justsomebody

RFE for Photocopy of Letter of Intent

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

They need to see original signatures on your letters of intent, hence you getting the RFE. It's one of the documents you shouldn't send photocopies of.

good thing is, when you send in original letters, you should be adjudicated quite quickly.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Has anyone else that submitted an I-129F along with the signed FC-029 received a RFE for photocopies of the letter of intent? In other words, USCIS wanted the "Original" papers of the letter of intent and the photocopy submitted was not good enough.

The word, "original" is clearly in the instructions. So, by definition, a photocopy isn't good enough. It's even more critical you follow the exact instructions on your RFE, including the specified time to respond.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Timeline

Pushbrk and Cassie:

Are both of you speaking from experience with getting an RFE because you submitted photocopies of the letter of intent?

The form FC-029 seems to over-ride the need for "originals". Form FC-029 states:

"The Immigration and Naturalization Service has

changed the policy requiring submission of original documents

or certified copies of documents with applications and

petitions.

You may now submit ordinary legible photocopies of

the original documents required, including Naturalization

Certificates and Alien Registration Cards. Please submit copies

of both sides of documents. You may be required to present

the original documents during any subsequent contacts with the

Service.

The following statement must be signed and dated by

either the applicant. the petitioner. or the attorney. and

submitted with each petition and/or application."

Also, when I called the USCIS the person I spoke with said that "originals" were not needed, even after I pointed out that the instructions on the I-129F on 5b ask for originals. The lady pointed me to the form FC-029.

I am looking for people that have experience with getting an RFE because originals were not submitted for the letter of intent and also a signed FC-029 was submitted.

Timeline

No, I didn't send in a copy of the letters of intent.

The original documents that the form is speaking of are things like a birth certificate, passport, divorce decree, Naturalization Certificates and Alien Registration Cards (for example). It is not talking about the Letter of Intent. If that language meant the Letter of Intent as well, you wouldn't have gotten an RFE asking for the original letters of intent!

Just submit the original letters, keeping a copy for yourself, and get your case adjudicated!

And I don't think form FC-029 is even used anymore. I just did a scan of the USCIS website, and it isn't on the list of immigration forms or anything. Not sure why the misinformation line directed you to an out-of-date form.

Edited by Cassie

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

Cassie:

I did not get an RFE. Never said I got an RFE. I am trying to establish if a photocopy of the letter of intent is accepted. I need only people that fit the following 2 conditions to answer about the photocopies, since people that did not submit photocopies of the letter of intent can not say what would happen from experience:

1. submitted photocopies of the letter of intent and received their NOA2 with no RFEs for the letter of intent

2. or people that submitted photocopies of the letter of intent and did receive an RFE for this

Thanks for trying to help, but I am really looking for more solid evidence to say one way or another from people with experience.

Timeline

You're right, I did mis-read your original post, my apologies.

my question is: why are you so worried about this?

I'm not worried. I have the originals of my letters of intent to send in right away if I do get an RFE.

I am trying to get an answer because I see some people saying that it must be original and I think that may not be true. I was told by USCIS, for what it is worth, that it did not need to be original. So, I am just trying to see what experience people have had to determine what the real answer is.

Timeline

Gotcha. I guess I would be hesitant to place my faith in an obsolete form and the misinformation phone line (which is not USCIS btw, but a third party contractor that is known for getting things wrong). But that's just me. You're prepared in case you do get an RFE, and that's all that matters really. Best wishes to you for a speedy process!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I'm not worried. I have the originals of my letters of intent to send in right away if I do get an RFE.

I am trying to get an answer because I see some people saying that it must be original and I think that may not be true. I was told by USCIS, for what it is worth, that it did not need to be original. So, I am just trying to see what experience people have had to determine what the real answer is.

Great. Please keep us posted on whether you get an RFE. The I-129F instructions specifically state the letters of intent are to be signed originals. The section you quoted about photocopies doesn't apply to letters of intent.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline
Something I read on this forum, suggested sending "UPDATED" letters of intent. So I sent a new one for me and a copy for my fiance to sign also. I also updated my letter telling about our relationship because I had visited again.

Where did you send them to? The updated letters of intent are for the interview phase, and must be submitted by the foreign fiance while she/he attends the interview at the Consulate.

APPLIED FOR NATURALIZATION 07/2021

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.05.2011 - Check cashed

08.08.2011- NOA Received

08.19.2011 - Biometrics Letter Received

09.12.2011 - Biometrics Appointment

01.27.2012 - Card production ordered

02.01.2012 - 10 year GC Received

07.25.2021 - N400 filed online

08.09.2021- Biometrics re-use notice

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

05.19.2022- Oath Ceremony in MN

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Yeah, I had been wondering if they would accept a photocopy, since Mexican mail takes forever (if it arrives at all) and it would be easier for my fiance to scan and e-mail or fax them to me then mailing them...

But I called the UCIS cust. serv. line yesterday and the guy (who was very rude by the way...) said they HAVE to be originals. Which means Fer is going to have to spend 40$ to FedEx the forms to me...greeeat.

K-1 Visa Journey

October 1, 2010: I-129F sent

October 5, 2010: I-129F received

October 12, 2010: NOA1 e-mail received, routed to VSC

October 16, 2010: NOA1 hard copy received (dated October 7, 2010)

April 18, 2011: RFE e-mail

April 20, 2011: RFE hardcopy received

April 20, 2011: RFE response sent to VSC

May 2, 2011: E-mail confirming VSC has received RFE response

July 27, 2011: NOA2 e-mail received (9 months, 2 weeks, and 6 days (292 days) after NOA1

July 30, 2011: NOA2 hard copy

August 4, 2011: NVC received case

August 8, 2011: NVC forwarded case to US Consulate in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico

August 8, 2011: Consulate received case

August 25, 2011: Consulate mailed packet 3

September 3, 2011: Received Packet 3 in US

September 20, 2011: Interview! Not enough information in the system to make a decision

September 26, 2011: K1 visa approved and received via DHL

October 20, 2011: POE at Phoenix, Arizona

October 26, 2011: Married

AOS Journey

11-7-2011 - AOS package sent to lockbox in Chicago, IL

11-9-2011 - AOS package delivered and signed for

11-15-2011 - NOA1 e-mails received (NOA1 date November 10), routed to NBC

11-16-2011 - Check Cashed

11-21-2011 - Hard Copies & Biometrics Appointment Letter Received

11-29-2011 - Biometrics done via walk-in! (Originally scheduled for 12/14/11)

12-2-2011 - Case transferred to CSC

1-17-2012 - EAD/AP Card Production Ordered

1-25-2012 - EAD/AP card received in mail

3-7-2012 - RFE issued

3-19-2012 - RFE response received by CSC

4-4-2012 - Green Card Production!

4-10-12 - GC received in mail

January 3, 2014: ROC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.