sasa

attention: for who have name check with FBI!!!

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline
Thank you :)... I don't have any criminal background... i just a little bit worried about different check.. I have some small debts in my home country (credit cards)... i didn't pay as I don't have job here so really don't have money to pay back.. :blush: so what worried me a little bit.. :whistle: .

I doubt they care about credit. I think they are after much bigger fishes ;)

so that means that they cancelled the 180 days memo of the fbi name check??? i ve got my interview in july 07 and waiting till now???

Not necessarily. Whethery they do give you the GC or not; you still need to get your name check cleared. If you don't "pass" the name check, the GC will be taken away from you (which is why they are not doing that for citizens because you can't quite revoke citizenship). So who knows what it really means.

So it might mean that those of us waiting more than 180 days will get our GCs without the name check, but that they want to complete the name check soon thereafter.

that wouldn't make things much different I guess than the memo.

i don t think so .....it s confusing and need some clearnce

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

i don t think so .....it s confusing and need some clearnce

This is a summary of the old memo. It makes me think, like a Cecy said, that since they can't rescind citizenship, they have to do the name check first, but that they can still complete AOS without the name check (and rescind it later). I think there goal is just to keep up with the name checks.

or at least I hope so...

NewsFlash! Faster Security Clearances for I-485s and Other Applications

Posted Feb 07, 2008

©MurthyDotCom

The USCIS issued an Interoffice Memorandum on February 4, 2008 under the subject of "Revised National Security Adjudication and Reporting Requirements." The memo makes important changes to the security check procedures for cases pending before the USCIS, aligning the USCIS's procedures for background and security checks in connection with certain applications with the procedures used by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). In short, it will now be possible for the USCIS to approve the I-485, Application for Adjustment of Status, even where the FBI name check clearance has not been received, if the name check takes longer than 180 days.

Approvable Case Must Be Approved on Most Cases if Check Exceeds 180 Days

Under the recent guidance issued on February 4, 2008, it will still be necessary to have a definitive Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) fingerprint check, as well as an Interagency Border Inspection Systems (IBIS) check. Any issues with these checks must be resolved before the I-485 Application (and other applications like the I-601, I-687 and I-698) can be approved. However, if a case is otherwise approvable, and the FBI name check has been pending for more than 180 days, the USCIS must approve the case. The FBI fingerprint check, IBIS and FBI name check must be obtained and resolved on all N-400 cases before a person can become a U.S. citizen.

Later Negative Information Could Result in Rescission / Removal

If negative information is obtained after case approval, the USCIS will then determine whether the permanent residence status should be rescinded or the individual should be placed in removal proceedings. The FBI has stated that it is committed to providing name check results within the 180-day time period.

Conclusion

This policy, if carried out as stated, should result in the approval of many long-delayed cases. Of course, it is still necessary to meet all other I-485 requirements, including the availability of a visa number. This change with regard to name checks in no way addresses the case delays due to retrogression and lack of visa numbers.

Copyright © 2008, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

Summer 2001--we met in Manzanillo, Mexico

10/02--129F submitted (We had 1 RFE)

7/03--Interview in Ciudad Juarez

2/15/04--Married

4/2/04--AOS submitted

8/23/04--Interview in Chula Vista, CA (approved pending name check)

5 EADs, 3 APs, multiple Senators' inquiries and infopass appts, 2 AOS biometrics,

and one move to Seattle later...

3/3/08--AOS Biometrics renewal in Seattle

6/9/08--10 year green card arrived in the mail. My husband is no longer in immigration limbo and is a realio, trulio permanent resident! It says he's been a resident since 04/17/2008.

1/17/11--Apply for Citizenship

Timeline

Posted Feb 07, 2008

©MurthyDotCom

The USCIS issued an Interoffice Memorandum on February 4, 2008 under the subject of "Revised National Security Adjudication and Reporting Requirements." The memo makes important changes to the security check procedures for cases pending before the USCIS, aligning the USCIS's procedures for background and security checks in connection with certain applications with the procedures used by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). In short, it will now be possible for the USCIS to approve the I-485, Application for Adjustment of Status, even where the FBI name check clearance has not been received, if the name check takes longer than 180 days.

Approvable Case Must Be Approved on Most Cases if Check Exceeds 180 Days

Under the recent guidance issued on February 4, 2008, it will still be necessary to have a definitive Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) fingerprint check, as well as an Interagency Border Inspection Systems (IBIS) check. Any issues with these checks must be resolved before the I-485 Application (and other applications like the I-601, I-687 and I-698) can be approved. However, if a case is otherwise approvable, and the FBI name check has been pending for more than 180 days, the USCIS must approve the case. The FBI fingerprint check, IBIS and FBI name check must be obtained and resolved on all N-400 cases before a person can become a U.S. citizen.

Later Negative Information Could Result in Rescission / Removal

If negative information is obtained after case approval, the USCIS will then determine whether the permanent residence status should be rescinded or the individual should be placed in removal proceedings. The FBI has stated that it is committed to providing name check results within the 180-day time period.

Conclusion

This policy, if carried out as stated, should result in the approval of many long-delayed cases. Of course, it is still necessary to meet all other I-485 requirements, including the availability of a visa number. This change with regard to name checks in no way addresses the case delays due to retrogression and lack of visa numbers.

Copyright © 2008, MURTHY LAW FIRM. All Rights Reserved

by the way i think ur case will be approved by this month .coz u said it was touched in april so ur gc in the way

Thank you :)... I don't have any criminal background... i just a little bit worried about different check.. I have some small debts in my home country (credit cards)... i didn't pay as I don't have job here so really don't have money to pay back.. :blush: so what worried me a little bit.. :whistle: .

I doubt they care about credit. I think they are after much bigger fishes ;)

so that means that they cancelled the 180 days memo of the fbi name check??? i ve got my interview in july 07 and waiting till now???

Not necessarily. Whethery they do give you the GC or not; you still need to get your name check cleared. If you don't "pass" the name check, the GC will be taken away from you (which is why they are not doing that for citizens because you can't quite revoke citizenship). So who knows what it really means.

So it might mean that those of us waiting more than 180 days will get our GCs without the name check, but that they want to complete the name check soon thereafter.

that wouldn't make things much different I guess than the memo.

by the way i think ur case will be approved by this month .coz u said it was touched in april so ur gc in the way

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I wish it were so... but they touched my husband's work card, not the I-485 application. :(

The work card was already mailed out so I have no idea why they touched it, but I sure hope you're right anyway!

Thanks for the positive thinking.

I wish you a speedy process, too.

Summer 2001--we met in Manzanillo, Mexico

10/02--129F submitted (We had 1 RFE)

7/03--Interview in Ciudad Juarez

2/15/04--Married

4/2/04--AOS submitted

8/23/04--Interview in Chula Vista, CA (approved pending name check)

5 EADs, 3 APs, multiple Senators' inquiries and infopass appts, 2 AOS biometrics,

and one move to Seattle later...

3/3/08--AOS Biometrics renewal in Seattle

6/9/08--10 year green card arrived in the mail. My husband is no longer in immigration limbo and is a realio, trulio permanent resident! It says he's been a resident since 04/17/2008.

1/17/11--Apply for Citizenship

Timeline

I wish it were so... but they touched my husband's work card, not the I-485 application. :(

The work card was already mailed out so I have no idea why they touched it, but I sure hope you're right anyway!

Thanks for the positive thinking.

I wish you a speedy process, too.

thanx

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

A touch only means that something was done with the application. It can just mean it changed desk or was looked out. It means nothing about getting the card.

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

Timeline

A touch only means that something was done with the application. It can just mean it changed desk or was looked out. It means nothing about getting the card.

my i 485 hasn t been touched since sep 2007 ?i don t know whats going on can it get approved without touch?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

my i 485 hasn t been touched since sep 2007 ?i don t know whats going on can it get approved without touch?

I believe a few people have been approved with no email or touches, so here is hoping it happens really soon for you.

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

Timeline

I believe a few people have been approved with no email or touches, so here is hoping it happens really soon for you.

i hope so coz i m really dieing!!

Really, what is so confusing here? They have a huge backlog and changed the regulations. They have to have a method to clear the backlog and trudge on. The goal, as they state, is to have the namechecks completed in 90 days max for the 2% deemed "difficult cases" all others are to be completed in 30 days. They want to have these processing times by June 2009.

They also outline a timeline for those already waiting. Do you see the variance in the timeline? By May 08 and July 08 they want to eliminate the 2+ and 3+ year backlog (that means those waitng now). Then everything else going forward really just is a goal for them. As in - by Feb 2009 they want to be able to sustain namecheck clearances within 180 days. Pieces of this posted timeline do affect those waiting now, but parts are just their goal to bring them to June 09.

Think of it as phasing out the "old way" of long drawn out namechecks prior to adjudication of the PR.

Timeline
Really, what is so confusing here? They have a huge backlog and changed the regulations. They have to have a method to clear the backlog and trudge on. The goal, as they state, is to have the namechecks completed in 90 days max for the 2% deemed "difficult cases" all others are to be completed in 30 days. They want to have these processing times by June 2009.

They also outline a timeline for those already waiting. Do you see the variance in the timeline? By May 08 and July 08 they want to eliminate the 2+ and 3+ year backlog (that means those waitng now). Then everything else going forward really just is a goal for them. As in - by Feb 2009 they want to be able to sustain namecheck clearances within 180 days. Pieces of this posted timeline do affect those waiting now, but parts are just their goal to bring them to June 09.

Think of it as phasing out the "old way" of long drawn out namechecks prior to adjudication of the PR.

and what about the memo which was in 2th of feb 2008 which said anybody ve name pending with fbi for more than 180 days will be getting his card than the fbi name check will continue!!!

so they do memo every month change the other one .

i m pending more than 180 day and they said in the timeline i will be done by feb 2009 but believe me they will change that by new memo and extend it more!!

that horrible!!

and what about the memo which was in 2th of feb 2008 which said anybody ve name pending with fbi for more than 180 days will be getting his card than the fbi name check will continue!!!

i m pending more than 180 day and they said in the timeline i will be done by feb 2009 but believe me they will change that by new memo and extend it more!!

that horrible!!

How is it at all realistic to think that one day a memo can go in effect, and the next have the whole backlog cleared so those who filed 6 months ago can get their greencards? I dont know any business that can work this way. This should be expected - and for the record we are pending 900 days - so it's not like I don't have an idea how hard the wait can be. Just be patient - you are actually luckier than some.

estadia - yes sure it slows down in the interim. Seriously though, this is more than what we were lobbying for (note that American Families United is behind this regulations change) and is an unbelievable change for filing. Once they get the backlog under control it will speed up (as always).

Edited by LaL

Timeline

that horrible!!

How is it at all realistic to think that one day a memo can go in effect, and the next have the whole backlog cleared so those who filed 6 months ago can get their greencards? I dont know any business that can work this way. This should be expected - and for the record we are pending 900 days - so it's not like I don't have an idea how hard the wait can be. Just be patient - you are actually luckier than some.

estadia - yes sure it slows down in the interim. Seriously though, this is more than what we were lobbying for (note that American Families United is behind this regulations change) and is an unbelievable change for filing. Once they get the backlog under control it will speed up (as always).

so it was better not to announce memo and give the ppl the hope and than take it away!!

and by the way it s not hard to give the ppl the GC than continue the fbi name background .it s not me who announce that it the uscis .coz we already live here so it will not change anything if they give us the GC !!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.