william_wallace

Heathrow to Gatwick

34 posts in this topic

I would say the bus is probably the easiest option if she is carrying a lot of luggage. However, she will be doing the journey during RUSH HOUR which will really make it a tight connection in 3 hours!

Someone mentioned a taxi. Let's step back a bit.

35 quid return seems like a lot to pay for a bus in England. Can you price a taxi, one way? If she gets a taxi to Gatwick, she could take a bus on the way back, when she is not rushed. Taxi's are an excellent (if expensive) way to overcome the London transport blues.

Instead of paying 35 pounds return on the bus, I would pay 60 pounds (40-50 taxi one way and 15 for the train/tube on the return) and not risk missing my flight.

DCF London

2007-08-09 Married

2008-02-15 (Day 1) Filed I-130 for CR-1

2008-02-20 (Day 6) Received RFE

2008-02-21 (Day 7) Returned RFE

2008-02-26 (Day 12) Credit card charged $355

2008-05-15 (Day 92) Received RFE

2008-05-16 (Day 93) Returned RFE

2008-06-11 (Day 119) Received RFE in the form of face-to-face interview on 17 June.

2008-06-17 (Day 125) RFE interview

2008-06-23 (Day 131) Received Packet 3

2008-06-24 (Day 132) Returned Checklist, DS-230

2008-07-03 (Day 141) Received Packet 4

2008-07-09 (Day 147) Medical (approved)

2008-07-18 (Day 158) Interview (approved)

2008-07-22 (Day 162) Passport and visa in hand

2008-07-25 (Day 165) POE - Atlanta, GA

ROC

2010-05-25 (Day 1) Mailed off I-751, check, and evidence to VSC

2010-06-07 (Day 15) Received NOA1, dated 2010-05-27

2010-07-30 (Day 66) Received Bio Appt letter, scheduled for 2010-08-16; will be out of town

2010-07-30 (Day 66) Mailed off request for new appointment date

2011-05-23 (Day 363) Biometrics appointment

2011-07-11 (Day 412) Conditions Removed

N-400

2012-10-23 (Day 1) Mailed N-400 Application (PHX)

2012-12-06 (Day 44) Biometrics appointment (PHX)

2013-01-29 (Day 98) Interview (approved)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

well, that's why I suggested she speak to the airline, to see if there's a shuttle or some such... but I agree with all the comments about the bus; it's just not reliable if time's tight, so a shuttle may not be any better even if it is available

remember also that while the Express services run pretty regularly, they don't go every minute, so there'll almost definitely be some waiting there too, as well as maybe a line to buy tickets (though that's maybe something she could do online ahead of time...?)

can you tell us what her connecting flight is, ie if it's internal or external? if there are other options I'd really urge her to look into them; I would HATE to do what you're describing, and I've been out to all London airports more times than I care to remember :unsure:

oh, and re taxis - I agree, it would be better than the bus, but if the problem's traffic, it will hit a taxi the same as a bus and may not end up being much better

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

well, that's why I suggested she speak to the airline, to see if there's a shuttle or some such... but I agree with all the comments about the bus; it's just not reliable if time's tight, so a shuttle may not be any better even if it is available

remember also that while the Express services run pretty regularly, they don't go every minute, so there'll almost definitely be some waiting there too, as well as maybe a line to buy tickets (though that's maybe something she could do online ahead of time...?)

can you tell us what her connecting flight is, ie if it's internal or external? if there are other options I'd really urge her to look into them; I would HATE to do what you're describing, and I've been out to all London airports more times than I care to remember :unsure:

oh, and re taxis - I agree, it would be better than the bus, but if the problem's traffic, it will hit a taxi the same as a bus and may not end up being much better

She flying in Heathrow from Toronto 630am ( Air Canada) then has a connected flight at Gatwick to Inverness 930am ( flybe) Its the same for her on the return. She arrives into Gatwick at 930am from Inverness, then has to get to Heathrow for her flight to Toronto which leaves at 930am. Shes a good friend of my brother who has known her for about 15 years. First time for in the UK. If only id known about her flying i would have told her to get a flight in Manchester or Glasgow. Think she just presumed that the company who she booked the ticket from would have laid on a bus for her. Shes a bit p**sed she has to travel 30 miles to a different airport. The joys of travel lol.

beach_1_001.jpg

The fact that such a simple question has generated such a stir is testament to London's transport woes. But the simple fact remains that trains are the fastest and most reliable form of transport in the city. You can hardly get lost since there are so many people around to point out "Victoria" and the "Gatwick Express." And the tube is so close to LHR terminals. Wait times are almost no-existent (2-4 minutes) for trains, as opposed to 15-45 minutes for buses...

Train (or taxi) is the way to go.

Does the National Express bus go straight to Gatwick? Or does it stop at Victoria? If the latter is the case, forget it. If the former is the case, the time between buses is likely to be one hour or something like that, no? I can't imagine taking the bus in this city if I was in a rush.

DCF London

2007-08-09 Married

2008-02-15 (Day 1) Filed I-130 for CR-1

2008-02-20 (Day 6) Received RFE

2008-02-21 (Day 7) Returned RFE

2008-02-26 (Day 12) Credit card charged $355

2008-05-15 (Day 92) Received RFE

2008-05-16 (Day 93) Returned RFE

2008-06-11 (Day 119) Received RFE in the form of face-to-face interview on 17 June.

2008-06-17 (Day 125) RFE interview

2008-06-23 (Day 131) Received Packet 3

2008-06-24 (Day 132) Returned Checklist, DS-230

2008-07-03 (Day 141) Received Packet 4

2008-07-09 (Day 147) Medical (approved)

2008-07-18 (Day 158) Interview (approved)

2008-07-22 (Day 162) Passport and visa in hand

2008-07-25 (Day 165) POE - Atlanta, GA

ROC

2010-05-25 (Day 1) Mailed off I-751, check, and evidence to VSC

2010-06-07 (Day 15) Received NOA1, dated 2010-05-27

2010-07-30 (Day 66) Received Bio Appt letter, scheduled for 2010-08-16; will be out of town

2010-07-30 (Day 66) Mailed off request for new appointment date

2011-05-23 (Day 363) Biometrics appointment

2011-07-11 (Day 412) Conditions Removed

N-400

2012-10-23 (Day 1) Mailed N-400 Application (PHX)

2012-12-06 (Day 44) Biometrics appointment (PHX)

2013-01-29 (Day 98) Interview (approved)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I don't know if I quite agree that it's 'testament to London's transport woes' - I think transport in ANY big city can be difficult, and trying to get from one airport to another at the beginning of peak hour would be difficult almost anywhere

I think it's testament to lack of information when booking flights, personally...

(and I hope that was a typo by William, that the plane from Inverness lands at 9.30am and the flight from Heathrow also leaves at 9.30am... :unsure: )

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

The national express bus goes direct to Gatwick from Heathrow. (So the operator said ) Time is approx 1hr 15 min. £35.50 return. By the way, thanks for all this feeback fellow VJ members. Much appreciated.

beach_1_001.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
It may be a testament to London's transport woes, but I think Londoners just love debating the fastest way to get somewhere :devil:

If it isn't the weather, it's talking about the London Underground delays. We love it! :whistle:

In June I'm going over to the UK and will go on all of the tube lines. I'll be sure to report back what was working, what was delayed and how many times I got stuck in a tunnel. :P

It may be a testament to London's transport woes, but I think Londoners just love debating the fastest way to get somewhere :devil:

If it isn't the weather, it's talking about the London Underground delays. We love it! :whistle:

In June I'm going over to the UK and will go on all of the tube lines. I'll be sure to report back what was working, what was delayed and how many times I got stuck in a tunnel. :P

Weather, transport and property prices - no London pub conversation is complete without then.

Be sure to also report on the best route from Hampstead Heath to Peckham :D

90day.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Weather, transport and property prices - no London pub conversation is complete without then.

Be sure to also report on the best route from Hampstead Heath to Peckham :D

Will do! :D

I'll start taking orders from people. Tell me where you'd like me to travel to and from and I'll see what I can do. :P

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Just to add something here, hubby once had to do this in the opposite - so he landed in Gatwick and had to take the bus to Heathrow for his connecting flight. He had NO problems. At Gatwick you don't have to walk miles to get to the bus like in Heathrow. Gatwick is just a much better and more organized airport. Hubby says he even had time for a beer while waiting for his connecting flight in Heathrow.

Someone suggested getting a taxi the first journey, and the bus on the way back - I would second that. I know it would be expensive but after the cr@p we went through I'd rather pay the money and not have to wait 5 hours for a 30 minute flight.

I don't know where the taxis go from in Heathrow, but the traffic wasn't the issue for us - it was the distance we had to walk and the time we had to wait to get the bus that made us miss the flight. So if there are taxis waiting right outside the terminal where your friend lands it should be much quicker and easier than trying to navigate Heathrow.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

It is not the walking at either airport that is the problem with the coach it is the unknown delights of the M25. It isn't known as the London orbital car park without good reason.

Worked at Heathrow often travelled to Gatwick, best time 45 minutes, at night, worst time 4.5 hours, in the rush hour with lanes closed because of an accident, it all depends on the traffic conditions and if there is an accident on the motorway or not.

Aircraft lands 6.30am taxi to gate 10 mins walk through T3 to immigration go through immigration and baggage reclaim anything 30 - 60 minutes. Walk to coach station 10 minutes. Buy ticket 5 minutes. 75 minutes to Gatwick total time just to get to Gatwick 2.5 hours if there are no hold ups.

If it was me I go by train but then I know the way and having lived in London it doesn't worry me at all.

Edited by Lansbury

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Isn't there a way to get to Inverness from Heathrow that doesn't involve Gatwick?

That's how I'd be looking to solve the problem.

As far as i'm aware only Gatwick or Luton go to Inverness. Heathrow used to fly there many years ago. At the end of the day she should have thought more carefully in the first place. I would flown into Glasgow or Edinburgh if it was me, or flown straight into Gatwick if there is one from Toronto.

beach_1_001.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.