the NVC/Embassy stage...same as every other visa. That includes police certificate...medical...and another visa fee of $100. Its just a really expensive and time consuming visa and I estimate that you may be approved only 2 months earlier than the CR1 would....if that.

So if you want to rid yourself of immigration for awhile especially after your husband arrives CR1 is best. If 2 months means more to you then stay with the K3.

I can tell that your NOA2's came really late because you filed an I-129F a good 3 months after you filed your I-130. Filing for that K3 actually hurt you because it put you in the October priority dates instead of July. This is why I think your CR1 will be approved around the same time as your K3 making the K3 not the best choice right now.

I am so glad I came across this post.. it has answered so many ? for me.. I only have one more, since both our K3 & CR1 was approved for my hubby, but not for my step daughters( because I didn't send the Fee for their CR1 for them :( didn't know I had to pay for all three) but they are approved for the K3.. what will be the cost once they all get here?

as1cF3M0g410000MDAzMTBsfDAwMDEyNjdsfEhvbGRpbmcgbXkgaHViYnlcJ3MgaGFuZCBhZ2Fpbg.gif

event.png

Timeline
Hey Bailey! Girl I forgot you just got your NOA2!! Woo Hoo....you're on your way. Your about a couple steps behind me as far as your timeline tells.

Well as far as the K3 vs CR1 visa....I think many people will tell you to go CR1 if you are at this stage now. The only problem is since the new fee hike back in July 2007, the K3 visa route didnt have an additional fee payment. So the idea is that once you submit that I-129F to apply for K3 you cannot go back to CR1. USCIS is supposed to forward only your K3 (I-129F) approved application and save your CR1 (I-130) application for when your husband arrives and decides to adjust status. I have heard that some people are still having both their I-130 processed at NVC while their K3 visa moves on to the Embassy.

I would strongly suggest you do the CR1 if still possible. You can call the NVC once you get a KNG# and ask if your CR1 visa is still being processed and that you want to abandon the K3. The reason I encourage the CR1 is because its not that far behind the K3 and in the end you will be DONE for 2 years. With the K3 you will have to file AOS within 90 days and that fee is $1010 or so! The CR1 has fees in total of $470 during the NVC process. Your K3 will also have fees during the NVC/Embassy stage...same as every other visa. That includes police certificate...medical...and another visa fee of $100. Its just a really expensive and time consuming visa and I estimate that you may be approved only 2 months earlier than the CR1 would....if that.

So if you want to rid yourself of immigration for awhile especially after your husband arrives CR1 is best. If 2 months means more to you then stay with the K3.

I can tell that your NOA2's came really late because you filed an I-129F a good 3 months after you filed your I-130. Filing for that K3 actually hurt you because it put you in the October priority dates instead of July. This is why I think your CR1 will be approved around the same time as your K3 making the K3 not the best choice right now.

I am so glad I came across this post.. it has answered so many ? for me.. I only have one more, since both our K3 & CR1 was approved for my hubby, but not for my step daughters( because I didn't send the Fee for their CR1 for them :( didn't know I had to pay for all three) but they are approved for the K3.. what will be the cost once they all get here?

With the K-3 you have 2 years to file for the AOS not 90 days that's the K-1. Also with the K-3 you can file for the EAD so they can work, which as been a big help for us. Since he will be paying for his AOS. I believe the k-4 visas are the same to adjust as the k-3s $1010 and a little less for the second. But be careful as once he gets his green car, Kingston will not approve the k-4 visas for your stepdaughters. So if you want your step-daughters to come with him. The K-3/K-4 visa is best. if not go with the CR-1 for him and then he can file for them once he gets here.

4462482_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Me turn professional panhandler!!! but mi look good, don't??

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Thanks for starting this thread...this will be really helpful..my hubby is in Kingston now applying for his police record...this is the website if anyone needs info for applying for the police record: http://www.mns.org.jm/ApplyingforPoliceRec...79/Default.aspx

I'm planning to do the email thing too...setting one up under my hubby name...he lives in the bushes too...LOL... I found another thing interesting about how NVC assigns case #(thought I would share it)

3 letters=embassy

first 4#s = year

next 3 = subtract 500 and that is the day of the year when the case was assigned (ex.724-500=224th day on calendar = 08.13)

the last couple of digits = how many petitions they received for that embassy on that day they entered it in the system(ex. 029=your the 29 petition they received for KNG)

The only thing I'm not sure about that is if they mean all petitions like CR-1, K-1s etc...or per specific petition.

Just a little knowledge I would like to share. :thumbs: I hope everyone has a speedy NVC experience because USCIS was sure not. :whistle:

Hey

Did ur husband have to be told to get his police record or can he start doing that now since we have an NVC case number?

Event Date

Marriage : 08/04/2008

I-130 Sent : 11/21/2008

I-130 NOA1 : 12/01/2008

I-130 Approved :02/17/2009

NVC Case number assigned: 02/17/2009

AOS Fee Received: 02/27/2009

Paid AOS Fee: 02/28/2009

Received AOS barcoded sheet: 03/03/2009

Sent off I-864 package: 03/04/2009

Choice of Agent accepted via email: 03/04/2009

IV Bill posted online: 03/04/2009

IV Bill paid online: 03/06/2009

I-864 packet received by NVC: 03/06/2009

IV barcoded sheet printed: 03/09/2009

Received info for DS-230 packet from my SO: 03/11/2009

DS-230 package sent out: 03/12/2009

I-864 package approved: 03/13/2009

DS-230 received by NVC: 03/17/2009

Case complete: 04/07/2009

Medical:

Interview: 06/25/2009 at 7am...WHOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!

JFK POE:

mwhfql.png

Timeline

bump!!

I-130 Timeline

04/10/09 - I130 Sent

04/14/09 - I130 Received

04/22/09 - Check Cashed

04/22/09 - NOA1 Hardcopy Received

08/13/09 - Touch

08/24/09 - RFE Email

08/27/09 - RFE Hardcopy Received

09/11/09 - Evidence sent to CSC

09/16/09 - Evidence Received by CSC

09/20/09 - Touch...on a Sunday???

09/25/09 - NOA2 Hardcopy Received. Dated 9/18

NVC Timeline

10/01/09 - NVC Case Number Assigned

10/02/09 - DS3023 & I-864 Bill Generated

10/02/09 - Paid I-864 fee online

10/03/09 - DS3032 Emailed

10/13/09 - Sent I-864 Packet

10/14/09 - NVC Received I-864 Packet

10/20/09 - I-864 Received via AVR

10/22/09 - IV Bill Generated

Timeline

With the K-3 you have 2 years to file for the AOS not 90 days that's the K-1. Also with the K-3 you can file for the EAD so they can work, which as been a big help for us. Since he will be paying for his AOS. I believe the k-4 visas are the same to adjust as the k-3s $1010 and a little less for the second. But be careful as once he gets his green car, Kingston will not approve the k-4 visas for your stepdaughters. So if you want your step-daughters to come with him. The K-3/K-4 visa is best. if not go with the CR-1 for him and then he can file for them once he gets here.

he can file for them as soon as he has sponsor them...has tax returns with enough to meet poverty guidelines

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Timeline
Hello All,

I decided to start a thread for all us CR1/IR1 filers petitioning for someone in Jamaica. There's alot of information that can be gathered from the VJ NVC threads but I thought that having one specific to us JA filers could help alot. There are a few things that are specific to Jamaica during the NVC process so this thread will be sort of a one-stop-shop.

• During NVC you can choose to speed up the process by using James Shortcuts
  • The US Embassy in Jamaica is an appointment post embassy....this essentially means that the Embassy only performs the interview. The NVC schedules the interview and collects ALL fees and paperwork. At the time the appointment is scheduled, the NVC will send an appointment letter to all interested parties (applicant, petitioner, and agent/attorney of record, if applicable) notifying them of the date, time, and location of the interview; and forward the petition to the embassy in Kingston.
So post any questions or concerns you have during the NVC to Interview process here.

the question I have, is this the same process if we are filing for I129F.. hubby wants to go this route instead, because we were told our case is now in Kingston for processing.

as1cF3M0g410000MDAzMTBsfDAwMDEyNjdsfEhvbGRpbmcgbXkgaHViYnlcJ3MgaGFuZCBhZ2Fpbg.gif

event.png

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

BUMP for Jamerican Queen :dance:

I-130 Timeline

04/10/09 - I130 Sent

04/14/09 - I130 Received

04/22/09 - Check Cashed

08/13/09 - Touch

08/24/09 - RFE Email

NVC Timeline

Timeline
Hello All,

I decided to start a thread for all us CR1/IR1 filers petitioning for someone in Jamaica. There's alot of information that can be gathered from the VJ NVC threads but I thought that having one specific to us JA filers could help alot. There are a few things that are specific to Jamaica during the NVC process so this thread will be sort of a one-stop-shop.

• The US Embassy in Jamaica is an appointment post embassy....this essentially means that the Embassy only performs the interview. The NVC schedules the interview and collects ALL fees and paperwork. At the time the appointment is scheduled, the NVC will send an appointment letter to all interested parties (applicant, petitioner, and agent/attorney of record, if applicable) notifying them of the date, time, and location of the interview; and forward the petition to the embassy in Kingston.
So post any questions or concerns you have during the NVC to Interview process here.

Greetings everyone,

Just to brief you on who I am and my status. I was the one on here whom the lawyer dumped b/c I was asking too many questions. Long story short, we resolved the issue, he is back on the job and the case is near complete.

The NVC sent a request for my husbands current birth cert.(bc) apparently in Jamaica at one point they had hand written bc and in the past year or so, they have upgraded to the computer generated ones, so that's what the NVC is requesting and then the case will be complete and sent to the Embassy in Kingston. Why it take 3 days to get a printed bc in Jamaica..........go figure? Anyway, my question is . ................. We have been approved since October 2007. I129f and i130. I have been trying to email and correspond with the embassy in kgston on their procedure on how to abandon the i129f because we decided to wait for the immigrant visa instead. I haved emailed them 3 x and they keep responding by telling me; right now to tell my husband to come in and pick up the K3 packet with the ds230 on April 14 at 1pm and wait for the interview date for the immigrant visa. I don't know if I am making myself clear to them or what. I do not wish to delay this process any longer. Why would we need the K3 packet when we are going forward with the immigrant visa? I don't know if we should take this opportunity and go in person and tell them we want to abandon the i129f K3 visa and submit the waiver packets or what. Our attorney have even emailed them as well, asking them their procedure on delivering the waiver packet and they just respond by keep telling us to come pick up the K3 visa packet. I don't want to confuse or delay our case because we are so close to getting out of this. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do you think they are really reading the email correctly. I wonder are they hooked on phonics or chronic..............LOL Sorry, for the long email.

Hello All,

Timeline

Greetings everyone,

Just to brief you on who I am and my status. I was the one on here whom the lawyer dumped b/c I was asking too many questions. Long story short, we resolved the issue, he is back on the job and the case is near complete.

The NVC sent a request for my husbands current birth cert.(bc) apparently in Jamaica at one point they had hand written bc and in the past year or so, they have upgraded to the computer generated ones, so that's what the NVC is requesting and then the case will be complete and sent to the Embassy in Kingston. Why it take 3 days to get a printed bc in Jamaica..........go figure? Anyway, my question is . ................. We have been approved since October 2007. I129f and i130. I have been trying to email and correspond with the embassy in kgston on their procedure on how to abandon the i129f because we decided to wait for the immigrant visa instead. I haved emailed them 3 x and they keep responding by telling me; right now to tell my husband to come in and pick up the K3 packet with the ds230 on April 14 at 1pm and wait for the interview date for the immigrant visa. I don't know if I am making myself clear to them or what. I do not wish to delay this process any longer. Why would we need the K3 packet when we are going forward with the immigrant visa? I don't know if we should take this opportunity and go in person and tell them we want to abandon the i129f K3 visa and submit the waiver packets or what. Our attorney have even emailed them as well, asking them their procedure on delivering the waiver packet and they just respond by keep telling us to come pick up the K3 visa packet. I don't want to confuse or delay our case because we are so close to getting out of this. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do you think they are really reading the email correctly. I wonder are they hooked on phonics or chronic..............LOL Sorry, for the long email.

Hello All,

• 5 months later...
Timeline

****** BUMP ******

I-130 Timeline

04/10/09 - I130 Sent

04/14/09 - I130 Received

04/22/09 - Check Cashed

08/13/09 - Touch

08/24/09 - RFE Email

NVC Timeline

• 4 months later...
Timeline

bump

I864 delivered November 2nd.....nvc logged it on November 5th

DS230 delivered November 6th.....nvc logged it on November 12th

Welcome to US Letter May 19th

Card production ordered May 25th

739444001253587733-final.gif

upherebl.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.