~~~water~~~

help??? how can I be a good driving teacher

29 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Water --

First, where we live is not an easy place to drive. And it is great that your dad/friend can help also. Has he been studying the DMV book?

Maybe while you drive you can tell him what you are looking for -- checking mirrors, looking for traffic, etc.

My honey, a seasoned driver, went through a stop sign on Friday pm -- "because no one was coming...". I explained that you have to stop - even if it is a CA rolling stop - even in the middle of the night.

I try to control my reaction to his errors. On Sunday, I was going to tell him what a good job he did and then as we turned off the offramp with the two left hand turn lanes - he crossed over to the other lane.

Good Luck!!

anita i didn't know your husband was here! Congratulations!

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
This is why my husband is taking lessons now. Besides almost crashing my new car a couple of times, I'm a nervous wreck and he says I say bad words too much :blush:

lol

I can't get mine to even pick up the manual to get his learners. I have to admit it is rather big. I wish he had his license in Morocco, it would have been much easier.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

When my older brother started driving, he reversed the car out of the driveway and got a whole two feet before ramming it into a tree. When my older sister started, my daddy got down in front of the car on one knee and earnestly prayed for awhile.

With me, dad took me out to an abandoned parking lot and had me practice for maybe 30 minutes. Part of the practice was revving the acceleration as hard as I could towards the nearest lightpost, and then slamming on the brakes when I thought I was getting too close :lol:

After 30 minutes of that dad MADE me drive home. It was a back road and not too busy but it was far from deserted, either. And that was my introduction to driving :D My parents freaked out for the first year or so too and made it a lot worse, but really I think that's how it's supposed to be. If your SO can learn to drive with you swearing and crying and cursing and gripping that "oh we're gonna DIE!" handle above the passenger door, then he/she can drive in ANYTHING :yes:

Summer 2001 - met my Scottish boy

December 18th, 2007 - proposal in Madrid's Botanical Gardens with a duck standing behind him going 'food?'

January 18th, 2008 - I-129F sent to VSC

January 31st, 2008 - received NOA1, issued Jan. 24 :)

February 24th, 2008 - NOA2; omgwtfbbqlolz

February 29th, 2008 - NVC letter sent

Back when I started driving, my Dad took me out to parking lots in shopping centres and back roads. When my kids were of the age to learn to drive, they were instructed by professional driving instructors. I had read somewhere that parents shouldn't be teaching their kids how to drive. First off because we have little patience for them, and are quite judgemental, and other issue was that we were teaching them our own bad habits. My kids had a one week drivers education program, then about 4 one hour practice drives. During this time, I sat in with them when they were driving in between classes. I didn't say much of anything. They taught ME a few things! I was convinced after all is said and done that I would never teach anyone to drive. I would let professionals do this. They're going to get the right way of driving, positive correction, and know the rules of the road the best through teaching, not just picking up some book at the DMV office.

Edited to add that I know it's not your child you're teaching! I should have said that anyone learning to drive should be taught by professionals I guess. I just used my kids as my example.

Edited by Carlawarla
carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline

My dad taught everyone of us (4) to drive. Let's just say it did not go successfully. He managed to teach us to operate the car (gas, acceleration, brake, stick shift, etc) but not the actual driving on the street. We all end up going to the driving school for the driving practice.

I-130

Jun 28 2004 : Received at NSC

Oct 25 2004 : Transferred to CSC

Oct 29 2004 : Received at CSC

Nov 8 2004 : Received response from CSC that my file is being requested & review will be done

Nov 10 2004 : Email & online status Approved

Nov 15 2004 : NOA 2 in mail

Dec 16 2004 : NVC assigns case number

Dec 20 2004 : NVC sent DS 3032 to beneficiary, copy of DS 3032 & I-864 fee bill to petitioner

Jan 3 2005 : Petitioner received copy of DS 3032 and I-864 fee bill. Post-marked Dec 23rd.

Jan 11 2005 : Beneficiary received DS 3032 in Indonesia

Jan 31 2005 : Sent DS 3032 to NVC

Feb 8, 2005 : NVC received DS 3032

Feb 21, 2005 : IV fee generated

Feb 25, 2005 : Sent I-864 fee bill

Feb 28, 2005 : I-864 fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 3, 2005 : IV fee bill received

Mar 7, 2005 : Sent IV fee bill

Mar 9, 2005 : IV fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 28, 2005 : I-864 fee credited against case.

April 6, 2005 : Received I-864 package

April 7, 2005 : Immigrant Visa fee credited against case.

April 11, 2005 : DS 230 is generated

Aug 12, 2005 : I-864 & DS 230 received by NVC

Sep 14, 2005 : RFE on I-864

Nov 3, 2005 : Checklist response received at NVC

Nov 25, 2005 : Case completion

Dec 9, 2005 : Police Cert requested from the Netherlands

Jan 12 2006 : Interview success - Approved !!

Jan 19 2006 : Visa & brown envelope picked up

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

I'm going to repeat what others have said here--PAY FOR HIM TO GO TO DRIVING SCHOOL!!! I also tried to teach my husband, but it was horrible--he refused to practice, he was impatient, he practically gave me whiplash, and I swear it was a huge strain on our relationship (temporarily). He DID want to learn to drive (and so did I--I was driving him 46 miles round trip to and from work each day for 6 months! :wacko: ), but not from me. The fact that I had a manual transmission car didn't help anything.

So, I paid $400 to send him to driving school. They picked him up from our house, they had an automatic transmission car with a passenger foot brake, he got to practice, he learned the rules of the road and safety, etc. He would never have believed me if I told him how to be a good driver. Best $400 I ever spent.

Carolyn and Simo

Fell in love in Morocco: March 2004

Welcome to the USA: May 19, 2005 :)

Our Wedding Day: July 9, 2005

AOS interview: March, 2006--Success!

Applied for Removal of Conditions on Residence: March, 2008--Approved August 11, 2008

Baby Ilyas born: August 16, 2008!

rPXNm5.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I've been through this before.

My suggestion is to have your husband go to a professional driving school.

Agree.

You should always let a professional teach someone how to drive. They will teach him all the proper techniques he will need- very important when it comes to his driving exam. With you teaching him he may pick up any bad habits you may have ( we all have a few as we become more experienced drivers)

Also- I'm not sure how it works in the US, but in Canada if you took the driving course, your insurance premium was lower.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Advice taken :) Hes going to have his first lesson tomorrow. I know it is exspensive , but its true they know how to teach driving :thumbs:

Edited by ~~~water~~~

K1 process

10/05/2006 filled :)

05/03/2007 interview -> AP -> hell -> AP -> 9 months of AP Hell - 2 home visits :(

01/26/2008 visa in hand with a typo :(

02/03/2008 2 weeks more of waiting.... Visa in hand...... :)

2/20/2008 on US soil :)

2/21/2008 marriage :)

AOS

03/12/2008 Sent AOS/Work/Travel

03/16/2008 shows delivered chicago

4/12/2008 check cashed :)

4/13/2008 NOA's for all 3

4/18/2008 bio letter

4/29/2008 bio appt.

5/06/2008 RFE 2007 tax return

5/07/2008 returned RFE overnight

5/08/2008 received-lees summit

5/12/08 case updated online/RFE received

5/27/08 checked the website for the third time today -says AP and EAD approval letter sent 5/24- it was not updated online till today - and no e-mail update either

5/27/08 emails sent in afternoon AP and EAD approvals

5/29/08 AP touch

5/29/08 email EAD card production ordered

6/02/08 AP in hand

6/03/08 email EAD card mailed

6/05/08 EAD card in hand :)

7/28/08 AOS letter received

9/02/08 AOS interview

9/10/08 card production ordered email :)

9/17/08 welcome letter email and snail mail arrive same day

9/19/08 Greencard in hand :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Im in the process of teaching mine to drive. So far so good. I taught all 3 kids.....It does help to tell him what Im doing and why. I have to share this....as soon as we got in the car at the airport...when we got to the FIRST red light..he said..go go go...why are you waiting??? LOL...ummm because I have a red light honey... he couldn't understand why we have to stop at a red light if no cars are coming...I had to explain. Hmmm... he's getting it now...but is amazed at all the "wasted time" at a stoplight and in traffic. LOL...not cairo traffic...welcome to America. Anyways..we are in the parking lot mode and he is learning the brakes (yes they do work...so no need to hit them to the floor) and he's getting the accelerator. Last night...after reading the manual...while we were driving..he kept telling me what all the road signs mean, and the road markings...fast learner.

Anyways...I'd say if you are nervous about teaching...pay to have a professional. Its not for everyone.

Good luck.

Faith

Advice taken :) Hes going to have his first lesson tomorrow. I know it is exspensive , but its true they know how to teach driving :thumbs:

Good for you! I believe it's the best way to go.

carlahmsb4.gif