Karaoke

Long Term Car Rental

19 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

I'll be travelling to see my USC spouse (if they do not send me back at Immigration!) since I am only at my first month of waiting after filing my I-130...

I am planning to stay a couple of months, but I'll neeed a car. What's the best option to rent one, knowing that I have a non-US driving licence? Since damage waiver is very expensive, is there any option? In case my USC spouse can rent it for me, if it makes any difference..

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

Why doesn't your spouse just buy you a car? You are going to need one anyway apparently once you get there permanently.

If it must be a rental, I would have your spouse call his/her insurance and ask if his/her insurance would cover you driving a rental.

Edited by Wacken

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

i would suggest to just go and get a US license first, then it takes care of all the trouble from it.

We thought about buying a car, leasing a car (my sweet said it wasn't a good idea in LA because the distances are so far), and after all we will probably share his car for the first few months until i get a job :).

(it was more $$ responsible for the start).

Removal of conditions

01.11.2011 Remove conditions GC I-751 ($590)

01.18.2011 NOA1

02.24.2011 Biometric

03.25.2011 Approved

03.28.2011 Notice sent

03.31.2011 Received new green card (and it's green !)

AOS/EAD/AP from K1

07.23.2008 Send AOS/EAD/AP

07.29.2008 Check cashed

08.01.2008 NOA1

08.08.2008 Biometric Notice received

08.21.2008 Biometric Appointment

09.22.2008 Approval notice sent for AP (CRIS email)

09.22.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email)

09.25.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email) and a couple of touch since (last one 09.30.2008)

09.27.2008 Reception AP

10.02.2008 EAD Received

02.23.2009 Notice for interview (1.5 month late compared to LA statistics)

03.16.2009 AOS Touch

04.01.2009 Interview in LA  // Approved 

04.06.2009 Welcome to the USA Letter

04.13.2009 Reception GC

Naturalization
06/2016 Request
03/2017 Interview

Almost at the end !

Timeline

i checked rent-a-wreck, it sound kinda cool.

of course as pricey as buying a car....

for 1 month, for a compact it's is 14.75 a day

a loan on a car you own (around a 40k SUV) would cost you 14.90 a day (and of course less for a compact)

All that taken in consideration, and the fact that you will most probably need a car, i would either share the one with your so or buy one.

Removal of conditions

01.18.2011 NOA1

02.24.2011 Biometric

03.25.2011 Approved

03.28.2011 Notice sent

AOS/EAD/AP from K1

07.29.2008 Check cashed

08.01.2008 NOA1

09.25.2008 Card production ordered for EAD (CRIS email) and a couple of touch since (last one 09.30.2008)

09.27.2008 Reception AP

10.02.2008 EAD Received

03.16.2009 AOS Touch

04.13.2009 Reception GC

Naturalization
06/2016 Request
03/2017 Interview

Almost at the end !

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
i would suggest to just go and get a US license first, then it takes care of all the trouble from it.

We thought about buying a car, leasing a car (my sweet said it wasn't a good idea in LA because the distances are so far), and after all we will probably share his car for the first few months until i get a job :) .

(it was more $$ responsible for the start).

She is not eligible for a US license...she is a visitor...her foreign is perfectly good for driving here.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi. Try Enterprise Rent a Car at www.enterprise.com. They usually have good monthly rates, sometimes much less expensive than the regular Airport based companies like Hertz and Avis, etc...

Good Luck!

Warm Regards,

Samby

Wishing Everyone Speed, Success, Happiness and Love,

TinTin and Samby

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
Hi. Try Enterprise Rent a Car at www.enterprise.com. They usually have good monthly rates, sometimes much less expensive than the regular Airport based companies like Hertz and Avis, etc...

Good Luck!

Warm Regards,

Samby

There may be a good reason for that! :rofl:

I would rent from them again, but I know I will probably have to go through three vehicles to get to one that will actually drives OK, works. We rented a cargo van from there last Saturday and none of the warning lights in the back worked at all. The second van they gave us drove like garbage. Wanted to run off the road. We were already behind, so didn't have time with them messing with finding a third van at 6:30am on a Saturday.

When my Volvo was totalled, the other insurance company sent me to them. They first gave me a Cobalt that wanted to kill itself with every mile and the exhaust was rattling. Then they gave me a Hyundai Sonata and that was actually acceptable.

Edited by Wacken

Timeline

16.16 a day for entreprise for a compact... (for a montly rent)

rent a wreck (despite its name still sound more interesting)

sorry i didnt read you were just visiting !

Removal of conditions

01.18.2011 NOA1

02.24.2011 Biometric

03.25.2011 Approved

03.28.2011 Notice sent

AOS/EAD/AP from K1

07.29.2008 Check cashed

08.01.2008 NOA1

09.27.2008 Reception AP

10.02.2008 EAD Received

03.16.2009 AOS Touch

04.13.2009 Reception GC

Naturalization
06/2016 Request
03/2017 Interview

Almost at the end !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My friend is a manager at Hertz. He said the following: Possessing a non-US DL has no effect on rental fees nor should you be required to purchase any extra liability coverage. They rent to non-USCs every day. As long as you have a valid credit card, in your name, you are good to go. They will give you a better rate if you need the vehicle for long term. :)

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm in Vancouver till tomorrow. Since January I've rented a car from Budget. It costs me around $500 a month (they had a special January-end of February). Tack on rental car insurance (not through Budget) it's about $10/day.

I prefer renting a car long term.

Call up the rental companies and ask them what their monthly rate is. Better yet, google all the big rental companies and do their rate calculator online. That's how I found Budget had the 399/month special.

HTH,

J

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good Luck!

Warm Regards,

Samby

There may be a good reason for that! :rofl:

I would rent from them again, but I know I will probably have to go through three vehicles to get to one that will actually drives OK, works. We rented a cargo van from there last Saturday and none of the warning lights in the back worked at all. The second van they gave us drove like garbage. Wanted to run off the road. We were already behind, so didn't have time with them messing with finding a third van at 6:30am on a Saturday.

When my Volvo was totalled, the other insurance company sent me to them. They first gave me a Cobalt that wanted to kill itself with every mile and the exhaust was rattling. Then they gave me a Hyundai Sonata and that was actually acceptable.

I have rented from Enterprise over 20 times in the past 10 years in 4 different states. Never had a single problem.

Warm regards,

Samby

Wishing Everyone Speed, Success, Happiness and Love,

TinTin and Samby

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

I'd rather avoid the big names because I am afraind I'd get a raw deal... thanks to everyone for the opinions..

I have also found cheap car rental... will see which one is cheaper. I do not care the car is great.. as long as it drives me approx a couple of hours per day for 2 months or so.. Buying another car does not seem a good option. Will buy one when I finally get my greencard and US DL...

For now, for visiting, I just need cheap transportation, without any risks. Will see if I can cover part of the damage liability with my spouse car insurance, but I doubt they can insure a car that is owned by a rental company?

I do not mind the rates, what is too expensive usually is damage liability etc...

16.16 a day for entreprise for a compact... (for a montly rent)

rent a wreck (despite its name still sound more interesting)

sorry i didnt read you were just visiting !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.