doodlebugg

The Guilt

61 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

How did you all handle the guilt of knowing you were the cause of the sorrow in the last week or so before your husband/wife left their family? They're all crying over there and I'm beside myself with guilt. :crying:

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

Oh Bridget, I guess his sisters are devasted about their brother leaving. AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, I understand and it is sooooooooo sweet. Tell them he has to come in order for them to see their new nephew/niece, on a return trip and that trip will be a wonderful one. :dance:

A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.

Eleanor Roosevelt

thquitsmoking3.jpg

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

They'll get over it. And, in my experience, it is nothing like the frustrations and guilt they will make him feel in the near future.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline

he didn't offer it up. I called this morning to whine about how I hate going into work early on Thursdays and he was sniffling. He has had a "cold" for the past month and all of a sudden it dawned on me so I tweaked it out of him and then the waterworks came along with the confession that he's been crying at every single salat for the past few weeks when he makes dua for his sisters to be protected. He opened up to me because he doesn't want his sisters to know that he's crying. I asked how they're doing and he said they don't look sad around him but their eyes are all poofy and red all the time. :(

I told him to get a calendar and put a tentative date for next summer to go back and that way they can all count down the months and it will give them something to look forward to.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hmmm. I didn't feel guilty. I didn't live with him for 2 years and they had him his whole life :) We're moving back so they can all have him back then! I guess I'm just forward-looking. His family didn't feel guilty about me not seeing him :) So anyway, I guess try to look at it as levels of importance. In Islam a man is supposed to have first responsibility to his wife and children, and second to his family. They are not supposed to hinder your relationship. he is only a flight or a phone call away from them. I guess if you felt really guilty you could look at moving back over there with him? Or would things be complicated because of your children? I hope you feel better soon. Just wait-- they'll cry on all the phone calls too :) But that's just sort of something either they will have to get used to, or you will have to get over. the difficulty, IMO, is him and how he deals with it and how you deal with him dealing with it :) You should probably try to be as supportive as possible and encourage him... and just be there for him when he is feeling blue!

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Timeline

I know how your feeling with the guilt. His mom is 73 and this is her first child to leave so far from home. She's been crying all week. Just about every member of his family has gotten on the phone to tell me...Sehrab from my heart..which is there way of saying please take care of him.

He didn't leave himself much time to linger with them at the airport and I think that made it easier on him to leave. Not as much building up about him leaving while they are sitting waiting. Still his mom is having the toughest time...he's the baby of the family and the one she always relies on to help her. I've worked it out where he is just a phone call away from them and vise versa, I'm hoping that eases things and makes her feel better. I expect them to be on the phone all the time...at least for awhile.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

thanks for referring me, bridget! lol

i'm going through this right now!!!!!!!! i feel so bad! :crying: makes me wanna pick up and go to him--but it'll be the same exact thing...lol...his sisters and mother are devastated and i'm sure they've been crying for a while...his mother was depressed since the interview, cuz she knew the day was coming closer...

i don't know what to do...and when i hear them crying, i cry and then, i only make things worse :crying: they're always like "please take care of him...etc" i wish he wasn't the youngest or the only son!! lol...it would be easier, i think..

i just pray that Allah makes this easy on everyone..

I know how your feeling with the guilt. His mom is 73 and this is her first child to leave so far from home. She's been crying all week. Just about every member of his family has gotten on the phone to tell me...Sehrab from my heart..which is there way of saying please take care of him.

He didn't leave himself much time to linger with them at the airport and I think that made it easier on him to leave. Not as much building up about him leaving while they are sitting waiting. Still his mom is having the toughest time...he's the baby of the family and the one she always relies on to help her. I've worked it out where he is just a phone call away from them and vise versa, I'm hoping that eases things and makes her feel better. I expect them to be on the phone all the time...at least for awhile.

we're in the same boat!

::There’s a laugh in my eyes::

There’s a waltz in my walk

And it’s been such a long time

Since there was hope in my talk

If you never knew

What it is that’s new.. it’s you

‘Cause when your hands are in mine

You set a fire that everyone can see

And it’s burning away

Every bad memory

To tell you the truth

If it’s something new.. baby it’s you

It’s you in the morning

It’s you in the night

A beautiful angel came down

To light up my life

The world’s a different place

Where nothing’s too hard to say

And nothing’s too hard to do

Never too much to go through

To tell you the truth

Everything that’s new.. baby it’s you

It’s you in the morning

It’s you in the night

A beautiful angel came down

To light up my life

My life, my life

Ohh

So if I get to grow old (oh if I get to grow old)

With many years behind me (many years behind me)

There’s only one thing I want (aahh)

One thing I need beside me

For all that you are

For everything you do

For all that you’ve done

Just for showing me the truth

::It’s you...It’s you...Baby it’s you::

--Westlife

...alhamdullah...rabbina ya khallena le ba3d fil donya wa fil akhra...ameen...

Timeline
Maybe my inlaws don't miss my husband that much because they NEVER cry on the phone, lol. :D

LOL! Or they can control themselves better. For me it's a whole weird thing and I think it's bad for him too... it just makes for bad feelings and guilt, you know? It also makes for him not wanting to call because of the way they act.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Timeline
Hmmm. I didn't feel guilty. I didn't live with him for 2 years and they had him his whole life :) We're moving back so they can all have him back then! I guess I'm just forward-looking. His family didn't feel guilty about me not seeing him :) So anyway, I guess try to look at it as levels of importance. In Islam a man is supposed to have first responsibility to his wife and children, and second to his family. They are not supposed to hinder your relationship. he is only a flight or a phone call away from them. I guess if you felt really guilty you could look at moving back over there with him? Or would things be complicated because of your children? I hope you feel better soon. Just wait-- they'll cry on all the phone calls too :) But that's just sort of something either they will have to get used to, or you will have to get over. the difficulty, IMO, is him and how he deals with it and how you deal with him dealing with it :) You should probably try to be as supportive as possible and encourage him... and just be there for him when he is feeling blue!

We are moving there when my kids are done with college so a ways away for us. In Islam yes he is responsible to me but in my husband's case he is also responsible for his family because he is the only son, the oldest sibling and their parents and all aunts/uncles are dead except one aunt. He is the wali for his sisters in all respects. He has asked his cousin, the one who stood as a witness at our marriage, to look after them but still it is not the same. His oldest sister is a very strong woman but still it's hard.

Filed: Other Timeline

*sigh* I know I am going to be going through the same thing, Govi is the only son and the first of his family to emigrate. He always helps his family and I know it will be so hard for them. Luckily they just got a computer(no web access yet though) :( so hopefully by the time he comes they can chat and cam every day and yes we are definitely going back to Nepal so we can count down the months even if it begins with 24 and it seems like such a long time....

thanks for referring me, bridget! lol

i'm going through this right now!!!!!!!! i feel so bad! :crying: makes me wanna pick up and go to him--but it'll be the same exact thing...lol...his sisters and mother are devastated and i'm sure they've been crying for a while...his mother was depressed since the interview, cuz she knew the day was coming closer...

i don't know what to do...and when i hear them crying, i cry and then, i only make things worse :crying: they're always like "please take care of him...etc" i wish he wasn't the youngest or the only son!! lol...it would be easier, i think..

i just pray that Allah makes this easy on everyone..

we're in the same boat!

thkirby-1.gifpetblink46.gif
BuddhaEyesGlobe.gif1433707c1j51myzp6.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husbands mother asked him to just stay through Eid. I, acting like a child, threw a temper tantrum. I told him that I had waited 3 years since I met him and 2 years since our marriage. I had a total of less than 2 months with him. I want him....NOW. Well, after a few days I remember what being a mom means and apologized. I told him to stay and be with his mom for Eid. He gave it some serious thought and decided to come any way. His mom was sad yes, but as my husband explained. She knew that not only did he need to start his own life, but he would have a better life here with me than he would ever have with any other woman there. She is a mother, she wants the best for her son.

I hope that your husbands family will feel the same.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

When Wadi returned to Morocco to wait for the visa, it had been over 6 years since he had seen his family and he got to spend a good 5 months catching up. When he actually got the visa, we thought that he would be able to go back yearly no problem, so I didn't feel guilty, considering the situation was going to be *better* for his family in terms of frequency of visits than before.

2+ years later and he hasn't been back yet, so I feel a little guilty. But having a family that is accustomed to going long periods of time without seeing him does alleviate that.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.